PDA

View Full Version : Overclocking The Cpu

fozziebear
02-11-2003, 01:49 PM
hi there, i was reading a question somone had posted, and somone had put they ahd overclocked their processor.

Sorry for the real NEWBIE question, but what is overclocking?
How do you do it?
What are the advantages/disadvantages?

Thank you

Bender
02-11-2003, 02:00 PM
Overclocking is tuning your CPU in a way it runs faster than it's designed for.

It has its advantages (much faster) but the disadvantages are great: cooling problems, shortened lifespan, etc...

It has to be done very carefully and with great knowledge of computers, so not for newbies (nor me).

Here's a site where you can find information about overclocking:
http://www.speedguide.net/Overclocking/ove...rclocking.shtml (http://www.speedguide.net/Overclocking/overclocking.shtml)

fozziebear
02-11-2003, 03:01 PM
thank you. Very informative.

Won't be overclocking mine.

Bender
02-11-2003, 04:01 PM
Same for me.
I'm waiting untill I have a new computer before I start experimenting with overclocking my old one.
That way I know it doesn't matter if (or better: when) I screw up. :lol:
The easiest way to enhance performance for newbies like us is putting in more RAM.

TClite
02-11-2003, 05:32 PM
If you have a good board and cpu, it should be possible to overclock via the BIOS, as long as you have some really good cooling set up. It should be ok to mildly overclock...just for the sake of experimenting

the disadvantages are less this way, the cpu is designed to be overclocked and stressed manufacturers retail their chips with a speed that maximises life span....however they can be pushed pretty far

note - possibly the most notable disadvantage of manipulating the cpu would be that it voids your warranty too

stumpy39
02-12-2003, 10:01 AM
overclocking is actually pretty harmless, you just have to get a basic idea of what you're doing first so you don't panic when nothing POST's... check out the forums on Toms Hardware (http://www.tomshardware.com) - toms of info there...

NB, if you have a newer P4 you can get really good resulta without too much trouble...

"The Avatar Man"
02-12-2003, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by stumpy39@12 February 2003 - 11:01
overclocking is actually pretty harmless, you just have to get a basic idea of what you're doing first so you don't panic when nothing POST's... check out the forums on Toms Hardware (http://www.tomshardware.com) - toms of info there...

NB, if you have a newer P4 you can get really good resulta without too much trouble...
I agree but you shouldn't make it sound THAT easy.
some newbie could toast his processor :(

chloe_cc2002
02-12-2003, 12:07 PM
People would buy chips from Intel, overclock them and sell the system, the shady manufacturer disappeared so they decided for security chips to prevent overclocking. They are more afraid of what a retailer might do, rather than what you do with it.

Overclocking would increase your processing power, etc, with all the enhancements. Once you go over the specs though it is dicey. If you burn up your processor then they'll just sell you a new processor so they are happy. :)

In terms of warranties etc would this be obvious to determine??

CornerPocket
02-12-2003, 02:17 PM
A lot of the newer chips these days are coming out with overclocking block technology. As some say there are up's-n-downs when it comes to overclocking. Cooling is the main priority when doing so. If done I would sugggest a better heatsink/fan combo and perhaps a case fans or two. Or the poorman's way, leave the case sides off :P

I've done a lot of overclocking of cpu's over the past 6-7yrs and continue to do so, never lost one yet. As for *ntel, the older Celeron cpu's were the better of *ntel to oc, you could up lets say a 500mhz to oh a easy 700-850mhz, even higher. *MD cpu's were aso easy before they too started incorportating the blocking technology. That didn't last too long, ways to oc starting emerging. You could take a 500mhz up to 550-600mhz, best I could get without having to resort to the well known water cooling method was taking a 900mhz to 1100mhz.

Just thought I would share some of my success. As stated, it will void warranty, can cause instability, pc lockups, BSOD if oc'd too much, but if you have a few laying around have at it, experiment. B)

Grim
02-12-2003, 05:35 PM
Ya all seem to have missed summit oot, HOW TO DO IT???

CornerPocket
02-12-2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Grim@12 February 2003 - 11:35
Actually have to tell what cpu you have. They all overclock in diferent ways. For instance I am a DieHard AMD user (guess using the name is okay

Good Page -
overclocking (http://www.hwupgrade.com/overclock/cpu/)

Grim
02-12-2003, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by CornerPocket+12 February 2003 - 18:44--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (CornerPocket @ 12 February 2003 - 18:44)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Grim@12 February 2003 - 11:35
Actually have to tell what cpu you have. They all overclock in diferent ways. For instance I am a DieHard AMD user (guess using the name is okay

Good Page -
overclocking (http://www.hwupgrade.com/overclock/cpu/) [/b][/quote]
Sorry&#33; Using an AMD Athlon 800mhz, 256mb ram & evrything seems to run quite fast anyway. No Problems reely.

J'Pol
03-07-2003, 08:51 AM
I speak of the old days, so things may have changed.

There was never such a thing as a speed for the processor. There was an architecture. So you got the Pentium, the PentiumMX (or mmx or something like that, enhanced instruction set same architecture), Pentium II etc.

As the manufacturer got better at making them then they could run at higher speeds and still be reliable. So the Pentium P90 became the P120. It was exactly the same chip, but better built so could run faster. Eventually the older ones were phased out as existing stocks were used up. If there was a bigger demand for the P90 because it was cheaper, then they would sometimes supply P120 chips instead, because they had them. So you could get a 30% incrfease and still be within the built in tolerance.

Manufacturers have to build in a certain margin for error. The processor will always be able to run faster than it says. However as the chaps say it will also get hotter. If provide good cooling then this should not be a problem. In addition to the suggestions earlier, if you have the option then keep the PC in a room with no heating on. Use the PC to heat the room, think of it as a big fan heater. Then you will know the amount of heat it is producing, froma couple of square inches. Think about it, it is difficult to cool it if the ambient temperature is high. So keep the room cool. Also make sure it is well ventilated. Not under your desk with a pile of dirty clothes on top.

One oem actually made a PC with a built in fridge, around the processor. It never really took off. I think the latest thing is large copper fan shaped heat sinks, providing the maximum surface area to dissipate the heat produced.

I have overclocked old systems and got a noticeable boost in performance. However I don&#39;t do it anymore. The modern stuff is fast enough for me anyway. Just get plenty of RAM