PDA

View Full Version : anybody else feel like the arse is falling out of the nzb download world?

hblandford
01-19-2014, 08:09 AM
Are we a dying breed? Seems streaming is taking over and honestly it makes a lot more sense than consuming shit tons of disk space and download time. I love the underbelly sense of danger of downloading content, but with everything getting shut down by the Man, I just dont know how much longer we can live this close to the edge before we too are absorbed into the Borg. I've donated/registered to a bunch of nzb sites that have been shutdown over the years and end up losing money on all of them. Not alot and not enough to be worried about, but still a pain in the ass. Especially those ones I had to do with bitcoins - that involved actually leaving my spaceship and going out amongst the Walkers. Scary shit, right? Anyway, filesharingtalk.com is awesome. I'm donating today. Just hope it doesnt meet the same fate as the rest of the breathers.

donutfunky
01-19-2014, 09:02 PM
Higher and more readily accessible download speeds definitely make streaming much more accessible. With more and more content providers coming into the fray to challenge the Apples, Netflixes and Amazons of the world, content costs are coming down as well which pose a significant challenge to physical and stored media. A few years ago "cloud" seemed like THE buzz word of the moment in technology but now, it's actually becoming more a turbulent shift than people expected.

Totally with you on FST but it'll be interesting to see how the filesharing world evolves.

K1rkl4nd
01-19-2014, 11:46 PM
I'm still old fashioned and like having a local copy I can decide to put on a device and take with me, not be subject to the whims of some copyright holder. I literally have over 2500 dvds in my basement that I consider "mine". Not that this gives me any moral high ground for any downloading, but for the most part anymore it is tv shows that I could just dvr at my leisure, I just like to pound out a season on my terms and schedule. Also, too many shows I'd like to watch aren't available for streaming. And if they ever do show up, they will probably have alternate music thanks to the RIAA...

theemaster
01-20-2014, 01:22 AM
anybody else feel like the arse is falling out of the nzb download world?
Definitely, yes and my usenet roots are 2000-2001 (back before unlimited) :P So to me it's not just nzb it's the core usenet (who has time to download headers? and headers basically just create DMCA takedowns to I think)

I would say usenet is dying for data collectors and the last nail in the coffin should be something easier.

You know what's interesting is.. usenet doesn't have to die.. it can be saved (for those not in the know usenet is 30-40 years old.. umm it's birthday is in some debate :P ) but from my awareness to save it as a file collecting medium including keeping our NZB way of doing it (thanks to newzbin) it just doesn't seem to be happening...

Beck38
01-20-2014, 01:38 AM
I literally have over 2500 dvds in my basement that I consider "mine". Not that this gives me any moral high ground for any downloading, but for the most part anymore it is tv shows that I could just dvr at my leisure, I just like to pound out a season on my terms and schedule. Also, too many shows I'd like to watch aren't available for streaming. And if they ever do show up, they will probably have alternate music thanks to the RIAA...

I have over 10K of SD/DVD's (including a fair amount of tv shows) and ramping past some 1.2K+ HD movies/tv shows as well, on disc (dvd5/8/BD25) and on local RAID array streaming around the house.

Streaming services, like Netflix/Amazon/Cableco/Satco, are pretty lame quality wise compared to BR disc, quality is around the level of the recoded to 5Kb/s MKV's on P2P or usenet. Piss poor in other words. Also, of course, eats up your bandwidth (and soon if not already be heavily stomped on by ISP's due to recent SCOTUS rulings, if not adding to b/w caps and such).

I have about 7TB of captures off those, mostly movies which aren't available on BR as of yet (and may never be). But that's why.

Those recent SCOTUS rulings are probably going to kill Netflix/Amazon and others. Only streaming from your local cableco/telco are going to be 'exempt' from their tolls.

davidchu234
01-20-2014, 03:47 AM
I think that the Streaming World is growing, but its so hard to find what you want if its obscure, old, or whatnot. Having our own large collections is great because it doesnt matter if its new old popular obscure we just have what we like (obviously we downloaded it) at our fingertips to share and stream as we please.

srs911tech
01-20-2014, 03:50 AM
i agree the streaming world is growing but i too like to have a hard copy, call me 'old fashioned'

birdseye
01-20-2014, 03:59 AM
Things have definitely gotten harder in the usenet world the last year or so. I also use streaming services (Netflix, Amazon, occasional On Demand) and I love being able to stream through different devices while being able to pick up where I left off. Streaming only works for older stuff though and the selection is somewhat limited. That said, usenet is still very useful for keeping up with newer stuff or adding older stuff to my collection.

frinky1
01-20-2014, 04:27 AM
Sure, streaming is growing, but the studios don't want netflix and others streaming movies the day they're released on blu-ray. They studios keep imposing longer "black-out" windows so that the streaming option isn't available until a film has been out on blu-ray for 2+ months.

bullie29
01-20-2014, 08:38 AM
I like the option of moving media to a mobile device, don't always have a connection so streaming is not an option some times.
They can live side by side in which ever ecosystem in my opinion.

starwarz
01-20-2014, 11:26 AM
Keep in mind that streaming doesn't work everywhere. As I get to the gym, most of the time their wifi is not working. Thank goodness for downloaded copies from news groups!

Chasem
01-20-2014, 04:50 PM
I much prefer to actually have a copy of the content (even though I usually only watch it once)

Also, I've had a fair number of sites bite the dust after donating.

eldine13
01-20-2014, 05:16 PM
Indeed you can see that the offer of nzbs decreased. I even found that the shows and movies aren't that great anymore, don't know if it has something to do with "the economy" but still I share with you the feeling of something dying here.

machinethrill
01-20-2014, 07:04 PM
To have local copies is the way I want it too. If you really read thru the EULA of say Itunes maybe you'd reconsider and want to keep your old cd's.

Kaesebroetchen
01-20-2014, 09:00 PM
As long as those streaming provides don't come across the pond to Europe, downloading is the way to go for me unfortunately

thegands
01-20-2014, 09:52 PM
I think part of the reason usenet is 'dying' is due to the cost of service. Most people would rather use free means to acquire media than pay for it, and the cost of service is a barrier of entry. Combined with torrent site's ease of use and lack of paywall barrier (not to mention streaming services), usenet use is falling by the wayside. Of course, I believe it is still the superior method to download media.

zat73
01-20-2014, 10:32 PM
Streaming isnt quite there yet. But soon. Local copy all the way...for now

jackinbox
01-20-2014, 10:59 PM
Also, too many shows I'd like to watch aren't available for streaming. And if they ever do show up, they will probably have alternate music thanks to the RIAA...True. I have Netflix and the TV shows that are available are pretty limited.

Streaming services, like Netflix/Amazon/Cableco/Satco, are pretty lame quality wise compared to BR disc, quality is around the level of the recoded to 5Kb/s MKV's on P2P or usenet. Piss poor in other words.I wouldn't go as far as to say "piss poor" but it is heavily compressed and certainly not the quality I could live with on a regular basis. Unfortunately, the average Joe thinks Netflix is great quality. They even label certain titles "Super-HD" which is a joke.

Beck38
01-20-2014, 11:03 PM
I think part of the reason usenet is 'dying' is due to the cost of service.

Huh? Usenet accounts are so cheap, the only way to get it for less is to give it away for free, as part of your ISP fees, like the 'olden' days 20 years ago (which ain't gonna happen, period). Several major operations are <$10/month for unlimited service, except, of course, for the 'high priced spread' Giganews, which is by far the most expensive.

Data transmission (your ISP) is by far the most expensive piece of the puzzle, although there are some (few and far between) that offer huge bandwidth at low prices. Literally just down the street from me is FIOS (but not on my street and probably never will be, d***!) that has at least 5-10 times the bandwidth at about 1/2 the cost of DOCSIS3 cable. Or I could move to another part of my state where they have county-wide fiber access at about the same rates as FIOS.

'All politics are local' and so it is with the internet.

cmpaige03
01-20-2014, 11:04 PM
I like the site. I wonder if he is simply having problems?

donutfunky
01-20-2014, 11:15 PM
I too am a "box" snob and used to like purchasing the DVD's, Blurays and CD's for my shelf. I then realised that I rarely ever go back and spin a blu-ray anymore because I'd buy the blu-ray, register the UV or iTunes download and then stream it in HD instead.

I think what will challenge usenet more is the price of content going down combined with faster/greater synchronicity of content release schedules across the world. $50+ for a blu-ray of a movie 6 months after it's released or $10 for a (home cinema) streamable version the same or a week after it's cinema release that you can own perpetually? I'd certainly take a bit of the later.

ltc27613
01-20-2014, 11:50 PM
i agree the streaming world is growing but i too like to have a hard copy, call me 'old fashioned'

I'm old fashion too and old too boot ;). I've been using usenet from the days w3 was not born yet.

WangsD
01-21-2014, 12:11 AM
Streaming is OK, but I'd rather have the movie stored as well, otherwise you are dependent upon too many variables. I didn't upgrade to a 8x4TB NAS for streaming capabilities!

Mostly_Harmless
01-21-2014, 07:59 PM
I would love to use streaming services, I would even pay for a legit service but I get very slow broadband where I live (and no option to upgrade) and it is shared between my whole family who are all using tablets, laptops & phones etc.

Downloading is the only real option for me, I just grab my movies etc overnight and stream from my own PC.

dexton03
01-21-2014, 08:55 PM
yeah. It is almost like we need a completely private NZB host, that uses random filenames for posts, and then encrypts these files.

Making the decryption key only available to members.

This way only members can access them and it makes it alot harder for automated bots to remove the files via DMCA take downs. Someone actually needs to match the post to the file name and remove the encrypted files.

Maybe even host the PAR files locally on site (unless those are illegal to host also). So that way PAR can't become corrupt.

nasa
01-22-2014, 12:15 AM
the only thing i will ever stream is sports. i also won't go back to paying to watch commercials either. i sure as hell won't pay to stream anything from a cable company. they can die in a fire as far as i am concerned.

usenet is only difficult for those who are used to tpb type bittorents. it isn't mental retardation easy, but then again that is what keeps it obscure and safer.

uglygit2004
01-22-2014, 02:30 PM
I too have donated to many sites over the years and most are now gone, they seem to be dropping like fly's. I still think NZB is worth the extra effort as more content is available, also my download speed isn't upto reliably streaming content.

chopstixx
01-22-2014, 04:43 PM
These DMCA takedowns are making it harder to find new content. Having block accounts also starts to add up, so streaming is becoming a more attractive option.

PsYFuR
01-22-2014, 06:57 PM
Streaming cant beat the 1080p quality you can find on usenet

lavangbay
01-22-2014, 07:43 PM
yeah.... most of good stuff are being dcma'd rather very quickly nowaday... is usenet going into the toilet in a near future???

kmcke26
01-22-2014, 10:33 PM
the biggest problem with streaming is the content is all over the place where downloads you are go to the site and choose and watch what you like and for the busy people there is couchpotato and sickbeard its there when you get home ready to watch

stubby777
01-23-2014, 01:07 PM
I have been using the Usenet for many years, back to the days of the FreeAgent newsgroup reader. Many times over the years people have predicted its demise but it keeps on going.

I haven't had any real issues finding content (that I am looking for anyways), pretty much everything is available shortly after airing, and I love the HD goodness that a downloaded copy provides.

The ability to download over SSL has allowed me some peace of mind that it isn't obvious what I'm downloading vs torrents, plus as an added bonus my ISP doesn't seem to count SSL traffic against my monthly cap :)

dcipha
01-23-2014, 10:55 PM
I pretty much watch everything on a mobile device while commuting to work on public transportation. The problem with streaming on the subway in New York is you don't get a signal underground. SSL is a definite plus for downloading. No need to setup TOR or go through a VPN. Plus, you can't beat the download speed of some Usenet providers. The speed of some Torrent seeds can be mind numbingly slow.

skippy9965
01-24-2014, 01:13 AM
I've tried the streaming services such as netflix and lovefilm. Problem is they only can show stuff that's old. That's fine but they also have a limit of how many films they can stream. So i saw that someone had watched a film on netflix that i really wanted to see. Signed up and found that the movie wasn't available. Im sticking with newsgroups fow new stuff and torrents for older stuff for now.

tceight
01-24-2014, 01:57 AM
streaming isn't even an option for some people out in the boonies like me. my connection is at best 1mbps, usually averages about 280kb, so downloading is the only way to watch anything without going insane from the buffering.
I always rented at the local video stores, but that's not an option now either, as the closest "rental" option (a red box) is an hour away. I still buy the movies I like, when I can find them. I'd pay for a download too...in fact I do as my bandwidth is expensive.

ZEROdayO
01-24-2014, 09:05 AM
yeah.... most of good stuff are being dcma'd rather very quickly nowaday... is usenet going into the toilet in a near future???

usenet was there and still be there, just posting titles changes, with obfuscating techniques and encrypt+password protect rars etc, there is still way usenet binaries will be usable, i work with some of my friends with some new unique technique, but thats future, we are here now and all works good

theemaster
01-24-2014, 06:33 PM
Data transmission (your ISP) is by far the most expensive piece of the puzzle, although there are some (few and far between) that offer huge bandwidth at low prices. Literally just down the street from me is FIOS (but not on my street and probably never will be, d***!) that has at least 5-10 times the bandwidth at about 1/2 the cost of DOCSIS3 cable. Or I could move to another part of my state where they have county-wide fiber access at about the same rates as FIOS.
You could setup a deal with a neighbor and transmit the bandwidth via wifi..?

I have been using the Usenet for many years, back to the days of the FreeAgent newsgroup reader. Many times over the years people have predicted its demise but it keeps on going.
Yah, but in this case it is dying.. it grew considerably.. remember when it wasn't unlimited? Remember when retention was 100 days or 200?

What is going to happen to retention and all these providers if people stop paying..? it dies. sure they'll be some long holdouts.. let's say giganews stays in business forever for a few text-binary stuff.. but the usenet content is being somewhat removed.. who's gonna pay when there's nothing to get there?

So, I'm saying it's dying.. the business model is.. unless someone wants to fix it?? (totally fixable too!)

Basically if usenet could be provided for free.. (and it can) but these servers, the bandwidth and the power cost money.. the business model dies (the servers, retention, bandwidth) die if no one pays for it..

saadyst
01-24-2014, 06:48 PM
I don't think we'll end up with nobody paying for it. I think it'll end up being less mass-usage as it becomes more difficult and back to being a niche, and perhaps then less worthwhile for the take down requests. But probably not for a while yet...

megabyteme
01-24-2014, 07:02 PM
You could setup a deal with a neighbor and transmit the bandwidth via wifi..?

Your idea is not too far-fetched, as there are many areas where people believe in open wifi access. However, it is a MUCH harder movement to get people to join when bandwidth is metered. Bottom line, more people need to protest metered usage. It is mainly designed to keep people from taking advantage of services such as Netflix, and keep Canadians watching Canadian channels. It is media territorialism, not the cost of bandwidth/equipment.

Welcome to the forums, theemaster. Your thoughts are appreciated. :)

HandyAndy
01-25-2014, 10:40 AM
anybody else feel like the arse is falling out of the nzb download world? No, not at all. It just got a little sticky there for awhile, but no worse than torrents and struggling to find seeders for what you are after. A good indexer and good provider and it's just like a new one :D

getsome
01-26-2014, 07:37 AM
whats up with psswords for some rar now?

nntpjunkie
01-26-2014, 10:24 PM
To the 2 or 3 people in the thread who have expressed the idea that the Usenet is dying, you could not be any more far off your rockers. The Usenet is the largest content store on the web period. If you are not able to navigate the Usenet, find a friend who can show you some pointers. A true Usenet user does not rely solely on nzbs and indexes to find article sets. The problem is not the Usenet, the problem is the lack of knowledge on some users part that prevents them from getting the most out of the Usenet. What would be really cool is if one day the media companies powers that be woke up and asked Usenet providers to store their highest quality content and then make that content available for streaming or download for a monthly fee - MPAA etc would make monster profits and so would the Usenet companies, the infrastructure is already there to store massive amounts of content.

theemaster
01-27-2014, 12:20 AM
looks to be that way.. to state clearly DMCA'd stuff is targeted stuff.. aka a company is being paid to make sure "superman" isn't on usenet.. or game of thrones too (hbo/time warner I guess)

Now that doesn't mean it isn't on usenet.. it could be on there a 100 times over.. :rolleyes: but if the files aren't named "superman" than yah it can be hard to find out which files are really superman..

Here are the facts as I understand them

1. Servers, bandwidth and electricity aka usenet = yes

2. If usenet continues to lose content that has no value.. than it is a fact lots and lots of usenet subscribers that won't pay $5 to $25 a month for usenet anymore.. and fact server companies/usenet providers go out of business at some point

3. While there is tons of non-targeted content on usenet for DMCA as like nobody gives a damn for example if "farscape" "northern exposure" or the A-team is on usenet :D

4. But the fact remains at some point even this non-targeted content will expire and has to be re-uploaded (it usually is.. depends)

5. Fact usenet content that is targeted is non-discrimitary.. for example let's say I rar up my family photo collection but name that file(s) "superman 1080" my understanding or guess here is those who are sending the kill posts just target by name without even checking the content and that's a bad thing cause they don't even allow that on youtube.. theres no one fighting kill posts and as I understand it one could theoretically send a kill post for all the data on usenet.. and in 1 second flat (or so) all the data on usenet could be wiped in a instant (or at least it's a interesting idea :D)

s3rum67
01-27-2014, 01:41 AM
The overall availability has definitely shrunk.

Beck38
01-27-2014, 01:55 AM
4. But the fact remains at some point even this non-targeted content will expire and has to be re-uploaded (it usually is.. depends)

Really, most top servers (Astra, Giga, Blocknews, and at least 2-3 others) started stopping letting things 'roll off' their plants (in other words, buying drive space to 'keep up' with posting, even as posting continued to 'explode') around July/August 2008. That what I call 'day zero'.

So, unless some major foul-up occurs, that's how far back things are 'still there'. Every once in a while I actually run a NZBcc test on something back to around then that I know was posted either 100% or nearly so, and will actually d/l it just to make absoluetly sure.

The big problem (for someone searching) is that the 'open' indexers (primarily Binsearch NZBIndex) only go back some 1000-1300 days; there are some 'workarounds' in that many newsreaders are 'linked' to usenet servers (usually Giganews) that allow searching of the entire database on that server plant.

And yes, for the things that do get 'wacked' if the original poster (or someone who was 'quick on the draw') reposts it (either in 'original' form, 'open' form, or additionally encrypted) then it does help.

However, for all those encrypted postings, there are just about as many 'schemes' as there are grains of sand on the local beach. Those that rely on 'private' web sites are one, but a lot of folks post in a way that by utilizing one of those 'open' indexers gives one the actual name, by using 'the google' leads one to the naming/encryption scheme, and many others.

Unfortunately, there seems to be no real 'drift' toward one method or another, although the 'private' websites seem to be 'winning' a goodly chunk of that war, although the big problem with that is that all 'they' need to do is get access to those sites, and everything they *think* they have protected is zapped. In fact, I've seen where 'fake' postings of such 'private' postings seem to be on the rise, so that's perhaps already happening and most folks don't see it.

dave_wilson
01-27-2014, 03:41 AM
5. Fact usenet content that is targeted is non-discrimitary.. for example let's say I rar up my family photo collection but name that file(s) "superman 1080" my understanding or guess here is those who are sending the kill posts just target by name without even checking the content and that's a bad thing cause they don't even allow that on youtube.. theres no one fighting kill posts and as I understand it one could theoretically send a kill post for all the data on usenet.. and in 1 second flat (or so) all the data on usenet could be wiped in a instant (or at least it's a interesting idea :D)[/INDENT]

No such thing as a kill button. That would make it pretty easy for 1 provider to shut several down at once, it would be like the cold war again but for usenet.

justlooking
01-27-2014, 04:23 AM
I think the title of this thread is a little symbolic of the problem. nzb download world! Usenet is what's important, not nzbs. People have tried to make Usenet more like Bittorrent, that's not really necessary. With automatic downloading of new content and longer retention, I don't think getting stuff is a problem. And the price isn't a factor. A cheap Dutch server 60mbps account is as little as $6.30 a month, and they allow sharing. Split 3 ways, it's $2.10 per. Torrent people pay much more for seedboxes.

budbud
01-27-2014, 06:30 AM
Lots of NZB sites are going down

sirplayalot
01-27-2014, 07:17 AM
Seems to be more difficult to find good content :(

ZEROdayO
01-27-2014, 01:41 PM
Lots of NZB sites are going down

One die, and another born :yup:

Seems to be more difficult to find good content :(

Yeah, thats why posters do what they do now, if you can not find it, means says F*CK to DMCA (try search better, or join some private sites) :cool:

Yloss
01-27-2014, 08:40 PM
Althou i know the world spins and will keep doing so i hope there will always be a cozy beacon to call home ...
The feeliong of community cannot be bargained for ;-)

HandyAndy
01-28-2014, 04:50 AM
Community is everything, always was. The issue with most of the automated sites is they are not growing their communities and most just have forums full of members asking questions. An active community is required for content solutions and quality. A site is required that is both automated and member populated. Found mine :)

jSchmiez
01-28-2014, 06:47 AM
Frankly, i'll keep doing what i'm doing until streaming becomes more convenient. I don't see that happening for a long time.

Sjorre
01-28-2014, 11:02 AM
Times changes, but it's up to you if you want to change too :)

nntpjunkie
01-28-2014, 09:58 PM
I think the title of this thread is a little symbolic of the problem. nzb download world! Usenet is what's important, not nzbs. People have tried to make Usenet more like Bittorrent, that's not really necessary. With automatic downloading of new content and longer retention, I don't think getting stuff is a problem. And the price isn't a factor. A cheap Dutch server 60mbps account is as little as $6.30 a month, and they allow sharing. Split 3 ways, it's $2.10 per. Torrent people pay much more for seedboxes.

This ^

firebirduk
01-29-2014, 12:29 AM
I've been using usenet to download for about the last 7 years, and still amazed by some of the content you can find out there. Used torrents for a few years before that, but used to annoy me at the slow transfers and than hanging at 99.9% complete for days sometimes. Prior to that used to look for direct download sites.

I've noticed a lot more takedowns in the last few months, but changing my news provider seems to have done away with that (for now anyway, touch wood). In the meantime, I'll continue downloading stuff, maxing out my connection (lol, and buying more hard drives to store it all).

Why would I want to stream stuff - unless a film is particularly bad, I want to keep a copy in case I want to watch it again. Can't see me switching over anytime soon :)

ak357
01-29-2014, 03:54 AM
Frankly, i'll keep doing what i'm doing until streaming becomes more convenient. I don't see that happening for a long time.

Agree me too

piercerseth
01-29-2014, 04:06 AM

This ^
These.

Gribley
01-30-2014, 12:44 PM
Interesting read. Guess it depends on your NNTP provider. USENET rocks basically and yes DCMA does take down posts "MUCH" more often than in the past but at least if you spread your provider over a couple of servers you are good.

I`ve used NNTP for 25 'ish years with Forte Agent/Free Agent and then doing stuff in Uuenc, base64 to combine downloads along with other stuff I can`t even remember now! It is now much more user friendly, doubt any of the current crowd have ever seen an actual news post but that is another matter :) For those that are interested it is just like a forum mainly, you can chat.... it isn`t just binary downloads encoded to 7bit!!!!

Live, jump in there and join a group. I is all anonymous so enjoy people..... it isn`t just about the binaries

baronkarza
02-01-2014, 12:59 AM
In case no one has read the news. Net neutrality is dead. It's only a matter of time before the ISP's start throttling Netflix, Hulu, and the rest of them. Once streaming quality takes a nose dive you will be thankful you have that saved copy on your HD! Long live usenet!

borge
02-01-2014, 10:14 AM
Streaming for the win.

pdog417
02-01-2014, 02:18 PM
Agreed..baronkarza bandwith is already an issue. You cant really blame the ISP's all their bandwidth is consumed but they make no profit..

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57611722-93/netflix-youtube-gobble-up-half-of-internet-traffic/

stinkyplant
02-02-2014, 01:13 AM
Streaming is great when you have low or average bandwidth. 4+ hours to download or start streaming within a few minutes.

theemaster
03-21-2014, 08:20 AM
No such thing as a kill button. That would make it pretty easy for 1 provider to shut several down at once, it would be like the cold war again but for usenet.
Umm, yah of course there's a kill button several..

shall we say the fbi vs. kimdotcom :)
how about not paying your bandwidth/server/power bill? (there's a kill button)
and these programs/scripts designed to delete usenet data for the company through nzb's there's a kill button :) (what if it's badly coded..? maybe it can wipe a entire server)
and the biggest kill button of all money.. either DMCA money with gov help.. or lowered content on premium servers (meaning users don't pay)

RIP 2017 usenet (money grew thee huge.. but lack of money made you deader than a doornail!) :)

yah, I agree usenet has many server providers.. but so what? :P

freelance86
03-21-2014, 02:03 PM
Umm, yah of course there's a kill button several..

shall we say the fbi vs. kimdotcom :)
how about not paying your bandwidth/server/power bill? (there's a kill button)
and these programs/scripts designed to delete usenet data for the company through nzb's there's a kill button :) (what if it's badly coded..? maybe it can wipe a entire server)
and the biggest kill button of all money.. either DMCA money with gov help.. or lowered content on premium servers (meaning users don't pay)

RIP 2017 usenet (money grew thee huge.. but lack of money made you deader than a doornail!) :)

yah, I agree usenet has many server providers.. but so what? :P

they were talking about a kill button whereas 1 provider could use it and it would remove it from EVERY usenet providers servers, ofcoarse each individual provider can remove stuff from their own servers but not others.

i do wonder however if the article is even removed from the database or if the servers that talk to the database are just told to ignore those request. eg, i tried downloading batman begins a tonne of times and every nzb was incomplete, however on new years day 2014 i tried 2 different nzbs for the same movie and both were 100% complete! i tried both again a few hours later and behold it was missing a shit tonne of article and incomplete (as it was every other time i tried), so explain how that could happen if usenet providers actually deleted the article content?

Beck38
03-21-2014, 02:41 PM
Lots of BS in this thread; any look at traffic analysis sites would show folks that overall traffic on usenet has continued it's upward trend over the last few years. The hyper-squealing from the pro-wrestling crowd over the past year, due to a handful of DMCA takedowns was so overblown as to be totally ridiculous.

The amount of posts with scrambled file-names has exploded, but non-pro-wrestling tv captures have continued totally unabated, although the large scale movie postings have seemed to be both scrambled names with (or without) rar encryption. I for one, continue posting at at rate of some 3TB+ month with NO takedowns over more than a decade with NO obfuscation until the last couple of years, and only minimal since (I not stupid, simply require less than what a 5th grader could figure out on a bad day).

Selling bandwidth to end users, btw, is a license to print money. ISP's in the US buy bandwidth at 1 cent and sell for 1 dollar, or even worse. When they do get ANY competition, they squeal like stuck pigs, and go running to the politicians (or the courts, equally easy to buy off) for protection.

capetocuba
03-21-2014, 09:04 PM
It's easier and much cheaper in South Africa to download and use a media player. Our internet is fragile here :whistling

chakara
03-22-2014, 07:17 AM
I not stupid, simply require less than what a 5th grader could figure out on a bad day
I'm pretty sure you're wrong about that. The scheme you use to scramble names may look logical and eays to your mind but totally illogical to most people. And it's not a question of intelligence ...

I came across a post where the name was scrambled by removing the vowels. Once you look at it you think "yeah, pretty logic". But that's hindsight : before coming across this post I would never have thought about that. Never.

Most scrambled posts are just random from what I can tell anayway.

dave_wilson
03-22-2014, 12:01 PM
I not stupid, simply require less than what a 5th grader could figure out on a bad day
I'm pretty sure you're wrong about that. The scheme you use to scramble names may look logical and eays to your mind but totally illogical to most people. And it's not a question of intelligence ...

I came across a post where the name was scrambled by removing the vowels. Once you look at it you think "yeah, pretty logic". But that's hindsight : before coming across this post I would never have thought about that. Never.

And it defeats the purpose. Its not open anymore and quite honestly whats to stop the providers from looking at scrambled stuff and saying "spam" and removing the posts altogether.

Beck38
03-22-2014, 02:33 PM

And it defeats the purpose. Its not open anymore and quite honestly whats to stop the providers from looking at scrambled stuff and saying "spam" and removing the posts altogether.

You are both talking out of your backside, not knowing what 'scheme' I (and many others) employ. First, the actual name may 'look' scrambled, but simply running it through 'the google' revels the actual name. No provider has ever, over the past 30+ years, removed anything simply because it 'looked' scrambled; if they did, they would be out of business in pretty short order.

If you can't figure out such simple techniques as removing vowels, reversing the letter combination, then I'd have to say you never took 5th grade math or history. Yes, a lot of scrambled names are complete nonsense, and require pay-walled web sites to decode (and are usually pro-wresting anyway) but a lot aren't. If you can't be bothered to run them by 'the google' then you're lost anyway, I hope your ATM card code isn't '1-2-3-4'.

chakara
03-22-2014, 09:52 PM
We're talking the other way around mate.

Yes running fjslfshfiosyrsirudiosu.rar through google might tell you what it is.
The point is, googling "Treme S01E01 720p BluRay x264-REWARD" will never give you fjslfshfiosyrsirudiosu.rar ...

We don't all spend our days monitoring posts.

I post tv shows under their IMDB "ID". For me it makes sense. For people not using IMDB it might not.

And there's no need for insults.