PDA

View Full Version : How Safe is France for Torrenting?

PepeLeFew
01-15-2014, 07:12 AM
So France used to be famous for HADOPI, the anti-piracy law, but they scrapped it in the middle of last year. What I want to know is what current anti-filesharing measures are being used in France? I'm considering doing the odd bit of torrenting on a French server and am concerned that French anti-piracy firms will search through torrent client IPs looking for French registered addresses to fine (or whatever it is the French have been doing since they dropped HADOPI). Can anyone shed any light on what happens in France? :mellow:

EDIT: Should add I live in the EU ...

aoshivx
01-16-2014, 07:01 PM
Hmmmm Seedbox or VPN or alternatives (not downloading at all)

justlooking
01-16-2014, 11:08 PM
My seedbox company didn't allow public torrents when they were in France, then they moved to The Netherlands and said no problem, so maybe France isn't as safe as other places.

dion09529
01-17-2014, 09:29 PM
How much is the fine?

Rilly
01-17-2014, 11:00 PM
if we don't live in the EU, is the fine relevant to us at all?

motoko
01-20-2014, 08:29 AM
HADOPI can't fine you directly if you're found out. They can send warning letters to your ISP, asking it to monitor and filter your connection. If you're a repeat offender, then a strong worded letter is sent to you. If during one year you're still a repeat offender, then they fine you around 600eur to 1500eur (used to be, you could get blacklisted from internet access in france, but that was considered a human right violation, so this was removed in 2013) ....but this AFTER judicial review.
As an end-user, hadopi is as much of a concern as a marzipan dildo... but in 2013, efforts were refocused on going after the companies providing access and services allowing for copyright infringement. Hence french seedbox providers having cold feet in staying in france.