PDA

View Full Version : Android airplane mode question

Funkin'
12-29-2013, 04:35 AM
When i turn airplane mode on my lock screen will have a "Searching" note on it. When airplane mode is off "T-Mobile" is in its place.

What can i do to turn this Searching off(i can't find anything in settings, roaming is already off)? Cuz I'm sure this is eating up some battery. And I'm always tweaking/tinkering to save battery, that's why i started using airplane mode.

Thanks homos

megabyteme
12-29-2013, 08:20 AM
When i turn airplane mode on my lock screen will have a "Searching" note on it.

I'm not a phone connoisseur, but I'm reasonably sure it is searching for the airplane you told it to look for.

Artemis
12-29-2013, 12:47 PM
When i turn airplane mode on my lock screen will have a "Searching" note on it. When airplane mode is off "T-Mobile" is in its place.

What can i do to turn this Searching off(i can't find anything in settings, roaming is already off)? Cuz I'm sure this is eating up some battery. And I'm always tweaking/tinkering to save battery, that's why i started using airplane mode.

Thanks homos

So the fast version is: Airplane mode disables all transmitters/receivers in the phone, but the searching is uncommon unless you have a third party app installed, or unless T-Mobile themselves have tweaked the OS on your phone. The best forum for information on third party apps and also carrier mods/tweaks is www.xdadevelopers.com. I have never personally come across a phone searching for a network in airplane mode and it is not a standard android feature, so it is definitely some form of modification to your phone, I personally would lean towards a T-Mobile mod to the OS.

One question though, in the rush to preserve battery life, by switching the phone to airplane mode you are effectively crippling it in the interest of longer battery life? You might as well just turn the phone off and save battery that way since in airplane mode it is no longer a phone anyway.

Hope this helps, cork soaker......

Funkin'
01-08-2014, 03:51 AM
That actually made me laurgh mbm.

Anyways thanks artemis. I'll head over to xda and ask the smug fuckers over there about this. I'm using a custom rom so maybe that has something to do with it? Or like you said could be an app.

And i don't think I'm really crippling the phone by using airplane mode. When i no longer want to be bothered by lame friends, co workers, and family's consistent texts/calls, for a while i just flip airplane mode on and use it as a media player instead while saving battery life in the process. Right?

Anyways, thanks for your help. Didn't even think it could be an app causing this.

Biggi2000
01-20-2014, 08:09 PM
If you're using a custom rom my bet would be a bug in the rom. A lot of custom roms have some small bugs left.
Have you checked if you're really using up more battery than you should? Perhaps it isn't searching at all but just showing the message on the lockscreen.

Artemis
01-23-2014, 03:14 AM
That actually made me laurgh mbm.

Anyways thanks artemis. I'll head over to xda and ask the smug fuckers over there about this. I'm using a custom rom so maybe that has something to do with it? Or like you said could be an app.

And i don't think I'm really crippling the phone by using airplane mode. When i no longer want to be bothered by lame friends, co workers, and family's consistent texts/calls, for a while i just flip airplane mode on and use it as a media player instead while saving battery life in the process. Right?

Anyways, thanks for your help. Didn't even think it could be an app causing this.

You are more courageous/anti social than I......

I can just imagine if I said to the wench oh I switched it into airplane mode....

I would probably have to go to the hospital to have the phone removed.... and I would need one of those inflatable donuts to sit for a couple of weeks....so no, bad idea.