PDA

View Full Version : ebook piracy questions

1000possibleclaws
12-23-2013, 10:44 PM
I'm curious how easy it is to get pirated ebooks onto your reading device, as I'm on the fence of buying a kindle or some other sort of ereader, but haven't really done the research on the torrent side, as to whether I can just drag and drop them in, or if I have to hack or flash the device first, like you do with xbox piracy. Anyone have experience?

edit: found a guide and it doesn't look hard (http://www.zoklet.net/bbs/showthread.php?t=145894)

This is a pretty good xmas gift idea imo for parents, cause I think they are alot lighter than tablets.

IdolEyes787
12-23-2013, 10:55 PM
This is brilliant and handles multiple formats and allows you to sync with Ereaders.
http://calibre-ebook.com/about

mlindsay
12-24-2013, 05:30 AM
It shouldn't be hard at all if you know what you are doing. Of course the same could be said with anything in life :) I have thousands of ebooks I can use with my tablet ( which I am using as an e-reader ) and I have never paid a cent.
Just find the format you are comfortable with. For me it was PDF because PDF reader was easy to install and PDF is reliable among many devices but you could you other ebook formats, it really depends on your device and your preference.
The best way to find free ebooks for me was actually just to google " author or title " + PDF and bang lots of hits and free PDF files that only take seconds to download. Lots of people have private collections and there are certain sites that have thousands of authors entire collections stored and cached. I can't unfortunately tell you which site because last time I posted this info for two sites, both sites got somehow taken offline. However using this method you can get every author's book ever written. ( Practically ) :)

megabyteme
12-24-2013, 06:45 AM
This is brilliant and [...] allows you to sync with breeders.

Way to reach out.

teflon05
12-24-2013, 07:14 AM
There are also torrent sites dedicated to ebooks only...They are already stripped of DRM and are available in multiple formats. Newsgroups & IRC also have loads of ebooks available.

I've been using IRC a lot lately myself. The files are small, so they transfer fast & you can find almost anything you want in any format you want. There's a good guide HERE (http://mireille.it/how-to-download-ebooks-for-free-within-seconds-no-spam-and-no-torrent-searches/#win) if you aren't familiar with IRC & downloading files from it.

And, as Idol stated, the Calibre program is great for organizing/converting/transferring and even reading ebooks. It will convert almost all formats, and with a available plug-in installed, it can even remove DRM from purchased ebooks. It's an all around great program

IdolEyes787
12-24-2013, 01:26 PM
And, as Idol stated, the Calibre program is great.....

What I really wanted to say was read real,physical books you fucking heathen but being Christmas I didn't think that appropriate.:)

If it weren't Christmas I probably would have added something like,happiness is not about what you possess but what you can achieve and I'm sure that thought will be entirely lost on all you GPS loving motherfuckers but it's Christmas so I shan't.:)

One note though.Don't use your tablet to read Fahrenheit 451 because the book tends to not much a lot of sense then.

justlooking
12-24-2013, 02:24 PM
What I really wanted to say was read real,physical books you fucking heathen

I don't know about real, physical books. They seem kind of dangerous to me. You could get ink all over your hands, and if it's toxic, watch out! If it's a heavy book, holding it up while in bed will put a strain on your wrists and arthritis could set in. If the book drops on your lap, it could cause irreparable penile damage. I don't think it's worth the risk.

teflon05
12-24-2013, 02:59 PM
To answer your original question. no you don't need to modify your reader in any way to put the ebooks on it. You can just drag & drop them into the appropriate folder on your ereader. Calibre does make it easier though, & helps keep your ebooks more organized & backed up on your PC. It's a free program, by the way.

What I really wanted to say was read real,physical books you fucking heathen but being Christmas I didn't think that appropriate.:)

If it weren't Christmas I probably would have added something like,happiness is not about what you possess but what you can achieve and I'm sure that thought will be entirely lost on all you GPS loving motherfuckers but it's Christmas so I shan't.:)

One note though.Don't use your tablet to read Fahrenheit 451 because the book tends to not much a lot of sense then.

Then I guess I shouldn't mention that I have both a kindle & a Nook HD+ & I have that book on both of them. Among other classics...:pinch:

tripnip
12-29-2013, 03:42 PM
Anyone have experience creating ebooks/magazines? I trying to do some mostly unavailable magazines but I believe copiers these days embed identifying dots in their images and I wonder if typical consumer grade cameras do the same.

randia
12-29-2013, 09:57 PM
creating and correcting ebooks is easy I use calibre in connection with Microsoft office frontpage. even unformatted text files can be arranged and edited in frontpage and saved as an html document, which then can be imported into calibre, which can then be easily converted into a perfectly formatted ebook of any format. I have used this method to create hundreds of Ebooks that are otherwise unavailable in anything other than in hardcopy or paperback. When I share these Self created ebooks people always ask where I found them......

buggyfresh
12-30-2013, 11:46 AM
To back previous posts calibre is the bomb - I use it with Aldiko reader on Android - converts everything to epub :D

1000possibleclaws
01-07-2014, 09:04 AM
I've been using calibre and it's great. The advice to just search google worked as well, and most books I search for seem to be hosted on http://filepi.com/

tripnip
01-13-2014, 12:39 AM
creating and correcting ebooks is easy I use calibre in connection with Microsoft office frontpage. even unformatted text files can be arranged and edited in frontpage and saved as an html document, which then can be imported into calibre, which can then be easily converted into a perfectly formatted ebook of any format. I have used this method to create hundreds of Ebooks that are otherwise unavailable in anything other than in hardcopy or paperback. When I share these Self created ebooks people always ask where I found them......

You're talking about file conversion. I'm talking about creation from scratch starting with an actual physical document.

mpitts2k1
01-19-2014, 06:02 AM
Just download to your pc and connest your kindle to transfer ebooks. Aldiko will scan and organize you books on your kindle.

mrharry
01-20-2014, 01:17 AM
Thanks for the info