PDA

View Full Version : Best movies of all time (Do Not Discuss)

popcorn176
01-25-2014, 04:36 AM
Name 10 of your all time favorite movies

redturboeclipse
01-25-2014, 11:01 AM
back to the future series

chalice
01-25-2014, 11:10 AM
Fuck Off To The Right Section And Die, You Dopey Cunt. It's a family classic.

megabyteme
01-25-2014, 11:34 AM
Welcome back, chalice. Sorry I missed the opportunity to create a birthday thread for you last week. Was pretty much down in the dirt...

chalice
01-25-2014, 11:45 AM
Welcome back, chalice. Sorry I missed the opportunity to create a birthday thread for you last week. Was pretty much down in the dirt...

That's perfectly okay, Megbert. Death begins at forty anyway. Little point celebrating it. I must say this new influx of spastics has renewed my vigour. All I was missing was something to hate.

megabyteme
01-25-2014, 11:56 AM
They're great for releasing pent-up aggression on. Like pounding the snot out of retarded 4 year-olds. They go limp. :happy:

IdolEyes787
01-25-2014, 12:17 PM
Name 10 of your all time favorite movies

I'm not seeing a whole lot of discussion potential here.

Unless of course by "discuss" you mean "list".

Also to whom it may concern, and by that I obviously mean no one, please do not move this to the Movie and TV Forum as there is enough spam happening already,thank you very much.

IdolEyes787
01-25-2014, 12:20 PM
Welcome back, chalice. Sorry I missed the opportunity to create a birthday thread for you last week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIfu2A0ezq0

chalice
01-25-2014, 12:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0oE6xxUkz8

IdolEyes787
01-25-2014, 12:43 PM
The person reading that may well have the most off putting voice that I've ever heard.
Sort of like what I assume the sound of desiccating flesh would make if it had a voice and was asexual.

chalice
01-25-2014, 12:59 PM
Glad you enjoyed it.

bigdog56
01-25-2014, 05:05 PM
Rounders!!

TheFoX
01-25-2014, 05:32 PM
What is a donator? Is it actually a word? I thought someone who donated was a 'donor'.

IdolEyes787
01-25-2014, 06:47 PM
What is a donator?

Artemis
01-25-2014, 07:57 PM
My arteries are hardening just looking at that picture.....

shamcra
01-26-2014, 12:24 AM
Ben Hur
Shawshank Redemption
The Godfather I and III
Se7en
Gladiator
Once Upon A Time In America
Alien
Das Boot
Taxi Driver
The Longest Day

mp3101
01-26-2014, 01:21 AM
Like HEAT....lots of great dialogue from some great actors.

IdolEyes787
01-26-2014, 02:02 AM
Shawshank Redemption
The Godfather I and III

Weird because Godfather II is generally considered to be the best while third one is generally considered to be a piece of crap.

Also someone please explain to me again what is so good about Shawshank Redemption?

piercerseth
01-26-2014, 03:13 AM
Also someone please explain to me again what is so good about Shawshank Redemption?Schmaltzy film helmed by a competent director and a script that apes Tolstoy? TNT used to play the damn thing at least 5 or 6 times a week. If the film had followed the short story's beat (wherein he'd actually killed those people iirc) you'd see it less fondly remembered.

deemusic836
01-26-2014, 05:45 AM
Coming to America

Artemis
01-26-2014, 05:55 AM
Shawshank Redemption
The Godfather I and III

Also someone please explain to me again what is so good about Shawshank Redemption?

Tim Robbins is repeatedly manraped? :idunno:

mjmacky
01-26-2014, 06:24 AM

To me, it's how a man so unshakable in his determination bears all kinds of trespasses yet does not continuously need to proclaim them or have them reaffirmed. Dufresne is someone who exists as a support inside himself.

To each their own connection, like Art's love of the rape. However, I did not find the "tall drink of water" to be particularly equine.

There's also bromance before it was ruined by bromance.

and Morgan Freeman.

mjmacky
01-26-2014, 06:27 AM
I think I may have to preemptively stop Art from ranting about how he's only had a brush with horse rape and that he's not into rape in general. I'm just yanking on your manhood, Art. I'm going to rape you one day, like for fun, then say, "just kidding" afterwards.

Just kidding

But really, I hope you stay on top of your hygiene.

TheFoX
01-26-2014, 11:29 AM
The Predator. It is a film about an alien who hunts down retard posters within the forest of FST.

IdolEyes787
01-26-2014, 01:07 PM

To me, it's how a man so unshakable in his determination bears all kinds of trespasses yet does not continuously need to proclaim them or have them reaffirmed.

Good point if you were not also describing The Waterboy.

Artemis
01-26-2014, 07:50 PM
I think I may have to preemptively stop Art from ranting about how he's only had a brush with horse rape and that he's not into rape in general. I'm just yanking on your manhood, Art. I'm going to rape you one day, like for fun, then say, "just kidding" afterwards.

Just kidding

But really, I hope you stay on top of your hygiene.

Now we all know of your penchant for mental scenarios, and the lavish playing out of them, but your little mental tableau this time....it did involve a big fucking gun I take it? :blink:

megabyteme
01-26-2014, 08:30 PM
Coming to America

Yeah, that's why it won so many Oscars. :blink:

Quarterquack
01-27-2014, 12:43 AM

The protagonist wields a crowbar but doesn't sleep with his own daughter.

megabyteme
01-27-2014, 12:47 AM
The protagonist wields a crowbar but doesn't sleep with his own daughter.

Sholy hit! Speaking of pointless posters. I see the assassins I hired sent me 'shopped photos of your demise. Can't trust Russians these days. :no:

Quarterquack
01-27-2014, 12:51 AM
Sholy hit! Speaking of pointless posters. I see the assassins I hired sent me 'shopped photos of your demise. Can't trust Russians these days. :no:

Are refunds even possible when you pay in sex?

zunah
01-28-2014, 12:10 AM
Shawshank Redemption
Green Mile

IdolEyes787
01-28-2014, 12:15 AM
Shawshank Redemption
Green Mile

For all intents and purposes they're the same movie and shut the fuck up*.

*Note.Posted in Lounge.

megabyteme
01-28-2014, 04:50 AM

I'll send Idol back. I instructed him not to swallow in case this sort of thing happened. :sly:

kalebson
01-28-2014, 04:54 AM
I do not think I would classify them as the same movie LOL.

IdolEyes787
01-28-2014, 01:36 PM

Let's see...Both set in maximum security prisons . Both based on works by Stephen King.Both contain characters who keep animals as pets.Both have "twists" dealing with false accusations and their repercussions .Both ape profundity while not actually achieving it.

No, I pretty sure they're the same movie.

Anyway as you chose to use "LOL" in a a non-ironic manner I guess more can't be expected.

Actual great "prison" movies if only because they're smart enough to realize that even in the worst of conditions,life isn't just a long one dimensional parade.

Cool Hand Luke
Papillon
Hunger
Birdman of Alcatraz

IdolEyes787
01-28-2014, 01:44 PM

I'll send Idol back. I instructed him not to swallow in case this sort of thing happened. :sly:

Two words: transference,bro

or the gheydy does protest too much,methinks.

megabyteme
01-28-2014, 03:08 PM
Hunger

Guess I missed this on as it deals with the Irish. Does anyone care about the Irish? :idunno:

Mr. Mulder
01-28-2014, 04:13 PM
that movie wots got a protagonist in it who lyke, does some stuff, but then suffers a set back but then it all works out lyke, once he's had a word.

or that other movie where there's lyke, a group of protagonists and lyke, they do some stuff or something else and then things don't go their way but then they totally pull together and it all works out

Mr. Mulder
01-28-2014, 04:15 PM
i mean edward penis hands.

Artemis
01-28-2014, 08:07 PM

Let's see...Both set in maximum security prisons . Both based on works by Stephen King.Both contain characters who keep animals as pets.Both have "twists" dealing with false accusations and their repercussions .Both ape profundity while not actually achieving it.

No, I pretty sure they're the same movie.

Anyway as you chose to use "LOL" in a a non-ironic manner I guess more can't be expected.

Actual great "prison" movies if only because they're smart enough to realize that even in the worst of conditions,life isn't just a long one dimensional parade.

Cool Hand Luke
Papillon
Hunger
Birdman of Alcatraz

I'll give you your list right up until we get to Robert Stroud, you see the real 'Birdman' was not a harmless old man who liked to feed the birdies. Alcatraz was the toilet of the American prison system and Stroud really was a prize, convicted of manslaughter for the point blank shooting of a man (after knocking him unconscious) he was the most violent prisoner at his first medium level prison, so much so that he was transferred to the maximum security penitentiary at Leavenworth in Kansas. In a rage there over the loss of visiting rights for an infraction, he stabbed a guard through the heart. Stroud was tried three times for the guard's murder and sentenced to death twice.
His death sentence was commuted eight days before it was carried out by the president of the United States. He was adjudged by two prison psychiatrists to be a psychopath and actually spent most of his time in prison in solitary confinement (although this might have something to do with the fact that he was adjudged a 'dangerous homosexual'). Stroud died in prison at a medical center for federal prisoners in 1963.

racerxxv
01-28-2014, 08:24 PM
Heat is an all time favorite that was very popular in Europe, but not in the US
The Man who would be King
Wild Geese
The Final Option

Perhaps not the best movies of all time, but good ones that a lotta folks may have overlooked.

Oblivionmodx56
01-29-2014, 11:26 AM
I'm rather fond of the departed.

hingisfan
01-31-2014, 04:48 PM
Shawshank Redemption!

also love Remember the Titans

megabyteme
01-31-2014, 05:26 PM
[Robert Stroud, you see the real 'Birdman'][...]He was adjudged by two prison psychiatrists to be a psychopath and actually spent most of his time in prison in solitary confinement (although this might have something to do with the fact that he was adjudged a 'dangerous homosexual').

Aren't they all. Aren't they all. :fear:

IdolEyes787
01-31-2014, 07:04 PM
Wild Geese
The Final Option

Perhaps not the best movies of all time, but good ones that a lotta folks may have overlooked.

The Man Who Would Be King is one of the greatest English language adventure films.On the other hand The Wild Geese is basically just Seven Samurai/ The Magnificent Seven with less likable/memorable characters.
Also with The Wild Geese I lost all empathy for the protagonists when during the "rescue" they murdered all the guards in their sleep.

I think you have to be able to root for the characters in stuff like this and simply setting the whole thing up as "bad vs. worst" wasn't the best way to proceed.

chalice
01-31-2014, 08:49 PM
Wild Geese
The Final Option

The Man Who Would Be King is one of the greatest English language adventure films.On the other hand The Wild Geese is basically just Seven Samurai/ The Magnificent Seven with less likable/memorable characters.
Also with The Wild Geese I lost all empathy for the protagonists when during the "rescue" they murdered all the guards in their sleep.

I think you have to be able to root for the characters in stuff like this and simply setting the whole thing up as "bad vs. worst" wasn't the best way to proceed.

This dichotomy you display fascinates me, Idol. As far as film and yourself go, which is pretty far, in my ignorant opinion, you're quite clearly a traditionalist in your stance, yet you're perfectly aware (and I don't mean in Google way) of grittier, more uncompromising cinema. I've seen you resistant to new, innovative concepts, while rattling bones about classic/populist films, set in impossible contrast to these newer, transitory myriad styles.

We all know all the stories have been told. They were told before celluloid was a mere viscose liquid twinkle in the daguerreotype's one shutter eye. It's like the alphabet, wouldn't you agree? Where some successions of letters convey more sense than others? Of course there is no more original thought. Just as there are no more original atoms. They just transmute, after time, into something else, more or less offensive, dependent of course, on the viewer, or whatever has previously prejudiced the viewer.

Anyway, to each his own, and I'm perfectly willing to accept that you're only happy watching something wherein at least eighty per cent of the actors therein are deceased. Is that your criteria? Can't recall a recent occurrence where you actually said something positive about the medium you proclaim to love so much. If I'm wrong, which is a considerable probability, please to be accepting my profuse unapologies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRN-X74VVK4

Alien5
01-31-2014, 11:07 PM
hey barry normal ^

1. Flash Gordon (1980) is just a great classic funny british 80s Sci-fi film, unlike most star-wars style films ( am i allowed to say star wars?
I Cant wait for flash gordon II. i hope its as good as gremlins II.

Brazil (1985) Directed by Terry Gilliam are both the best films, brazil because its wacky and makes you wonder why he works for c***s?
the angel dream scenes are amazing.

Blade runner- directed by
Ridley Scott, its not quite the same as star wars but Han ford plays a divorced detective in the future, and falls for a young droid instead of a slave princess, and runs after a prostitute who fall through loads of glass windows in slow mo.

Time Bandits - Directed by Terry Gilliam classic 80s brit comedy/action/midget/scifi/myth/timetravel/adventure - fortunately without the unwanted hollywood budget this film wasn't ruined either.
john Cleese is played by the comedian robin hood.

kingpin is a road trip bowling classic of the mid 90s when woody wasn't paid much obviously and he is so funny in this with bill murray from groundhog day, also funny film.

the cable guy is my favourite 90s comedy of his, surprisingly he is almost believably loopy in this one due to the ridiculous stutter

Barton Fink - The Big Lebowski also has a good story watch it twice or whatever can't remember what its all about but its full of great acting scenes.

Fear.And.Loathing.In.Las.Vegas- all of all his films are good anyway. i don't know why

Texas "go get you're brother" chainsaw. greatest of the lowest of the low budget horrors, unforgettably creepy, in a horror this ticks all the boxes except hollywood and $ you want to see it, but its painful to watch.

clockwork orange - OTT disturbing,violent and funny, it fits the category of Ultimate Mindf***

the Shining, is a horror/thriller written by stephen king directed by kubric, by turning the story into a complex headlock of anal kububric headfuckery stephen king didn't get the story either so they also made another documentary called Room 237 explaining what all that symbolism was.
i was 100% more disturbed by the carpets than Jack loosing his sanity.

i didn't say they were my top 10
i like them ok
fuck off

IdolEyes787
02-01-2014, 01:31 AM
Anyway, to each his own, and I'm perfectly willing to accept that you're only happy watching something wherein at least eighty per cent of the actors therein are deceased. Is that your criteria? Can't recall a recent occurrence where you actually said something positive about the medium you proclaim to love so much. If I'm wrong, which is a considerable probability, please to be accepting my profuse unapologies.

I can't recall an occurrence,recent or otherwise,where I proclaimed a love of cinema. :unsure:
I have however said on numerous occasions that I liked some "recent" movie, some of them even being not so universally praiseworthy( the Dredd remake ironically springs to mind).

Things I don't especially like though and probably never will and have also stated this, are films lacking rootable protagonists or satisfying if not necessarily happy endings or ones that insult their audience.
I'm also not enamoured of cruelty or violence seemingly for violence sake. Hence me not being a fan of certain genres or directors or in the case of '70's,time periods.

IdolEyes787
02-01-2014, 01:35 AM
Fear.And.Loathing.In.Las.Vegas- all of all his films are good anyway.

Watch Jabberwocky and then try saying that with a straight face.

trousers
02-01-2014, 06:43 AM
I liked django

chalice
02-01-2014, 08:49 AM

I can't recall an occurrence,recent or otherwise,where I proclaimed a love of cinema. :unsure:
I have however said on numerous occasions that I liked some "recent" movie, some of them even being not so universally praiseworthy( the Dredd remake ironically springs to mind).

Things I don't especially like though and probably never will and have also stated this, are films lacking rootable protagonists or satisfying if not necessarily happy endings or ones that insult their audience.
I'm also not enamoured of cruelty or violence seemingly for violence sake. Hence me not being a fan of certain genres or directors or in the case of '70's,time periods.

Yeah well, you're fortunate I can't remember posting any of the above or I might have some searing insight as to what you just said. Reading back, it's pure gobbledegook on my part. And that's how it should be. Where the fuck do you think you are, movie world or something?

Also, I heartily recommend Valium tandemed with the vino rouge for posting pish on the internets.

TheFoX
02-02-2014, 10:37 AM
I liked django

You say that in the past tense. I gather you no longer like it, which means it is no longer your best movie of all time, is it now?

mjmacky
02-02-2014, 12:48 PM
To me, it's how a man so unshakable in his determination bears all kinds of trespasses yet does not continuously need to proclaim them or have them reaffirmed.

Good point if you were not also describing The Waterboy.

Despite your insistence, I'm not going to rewatch a film from the 90s just to see if I'd still like it. At the least, I'm not doing that sort of thing much these days since I've found that most 80s and 90s films turn into big piles of suck after fermentation. If it was really worthwhile, I'd have watched it again. For this, I am describing The Waterboy.

mjmacky
02-02-2014, 12:50 PM
Now we all know of your penchant for mental scenarios, and the lavish playing out of them, but your little mental tableau this time....it did involve a big fucking gun I take it? :blink:

Oh yeah, Art, you will indeed take my big fucking gun, you will take it all the way inside. I'm glad to have you on board with what we'll be calling my penis.

Artemis
02-02-2014, 01:25 PM

Oh yeah, Art, you will indeed take my big fucking gun, you will take it all the way inside. I'm glad to have you on board with what we'll be calling my penis.

Well done..... to clarify, you will need a large caliber hand gun in order to be able to use your 'big gun' otherwise I will turn you into a piano accordion. :yup:

IdolEyes787
02-02-2014, 02:36 PM
I liked django

You say that in the past tense. I gather you no longer like it, which means it is no longer your best movie of all time, is it now?

With the exclusion of "Unchained" obviously he's referring to the original Franco Nero,Spaghetti Western version and feels that he can no longer support the Italian film industry due to the country's immense political corruption.

In light of that, I'm expecting him to soon stop liking everything made in Hollywood as well. :)

mjmacky
02-07-2014, 08:44 AM

Well done..... to clarify, you will need a large caliber hand gun in order to be able to use your 'big gun' otherwise I will turn you into a piano accordion. :yup:

From what I gather, you're asking me to fill you with a sizeable load when this goes down. How do you feel about doggy style?

roettgers
02-07-2014, 05:01 PM
Terminator 2

Silentkat
02-08-2014, 12:44 AM
Back to the future ....hands down

Riptide
02-08-2014, 03:50 AM
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly is IMO one of my all time favorites. So many good movies it's hard to choose a #1 IMO.

TheFoX
02-08-2014, 12:36 PM
The Chronicles of Riddick.

spudrancher
02-24-2014, 03:31 AM
Now I can't say it's the best movie of all time, but if you want to see a movie that is the best I have seen as of late check out Safety Not Guaranteed. It is very refreshing and humorous.

lance55433
02-24-2014, 04:14 AM
So we are not posting our top 10? Any movie with liv tyler

misterfinch
02-24-2014, 06:52 AM
Heat

I believe it's one of the first movies where Al Pacino and Robert De Niro are in the same movie

TheFoX
03-01-2014, 11:36 AM
If you want a good suspense, try The Last House on the Left. When he puts that guys' head in the microwave, that is awesome.

sedaka
03-01-2014, 02:14 PM
First , Jaws, Final Destination, Anaconda, 3-10 to yuma, Rambo, Jumper, Alive or dead, Mirrors, Apocalypto, Transporter.

TheFoX
03-01-2014, 07:03 PM
First , Jaws, Final Destination, Anaconda, 3-10 to yuma, Rambo, Jumper, Alive or dead, Mirrors, Apocalypto, Transporter.

You left a few out. Why not just link to the IMDB.

optiknerve
03-02-2014, 08:04 PM
Betty Blue has been on top of my list for a while... anyone had the chance to watch this one before?

garjac
03-02-2014, 09:13 PM
what about The Green Mile

gopo
03-03-2014, 03:18 PM
Black Cat, White Cat

lazardus
03-04-2014, 03:38 AM
Vampire Hunter D. The 1985 version!

chasity1313
03-05-2014, 04:41 PM
My favorite movies of all time are friday the 13th my hubby had me buy the whole set 4 times

NeedABeer
03-05-2014, 05:03 PM
The baramui Fighter!

musicdork
03-07-2014, 12:22 AM
Pulp Fiction

Angie
03-07-2014, 01:23 AM
Bram Stoker's Dracula Gary Oldman acting on that movie was incredible

Travo1
03-07-2014, 03:14 AM
BRAVEHEART....duh!

Skiz
03-07-2014, 04:33 AM
Enough of this one word answer nonsense. It's a discussion board.

IdolEyes787
03-07-2014, 12:54 PM

If wishes were horses then beggars would ride.

Or

If the vast majority of people apparently disagree with you,does that make you a visionary or simply delusional?

Or

Cold reality cares little for a person's desires or else we would all be kings and rock stars and Olympic champions.

Sorry,what was the question again?

Artemis
03-08-2014, 01:07 AM

This is an A.D.H.D. helpline, what did you expect? :blink:

liljensen
03-08-2014, 02:34 AM
face off

van wilder

bazzarooney
03-08-2014, 03:20 AM
The usual suspects, hands down the best movie ever

keithyboo
03-08-2014, 11:36 AM
Frozen, would be my little girls. Mine would be Stand By Me, or the Goonies

IdolEyes787
03-08-2014, 02:06 PM
Could somebody have the grace to at least remove the "(Discuss)" from the thread title so I won't be so overwhelming inclined to want to hurt people every time I look at this spam thread?

mjmacky
03-08-2014, 07:21 PM
Frozen, would be my little girls.

Delicious ice pop treats.

Kayoss
03-20-2014, 08:27 AM
Oldboy (Original, not the spike lee remake)

Stehle
03-21-2014, 12:21 AM
Frozen, would be my little girls.

Delicious ice pop treats.

...it hurts right now for me to laugh, but I did.

(Thanks!) :alien: