PDA

View Full Version : More Rapid Takedowns

JP-NZB
01-14-2014, 11:12 AM
Today I have noticed some surprisingly quick take-downs. I have had problems with Astraweb for a long time but as I subscribed upfront for 12 months I was trying to stick it out.

Today I have noticed a 4 hour old and 6 hour old file show the typical signs of a takedown i.e. a fraction of every rar file left remaining to download. I have never seen files disappear this quickly before from the EU an US Astraweb servers!

I was going to try Newsdemon, but was hoping I could get some advice first.

Also as anyone else experienced these faster takedowns lately?

SgtMajor
01-14-2014, 12:04 PM
Are you just looking for downloads by original and/or true filename alone, or are the files you are looking for scrambled by posters before takedown?

imo, these days, you need to belong to a nzb indexing site that scrambles filenames before posting so that they are not so obvious to the casual newsgroup lurker, or others who get paid good money to keep an eye on uploads and then report them for takedowns.

JP-NZB
01-14-2014, 02:48 PM
They were both scrambled, one was even password protected! I was quite surprised that they were gone already. I may have just been extremely unlucky. Oh well I will see how the next week goes and if it continues I will change provider!

Update:

Weird, I set the non SSL Server as a backup server in SAB and it found the missing blocks from there! Must just be a weird glitch???

:wacko:

Beck38
01-15-2014, 01:21 AM
They were both scrambled, one was even password protected! I was quite surprised that they were gone already. I may have just been extremely unlucky. Oh well I will see how the next week goes and if it continues I will change provider!

Update:

Weird, I set the non SSL Server as a backup server in SAB and it found the missing blocks from there! Must just be a weird glitch???

:wacko:

Your setup may be the culprit, but then again, this idea that 'private' or 'invite only' sites is somehow going to protect things is a real stretch. After all, anyone belong to such could be 'turning you in' so to speak.

I'll take a real hard look at Astra/US in a bit, as far as some glitch happening there, although I spent all day yesterday at full speed grabbing a couple of rather large (100GB+) postings that were between 18 and 30+ months old (very slight errors on both, easily recoverable with pars).

But something new in their system may be being affected, so as I've told folks here time and again, as I post 24/7/365 pretty much, I'm generally the first to trip across some kind of wackiness going on, and there hasn't been a blip going back almost a week, and then it was pretty minor (as Astra blips go).

UPDATE:

A somewhat quick check, and I don't see anything 'weird' going on with Astra/US. I'd be looking critically at your SABnzb settings, or use NZBcc to verify (or not) that the file pieces are there.

piercerseth
01-15-2014, 09:07 PM
Weird, I set the non SSL Server as a backup server in SAB and it found the missing blocks from there! Must just be a weird glitch??? Check your newsreader logs next time. Astra will tell you when an article has been DMCA'd.

JP-NZB
01-16-2014, 10:15 PM
Yeah it was weird. Its been fine since. Thanks for all the great tips in the responses:)

baroke
01-17-2014, 03:46 AM
Tweaknews is an EU server and my experience has been that it takes a couple of weeks to take down there what goes down in hours in the US. It's been a while so I don't know if this deal is still on, but when I signed up for their 10-day free trial (useful for something that has just been taken down), after the trial expired they offered a block download at greatly reduced rates. Again, it's been a while so I don't remember the price but I haven't used up the block yet and rely on it for stuff that I might miss because it has been taken down quickly. I got 250 gigs and have only used 50 so far and it's been quite a long while so I'm happy with the arrangement.

bone409
01-19-2014, 12:22 AM
Tweaknews is an EU server and my experience has been that it takes a couple of weeks to take down there what goes down in hours in the US. It's been a while so I don't know if this deal is still on, but when I signed up for their 10-day free trial (useful for something that has just been taken down), after the trial expired they offered a block download at greatly reduced rates. Again, it's been a while so I don't remember the price but I haven't used up the block yet and rely on it for stuff that I might miss because it has been taken down quickly. I got 250 gigs and have only used 50 so far and it's been quite a long while so I'm happy with the arrangement.

hope i will also get this email, Tweaknews does take a while.. maybe because they're flying under the radar.. if you don't mind me asking does the block expire and how much was it for 250gb.. may bite on this deal if offered to me..

drakester
01-19-2014, 05:45 AM
I'm using Tweak too, but instead of a block acct I signed up for a cheap but slow tier.. ymmv

lethe72
01-19-2014, 06:54 AM
block accounts in different countries can sometimes help. Sometimes you need to find the scrambled nzb though as the sarge stated.

fleshconsumed
01-19-2014, 03:33 PM
Not sure if I noticed that, I'm on Astraweb, but then I do not download "popular" content. Would be bad if even the scrambled posts started being taken down...

Insyder
01-19-2014, 10:35 PM
Weird, I set the non SSL Server as a backup server in SAB and it found the missing blocks from there! Must just be a weird glitch??? Check your newsreader logs next time. Astra will tell you when an article has been DMCA'd.

Cool, never knew about "DMCA Removed" in logs, thanks for the info

madxboxfan
01-20-2014, 08:39 AM
I've found certain things are gone within 30mins sometimes. It's a pain.

pigstramus
01-20-2014, 10:39 AM
I gave up on Astra after stevefs replies in a Newsbin forum thread regarding automated takedowns.

zealot
01-20-2014, 12:11 PM
I gave up on NewsDemon as the take downs were so fast it was a waste of time. All Newsgroup Servers do take downs some are slower than others. The other way is to use Block Accounts to make up the difference.

An0ther
01-20-2014, 12:49 PM
I have used giganews for 10 years now and have only seen 1 or 2 things removed. People will post that it was removed from giganews, but it works fine for me. I think they just don't want to say which cheaper provider they are using.

baroke
01-20-2014, 02:23 PM

hope i will also get this email, Tweaknews does take a while.. maybe because they're flying under the radar.. if you don't mind me asking does the block expire and how much was it for 250gb.. may bite on this deal if offered to me..

The block does not expire and as I stated I don't recall the price. I think it was half of their regular rate.

bone409
01-21-2014, 05:23 PM
Thanks.. Will check into it

nahie
01-21-2014, 07:11 PM
I use Tweak with the EU servers. Things still get taken down but it is slower. I have had more incompletes (even with pars) on their servers lately.

tuppingliberty
01-21-2014, 08:01 PM
I haven't noticed as many takedowns on Astraweb lately. There was a time when you had to grab the primetime stuff ASAP or run into a DMCA takedown. I haven't run across any shows that have been taken down so quickly in months.

pothole
01-22-2014, 10:58 PM
I am also with tweak and it does take a while before its taken down.

gooberling
01-22-2014, 11:44 PM
I also use Tweak, and as long as I don't dilly dally, I can generally get stuff before it gets yanked. Used to be on Astra a while ago, and when I was on there it seemed like stuff got pulled almost instantly. It has been like 6 months since I switched though, so I'm not sure of the current state.

tceight
01-24-2014, 02:03 AM
I never bother trying to get prime stuff early anymore. Too frustrating when I get half and then it's yanked!
Slow connection and limited bandwidth means I have to be judicious at selecting nzb's.

m7773d
01-24-2014, 04:31 AM
Finding reliable sites and valid files seems to become more difficult with each passing month.

whodunnit
01-24-2014, 05:58 AM
Hmmm...I've been thinking that just the opposite is true - that the takedowns have eased off...

950Sidewinder
01-28-2014, 05:57 AM
Tweak is really good. Never had a takedown happen on me using them.

TypeSH
02-02-2014, 07:45 PM
^2nd for Tweak. Had takedown issues for quite a while and decided to migrate from Astra for early stuff and no complaints.

Brizgas
02-05-2014, 07:53 PM
Been using Tweak in conjunction with Astra for some time now and it seems to get everything I need at the mo.

chosen14u
02-06-2014, 04:37 AM
Yeah I get it a lot from Astra

DiRTDOG187
02-10-2014, 04:16 PM
For me it seems Astranews hold on to non scrambled posts longer than Giganews I have both. I only keep Giganews because of VyprVpn. I thankful for sites likes these because if not I would miss a lot of stuff because of the scrambled postings.