PDA

View Full Version : What software do you use to watch a 3D SBS or OU mkv file?

visionmaster
02-07-2014, 11:17 PM
I was just wondering what software you use to watch a 3D SBS or OU .mkv file... I was wondering if I could use my current setup, which currently consists of xbmc eden (actually openelec) playing on an acer revo, if I buy a new 3D TV? My currently TV's are old 720p plasmas...

btb66
02-09-2014, 02:03 PM
Using mainly XBMC here, though sometimes MPC-HC. I enjoy a good 3D movie.

wang
02-12-2014, 03:10 PM
Is the revo powerful enough to play 3d files?

ninjasnake
02-17-2014, 03:42 AM
I put it on a usb and stick it in my WDTV media player.

megabyteme
02-17-2014, 04:31 AM
I have no current experience with XBMC, so I do not know what plug-ins are available for 3D files.

However, not too long ago, I experimented with playing downloaded 3D blurays. The two software options I came across, which worked on my similarly powered (to your Acer Revo) Asus EEE, playing 720p (I do not remember 1080p's playing well enough without bogging down) the was Totalmedia Theatre (http://www.arcsoft.com/totalmedia-theatre/) and Stereoscopic Player (http://www.3dtv.at/Products/Player/Index_en.aspx).

Both worked. TT5 (now available as version 6) had a spiffier interface, but was slower when trying to use the interface. Playback with files smaller than 720p, there was no problem at all. SP worked well, had an abundance of features, but did not have as much "shine and polish". Ultimately, I found it the more useable of the two- just make sure you are familiar enough with the correct settings you will need for the type of playback you want. It can be more confusing.

I was able to find both of these players on torrent sites.

EDIT- Looking at 3dtorrents, I believe my memory of "720p" files to be incorrect. 1080p should be OK on your Revo, just try to keep the file size to under 10GB. Preferably less, tbh.

rlewis1767
02-17-2014, 03:37 PM
I have a Sony 3D TV and 3D movies coded as mp4 work fine without any special handling. I use Divx media center to transmit via DLNA over wireless network from my PC. No problems.

megabyteme
02-17-2014, 05:50 PM
I have a Sony 3D TV and 3D movies coded as mp4 work fine without any special handling. I use Divx media center to transmit via DLNA over wireless network from my PC. No problems.

That may be a good point. My setup involves a 2D-only projector, but on a 3D television, I have to wonder if the processing would be handled at the television. :idunno:

People with more $$$ than me... :fist::pinch: