PDA

View Full Version : NZB Upload

teflon05
01-19-2014, 08:27 PM
Got a pretty noobish question, so I'll apologize for sounding dense in advance.

I've been downloading via newsgroups for a while now, & while I'm far from being an expert, I have a pretty decent grasp on the concept. However I'm still a bit sketchy on the uploading part. I'm pretty sure I understand how to upload content to Usenet, & I'm pretty sure I understand how to create the NZB's, but I'm not clear on one thing. If I happen to come across an NZB on some other site, that is not available here, can I upload that NZB here, or do you have to create your own NZB? That sounds like a waste of time to me, but maybe I'm missing something obvious...

bbhaag
01-19-2014, 09:12 PM
You just have to upload the nzb that you already have no need to create your own.

teflon05
01-19-2014, 09:23 PM
Cool, Thanks. That's what I thought, but wanted to make sure.

piercerseth
01-19-2014, 09:30 PM
My only guideline is I don't post passworded stuff. Most of the forums those orginate from are open if you do a little bit of legwork.

niknjen
01-20-2014, 03:01 AM
thanks for your posts piercerseth!

Beck38
01-20-2014, 05:07 AM
I would say, if you want to get into the uploading, 2-3 major things:

1. Use a self-checking program like JBinUp to do the uploads. It verifies that the bits/bytes/parts get to the server you're uploading to pretty close to 100%. Old programs like PowerPost and the various others that are 'children' of PP, don't When the server you are posting to takes a bit of off-the-rails operation, it generates skips/fades, whereas JBinUp will beat on the server to make sure that the bitstream is as close to the original as possible.

2. Do a further check of the posting from another server, so you can be sure the posted server is forwarding properly; i.e., if you post to, say, Usenetserver, check that it's 'getting out' to usenet in general by checking at Astraweb or Giganews. A good block account that doesn't count headers is prime for this use.

3. Get yourself a VPN account; this is good for more purposes than posting, but particularly as many ISP's are doing deep packet inspection on things these days, just thinking that having SSL gives you any protection is a fools errand, as your packets still have the destination completely in the open. With the recent SCOTUS rulings, companies that have used DPI for many years will now put that experience to good use, to charge you extra for using their 'pipes' to connect to usenet servers and the like (something they quickly did away with years ago, either when they ran their own plants or contracted it out).

bbhaag
01-25-2014, 04:09 AM
Cool, Thanks. That's what I thought, but wanted to make sure.

Glad I could help.:)