PDA

View Full Version : True Detective

Jaeng
01-20-2014, 02:26 PM
Hi

My friend told me I should watch this, has anyone seen the first episode yet? Was wondering if it was worth checking out as there are some big name actors in it.

dayzroaches
01-20-2014, 03:33 PM
I also would like to know what people think of this series. Woody and Matthew must make a great team!

inferno133
01-20-2014, 05:07 PM
watched the first episode, I enjoyued it...very cerebral. Both actors are great, not all partnerships are perfect and these two guys are the odd couple so it makes an interesting dynamic. The actual murder reminded me of scenes in 'Hannibal', no bad thing just depends where they go with it.

ejohalj
01-20-2014, 08:31 PM
this is an such awesome tv show, its slow and nice now, its really building up..

IdolEyes787
01-20-2014, 09:23 PM
It's called "True Detective" singular and that's important as there are two cop leads.

I would explain why but as this is another post count thread that frankly none of you are going to be polite enough to ever browse again,I shan't waste me breath.:)

postitnote
01-21-2014, 03:07 AM
The only reason I know about this show is because of Alexandra Daddario and how she shows her boobs.

cesnzb
01-21-2014, 03:11 AM
I enjoyed the first episode

JJTopper
01-21-2014, 04:07 AM
First episode was pretty good. The usual "getting to know the characters" stuff. Will wait a few episodes to see if the storyline is worth sticking around. I guess we'll see. *shrug*

rexothek
01-22-2014, 08:43 AM
It's getting better and better...:naughty:

Stehle
01-22-2014, 04:44 PM
Okay, do you think that "Rust's" visions are pertinent to solving this current case? Do you think that "Martin's" infidelity, (which he seems very touchy about!), may have any bearing on the case's outcome?

(Example above.) :)

(This thread is only for fans of the series only. If you don't have something else to offer in a post besides... "Great show!", "Sucky show way too intelligent for me!", etc. ...then don't post. .) :alien:

piercerseth
01-22-2014, 10:10 PM
I notice Marty isn't wearing a wedding band in present-time sequences.

jweem
01-23-2014, 02:14 AM
I love it! I like that the pace is slower - more theatrical than TV. I feel more involved in it than in most other shows. I'm guessing there will be some interesting twists along the way.

Stehle
01-23-2014, 04:00 AM
I missed that! (Aren't we the observant one!) :) I'll look for it (or lack of it) in the next episode, but given his past argument(s) with the missus, that outcome has almost inevitable written all over it.

He like those handcuffs waaaayy toooo much! ;)

hlazzo
01-25-2014, 10:39 PM
Loved the first 2 episodes. Really wish a didn't have to wait a week between each one.

megabyteme
01-25-2014, 10:50 PM
Loved the first 2 episodes. Really wish a didn't have to wait a week between each one.

Netflix is nice like that. When they release a show, they give you an ENTIRE season and let you choose how you wish to view it. Adult-like, or something else...

I also would like to know what people think of this series. Woody and Matthew must make a great team!

Their man-on-man love scenes are first-rate!!!!1

Stehle
01-26-2014, 02:50 AM

Their man-on-man love scenes are first-rate!!!!1

After "Killer Joe" nothing surprises me anymore.

(Either I swore off of fried chicken or burst out laughing at the mere mention of it after that flic!) :lol: :alien:

revo770
01-26-2014, 04:02 AM
What network is it on?

JanSwart
01-26-2014, 09:46 AM
It is running on HBO.
I watched both episodes currently available.
Very unusual television.
As mentioned above quite a slow pace, the narrative is splitted in 2 time lines.
Great actors!

IdolEyes787
01-26-2014, 01:12 PM
Could someone please change the thread title to the correct "True Detective"?

Also please correct any other thread titles like ""wats ur favorite beer" as some of us are less than fine being associated a site that is apparently filled with idiots.

megabyteme
01-26-2014, 03:50 PM
Could someone please change the thread title to the correct "True Detective"?

Also please correct any other thread titles like ""wats ur favorite beer" as some of us are less than fine being associated with a site that is apparently filled with idiots.

Fixed for you... :whistling

It is running on HBO.
I watched both episodes currently available.
Very unusual television.
As mentioned above quite a slow pace, the narrative is splitted in 2 time lines.
Great actors!

If I am not mistaken, this is a Haiku. :P

Stehle
01-26-2014, 11:30 PM
For all of those waiting for a download of tonight's Episode 3...

Link too some Episode 3 details about the case (http://hiddenremote.com/2014/01/26/true-detective-season-1-episode-3-preview-tv-info/).
(Don't click if you can wait!) :alien:

Stehle
01-26-2014, 11:52 PM
Yessssss, but I think itssssss sssssssssssssssssssssso much more betuh with the extra sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss on it!

(Seconded!) :alien:

*We already have one, so it may not be possible.

anon
01-27-2014, 01:28 AM
I merged the other thread with this one and renamed it. Hopefully everyone's happy now :kiss:

Stehle
01-27-2014, 01:31 AM
I merged the other thread with this one and renamed it. Hopefully everyone's happy now :kiss:

Thank you anon! :)

crazycabbie702
01-27-2014, 09:50 AM
watching episode 3 now. Good to get to this when it started! caught the commercial by chance! hard to see this after wolf of wall street and dallas buyers club but YEAAA HMMMMM HMMMM UMMMM M MHMMM matthew and woody do great together!

waik
01-28-2014, 01:00 AM
I'm enjoying the series so far. As stated earlier two great actors and seems to tell the story very well.

Equalwings
01-28-2014, 03:52 AM
Okay, do you think that "Rust's" visions are pertinent to solving this current case? Do you think that "Martin's" infidelity, (which he seems very touchy about!), may have any bearing on the case's outcome?

The infidelity is a good way to show the flaws in the characters and perhaps their propensity to act outside the rules. This really is "film noir" tv. Reminds me a lot of the film Chinatown and Raymond Chandler stories.

Did anyone else find the burned out church set a little unbelievable?

I like the way the 'visions' are shown but it would be a bit too 'polar bear in Hawaii' if they are to mean something.

Saapa
01-28-2014, 09:36 AM
Rust is best new character 2014!

lady114
01-30-2014, 02:40 PM
might have a look at this see if its any good love a crime series

bumblebsticker
01-30-2014, 08:19 PM
Absolutely loving this show! Despite being slow, fantastic acting and you can see that it is leading to something. And Alexandra Daddario what a hottie!

dslgal
02-01-2014, 05:02 AM
Well, I fell asleep during the first ep (too boring). I do like both actors, just--too slow for me.

trousers
02-01-2014, 06:51 AM
heard this was good, might ave a look

usernameGG
02-02-2014, 09:14 PM
yop, pretty good show. it's slow, il a good way, a bit like Rubicon. I'm having trouble finding a valid nzb for ep.3 though.

barcanez
02-04-2014, 04:49 PM
Think I'll like this but if its as slow as most are suggesting I might have a tough time convincing the wife to stick with it!

Stehle
02-05-2014, 11:13 PM
yeah... way too slow for me too... I think I won't post here anymore ...it made my brain throb too... way too much strain. :(

(As they say... the song remains the same. 'nuff said.) :alien:

photomatic
02-12-2014, 02:44 AM
Good to hear the positive reviews. Looking forward to getting caught up.

Stehle
02-12-2014, 04:38 PM
After viewing last Sunday's episode I can only hope that those "too boring" or 'too slow" comments in this thread may cease.

Totally Rocked for me at least. :happy:

(...of course you never know.) :alien:

Airman5982
02-13-2014, 05:52 AM
I really both actors, but I twice tried to watch the 1st episode and I keep falling asleep.

mjmacky
02-13-2014, 06:46 AM
I really both actors, but I twice tried to watch the 1st episode and I keep falling asleep.

Try sleeping with both actors first, then try watching it.

megabyteme
02-13-2014, 01:02 PM
After viewing last Sunday's episode I can only hope that those "too boring" or 'too slow" comments in this thread may cease.

Totally Rocked for me at least. :happy:

(...of course you never know.) :alien:

Good to know. I have been half-hearted about grabbing it. Will be a bit more excited due to your change of interest in it.

spaceinator
02-13-2014, 04:06 PM
The end of episode 4 was one of the craziest things I've seen on TV in a while... it was pretty well filmed.

IdolEyes787
02-13-2014, 11:30 PM
The end of episode 4 was one of the craziest things I've seen on TV in a while... it was pretty well filmed.

Might be the best directed thing in recorded history.

I hear after watching that episode,Martin Scorsese wept at his lack of talent.

megabyteme
02-14-2014, 05:45 PM

What an AMAZINGLY crazy scene. Do you know any industry info on it, Idol?

EDIT- Here's what I found: http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1722001/true-detective-long-take.jhtml

EDIT2- For those who havent seen it, or want to see it again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=s_HuFuKiq8U

IdolEyes787
02-14-2014, 06:33 PM
What an AMAZINGLY crazy scene. Do you know any industry info on it, Idol?

Studio executives were so impressed by the scene that they made a pact to stop referring to Cary Fukunaga as "Slope" behind his back.

Also I hear that he's now getting a better price on coke and whores.

Stehle
02-15-2014, 02:02 AM
Strolling past a few "corner boys" in my "hood" I was told that they now call that sequence a "McMac" (stash house heist) or to quote them...

"That baddass five oahuh fool pulled one helluva McMac! He shuhd patent tha mofo move! It was mad!"

(I was told soon after, "thay wooda washed it agin at 11, but sum mad mofo made off wiff da Sony!" 'nuff said.) :alien:

skian
02-15-2014, 03:56 AM
still need to get into this show all reports are great

IdolEyes787
02-17-2014, 08:15 PM
Well, I fell asleep during the first ep (too boring). I do like both actors, just--too slow for me.

Playing twitch video games entirely devoid of plot and considering that to be fulfilling entertainment probably does that to you.

Anyway my honest suggestion is to avoid pots of water on the stove because clearly you have problems differentiating between inert and simmering.

Rart
02-19-2014, 03:25 AM
Her proudest moment, I'm sure.

pic.twitter.com/I5BRXOl1UO

IdolEyes787
02-19-2014, 05:23 PM
I see that you're upset that she didn't say it was you masturbating to them.

megabyteme
02-19-2014, 05:26 PM
Rart's mom and dad have "family-safe" restrictions set on his computers. You wouldn't deny him his one bit of tit, would you? :no:

Rart
02-19-2014, 06:16 PM
I see that you're upset that she didn't say it was you masturbating to them.

Of course I was. :mellow:

Rart's mom and dad have "family-safe" restrictions set on his computers. You wouldn't deny him his one bit of tit, would you? :no:

It's ok, I h4(k3d it like I h4(k3d the Super Bowl wifi (http://imgur.com/Nuo6pRY). I take requests for a small fee.

IdolEyes787
02-19-2014, 06:33 PM
You kids and your silly internets language.

Anyway after much contemplating I figured out that you were trying to put forward the idea that you're a bit of a follower and also irrevocably Gay.:)

Probably would have saved a lot of time if you just said that though.

debart
02-19-2014, 07:46 PM

uh, if by recorded history you mean last week, yeah, it was :)

Seriously, it's a very good show. I don't know what they'll do to top it next year

Stehle
02-20-2014, 02:41 AM
From what I heard Woody & Matt are history after this season.

(It may be true if they are following an "American Horror Story:" type format.) :alien:

..but on a more positive note Jessica Lange should be back AHS next season!! :)

IdolEyes787
02-20-2014, 01:07 PM
McConaughey wins the Oscar this year so, yeah.

Unless of course he wants to become the first reigning Best Actor winner to be tied to a TV series when he could be off making whichever movie he wants to for like a zillion dollars.

I doubt if even he smokes enough weed to make that look like a good idea.

dave26c
02-20-2014, 03:50 PM
From what I heard Woody & Matt are history after this season.

(It may be true if they are following an "American Horror Story:" type format.) :alien:

..but on a more positive note Jessica Lange should be back AHS next season!! :)

Yeah its an anthology with different actors each season

megabyteme
02-20-2014, 05:11 PM
McConaughey wins the Oscar this year so, yeah.

Are they allowing Magic Mike to compete with this year's entries?

IdolEyes787
02-20-2014, 05:20 PM
Magic Mike was actually Channing Tatum and no one ,not even his agent,considers what he does to be acting.

megabyteme
02-20-2014, 06:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=nvHKSgyxXgI

IdolEyes787
03-12-2014, 12:15 PM
In the end the show ended up being a bit empty and more than a bit disjointed.More of a series of memorable moments than a satisfying whole.

I did like the way they chose to end it though and all credit to the cinematographer and whoever it is who scouts locations as those ruins were seriously creepy.

Best idea for a shot though still goes to Banshee and the aerial blindly crawling through the cornfield toward the sniper scene.

tilsnf
03-12-2014, 03:08 PM
Excellent series. Haven't watched the last episode yet for that delayed gratification.

Stehle
03-13-2014, 01:05 AM
In the end the show ended up being a bit empty and more than a bit disjointed.More of a series of memorable moments than a satisfying whole.

I did like the way they chose to end it though and all credit to the cinematographer and whoever it is who scouts locations as those ruins were seriously creepy.

Best idea for a shot though still goes to Banshee and the aerial blindly crawling through the cornfield toward the sniper scene.

I wondered what you thought. I was a bit disappointed with ending also, but as a whole considered it very entertaining. :)

Banshee scene was great too. (Yeah.. still watching it here too.)

(Do you think Matthew McConaughey knew he was up for an oscar nomination at the last True Detective end scene?) :alien:

megabyteme
03-13-2014, 03:19 AM
[...]all credit to the cinematographer and whoever it is who scouts locations as those ruins were seriously creepy.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/atlas_obscura/2014/03/11/here_s_the_real_location_of_true_detective_s_carcosa.html

Best two lines of the episode:

1. "He's gonna come for you.He's worse than anybody." Old woman nailed that line.

2. "Do I strike you as more of a talker or a doer, Steve?"

piercerseth
03-13-2014, 05:25 AM

I wondered what you thought. I was a bit disappointed with ending also, but as a whole considered it very entertaining. :)

I've read people comparing the maze scene to the ending of Silence of the Lambs. Seems apt. Tense as all get out. You're (or at least I was) thinking maybe they'll defy genre convention and have the bad guy just kill both of them outright.

I agree with Idol's statement, but the two leads acting never faltered. When Marty breaks down at the hospital, and Cohle ruminates about his father and daughter...got me right in the feels.

megabyteme
03-13-2014, 06:58 AM
I did like the way they chose to end it though [...]

I appreciated that I could watch a show of this caliber that actually had an ending and we weren't strung along until, well, it became Dexter. :frusty:

This is a great format- 8 solid hours to tell a story that should not be told in 90 minutes, nor 90 episodes.

nd2k
03-13-2014, 09:23 AM
sadly I have tried so many times to get this, but all the episodes look to be taken down on two different usenet servers I use.

torrentus
03-13-2014, 03:29 PM
IMDB over 9 is very good and what people leave as reviews here (http://moviescout.tv/stream-true-detective-2014-online.html) should be a nice tv series to watch.

IdolEyes787
03-13-2014, 07:56 PM
First, Rust has this to say to you

and now if I may pontificate.

As most of the annoyingly inane comments on this board are made by people who are being "forced" to post twice,I propose that instead of looking at the situation as "Gee,don't give a fuck but have to post,so will write any lame,mindless shit as it all basically counts anyway".Instead try looking at it as "Well golly fuck,as I am only going to make two posts here for all eternity, then instead of making it an entirely empty exercise,let me try to make them worthwhile".

Either that or what Rust sagely said.

Stehle
03-13-2014, 11:46 PM
[...]all credit to the cinematographer and whoever it is who scouts locations as those ruins were seriously creepy.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/atlas_obscura/2014/03/11/here_s_the_real_location_of_true_detective_s_carcosa.html

Thank you Meg for the history lesson link of the location, as it was truly fascinating looking at the old photos and reading it all. :)

(...of course it does look a bit like my back yard when I go off my meds. 'nuff said.) :wacko: :alien:

You are also quite right about the duration of any series of that caliber. :) (It seems the mindless one's go on forever.) :dry:

A big thanks to piercerseth who put me on to this ahead of the premiere and for his unique insight and hard work. I wondered where I may have faintly remembered (it made my head buzz, but didn't know why*), a few segments of that end sequence from. (Perhaps different locations, circumstances and situations change... but when their good their good!) :)

*(Perhaps just the meds again.) :alien:

Episode 4 of TD will stand out in my mind for quite a while. :)

Idol... perhaps at times people consider you a mindless idiot intelligent person or very witty with your postings. I will agree with you on the one in this thread about the 2 post rule... now all you have to have is a few people read it... though I think the majority will just look at the Matthew McConaughey photo, read the caption and say with a sigh...
"Glad he don't mean me."

megabyteme
03-14-2014, 12:29 AM
I agree the ending did come across as a bit segmented and choppy, but I am at a loss as to how such a show could have had a more complete ending. I've seen a couple of people make connections to Cohle being a Christ-like figure. Certainly, there is enough symbolism mixed into the show to allow people to make all kinds of their own conclusions. I recognized how each character seemed to repeat the same patterns of internal struggle/weakness. The characters were all who they were. Perhaps eternally. Cohle's realization that he "should not be there" seemed to me like he had broken from part of that cycle, as well as no longer feeling his losses.

The spinning vortex caught me off guard as it almost gave the cult a sense of being "correct" in their twisted rituals. At least it was not "pointless" killing, but based in a reality. Maybe someone else can say this better...

IdolEyes787
03-14-2014, 01:01 AM
The show was about two divergent men finding commonality.The case was just a prop to get to the core of that.

megabyteme
04-05-2014, 01:32 AM
Thought this to be an odd mix for an article. Mentions Ellen Page as TD Season 2 possible. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2596078/Ellen-Page-goes-incognito-jokey-cap-ripped-denim-shes-rumoured-True-Detective.html

majic723
04-07-2014, 02:12 AM
I really liked this show. Can't wait to see who is in season 2

BKModdity
04-07-2014, 09:54 PM
I was just getting into it. It feels like this story isn't finished. I mean they got their guy. But there seemed to be more to it. But I should know better than to expect too much from an hbo show.

IdolEyes787
04-07-2014, 10:08 PM
I was just getting into it. It feels like this story isn't finished. I mean they got their guy. But there seemed to be more to it.

It was decided that a lot concerning the case shouldn't conveniently wrapped up because that's what happens sometimes in real life.

e-dard
04-21-2014, 02:33 PM
I loved the show. Can't wait for a future season. Has it been recommissioned?

mjmacky
04-21-2014, 03:26 PM
I loved the show. Can't wait for a future season. Has it been recommissioned?

Ellen Page will be hunting down a pedophile and eventually convince him to commit suicide.

lazardus
04-22-2014, 04:32 AM
Can not wait for the next season! I heard Brad Pitt might be replacing Matthew McConaughey? Not sure who will replace Woody??

scerri
07-12-2014, 04:59 PM
I totally binge watched the whole season!

hoamskilet
07-17-2014, 04:09 AM
Wife and I just started watching....pretty hooked after the first couple episodes

Itsmee
08-07-2014, 07:19 AM
I watched the lot and thought it was brilliant. I read that when they do the nest series it will be different actors and not the same characters.

jasonj
08-14-2014, 11:16 AM
this does not look like a good series but i think i should give it a try.

IdolEyes787
08-14-2014, 01:05 PM

True Detective,the brussels sprouts of TV shows.:mellow:

megabyteme
08-14-2014, 01:10 PM

True Detective,the brussels sprouts of TV shows.:mellow:

Pretty sure that's Penny Dreadful. How's that working for you these days? (Real Question)

IdolEyes787
08-14-2014, 03:34 PM
The season finale was a bit of a letdown but the only show that I know of that I could watch simply for the beauty of the language.Plus the acting was some of the best I've seen,so basically like my car Sherlock where the whole doesn't amount to the sum of the parts or something.

megabyteme
08-14-2014, 05:05 PM
The season finale was a bit of a letdown but the only show that I know of that I could watch simply for the beauty of the language.Plus the acting was some of the best I've seen,so basically like my car Sherlock where the whole doesn't amount to the sum of the parts or something.

I've got to be missing something regarding the language. Will give it another shot on an entertainment famine night. Will listen closely. Any pointers on what I should pay attention to? (serious question)

IdolEyes787
08-14-2014, 06:08 PM
I've got to be missing something regarding the language.

Unsurprising that since as an American don't you have some sort of sacred duty to destroy the English language?

Maden76
08-19-2014, 09:33 PM
Sh*t Ending

tpw2k3
08-26-2014, 06:55 PM
can't wait for second season. hope it lives up to first season, going to be very hard.

flash43cl208
08-29-2014, 11:51 AM
I'm so looking forward to see next season, Rust might get it hair cut again though ... i prefered him in the narrative part. T_T

gowerboy
08-30-2014, 10:41 AM
Superb character development, but was slightly disappointed with the ending.

Stehle
08-30-2014, 05:10 PM
I make up my own and at times that can be very satisfying. :)

(....such as forgetting the last season of "Dexter".) :alien:

nickherc
11-04-2014, 07:54 PM
Last season of Dexter? How about forgetting last 3 seasons of Dexter.

As for True Detective, one of the best tv show ever, at least season 1. What an amazing show, it really get's you hooked. Right next to sopranos, six feet under, mad men...

Skiz
11-04-2014, 08:10 PM

As for True Detective, one of the best tv show ever, at least season 1. What an amazing show, it really get's you hooked. Right next to sopranos, six feet under, mad men...

I wasn't all that impressed with True Detective. The whole plat/story was....weird. McConaughey's acting was brilliant. He nailed it, I thought. Typical over-acting by Woody. Why is he always mad these days? :huh:

Sopranos is OK. I think I liked it a lot more in the earlier seasons than the boring last few seasons.

Six Feet Under is excellent.

Mad Men gets good ratings but its shit from what I hear from friends. :idunno:

I'm a tough customer tho. Shows rarely impress me.

megabyteme
11-05-2014, 08:12 AM

I've been poised on this one for quite some time. Think I'll have to give it a shot now...

nickherc
11-07-2014, 07:48 AM

I wasn't all that impressed with True Detective. The whole plat/story was....weird. McConaughey's acting was brilliant. He nailed it, I thought. Typical over-acting by Woody. Why is he always mad these days? :huh:

Sopranos is OK. I think I liked it a lot more in the earlier seasons than the boring last few seasons.

Mad Men gets good ratings but its shit from what I hear from friends. :idunno:

I'm a tough customer tho. Shows rarely impress me.

Yeah, I'm a hard customer also. I love Mad Men, pacing is slow for many, but I like it. I loved Six feet under, the only show, that I actually miss. Try it with Mad Men :D.

VanCellClinic
11-17-2014, 08:14 PM
Best show on TV! They are making season 2 right now

nickherc
11-22-2014, 09:20 PM
Yes, they are. Vince Vaughn will be the villain and Colin Farrell will be one of the detectives. No, I'm not kidding ;).

YoYoost
12-20-2014, 01:59 PM
Amazing show, I am excited to see how this evolves with the new actors!

jawzey
12-31-2014, 08:27 PM
I finished TD roughly a week ago. I enjoyed it, but similar to other posters I was a bit let down with the ending. I would have enjoyed a much greater twist. I'm looking forward to what the producers have planned for upcoming seasons.

crkfc
01-26-2015, 11:48 PM
I'm curious to see where they're going to take season 2.

incaved
01-27-2015, 09:45 PM
Not sure if they will be able to top the 1st one but let's hope they can.

sirbris
01-28-2015, 09:25 AM
i agree... gonna be good though

Killie
01-28-2015, 06:53 PM
I have never actually gotten around to watching this yet, is it really worth watching? I tend to be bored of procedural dramas these days...

NP1975
01-29-2015, 04:50 PM
If you think that an actor mumbling his lines equates to "a great performance" then you'll love it!

If mumbling your lines equates to a "great performance" then you'll love it.

Jim239
01-31-2015, 11:47 AM
Had to have subtitles on for this show, was a nightmare with all the mumbling and accents

mpj220
02-01-2015, 01:49 PM
This show was a bit slow developing but, overall enjoyed watching the entire season.

daveb29
02-02-2015, 04:00 PM
This was a great show, can't wait for the next season.

pat525
02-04-2015, 08:39 AM
probably the best tv series

megabyteme
02-06-2015, 02:00 AM
Photographic evidence True Detective is worth watching:

http://i.imgur.com/qlTrqa0.jpg

thebigo
02-07-2015, 05:59 AM
I heard from a good source that the next season is being filmed here in LA

freakynzb
02-07-2015, 04:33 PM

Nice i hope they release it soon.

nitilism
02-24-2015, 03:16 PM

This is confirmed.

Stu1179
02-25-2015, 02:31 PM
Loved the first season looking forward to a new one

dark_knight
03-04-2015, 09:55 AM
really enjoyed this series, even though the season finale was crap

Stehle
07-19-2015, 07:20 PM
Okay, I've been watching now a few weeks... what is going on? :unsure:

(Has it totally gone off the rails this season? Well at least "Hell On Wheels" is back looking forward to that... (new episode) ... train staying on the track.) :alien:

IdolEyes787
07-19-2015, 08:13 PM
Semyon, Catalyst, and Caspere:
Ben Caspere was the city manager for the city of Vinci. Through his many connections, probably initiated through the various "parties" that he attended with high-end hookers, he was able to get "ins" with the movie industry and the California High Speed Rail Project (an actual real life thing they're trying to build right now). As part of the rail project, he was able to get connections with a land holding company called the Catalyst Group. This group supposedly was responsible for selling the lands around the railroad, probably for commercial development. Caspere probably made an agreement with Catalyst that he'd find buyers for Catalyst in exchange for a slight payment, similar to how he received payment for the tax incentives for movies.

Shortly before he died, Caspere made a deal with Semyon and the Russian for a joint cash purchase of a plot of land. Neither Semyon nor the Russian were able/willing to buy the land buy themselves, and they didn't want to go through the official routes of the banks because the money they were using to buy the land was probably questionable enough as it was. In exchange for a cash purchase, Catalyst was willing to let Caspere negotiate for a lower-than-appraised value purchase of the land. Shortly before his death, Semyon gave Caspere his share, but the Russian didn't as he was going to do so at the presentation that was shown in the first episode that was supposed to be done by Caspere.

Of course, Caspere got offed before he could get the remainder of the payment from the Russian and give it to Catalyst, which is what was shown in the second episode. Catalyst had no record of getting the funds, and reminded Semyon that if the deal was done through the banks that they would have honored the deal. But it wasn't, and no one can find the money, so Catalyst isn't budging ground. On top of that, Catalyst was willing to still sell the plot, but now only at the appraised value. So now not only was Semyon out $5M, he'd need an additional $10M if he wanted to buy back in. What makes Semyon's situation worse is that with Caspere's death, the Russians are afraid to honor their end of the deal as well, making any IOU with the Russians impossible for purchase of the land now. The cherry on top is that now Semyon's own associates are getting axed in the same manner as Caspere, so Semyon knows someone has it out for him specifically.

Bezzarides:
The daughter of a hippy freak who did some really awful things to his kids that led all five of them to live fucked up lives, she was the only one who managed to semi-clean up her life, although she's extremely cold and has a really odd S&M fascination as well as seemingly an addiction to porn and knives. She became a detective for the Ventura County Sheriff Department while her father leads some kind of spiritual camp up in Guerneville, up in Northern California. While serving an eviction notice, the evictee tells her that her sister is missing, but yet nothing has been (seemingly) done about it. She tells Bezzarides that the last she heard she moved up to the faith resort up in Guerneville.

Being the good detectives they are, Bezzarides and her partner decide to follow up on the missing girl case. The resort employees tell her that last they heard, she quit and moved back down to SoCal for a job with fewer hours and better pay (i.e. prostitution). The detectives go back down to Ventura and shelf the case, although Bezzarides does occasionally get updates from her partner. I think at one point he finds out that she has a connection to Catalyst Group, but I don't remember all the details. In any case, before Bezzarides can fully close the case, she gets dragged into the Caspere case because the body was found in unincorporated Ventura County.

The State has her become lead investigator on the joint-juristidiction investigation for a variety of reasons (see below for Velcoro). Under her, she finds out that Caspere was a sexually passive deviant and spent nearly $4K a month on hookers. She and Velcoro hear of an Eastern European prostitute Tasha as a name of interest, but they don't know where she is, so Velcoro suggests in episode 2 for Woodrugh to go slut it up downtown with the hookers to get info.

Bezzarides relays the plan, having Woodrugh tested first on Mayor Chessani's wife (conspicuously also Eastern European) before sending him out on the streets. While searching the house, she finds land deeds for plots of California land on the mayor's desk, and also finds his daughter looking at maps of California. She also correctly deduces that Chessani's son isn't who he says he is, leading him to tell them that he's an "event organizer." The case basically is now at the point where Bezzarides finds the Cadillac used to take Caspere to the cliff along PCH, but when investigating the connection to Caspere, the thief sets fire to the car basically 50 feet away from Bezzarides and Velcoro.

Velcoro and Vinci:
Ray's story begins back about a decade ago after his wife gruesomely is raped while he is out. Furious and out for revenge, he ends up turning to Semyon, who agrees to help punish the rapist for Velcoro in exchange for Ray helping Frank as part of his neverending debt to Semyon. As a result, Velcoro has been in Semyon's back pocket for years against his will, even after Ray and his wife split. Ray is doubly hurt because everyone, including him, is fairly confident that the boy he calls his son is actually not his as he was born nine months after the attack. As Velcoro begins to do more and more things for Semyon, he moves away from LAPD to Vinci PD, where the corruption is even worse than it was in LA, which is just great for both Velcoro and Semyon.

Fast forward to today and Ray's wife has seen his fall from grace and doesn't want their son anywhere near him, especially after hearing about how Velcoro approached a classmate of his son's father for retribution for the bullying at school. She plans to petition the Courts for sole custody with her new husband, and is even willing to pay Ray $10K to stay out of the way. For Ray, it's worse because now he finds out that the State has probably heard about how shady a character he is and is now secretly investigating him. With the Caspere case, the State has found the perfect way to nab Velcoro by putting him right under their noses while they conduct their investigation.

Velcoro isn't the only thing the State is investigating. Suspicious of how wealthy Vinci has become despite its size, they start a formal investigation into Vinci's formal governing. With the Caspere murder, they have the perfect opportunity to slam Vinci and its leaders. They tell Bezzarides that they want to use Velcoro as leverage against Vinci, but they don't tell her what they have on either at this point.

As part Velcoro's debt repayment, Semyon wants whatever information they find on Caspere's murder. Semyon is the first to find out about the second house in LA owned by Caspere, most likely as his sexual hideaway. He sends Velcoro to check it out, but Velcoro gets shot by rubber pellets -- the same kind used for crowd control by riot police. Instead of drinking away the pain, he gets even angrier than before and threatens to leave Semyon. While Semyon will stop at nothing to find the killer as a means to getting his money back, Vinci doesn't want the murderer found because it could end up exposing their financials to the State, and so instead want Velcoro to throw off the state's trail by getting them away from any Vinci paperwork and instead focused on the streets aspect of Caspere's murder, even willing to frame it on a gigolo or pimp. In addition to being angry from being shot, both of those options infuriate Velcoro and it seems like he's choosing the third option, which is to find out the truth, regardless of whether or not it involves implicating Vinci and denying Semyon his justice. It also allows him to get on the path to righting his life, which seems to be his ultimate goal, for his son.

Woodrugh:
Finally, there's Woodrugh. During the war on terror, he was stationed in Afghanistan with Black Mountain Security (basically a contracted security detail by the government). While in the desert, he ends up befriending and eventually having a three-day long tryst with a fellow soldier who also happens to move back to SoCal after they return. For whatever reason, definitely not his slutty mother, he feels very guilty about whatever happened abroad and is really conflicted about his sexuality. He gets to the point where the only way he can deny it is to actively have sex with women, something only possible with Viagra.

When we first meet him, as a CHP officer, he sees a driver weaving recklessly in traffic. When he pulls her over, the actress propositions him to get out of the ticket and probable probation violation. Clearly that won't work on a gay cop, so he still issues her the citation. As retribution, she accuses him of propositioning her, earning him a paid probation since everyone else knows its not true (although they don't know why it's not true).

To vent his sexual frustration after a drug-induced sex session with his "girlfriend," he goes on a biking trip on PCH at night. At 100 mph. Without his lights on. When he gets over his death wish, he ends up at the rest area where Caspere was dumped, thus the whole jurisdiction issue -- CHP (albeit off-duty) found the body off a state highway at a rest area, the county is interested because it's in unincorporated Ventura, and this is Vinci's missing person. The State uses this jurisdiction question as a way of getting into Vinci, even though the CHP's connection and investigation of the murder is tenuous at best. That's how the group gets together.

Seeing as he's the best looking of the four detectives investigating Caspere, Velcoro and Bezzarides send Woodrugh on the prostitute hunt. What they don't know is that the fourth cop, Velcoro's Vinci partner, is tailing him for a yet undivulged reason. The case is clearly making Woodrugh uncomfortable because the only prostitutes that help him are the gay men, so he goes on a drinking binge while at Semyon's old night club, whom he also ran into as Semyon was on his way to shake down his old shady business partners for information on Caspere.

That's all we really have on Woodrugh right now. He's an ultra-denying closet case who is having to confront his own sexuality inadvertently in order to help solve this case.

Other than that the deadly gunfight at the end of the last episode was clearly a setup and an attempt to kill one or all of the investigating officers.

PS the Twin Peaks "is he dead?" bit with Velcoroè's dad was totally shite and not in a good way.

megabyteme
07-19-2015, 11:54 PM
Okay, I've been watching now a few weeks... what is going on? :unsure:

(Has it totally gone off the rails this season? Well at least "Hell On Wheels" is back looking forward to that... (new episode) ... train staying on the track.) :alien:

I was pleased to see HoW back. A bit interesting to see the other side of the railroad story, but feels a bit formulaic in doing so. I am definitely pushing forward.

@Idol: I am into the second season of Penny Dreadful (ep2), and am excited about where that one is headed. "The Bride" setup is one Hell of a hook...

True Detective is not as good as season 1. :(

IdolEyes787
07-20-2015, 12:18 AM
Have you seen the TD shootout? The way it came out of left field was borderline brilliant.

As for Penny Dreadful, there too things are about to get turned on their ears.

Strangely, unpredictable seems to be a good thing.I wonder why nobody else in Hollywood does it?

Actually I'm sort of into True Detective as I've always been a fame of redemption type stories.

Hopefully this is a redemption type story.........

megabyteme
07-20-2015, 12:29 AM
The shootout did create the perfect "Oh, FUCK, what do we do now" scenario. Not up to the long shot sequence from season 1, but certainly plays on our media culture of questioning cops' intentions/reasonable reactions.

Definitely looking forward to the next ep...

Stehle
07-20-2015, 10:40 PM
I will finish up all episodes including the newest one tonight and comment further with a better prospective. :)

@Idol: Thank you! (Where did you get all that stuff?) :alien:
@Meg: I'm excited about the end shoot-out sequence now! Also thanks to both of your banter... I'm now firmly addicted to "PD". :alien:

megabyteme
07-21-2015, 06:52 AM
I'm now firmly addicted to "PD". :alien:

I'm now down to the last 2 eps of season 2. :w00t:

DitchCrew
07-21-2015, 01:24 PM
Good show but lots of wholes in the plot

Stehle
07-21-2015, 07:35 PM
Thanks to all I have a better grasp now of whats going on now... or at the very least I'm less confused :)

(The biggest change I noticed was the "Never Mind" theme song wording.) :alien:
(Great shoot-out sequence at the end of episode 4! Made my night!) :alien:

@Idol: Though a lesser character... wasn't Bezzarides's (task force) partner killed in the shoot-out? (My frame by frame slow-motion was still fuzzy)
@Idol: Also after episode 5... "Hopefully this is a redemption type story........." ...yep, just throw a big "Oops!" in there and you might be right. ;)

I'm now firmly addicted to "PD". :alien:

I'm now down to the last 2 eps of season 2. :w00t:

Just wait... :devil:

IdolEyes787
07-21-2015, 07:42 PM
The fat, even more corrupt cop got shot in the head near the very start. Kind of a waste of a character as he was tasked to following Woodrugh around for yet to be explained reasons and now it comes out that he also knew something of the diamonds in the safety deposit box.

Good show but lots of wholes in the plot

Yeah but every good show is but a some of it's parts.:mellow:

Randall1022
07-21-2015, 11:16 PM
Great show. I actually like the first season more. The second season seems to be missing the chemistry. Oh well just my opinion.

megabyteme
07-21-2015, 11:18 PM
Great show. I actually like the first season more. The second season seems to be missing the chemistry. Oh well just my opinion.

I think you are spot on with that assessment. So far, though, the script has deliberately made each of the characters not mesh. We'll see if they come together later in the season.

IdolEyes787
08-10-2015, 01:10 PM
All I can say is that if the producers set out to make the finale to be the least satisfying thing humanly possible then a job well done.

Also were the extra thirty minutes just so they could squeeze in a whole bunch more pointless aerial shots of freeways?

I only wish this was a movie so I could ask for my money back.

To Season 3 of True Defective I say

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYMD_W_r3Fg

georgeboy
10-18-2015, 12:52 PM
Too right. Season 2 was so far from Season 1, that it looks like another team wrote it. And I think Nic Pizzolatto musta been coersed to write it...

I doubt Season 3 will live up to the standards set by Season 1 and I'm pretty much convinced there will never be a Season 4.

c-bob
10-19-2015, 03:51 AM
Season 2 wasn't as good as season 1 like you say it was a bit all over the place.

billie
01-18-2016, 04:33 PM
Season 2 not bad but not so good as season 1

VanCellFixx
03-16-2017, 10:28 AM
I like Nick Velvet :)

ByFelicia
03-19-2017, 01:05 AM
I love Vince Vaughn and Rachel McAdams :happy: sorry this post it´s old haha but I started to watch the second season because of them