PDA

View Full Version : Robo Cop

PaulAmos
02-08-2014, 11:45 AM
Hi Guys , has anyone seen the new Robocop yet? Is it as good as the first?? Im off to cinema to watch Monday and cant wait :)

piercerseth
02-08-2014, 01:38 PM
Hi Guys , has anyone seen the new Robocop yet? Is it as good as the first?? Im off to cinema to watch Monday and cant wait :)
The original is a goddamn masterpiece.

Peter Weller studied mime under a Julliard instructor to get Robo's movements down. Rob Bottin, fx god responsible for Thing '82 handled makeup on the original. You can thank Phil Tippet, greatest stop motion animator since Harryhausen, for ED209 (and Cain, the only good thing about Robocop 2). You have a wonderfully realised rogues' gallery helmed by Kurtwood Smith's performance and dialog. That's a fucking pedigree.

A Christ allegory meets a Fangoria nerd's wet dream with Verhoeven's subversionary direction. I mean the commentary on Detroit seems frighteningly prophetic now.

Versus some PG13 CG fare. It'll shit the bed just like the abyssmal and wholly unecessary Total Recall '12. That just leaves Starship Troopers.

EDIT: Totally forgot Basil Poledouris's score.

megabyteme
02-08-2014, 02:21 PM
Peter Weller studied mime under a Julliard instructor to get Robo's movements down.

No wonder there was a sense of pleasure seeing him get the crap beat out of him. :D

Rob Bottin, fx god responsible for Thing '82 handled makeup on the original. You can thank Phil Tippet, greatest stop motion animator since Harryhausen, for ED209 (and Cain, the only good thing about Robocop 2). You have a wonderfully realised rogues' gallery helmed by Kurtwood Smith's performance and dialog. That's a fucking pedigree.

A Christ allegory meets a Fangoria nerd's wet dream with Verhoeven's subversionary direction. I mean the commentary on Detroit seems frighteningly prophetic now.

Very nice eval, p!

torrentus
02-08-2014, 06:38 PM
I watched it already, general can tell that the movie is nice to watch. Leaved my long review here (http://moviescout.tv/stream-robocop-2014-online.html#comment-26215)

Skiz
02-08-2014, 07:15 PM

Peter Weller studied mime under a Julliard instructor to get Robo's movements down. Rob Bottin, fx god responsible for Thing '82 handled makeup on the original. You can thank Phil Tippet, greatest stop motion animator since Harryhausen, for ED209 (and Cain, the only good thing about Robocop 2). You have a wonderfully realised rogues' gallery helmed by Kurtwood Smith's performance and dialog. That's a fucking pedigree.

Versus some PG13 CG fare. It'll shit the bed just like the abyssmal and wholly unecessary Total Recall '12. That just leaves Starship Troopers.

EDIT: Totally forgot Basil Poledouris's score.

This.

And Hollywood needs to stop. remaking. movies. It's fucking irritating.

Also, I refuse to even give this new remake a chance if it doesn't have the "I'd buy that for a dollar" creep.

IdolEyes787
02-08-2014, 08:01 PM
I watched it already, general can tell that the movie is nice to watch. Leaved my long review here (http://moviescout.tv/stream-robocop-2014-online.html#comment-26215)

... with better CGI and sound effects, making them cooler, stylish and more entertaining than the original. :eyebrows:

Unless the trailer totally misrepresents the movie,which considering how trailers work nowadays that is entirely possible, I would say that the "update" likely rips the beating heart from the story and replaces it with a bunch of special effects and loud noise.

Oh sorry,you just said that.

piercerseth
02-09-2014, 02:13 AM
Thanks meg, it's obviously a film close to my heart. I'm not totally averse to remakes. Carpenter's Thing supplants the Hawks original in every way. I like Savini's remake of NotLD. Snyder's Dawn of the Dead isn't terrible. But that's a decade removed, and Romero totally fell off.

New RoboCop's PG13 would indicate they're vying for a wider audience. Why not make Murphy a woman? Just something new or unique. Something.

I am glad Michael Keaton's eyebrows are getting work again. I hope the new Beetlejuice doesn't disappoint.

pythoncancer
02-09-2014, 07:28 AM
My only complain why PG13. Ruined all the fun that made first Classic .Hollywood need to be innovative .Why not release two versions of same movie.May be in different timing on same screen if can`t afford two separate screens .Unrated R and PG13

megabyteme
02-10-2014, 12:42 PM
My only complain why PG13. Ruined all the fun that made first Classic .Hollywood need to be innovative .Why not release two versions of same movie.May be in different timing on same screen if can`t afford two separate screens .Unrated R and PG13

This won't be done because no one would opt to see a censored version, and (more importantly) movie studios LOVE being in control of what we watch.

Bazookum
02-11-2014, 12:29 AM
I refuse to even watch it. Its not like they are gonna ever be able to make a better movie. The movie RoboCop has been made and seen and it will continue to be watched long after this defilement has passed.

Basically, they are just trying to milk an old dried up teet and I'm not gonna encourage such behavior. Ought to be off trying to make original movies. But hey, this certainly doesn't surprise me.

Stehle
02-11-2014, 12:51 AM

... I refuse to even give this new remake a chance if it doesn't have the "I'd buy that for a dollar" creep.

Agreed!

('nuff said.) :alien:

freebird
02-11-2014, 01:18 AM
haven't seen it yet but looks pretty cool.

seewhatyoumiss
02-11-2014, 12:57 PM
One can accuse the new edition that it is far less snappy or hard as the original "RoboCop", but the comparisons to the classics are not really the big problem of Padilhas film. Rather, the fact that this is a fairly interchangeable sci-fi actioner with pale protagonist, partially weak staged shoot-and half-baked drama. The entry into the film is strong, but convince the further course in the first place, only the vicious talk show scenes and the shoot-Vallon in hiding. After all: Better than "RoboCop 3" and the totaly gone wrong "Total Recall" from the year 2012, the remake is already, but that's only a small consolation.

IdolEyes787
02-11-2014, 01:02 PM
haven't seen it yet but looks pretty cool.

Good point.Now go play with some hippos because from pictures they look kinda cute and comical in a non-threatening sort of way.

IdolEyes787
02-12-2014, 10:06 PM
I read the screenplay and apparently the writer of the new one thought it would be a good idea to remove everything that was good about the original movie.

I'm surprised that he was too dim to understand the Christ allegory basically hitting you in the face from the original though.
That and the new robo doesn't have to fight to regain his humanity or doesn't lose his family or anything so trivial.

All that said,if I were in charge of the remake I too would be damn sure that the FX were brilliant so the monkeys in the audience were distracted from how empty and humourless my movie was.

Rart
02-12-2014, 10:23 PM
I think it was pretty clear from practically any trailer that the director had no intention of including any plot in this movie.

I was watching a preview in a movie theater a while back and for about 30 seconds thought it was a really bad ripoff of Iron Man.

Bazookum
02-13-2014, 12:12 AM
And honestly, my respect for Samuel L. Jackson has gone down a notch for associating himself with this.

dvq
02-13-2014, 04:29 AM
They're slowly chipping away at my childhood.

megabyteme
02-13-2014, 04:41 AM
They're slowly chipping away at my childhood.

1. Firmly shout STOP at your perpetrator.
2. Get away from him/them as soon, and safely as possible.
3. Tell an adult you trust about all the "icky" things that had been done/put inside of you.

4. Most importantly, post the most humiliating episodes here. FST will totally keep your secrets. :yup:

Bazookum
02-14-2014, 06:35 PM
At least the people involved in this blasphemy can take solace in the fact that Robo Cop won't even be the worst remake of recent history. Because from what I hear the Old Boy remake is an absolute embarrassment. Of course I don't intend to see for myself in either case.

IdolEyes787
02-14-2014, 06:38 PM
Not that the original was brilliant but the neutering apparently continues with Endless Love.

In the original the guy is institutionalized and later imprisoned but in the remake his biggest challenge is that the girl's father doesn't like him. :mellow:

haggelz
02-16-2014, 06:56 AM
they'll remake anything to make a dollar. hell they even remade spider man into a shit series.

thewongkid
02-20-2014, 02:05 AM
they'll remake anything to make a dollar. hell they even remade spider man into a shit series.

the andrew garfield spiderman is better than tobey maguire spiderman with that slutty kirsten dunst

IdolEyes787
02-20-2014, 02:10 AM
No but I think we have determined your age.

nntpjunkie
02-20-2014, 03:38 AM
\

I have to agree when I look back and think about this movie, the film all around was excellent. This new incarnation is most likely a flashy money maker with the heart and soul of the story ripped out of it, this a new practice that seems to be par for the course for nearly everything that comes from Hollywood these days - Just look at what has happened to the substance in the Star trek franchise since they've let JJ Abrams shit all over they things that made the many Star Trek series stories so rich and a good example for what humans could aspire to be. It's really a shame there just really isn't much real talent these days in the ways of Artistic Creation for films with the exception of the likes of Peter Jackson.

IdolEyes787
02-20-2014, 01:02 PM
Sony but you lost me at Peter Jackson.

No,actually you lost me at "the substance in the Star Trek franchise".

nntpjunkie
02-21-2014, 02:31 AM
Sony but you lost me at Peter Jackson.

No,actually you lost me at "the substance in the Star Trek franchise".

Well I knew I was taking a risk outing myself as a trekie, but thought oh what the hell :-) I am talking the television series not the movies, regardless I doubt this remake will be anywhere near as good as the original.

jondgls
02-22-2014, 07:47 AM
Not sure I want to see this movie, looks good in trailers but reviews are pretty bad. I'd also prefer a bloodier version :P

Stehle
02-22-2014, 03:32 PM
Well I knew I was taking a risk outing myself as a trekie, but thought oh what the hell... :-)

Congrats NJ! I have met many Trekkies and have noticed a deep perspective in the way they view things. I believe that many obtained this observation from viewing the television series in our youth and knowing its true meaning or story besides the obvious action. As far as the latest incarnation of "Robocop" I will take many of the views here including your own and hopefully I will be mildly entertained.

(...and I'd buy that for a dollar!) :alien:

shockker
03-01-2014, 03:04 AM
Looks good and Samuel Jacksin looks kool.

izzykasha
02-05-2015, 03:33 PM
AnotHer original beats the remake........