PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 - System Reserved Partition

forester46
02-09-2014, 12:01 AM
Just upgraded from XP to Win7 x64 Ultimate Black Edition by PrinceNRVL.

Installed Win7 pro on other PC's but always liked the feel of XP myself and stuck with it until my SSD started causing BSOD errors forcing a reformat and reinstall.

Anyway, on my PC i see a new System Reserved Partition as well as the main SSD partition - and it's taking a drive letter "G" that some of my old apps used to use.

My question is - Can i assign a different drive letter to this Reserved Partition or does Windows 7 need this drive to always be seen as "G" for the new install.
I have 7 HDD's installed so have a spare letter or two I can re-assign this partition to, but dont want to risk changing it if it will screw up my new install now that i've reinstalled all my apps and got it working right.

Appreciate advice from those that have ACTUALLY done this, rather than "you should be OK".

Thanks

anon
02-09-2014, 01:22 AM
You can give it no drive letter at all (which is the default for Windows 7), and it'll still work.

forester46
02-09-2014, 05:44 PM
Brilliant - thanks will reallocate now !

Baggervance
02-10-2014, 01:36 PM
Brilliant - thanks will reallocate now !

Just remove the drive letter all together. Its not needed.
Right click my computer > select "manage" > select disk management from the left hand pane > right click on the appropriate drive letter and select " change drive letters and paths" > highlight the drive letter and click remove.
Job done :)

forester46
02-11-2014, 04:31 PM
Thanks for the advice, but I assigned a spare letter "Z" as I dont evisage having 26 drives in the PC.
Something I will remember though going forward !

Baggervance
02-13-2014, 09:40 AM
Ok that'll work.
The partition is only 100MB so hardly any use having it displayed.
It contains windows bootmanager, and encryption keys if you use the likes of Bitlocker.

Not sure whether the system would let you. But if you keep a letter assigned to it, be careful not to format it :)

dakky
02-21-2015, 11:38 PM
I normally set my DVD drive to Z, and let any other disks/partitions take the next available after C... this means no odd situations on drive letter assignments and DVD drive at top away from everything else...