PDA

View Full Version : Is FTN coming back?

shosh
01-16-2014, 03:39 PM
Its been quite a while since I was able to log back in FTN. I realize there were DDoS attacks across multiple sites, but they've all come back except ftn. Any word on whether or not they plan on making a comeback?

soulreaper
01-16-2014, 04:59 PM
Yup wanna know this too. I hope a staff member could post an update here.

A
01-16-2014, 05:39 PM
No

soulreaper
01-16-2014, 05:54 PM
No

Source?

A
01-16-2014, 06:56 PM
No

Source?
Wikipedia

DeadPoet
01-16-2014, 07:57 PM
Their wiki page is deleted: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feedthe.net
So it is true. :sadwalk:

IdolEyes787
01-16-2014, 11:33 PM

Deleted in 2007 so it's obviously been down for longer than we thought.

anon
01-17-2014, 01:30 AM
Source?
Wikipedia

[citation needed]

megabyteme
01-17-2014, 01:34 AM
My daughter just pointed to DeadPoet's avy and said, "monkey". True story.

dedro
01-17-2014, 02:57 AM

Deleted in 2007 so it's obviously been down for longer than we thought.

long time

absent_today
01-17-2014, 03:01 AM
Hoping it never comes back that way the penis size of account holders would decrease

DeadPoet
01-17-2014, 09:15 AM
Why would you possibly care about other mens penis size? And most importantly, why would you like the size of their penis to decrease? :unsure:

0Ri0N
01-17-2014, 04:11 PM
FTN //. Site OFFLINE //. Tracker OFFLINE //. ETA UNKNOWN //. It will be back.

A
01-17-2014, 05:30 PM
Wikipedia

[citation needed]
Citation given.

Racist daughter.

teflon05
01-17-2014, 05:42 PM
Why would you possibly care about other mens penis size? And most importantly, why would you like the size of their penis to decrease? :unsure:

Give him a break...he's just being a little anal about it, that's all...

A
01-17-2014, 05:46 PM

Penis size isn't something you can be anal about.

soulreaper
01-17-2014, 06:11 PM
FTN //. Site OFFLINE //. Tracker OFFLINE //. ETA UNKNOWN //. It will be back.

Is this from their IRC?

teflon05
01-17-2014, 08:41 PM
Penis size isn't something you can be anal about.

That's not what she said....

mjmacky
01-18-2014, 08:46 AM

I'm all for teaching them multiple languages while they're young, but I think exposing them to this Rosetta stone of bittardian is a little extreme.

dedro
01-18-2014, 02:33 PM

I'm all for teaching them multiple languages while they're young, but I think exposing them to this Rosetta stone of bittardian is a little extreme.

agreed

Dharma100
01-19-2014, 02:43 AM
What is FTN or FTA?

mrtoke09
01-19-2014, 04:52 AM
its a gay midget site you should jion its alot fun ;)

1000possibleclaws
01-21-2014, 06:44 PM
Well this sucks, I use FTN for 90% of my tv shows and movies. I actually lost all my tv trackers to activity, and the few 0day sites I have left are either seemingly impossible to search on (SCC) or just really small and probably lacking mainstream content. I hope FTN admins don't give up even if this attack lasts awhile longer...

Rart
01-21-2014, 07:33 PM
There are plenty of alternatives to FTN for movies and TV shows, and they will have much better archives for older content as well. Not to mention unrared to boot. IPT, TVT, and PTP/TC come to mind. They should be pretty easy to get in to as well, even if you were pruned.

PRINCE
01-21-2014, 09:45 PM
I think ftn gone with the wind
Hope back soon

robogo25
01-21-2014, 10:26 PM
Well this sucks, I use FTN for 90% of my tv shows and movies. I actually lost all my tv trackers to activity, and the few 0day sites I have left are either seemingly impossible to search on (SCC) or just really small and probably lacking mainstream content. I hope FTN admins don't give up even if this attack lasts awhile longer...

is TsH :)

sheriff 01
01-21-2014, 11:19 PM
There are plenty of alternatives to FTN for movies and TV shows, and they will have much better archives for older content as well. Not to mention unrared to boot. IPT, TVT, and PTP/TC come to mind. They should be pretty easy to get in to as well, even if you were pruned.

Where else can you download at full bandwidth and never have to seed back anything? Sure they had requirements but they were never enforced. Of course this site will be missed if it is truly gone because there is no replacement.

Rart
01-21-2014, 11:38 PM

Where else can you download at full bandwidth and never have to seed back anything? Sure they had requirements but they were never enforced. Of course this site will be missed if it is truly gone because there is no replacement.

I...guess. I'd take actually being able to download content that isn't brand new, unrared files, better site design, and the ability for the average person to actually get into the site over being able to hit and run.

And regardless the type of people that got into FTN weren't exactly the type of people that'd close the torrent as soon as it was done, so that "benefit" wasn't too useful anyway.

Arguti
01-22-2014, 12:03 AM

As the user above said, TSH.

sheriff 01
01-22-2014, 12:29 AM
@ Rart -- the fact that it was hard to get into only reassures me that i will get less letters of copyright infringement. I agree with you about the majority not closing the torrent right away as i have also seeded thoroughly many times but i liked the fact that the hnr system was not setup militant style.

Rart
01-22-2014, 12:47 AM
Meh. I mean I guess on some scale it could be "safer" than a larger site. At the same time though, I have never gotten a letter from years of downloading at the "bigger" sites either.

teflon05
01-22-2014, 01:42 AM
Meh. I mean I guess on some scale it could be "safer" than a larger site. At the same time though, I have never gotten a letter from years of downloading at the "bigger" sites either.

Between 2003 & 2005 I uploaded about 1.5 TB of movies & programs on Demonoid & never got any letters or anything else, & that was about 99% from my home connection. (My own rips, & on a DSL connection :pinch:)
Not using Peerguardian or any of that other crap, either.

megabyteme
01-22-2014, 02:25 AM
Between 2003 & 2005 I uploaded about 1.5 TB of movies & programs on Demonoid & never got any letters or anything else, & that was about 99% from my home connection. (My own rips, & on a DSL connection :pinch:)

Note the years involved. There was not nearly the kind of corporate lawsuit-hunting going on back then. I would not expect anything to come of past uploads.

Not every movie/song/software/book has someone trolling for lawsuits and sending threatening letters. Largely, the ones to look out for are big-budget blockbusters that failed. Granted, some studios have begun patrolling larger portions of their catalogs for takedowns, but this is not quite the same concern one would have for being drug into court and/or extorted from.

If your IP is not shared with some corporate lawyer's trolling system, there is nothing to worry about. Some files are FAR bigger targets than others.

Rart
01-22-2014, 02:35 AM
Not every movie/song/software/book has someone trolling for lawsuits and sending threatening letters. Largely, the ones to look out for are big-budget blockbusters that failed. Granted, some studios have begun patrolling larger portions of their catalogs for takedowns, but this is not quite the same concern one would have for being drug into court and/or extorted from.

MBM brings up a good point. I recall lawyers were trolling Hurt Locker torrents due to it's success with the critics that wasn't as well reflected in sales.

In addition try not to download pre release screeners or CAM rips of movies, or in general anything that hasn't been released for public consumption. I believe there were confirmed reports a while back of letters being sent out for a pre release screener of Wolverine that was on IPT.

That being said I still think this is greatly erring on the side of caution and even with downloading those advanced screeners you're still very unlikely to be caught. If you want to be extra cautious though, it's an easy step to take that'll greatly reduce your chances of being caught.

megabyteme
01-22-2014, 02:52 AM
I have reduced the amount my client shares all files to 125% of the amount downloaded. The warning letters I received in the past all indicated the amounts I had uploaded as well as seed times. Not only does reducing these amounts strengthen one's argument in court (if it ever got to that point), it also reduces one's chances of getting a "winning" lotto ticket. Keep your head down, and do not be the biggest fish.

I am doing this as a pre-step to paying for a service to hide my IP (which could either be a seedbox or VPN).

1000possibleclaws
01-22-2014, 03:16 AM

http://torrentshack.net/ this?

I'm afraid I'm too old of a user to know what this site is.. But Rart reminded me I do have an IPT account so I don't have to create a new account to download my videos :)

mrnobody
01-23-2014, 12:05 AM

lol i'm in the same boat. gotta find an alternative ratio free tracker. downloading so much from kickass.to feels dirty.

robogo25
01-23-2014, 12:55 PM

http://torrentshack.net/ this?

yes :) TsH = TorrentShack.net

darkblue
01-26-2014, 07:35 AM
Gft is open for signup if any body looking for replacement of ftn then its good time to join gft.

megabyteme
01-26-2014, 08:11 AM
Signup URL available? Nothing on the main page...

darkblue
01-26-2014, 08:26 AM

If you google gft signup or open signup you will get the link.i am using mobile so at this cannot help you.

turin
01-26-2014, 10:50 AM

If you google gft signup or open signup you will get the link.i am using mobile so at this cannot help you.

its here:
http://www.thegft.org/open_signup.php

megabyteme
01-26-2014, 03:41 PM

its here:
http://www.thegft.org/open_signup.php

Thanks, guys. I did look around a bit before asking, but did not come across any links as only very current threads would have this. Even tried adding, "signup" to the end. I can confirm that the link above works. :happy:

justlooking
01-26-2014, 05:13 PM
This site is always a go-to for open trackers. https://opentrackers.org/

mrtoke09
01-27-2014, 01:00 AM
been told should be back soon no eta though

Hazardous
02-07-2014, 07:47 PM
Its back today

soulreaper
02-08-2014, 01:19 AM
It's back but I'm kinda shocked by the lack of an announcement on their front page. It's as if they don't care. I think FTN won't last, the staffers seem to have lost interest in the site.

Tokeman
02-08-2014, 01:44 AM
If you bothered to read the forums you'd see the announcement is coming 'soon'
It would also be reckless of them to put of a half ass announcement that didn't explain squat...
You expecting instant gratification or something?

A
02-08-2014, 11:17 AM
You expecting instant gratification or something?
Expect instannt gratification? I demand it.

SgtMajor
02-08-2014, 11:54 AM
Staff themselves might not know/might not have known they are/were back online, easy to check click on their username to see when last seen.

shosh
02-08-2014, 05:57 PM
Annd the site's down for me.
Well at least I know they're not gone. Haven't gotten new sites in years since ftwr.in went down (thats were I got all my top sites, I miss that place), so each loss hits a bit hard.

dedro
02-09-2014, 12:20 AM
down for me

mrtoke09
02-09-2014, 03:19 PM
there back up

mievmo
02-11-2014, 10:55 AM
Back up here too :)

ExtraDry
02-12-2014, 10:27 PM
Its a site that's never tried to get to get to big,good crew. Glad to see them back
Cloudflare made a lot of business with all the ddosing going on :-)

modi
02-15-2014, 06:58 AM
ftn is back and they put this messages

2014-02-09 19:43:06 GMT (5 days ago)
Hey Everyone,

If you can see this, you're hitting the new node. Welcome back!

Figured I'd make a new news post rather than updating the last one to make sure this gets seen as I know we'll get questions about why seedboxes aren't working.
We've gone ahead and added DDoS mitigation to the site so that should help out considerably. With that we've had to re-structure things a bit on the back-end, so there's now a new IP that you're tunneling through.

Why is that important you ask? If your seedbox client caches the IP, you'll need to restart it in order to grab the new IP. So before you ask why the tracker isn't working, restart your client.

Another important tidbit, only the ssl tracker is working right now. We'll fix that hopefully tomorrow.

There might still be some downtime as we're currently using a temporary node in part of our tunnel, but I should be able to get that fixed fairly quickly since our outermost IP shouldn't change for at least a month and if it does change, we'll try to make that change as smooth as possible.

That is all. Enjoy your cat videos.

-J

EDIT: I added download buttons to the browse page for everyone to make it a little easier to grab the SSL torrents for now (and to make it easier in general to download).

2/10/14 edit - We should hopefully be back to full operational status tomorrow including the non-ssl tracker as well as uploads. I appreciate you guys being so patient <3

2/11/14 edit - Have to push the above items back a little bit. Still waiting on a few more items and collaborating between different timezones is proving to be a challenge. Hang in there though, we should be golden by the weekend at the latest.

2014-02-08 21:09:02 GMT (6 days ago)
Hey everyone,

Sorry for the downtime scare, we're still getting hit with DDoS attacks so we've been working to shift our configuration around a bit to better prevent these in the future. Our previous outer most node terminated our account which is what caused the lengthy downtime you noticed and we're running on a temporary outer node until our beefed up node comes online. The site will be slowly getting back up to full speed over time as we get everything where it needs to be.

The downtime wasn't without its positive outcomes though. I'll be the first to admit that I've let my life away from FTN take over which has vastly slowed down the evolution of the site here, but with everything lately I've become quite motivated to get FTN where it needs to be. I genuinely appreciate those of you who have stuck with us through the ups and downs and continued to support this site and its community.

I can't promise FTN will be up forever, but we won't go down without a fight. Hang in there with us while we work to get this place stable and humming like a finely tuned sports car.

tman88
03-06-2014, 05:17 AM
Is FTN gone im unable to log in or do a password rest
thanks
tman

mrtoke09
03-06-2014, 04:02 PM
Is FTN gone im unable to log in or do a password rest
thanks
tman

there up again

tman88
03-09-2014, 12:25 AM
Any admins for ftn could use your help been a member since

7/27/08
error message when logging in =
Please enter a username and password.
password reset =

The email address xxxxx @gmail.com was not found in the database.
I have the original invite still from ven xxxxxxx
i think I have been deleted
Cheers
tman
ps im not good at irc
:)

Artemis
03-09-2014, 12:37 AM
The IRC channel is where the support staff can be found to help you with this problem. IRC is THE way to resolve an issue like this, so it it is time to learn....

tman88
03-09-2014, 01:36 AM
The IRC channel is where the support staff can be found to help you with this problem. IRC is THE way to resolve an issue like this, so it it is time to learn....

thanks
will give it a spin

nada they said account gone thanks anyways

maybe an admin will check in

psxcite
03-12-2014, 03:04 AM
Nice to see the site back up.

Blast
03-14-2014, 10:42 AM
Yes ,site is working well . :)