PDA

View Full Version : Which portable game console

wsame
01-20-2014, 03:14 AM
I'm looking to buy a portable gaming system/console but not which to get I have old Nintendo DS Lite and thinking to get 3DS XL but read that portable gaming systems are projected to become obsolete with increase in mobile game apps for IOS/Android. The trouble is that I don't have smart phone because I don't want to pay additional monthly data plan but this could change in the future depending on the direction of portable game console. Any inputs by others on this topic?

esp2000
01-21-2014, 02:54 AM
I had a regular sized 3ds at first and then I upgraded to a 3ds XL. I will not go back to the smaller size after upgrading. It is worth the extra size.

wsame
01-23-2014, 02:28 AM
Yes, I was also debating about whether to get the regular 3DS or the XL version. I missed Xmas and Black Friday sale when they were on sale for $150 with Mario & Luigie or another game included. Best Buy currently has it for $170 console only. Can you fit XL into a pocket without it being too big?

icecavern
01-23-2014, 02:54 AM
It fits in my pocket okay. I think its about the size of a galaxy phone, just thicker of course. I had a regular 3DS before I got the XL, and on the XL I notice a lot more ghosting or double images on it. I really didn't have any on my regular version. From what I've read, it seems to vary from person to person and many people don't see this at all, but I thought I would mention it since it can be distracting and affects quite a few people. I've gotten used to it though, and the slight annoyance is worth it for the much larger screen.

bradw
01-23-2014, 04:02 AM
My brother has all those portable game boy, 3DS, the sony thing whatever it's called that takes mini discs, but the truth is I like my Acer Iconia W510 best, real full windows 8 and can run almost any program I want. Although I honestly get the most play time out of my Samsung Galaxy android phone. It's just so convenient, always with me, always charged, ready to go whenever I have some minutes to kill.

wsame
01-24-2014, 06:28 AM
I've never heard of Acer Iconia W510 til now... I actually have the Windows surface but it's not portable so can't put in pocket... :( I also don't like the short battery life unlike my iPad thus I prefer iPad over it. icecavern, would the ghosting/double image be related to the 3D functionality of the 3DS? Do you see it only in 3D mode or in non-3D mode. I'll have to pay attention and look for it when I go to the store and see it. I'm leaning towards buying it.

icecavern
01-24-2014, 09:53 PM
Yes, it's only in the 3D-mode and has to do with your eyes seeing each of the separate. If one eye sees what is only supposed to be seen by the other, then you get an extra image. I have found that the 3D isn't that important in most games, so I turn it down or off if a game is really bothering me. That's a good idea to check with a demo unit at the store if you can Regardless, I'm sure you will enjoy either 3DS because there are so many great games out now. .

initial_wii
02-01-2014, 07:34 PM
Get the 3DS for all the great Nintendo exclusives.

tarmon
02-02-2014, 03:26 PM
I recently picked up a 3DS XL and couldn't be happier. There are a ton of great Nintendo exclusives and the larger size of the XL fits my hands much better.