PDA

View Full Version : How To Find Those NZB's

wlspicer
01-22-2014, 09:47 AM
As an alternative to posting of donating in order to gain access to downloading NZB's, you can access the
same information by using a free Newsgroup Reader. Each applicable Newgroup name is still shown on the
Sharetalk information page. Just add the appropriate Newgroups and download the last few days headers. Filter
for NZB's and you should find whatever you're looking for.

zealot
01-23-2014, 02:41 PM
The usenet has so much to offer. A decent Newsgroup reader will allow you access to files that the NZB Indexers do not have on their sites. I use Unison on the Mac which has a very useful Header search which speeds up the process. Don't just rely on Indexers they can be closed down at any time.

Hellspire
01-23-2014, 04:19 PM
The usenet has so much to offer. A decent Newsgroup reader will allow you access to files that the NZB Indexers do not have on their sites. I use Unison on the Mac which has a very useful Header search which speeds up the process. Don't just rely on Indexers they can be closed down at any time.

I find that the usenet is so large that it is difficult to find things to download without indexing, are there any utilities that help with that?

zealot
01-23-2014, 05:21 PM

I find that the usenet is so large that it is difficult to find things to download without indexing, are there any utilities that help with that?

Thats why you need a Newsgroup Reader with a built in search function. First a generic Title search to find the Newsgroup, the most popular groups have the most headers. Then a specific search of the headers to find what you want.

gloster
01-24-2014, 08:33 AM
But isn't this proving more tricky nowadays given that a lot of NZBs including ones on this site unpack as the individual rars with just numbers and not the file names - presumably to avoid the take down issues that start to appear around the 2 years ago?

Sometimes using the indexer search sites to post the name in works - but in many occasions especially looking for 1080P mkvs it doesn't. However I would be interest to know which clients people use having only really tried Grabit and a portable version of Newsleecher which I had many years ago.

Beck38
01-24-2014, 09:51 AM
Thats why you need a Newsgroup Reader with a built in search function. First a generic Title search to find the Newsgroup, the most popular groups have the most headers. Then a specific search of the headers to find what you want.

A good example of this is News Rover, which uses the indexing and header retrieval system built into Giganews. The entire database (which goes back some 2000 days at this point, to July/August 2008) is searchable.

Doesn't help much with all the scrambled filenames though, but...

But isn't this proving more tricky nowadays given that a lot of NZBs including ones on this site unpack as the individual rars with just numbers and not the file names - presumably to avoid the take down issues that start to appear around the 2 years ago?

Yes, however, a 'work around' that some are using utilizes 'the google' to decrypt the actual title, therefore one doesn't need a 'pass' into some obscure website to make the 'link'. If more folks would use this methodology, coupled with rar passwords (also with some easily figured out obfuscation) things would be a lot better. Just enough hoops to jump through that the takedown folks see too much work for their overstressed brains but simple enough to decode for usenet fans.

But very few posting folks sit down and figure things out.