PDA

View Full Version : Notable Hard / Heavy Albums from last couple of years

SausageRoll
02-06-2014, 08:58 PM
Hi there,

Quick 2 min brainstorm of albums that have made an impact on me in the last couple of years. Please add more.

In no order....

Mastodon - The Hunter (2011). Took a few listens but great album. Close your eyes and run through that forest.
Black Breath - Heavy Breathing (2010). Hard edged black metal that will want you craving a sweaty moshpit. I like this better than the follow up Sentenced To Life.
Anthrax - Worship Music (2011). Great melodic thrash with singalong choruses.
Volbeat - Outlaw Gentlemen And Shady Ladies (2013). Listen, enjoy and sing along. These guys are shit hot.
Alter Bridge - Fortress (2013). Polished album and the opening track is a killer.
Avenged Sevenfold - Hail To The King (2013). Got a lot of stick for sounding like other bands but when it's bands like Iron Maiden and Metallica that's no bad thing. Great album.
While She Sleeps - This Is the Six (2012). Raw, heavy, melodic, bit screamy and brilliant.
Anathema - Weather Systems (2012). Astounding album that will take you on a chilled out journey. Good to listen to last thing at night.
Sunn O))) and Ulver - Terrestials (2014). Slow doom-laden grind. Like the Bladerunner soundtrack on heroin.
Dillinger Escape Plan - One Of Us Is The Killer (2013). Heavy Techy Hardcore goodness.

piercerseth
02-06-2014, 09:23 PM
Sunn O))) and Ulver - Terrestials (2014). Slow doom-laden grind. Like the Bladerunner soundtrack on heroin.

Interesting description, Vangelis on the ole H train. I'll have to give it a listen.

I was a much bigger fan of Mastodon's Crack the Skye. Something about their concept albums.

Zodd
02-06-2014, 09:37 PM
Vektor - Outer isolation (2011) Incredible trash with a good technique and melody
Anaal Nathrakh - Vanitas (2012) Black metal, often described as the soundtrack to Armageddon.

SausageRoll
02-07-2014, 09:08 PM
Yep, good point about Crack The Skye. Prob would edge it over The Hunter. I'm looking forward to the new album as well. I reckon that ordeal they had with the tour bus rolling down the side of a hill and nearly killing em all will have brought about some good tunes.

Zodd, I just checked out Anaal Nathrakh - Vanitas. Sounds pretty damn good, cheers for the heads up.

KAGman
02-09-2014, 05:42 PM
Latest Dying Fetus album rules, along with anything from Nile, Skeletonwitch, and Toxic Holocaust.