PDA

View Full Version : Basic home audio stuffs (mbm and co.)

Skiz
02-09-2014, 10:46 PM
I've been through 2 analog/digital converters now with less than satisfactory results. Time to move on.

I'm poking around on Craigslist for receivers and speakers again.

How about this for $270? (I'll try to haggle a bit) It's listed at $650 new on Amazon - http://denver.craigslist.org/ele/4322184672.html

As for speakers to go with it, I plucked these off Amazon in like 30 seconds. Simple. Not too tall. Good reviews. :idunno: - http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SSF-5000-Floor-Standing-Speaker/dp/B000OG4E1G/ref=sr_1_3?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1391985708&sr=1-3

megabyteme
02-09-2014, 11:39 PM
Personally, I've never really liked the sound of Yamaha receivers. If I had to describe it, I'd say "flat, non-dynamic, lifeless". If you are looking to piece a system together as budget permits, I strongly recommend a mid-level+ Onkyo receiver and Polk speakers. You can even purchase some of the smaller Polks to begin with, then later use them as your surrounds. You just won't beat the combo for most enjoyment for the dollar. Wait until you've got about $800, then buy the "heart" of your system. Following that, wait for sales (Amazon or Newegg) on the pieces you are going to add.

I am certain Art will express his enjoyment of his Onkyo receiver in almost identical (loving) terms as I do.

Since you are willing to purchase used off CL, consider this: http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR828B-Refurbished-7-2-Channel-Receiver/dp/B00GXG198M/ref=pd_cp_e_1 It is the same receiver Art has, but is refurbished. $599. Comes with a 1-year Onkyo warranty. Even at Amazon's regular price (non-refurbished tab on same page), $857 is worth the money, and you get 2 years of warranty. Unless you happened to get a true lemon, you should be fine with the refurb, IMO.

As I've mentioned, Newegg is the place for Polk speakers. http://www.newegg.com/Polk-Audio-Home-Audio-Speakers/BrandSubCat/ID-12345-494

The M70's are on sale this weekend for $159 each. That's not entirely rare. They do cycle through the different models, though. Remember: the M70's are really big. Make sure you have space for them. The M60's are quite a bit easier to live with, and the difference is mainly in the bass- which can be made up for with an inevitable subwoofer. A pair of the M30's (currently $80/pair) could get you started, then be moved to the surrounds once you budgeted larger mains.

Basically, you are willing to spend ~$400 on a receiver and main speakers you don't know anything about. Double that, and you will have a kick-ass foundation up to the standards of everything else you buy (PC components, etc.)

Artemis
02-10-2014, 12:48 AM
And now a few words from co.......

First up, there is a misconception about refurbished equipment, particularly refurbished electronics, they are actually more rigorously inspected and tested than those rolled on the production lines because the company wants to recover the inherent value and spends the time and effort to make sure the item is fit for the consumer. They get a full stress/burn in test before final release, and have far more careful quality control(unless it is a tacky brand that does not care) this is definitely not the case with Onkyo.

I have to agree with Meg on Yamaha, I have always found them flat and lifeless. Also for a 'premium' brand they often are lacking in features at the price points they are offered. Pioneer or Onkyo offer better value for money at the same price and have a 'warmer' sound with I think personally Onkyo's WRAT technology offering a far more powerful soundstage. That being said Onkyo have a good sound, they struggled for a long time with home theater performance with a major gaff with a whole product line with faulty HDMI ports requiring a product recall and also struggling to get THX certification so I admire the little guy that has come far in Onkyo's case.

The TX-NR828 is actually my second Onkyo, I had an SR-607 for years before and the only real reason for the change was that it was that it was not a network receiver which the 828 is. The SR-607 was a model from after the HDMI problems and had excellent decoding of DTS formats as well, so I really have gone from strength to strength, since there is all that with the 828 plus more power the advanced THX2 features and the network receiver/internet capabilities. I say this because so often you purchase a new model to be disappointed by lost features or a trimming down of some part of the unit, definitely not so here, and I have owned some fairly decent audio equipment over time.

I differ on Polk audio speakers from Meg, but then I am in a different country and they are quite pricey here, bang for your buck there are other alternatives that do a better job, so I will defer to his judgement, although I will say there are other speaker manufacturers than Polk.... I just don't have a clue on pricing in the glorious US of A.

On the subject of the Onkyo though, the TX NR828 is a huge monster of an amp receiver, you cannot put anything directly on top because of a large cooling fan it uses to dissipate heat and if it fell on you it would kill you, and I got my 828 because of an unbelievable price, there are less pricey models (particularly the 727) which still retain most of the features of the 828, but at a lower price point.

megabyteme
02-10-2014, 01:21 AM
I keep beating the drum for Polk because that is what I have been living with in my living room, as well as using for surrounds in my dedicated theater. The sound is quite neutral- enough to pair well with my B&W 802 Matrix 3's and matching center channel, as well as handling dynamic material without flattening out/overpowering. On top of that, Newegg has an unbelievable partnership with Polk that allows them to move A LOT of speakers at outstandingly low prices. The two, Onkyo and Polk make for a great pairing without costing thousands of dollars.

Honestly, there are very few speakers in the price range of the Polk Monitor line (at Newegg's pricing) that do not sound truly cheap.

Skiz
02-10-2014, 04:33 AM
The Monitor 70's seem great, and I was willing to get them for the bargain deal of $125 for the pair on Craigslist (they were sold), but with living in a rental for the next couple of years, I don't need anything that powerful; neighbors and all. Not if I'm going to pay full price too.

Right now I'm leaning toward a pair of the Monitor 45B's (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290269) for $160. Reading around and they appear to be exceptional on their own.

Since you recommended Onkyo as well as Pioneer, I found this earlier for $150 (http://denver.craigslist.org/ele/4320360577.html).

I found an Onkyo SR606 on there as well for cheap but as Art pointed out, lots of folks on Amazon had HDMI issues.

Really don't want to spend $600 on a receiver that will literally only be plugged in to a TV and Bluray player.... and 2 speakers.

Artemis
02-10-2014, 06:25 AM
With the SR-606 HDMI switching could take up to 15 minutes, or just not and leave you with a green and purple tinged input. The whole HDMI input board had to be changed on the affected models which was fine during warranty, now however.....

The Pioneer VX-521 is an older baseline model and although it has a nice sound there are some features that are not there that are important. The first is upscaling, and if you have an iPod there is no native input. These may not be major considerations, but then if you look at a more modern unit and simply go down the range (the VX-521 was a base model) we are comparing that to a modern near top of the range model....not really a fair comparison. There are many of the previous generation Onkyo models on clearance prices and if you want a base model look at the TX-NR414 it is still for sale but being an older model is now cheap. In fact a hurried search came up with this one on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR414-5-1-Channel-Network-Receiver/dp/B0077V88YU . There are bound to be cheaper deals than that.

megabyteme
02-10-2014, 11:24 AM
Right now I'm leaning toward a pair of the Monitor 45B's (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290269) for $160. Reading around and they appear to be exceptional on their own.

You could use Monitor 45's for your entire surround system, and it would be quite nice. There is an equivalent matched center, though.

As for the Pioneer, looks like there are some of the same/similar issues Art mentioned with the SR606 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882117398 . Read the reviews, it looks like people are not only mentioning it being closed out for around $120, but having known HDCP issues, and "suddenly no longer working", and OSD not working through HDMI. (See "Latest Reviews", page 2). At least look up what is being said on Newegg as a possible lead towards greater issues. Some research could be wise here.

There are many of the previous generation Onkyo models on clearance prices and if you want a base model look at the TX-NR414 it is still for sale but being an older model is now cheap. In fact a hurried search came up with this one on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR414-5-1-Channel-Network-Receiver/dp/B0077V88YU . There are bound to be cheaper deals than that.

That may be a very good way to go, but I'd make sure to purchase the closeout directly through Amazon. They are about the only ones who will pay return shipping. On something as heavy as a receiver, it could turn into a risky venture with a net loss, or mean getting stuck with a defective unit...

Skiz
02-10-2014, 05:54 PM
You could use Monitor 45's for your entire surround system, and it would be quite nice. There is an equivalent matched center, though.

Are you referring to the 25C? I did see that one. If so, that one's as much or more than the 2 other speakers combined. :dabs: (edit: I see a bunch of Polk centers)

Not sure where I'd put it either. I picked up a tv stand (see pic below) which has a perfect opening for a center speaker, but the top started bowing in the middle, so (long story, short) I found a free shelf of a matching color and cut it to brace the middle. Works great but the nice gap for a center speaker is now gone.

EDIT: I've been looking at pics of center speakers and I've seen some small shelves that attach to the VESA holes and allow the center channel to perch up top of the TV. Not sure if I'd rather spend $25 on one of those or $25 on a wall mount for the TV...

Skiz
02-11-2014, 03:43 AM
OK, so I think this is what I'm going with.

TV Mount: $26

Polk 45B's: $162

Center channel: CS2 $100

Yamaha RX-V375: $200. I know you guys don't like Yamaha but I think it gives me everything I need. The only thing it's missing is upscaling but my BluRay player does that before it gets to the receiver anyway.

Artemis
02-12-2014, 09:54 AM
I did also notice a ZBox in that pic I take it that is what you use for home theater playback ?

Well actually I went back and checked the specs on the Yamaha and it is HDMI 1.4 (3D) compatible has 1080p upscaling 4 HDMI sources and USB iPod input so you're sweet on all counts except network features and that is only if you a. use DLNA or b. internet radio sources. So to translate in to less geeky terms that's a really nice receiver there.... in terms of the specs anyway.

I personally think that audio equipment far more than computers or other technical equipment is highly subjective because it brings out an emotion, and what I enjoy may be very different to what you enjoy, so in the end as long as you do truly enjoy the new receiver and speakers and they enrich your life then that is all you can ask, and alot of people praise Yamaha for the accuracy of reproduction (clarity).

megabyteme
02-12-2014, 11:59 AM
I think you will be happy with that, skiz. You can either keep adding the 45's all around, or use the 30's for your surrounds*. As inexpensive subs go, I seriously doubt you can beat this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290034 $99 (available regularly on Newegg for that price). I have 2 stacked together. Place it in a corner, dial it in to a natural level, and enjoy the bottom end. Just don't expect to rattle the neighbors' windows...

The speakers are the most important. That receiver should be just fine, honestly. You are certainly headed in the right direction- budget is ultimately a factor, so are needs. Connected to your HTPC, you'll be getting quite a bit more entertainment out of your system. Movies get quite a bit more involving. :w00t::fear::lol::gunsmilie:cry:

*Keep your eyes open for them to go on sale.

Skiz
02-12-2014, 07:10 PM
I did also notice a ZBox in that pic I take it that is what you use for home theater playback ?

Yesirie. It comes with a VESA mount so at my old place I had it attached to the back of the TV out of sight. I have a remote that I use to control everything within XBMC, so no mouse or keyboard needed. In this place, the wifi comes comes from clear across the house and I get a better signal with the ZBox out in the open. In the bedroom I have an older, but better, HTPC. Essentially, it has:

Apex Mini-ITX case (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811154091). Only uses a 90W external PSU attached to the power cable (think laptop brick)
Inside there's a little ZOTAC IONITX-A-U Dual Core 1.6Ghz Mini ITX NVIDIA ION (https://www.google.com/search?q=ZOTAC+IONITX-A-U+Dual+Core+1.6Ghz+Mini+ITX+NVIDIA+ION&espv=210&es_sm=122&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=7sX7UveSEMG9rQHhk4G4BA&ved=0CAsQ_AUoAw&biw=1920&bih=1075) that is easily clocked up to 1.99Ghz in the BIOS. That clock will run any 1080 videos I throw at it. No additional cooling needed.

Well actually I went back and checked the specs on the Yamaha and it is HDMI 1.4 (3D) compatible has 1080p upscaling 4 HDMI sources and USB iPod input so you're sweet on all counts except network features and that is only if you a. use DLNA or b. internet radio sources. So to translate in to less geeky terms that's a really nice receiver there.... in terms of the specs anyway.

I personally think that audio equipment far more than computers or other technical equipment is highly subjective because it brings out an emotion, and what I enjoy may be very different to what you enjoy, so in the end as long as you do truly enjoy the new receiver and speakers and they enrich your life then that is all you can ask, and alot of people praise Yamaha for the accuracy of reproduction (clarity).

Nice. Looking forward to it.

I other news, my TV might need replacing as well. As of last night I can't get a signal to come in. Only every few minutes will a signal and sound pop in for just a fraction of a second - like a flicker. The menus and the controls are very laggy as well. When it rains it pours. :no:

megabyteme
02-12-2014, 09:32 PM
I other news, my TV might need replacing as well.[...] When it rains it pours. :no:

Ouch. I think recommending a television is even more difficult than helping someone decide on stereo equipment. Budget is a big issue, of course. Stores like Walmart carry similar looking models, which are actually lower-level/quality than some of the higher priced, better quality models available in a particular brand's lineup available elsewhere. It gets confusing. It is nearly impossible to remember how clear a picture was on one set, in a different store, with different lighting, with a different source, with different lighting...

Basically, do your homework and do not get fooled by artificially inflated prices (which are then "marked down" for a one-day-only "sale") and slightly different model numbers. It can get irritatingly tricky. Like dealing with shady car salesmen. :ermm:

Skiz
02-12-2014, 09:44 PM
I'll give this TV a few days and see if it doesn't right itself. The only issue is with incoming TV signal. BluRay player and HTPC still display just fine.

I'll be fine picking out a TV if I need to. Plus, I have like a brazillon credit card points. :01:

Artemis
02-13-2014, 04:12 AM
Sorry to hear about your woes with your TV, I can commiserate on that score having come home last year after being away for a week to find a lovely impact mark in my plasma TV. It is truly amazing how large and round children's eyes get when trying to explain it wasn't them..... My wife had no idea but the TV deteriorated over the next few days and finally ate itself.

May I compliment you on your excellent taste in Zotac equipment though. I happen to have the identical IonITX A-U board wrapped up in this:

http://i.imgur.com/fzyokaA.jpg

Silverstone ML03 ITX/DTX Home Theater case

IdolEyes787
02-13-2014, 01:08 PM
Impressive,Art.Especially considering that you hail from a Third World country,

I'm assuming that you hold a status of no less than minor warlord to be able to have access to that kind of high-end stuff.

Also knowing what I do of the South Pacific,especially impressive considering all that was likely made from salvage off of one of Captain Cook's ships.
But then you heathens have proven yourselves to be a crafty lot.

Skiz
02-13-2014, 05:31 PM
Sorry to hear about your woes with your TV, I can commiserate on that score having come home last year after being away for a week to find a lovely impact mark in my plasma TV. It is truly amazing how large and round children's eyes get when trying to explain it wasn't them..... My wife had no idea but the TV deteriorated over the next few days and finally ate itself.

May I compliment you on your excellent taste in Zotac equipment though. I happen to have the identical IonITX A-U board wrapped up in this:

pic

Silverstone ML03 ITX/DTX Home Theater case

Couldn't get anything to fix the TV. Then I tried unplugging it for a while. That seems to have reset whatever the problem was. All's well now. :idunno:

Ah, well you know the pleasure of that board then. Oldie but goodie. I've had it 4 years and still love it. Yours looks nice. What's the box up top do? Here's mine in the bedroom supporting a 37" Vizio LED.

http://i.imgur.com/t1mbyqf.jpg

Skiz
02-15-2014, 06:26 PM
Got the receiver, center speaker, and shelf to put it on top of the TV. (gotta love amazon prime) Have to wait another few days to receive 45Bs from Newegg.

I put the shelf above the tv along with the center channel. I didn't like the look of it. The center channel is a bit larger than I had envisioned and having it perched out in front of the TV looked... bad. I'm returning that to Amazon and instead, I've purchased a wall mount for the tv, which will in turn leave a place for the center speaker on the tv stand. Gonna wait until I have everything to plug any of the speakers in and give it a listen.

megabyteme
02-15-2014, 10:33 PM
That Polk sub will be $79 for the next couple days on Newegg. Will fill out the bottom end of the 45s nicely. :naughty:

Artemis
02-15-2014, 11:54 PM
Impressive,Art.Especially considering that you hail from a Third World country,

I'm assuming that you hold a status of no less than minor warlord to be able to have access to that kind of high-end stuff.

Also knowing what I do of the South Pacific,especially impressive considering all that was likely made from salvage off of one of Captain Cook's ships.
But then you heathens have proven yourselves to be a crafty lot.

Actually ships get wrecked here once in a while and I was able to fashion my home equipment from hull plates from the wreck of the M.V. Rena ( which is still causing a huge environmental problem).

I'm not a warlord, but I am one of the few settlers with a flintlock....

On a more serious note the rest of the bedroom system though is a Logitech Z-5400 for the audio (that is the controller on top) and a 32" LCD

Skiz
02-16-2014, 08:31 PM
That Polk sub will be $79 for the next couple days on Newegg. Will fill out the bottom end of the 45s nicely. :naughty:

I did buy that actually, but I bought it on Amazon for $2 more with Prime 2-day shipping included. Newegg wanted $68 for 2-day shipping. It's hardly any wonder I don't shop there much anymore unless I really need to.

As for connecting it, am I right in that the "Subwoofer Pre-out" should connect to the sub with just the red portion of the RCA cable?

megabyteme
02-16-2014, 10:57 PM
Very cool. As long as you don't have it overpowered, I think it has a nicer sound than any sub I've heard under $300. It isn't meant to "punch" like a car sub, but meant to strengthen the lower end, and do what smaller speakers cannot- even adds more than a lot of larger speakers because of its dedicated amplification. At $81 (Amazon is my go-to store, but I did not think to look there this time :doh: ), you made a good buy.

Let me know when the Newegg items arrive. I'm interested to see what you think of it all. :)

Skiz
02-19-2014, 12:44 AM
Took me a bout an hour to set everything up and hang the TV. Sounds great.

I would have preferred the left and right speakers be on the floor but I'm a little worried the g/f's 2 cats may see them as scratching posts.

http://i.imgur.com/rEEXyYQ.jpg

megabyteme
02-19-2014, 01:57 AM
Nicely done. :)

As for the speaker placement, unless you purchased some stands for them, they will sound quite a bit better off the floor. you might even notice some benefit if you were to tip them (with spikes, or something) so that the tweeters were aimed more directly towards the primary listening position. As they are, looks great.

Judging from the pic, those M70s would have been quite large in there.

Skiz
02-19-2014, 02:53 AM
Thanks.

The M70's were only about 2" taller than my previous speakers, but they were about twice the depth.

Skiz
02-20-2014, 10:28 PM
Any ideas on how to get the tv to play through the speakers when wanted? I don't have cable tv since I have access to everything already, so no cable box; just an HD antenna. I have one HDMI running from the receiver OUT to the tv which feeds video from the PC and BluRay, so I though if I added another FROM the tv INTO the receiver, that might work. Nope.

Also, not real happy with the sub. The sound is fine but the "Auto" setting on the back doesn't appear to function properly. It's supposed to kick the sub on when it detects something is playing, and turn it off after 15 of nothing playing. It doesn't appear to kick on when it's supposed to tho. I don't like leaving it on either as there's clearly audible hum that comes from it. :dabs:

megabyteme
02-20-2014, 10:37 PM
I am on my way to a meeting, so I do not have time to give a complete answer. I suspect the sound coming from the sub is a "ground loop hum" which can be a HUGE pain to eliminate. My subs are quite silent, so I doubt it is anything inherent to the product itself.

Adjusting the gain may help the sub kick on, as it is "looking" for a substantial enough signal before turning on.

The television OUT can be a function of your internal menu. What model is it exactly. I'll look at the manual when I get back.

Skiz
02-21-2014, 12:45 AM
None of the reading I did online gave me a fix for the sub, but I think I've found one on my own. In the Yamaha speaker settings there is an option for "large" and "small" for the front speakers. Changing it to small seems to have switched some of the priority to the sub.

megabyteme
02-21-2014, 06:41 AM
Are you still getting that hum/buzz/whatever from the sub? Sometimes this can be fixed by plugging the sub into an outlet not on the same circuit (breaker) as the rest of the system. Other fixes can get quite elaborate. There are threads-a-plenty where knowledgeable people try to track down and eliminate the problem. The more equipment you have, the more likely it is you will get a ground loop hum.

Skiz
01-16-2016, 02:23 AM
Now that we've bought another house I was thinking of buying those Polk Monitor 70's. Should I keep any of this other stuff or sell it? :unsure:

2 x Polk 45B's
1 x Polk PSW10 sub
1 x Polk CS2 Series II center channel

shaina
01-16-2016, 03:17 AM
None of the reading I did online gave me a fix for the sub, but I think I've found one on my own. In the Yamaha speaker settings there is an option for "large" and "small" for the front speakers. Changing it to small seems to have switched some of the priority to the sub.

Did you try a different composite sub wire connection?? I bought a fancier y cable and composite(rca) wire as well:idunno:
All of my amps also have a ground connection so i did that as well, plus the volume level of the sub could be too high and it is distorting??
I am really not fond of Yamaha amps (highest refurbs usually), so i am not really familiar with there setups or there real channel distribution, but i always test sound levels with Pink Floyds the Wall album and put the Intro to the Wall song on and adjust accordingly, but my experience i have blown alot of center channels playing and testing with it to find the center channel i prefered:D

PS.. the large setting is for L&R front speakers that can handle bass load, and will take stress off your sub woofer, or if you are using better speakers and lousy sub that is a better setting, but if you are using a good sub reverse that, again my opinion with a sub being non directional sound, is better for boom affects in a room;)
Good luck Skiz:D

Now that we've bought another house I was thinking of buying those Polk Monitor 70's. Should I keep any of this other stuff or sell it? :unsure:
2 x Polk 45B's
1 x Polk PSW10 sub
1 x Polk CS2 Series II center channel

I would check out AVS forums and read between the lines on the information... There is usually some good feedback on all different equipment there..
Or if you have some fancy stereo shops in your neighborhood (not best buys or big box stores), i would check them out just for shits and giggles:D
And to be honest i think sound is what your ears like:yup:, there is so much equipment and stuff on the market today it is really what you think sounds good and go from there...Depending what you are looking for in a sound can vary what you buy or like, plus what size room you have and if you want to wake the neighbors at night:D..
Again Good luck Skiz..
PS. if you liked what you had before(nothing blown!!) you could always put it in a different room, and have another surround setup:D, sometimes selling stuff and getting shit for it, and then having to replace it again for another room is not always smart:idunno:, especially with speakers you have found that you like the sound quality....

megabyteme
01-16-2016, 05:39 AM
I think you should be quite happy keeping what you've got, move the 45B's to the rear channels, and get those 70/75's. The center channel should be quite compatible soundwise to the new fronts.

The subwoofer would still be fine, its bass output would not be as necessary once the 70/75's were in your system.

Refresh my memory- what did you end up with for a receiver? How big is your new room? Were you using rear channel speakers before?

Personally, I would hang on to all of those speakers even if you decided to upgrade to an entirely new system (not necessary since you have good, matching speakers). I find it is nice to move smaller, good speakers to new 'projects'. Nothing lacking in them, TBH.

Depending on the size of room, your next step after the 70/75's could be a larger subwoofer- just for kickass WOW factor. Not necessary.

EDIT- just to clarify, the 70/75's will produce more bass in the low end than the 45's. You may not notice the sub you have as much. Still, you'd want to have a sub for low end rumble. Live with the one you've got for now with the 70/75's and see if you want more. Bigger rooms will need more bass.

shaina
01-16-2016, 05:44 AM
I think you should be quite happy keeping what you've got, move the 45B's to the rear channels, and get those 70/75's. The center channel should be quite compatible soundwise to the new fronts.
The subwoofer would still be fine, its bass output would not be as necessary once the 70/75's were in your system.
Refresh my memory- what did you end up with for a receiver? How big is your new room? Were you using rear channel speakers before?
Personally, I would hang on to all of those speakers even if you decided to upgrade to an entirely new system (not necessary since you have good, matching speakers). I find it is nice to move smaller, good speakers to new 'projects'. Nothing lacking in them, TBH.
Depending on the size of room, your next step after the 70/75's could be a larger subwoofer- just for kickass WOW factor. Not necessary.

Is there an echo in this forum??:whistling

Would you agree that the center channel is the most important??

That is for Video purposes... A lot of my friends still prefer 2 channel for sound quality listening :D
Explains why a good separate channel amp today is important:yup:

PS.. actually reading his posts if did see Yamaha mentioned in one of them:idunno:

megabyteme
01-16-2016, 06:00 AM
We kind of planned this transition. The center has the same size drivers (maybe even the same drivers) as what he's looking to add. You can't do much better than that. The center just needs to match the mains in tone and ability to output. That is what is important.

2-channel is great for listening to music mixed to be played on 2-channel speakers. With a good quality receiver (I prefer mid-level or better Onkyo), I see no real need for separates unless a guy really wants to spend his time and money in stereo shops.

shaina
01-16-2016, 06:14 AM
We kind of planned this transition. The center has the same size drivers (maybe even the same drivers) as what he's looking to add. You can't do much better than that. The center just needs to match the mains in tone and ability to output. That is what is important.
2-channel is great for listening to music mixed to be played on 2-channel speakers. With a good quality receiver (I prefer mid-level or better Onkyo), I see no real need for separates unless a guy really wants to spend his time and money in stereo shops.

I agree with everything you say!!:D
And until you set up what you have in your new house(what i did:)), you may not need anything at all....
That was almost a trick question , but i like to kill time every once and a while and see what is new out there in the more exclusive stereo shops, that's all..
And i don't understand how they could have the same drivers?? Different models are they not??
To me that would change the characteristics of the voice/sound, and depending on what levels you listen that would make a difference would it not??
Hens center channel is the main speaker you should have to your liking when you talk audio/video watching:D(and i have blown a few on my listening level!!)
But the humming or feedback from the sub woofer is still a question to answer ??:idunno:
PS. I am not talking multiple pre amps... I meant a better quality Audio/video amp with true channels and no bleeding(if that makes sense on paper) Yamaha would not be first on my list:idunno:

megabyteme
01-16-2016, 06:30 AM
Those drivers could very well be the same. Polk has a very neutral sound, and this line is a massively sold, good-quality, very modest price product. In order to make that possible, they need to have good quality, matched drivers across the entire line. And sell a quintillion of them. They do.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I m using Polks as surrounds on sides and rears (7.2 setup) to match with my B&W 802 Matrix 3's and matching center (800-series Matrix HTM). They are neutral enough to pull this off. I have ZERO doubt his existing Polks will match his new ones.

shaina
01-16-2016, 06:45 AM
Those drivers could very well be the same. Polk has a very neutral sound, and this line is a massively sold, good-quality, very modest price product. In order to make that possible, they need to have good quality, matched drivers across the entire line. And sell a quintillion of them. They do.
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I m using Polks as surrounds on sides and rears (7.2 setup) to match with my B&W 802 Matrix 3's and matching center (800-series Matrix HTM). They are neutral enough to pull this off. I have ZERO doubt his existing Polks will match his new ones.

Maybe i am misunderstanding what you are saying?? When you say matching?? are you saying they will preform well together??(running 2 subs are we!!)
But what i am saying is if you go up models on speakers, no matter what manufacturer, there is going to be changes, be it lower level or higher level sound quality??
Or what would be the purpose to change models?? Again with a better amp you will see the difference, especially if the amp can push/drive the speakers..
Does that make sense??
And it is funny i am running 7.1 in a few rooms in my house, and without Disney movies what else is there LOL!!!
To me alot of times 5.1-2 is plenty to enjoy a movie, and 6.1(dumb to hear voice behind you!!) and 7.1 is overkill...
Because i am a dinosaur still i have glanced at Atmos and some of the other new ways of broadcasting but i ask myself if my ears will really notice:unsure:

PS. I should add i have used the beginning of the Blade movie to test speakers:D, I love the neighbors to listen to the rave song :D

And you are a perfect example... You have some vintage speakers in your setup (i would never get rid of those if i were you!!), it all is based on the sound you are looking for:D, like comparing old JBL's and new ones:noes:

megabyteme
01-16-2016, 09:55 AM
I truly love my B&W's.

When I say 'matching', I mean that the Polks are quite suitable tonally to be used in my system. It took A LOT of listening, but I am pleased with the result- and they were reasonable considering I needed 4 for sides and rears.

The Polks that Skiz will be matching really are from the same line. No big stretch to believe they will pair nicely, if not perfectly.

shaina
01-16-2016, 11:39 AM
I truly love my B&W's.

When I say 'matching', I mean that the Polks are quite suitable tonally to be used in my system. It took A LOT of listening, but I am pleased with the result- and they were reasonable considering I needed 4 for sides and rears.

The Polks that Skiz will be matching really are from the same line. No big stretch to believe they will pair nicely, if not perfectly.

Got it :huh:

megabyteme
01-16-2016, 06:54 PM
What is the :huh: part of that, shay?

shaina
01-17-2016, 04:34 AM
What is the :huh: part of that, shay?

Well... In my opinion sound is what your ears hear, and everyone likes what they like...
You say that they work well together, that is great:D , and you have the equipment to drive speakers properly:D
Until i have it set up in my room, i would have to wait and see how it sounds for myself:D before i would say they work well together :idunno:
Speakers could be great!!!But What is driving them is a POS!!?? Or What he is going to broadcast could make a difference in sound??
Everything has a better chance to sound good in a sound proof room or theater built room, making something sound great in a room that you use every day is a much bigger task!!:)

That is what i mean, and it is not worth debating over because no one is right or wrong. In the end you have to live with what you have :D
Goes back to saying asking questions like that are loaded and hard to answer :idunno:

I can tell you i have looked at the Atmos systems(9.2.2 :yikes:)..... Good thing i am poor right now after my trip:whistling, but i think the wife would say it is loud and good enough what i have anyways:cry:(sad to say it is not my penis waking her up at night in bed:cry:):noes:
Really.... what do broads know??:D

Meg...
Just to go off topic for a second....
It is that debate that taking a true BD rip of 30-70gigs and reducing/muxing it to 1-10gigs and saying that it is the same, and really no difference in sound or picture???
I am still trying to figure that one out:unsure:
All i know is if i really like the movie i will download and stream/install it in the true BD rip..(no WiFi all wired in my house:D and i don't do it that often), and there is a huge difference in sound and picture (day and night!!)that i can see, but how many people have the sound and video equipment to notice??
Try explaining to someone when the cable company is saying they are broadcasting in 1080p it is not even close to that??
The next question is... Who really cares??:idunno: Well... At times i do..
Do you?? Do most people?? More loaded questions right??

megabyteme
01-17-2016, 08:42 AM
You'd be pleasantly surprised how seamlessly the speakers mesh together. In the isolation of my dedicated room, everything is quite involving. Only when it gets shut off do you realize how much your attention was focused on the movie.

I easily spent several hundred hours looking into various bi-pole, di-pole, and regular speakers for my system, which at the time was based on a Lexicon DC-1. It was the only system utilizing 7 discreet channels at the time. Nobody, including Lexicon really knew what was the best way to make use of the sides speakers, yet alone make sides and rears work together. I auditioned an INSANE number of options.

Ultimately, I decided on these things:

-REAL movie theaters use regular speakers for their sides and rear channels

-The ability for a speaker to produce a neutral, yet dynamic range was the most important characteristic

-The goal is to envelop the listener without drawing attention to the speakers

-The tweeters needed to be mounted ABOVE the listener by 2-3 feet to eliminate most of the discernable directionality (should be diffuse, not locatable)

-There was no reason to spend $2000+ on 4 speakers that match EXACTLY since we perceive sound differently as it travels around our head (rub/snap fingers and move them from front to side to behind your head and tell me that sound is the same- it is definitely not...)

-Speakers that are too small are pathetic for this task; speakers that produce full-range are not necessary because bass should already be filling the room from sub

-All of these points were confirmed after I took the plunge and tried fairly cheap speakers. Sound improved once I upgraded to the Polks. I find no need to upgrade the sides and rears.

-Placement and setup volumes are nearly as important as the side and rear speakers themselves.

-----------------------------------------------------

To answer your off-topic question, Shay, I believe that a great movie can be watched on a 13" Black and White set from the 1970's with a single 4", mono speaker and still accomplish its effect.

I rarely download anything over 4GB, but I feel that is about the point of diminishing returns- even on a 102" screen, with a dedicated theater setup. Beyond that, I doubt many people would be able to score a perfect 10/10 blind comparison test performed at random, with volume and brightness level matching.

A considerable amount of the 50GB+ file size is there to combat easy piracy and distribution. Placebo effect is also quite real.

shaina
01-17-2016, 09:54 AM
Lets go through a few things... But mostly i agree with you:D

-"REAL movie theaters use regular speakers for their sides and rear channels"
Start reading a little more on that Meg.... Atmos theatres are far from normal speakers now:yup:

And all of this sounds great for a sound proof room or a dedicated theaters in your basement, but try doing that in a bedroom or a true family room in your house, That is a whole different ballgame :D

As for your logic on Blu-rays and protection??
You are kind of off on your assumption that the protection takes up that much space, If you say that on a game console burnt game i would agree with you...
But when it comes to Blu-ray movies, the only thing added is a small file in the sound.. That is it!! And when you mux it you are degrading the sound file more than the Picture itself. The audio file is quite large on a Blu-ray for the reasons of true channel separation, and with a better quality sound system it is noticeable big time:yup:
Again you could take Bose speakers and there shitty non powered sub-woofer and put it in a sound proof or theater room and they sound great!!!
Put them in a bedroom or a normal room and they are not even close to the same sound....

And again that goes to what you are looking for be it quality at low levels or high levels or both...
My wife's cousin use to own a car stereo stores and mainly went after insurance claims..
To make a long story short.... He had a theater room in his basement when nobody did, and he had state of the art sony gold series amps pre amps , you name it...All in a specially built room with racks on racks of equipment, the walls were just wires in them and turned into speakers for the sides(all state of the art!!)...
He had custom foot ottomans with foot controls that were all sub-woofers, and everything was all remote, be it lighting, to screens , the whole nine yards...
I went a few times and was in heaven!!! A few years later it was collecting dust!!!(and the fucker paid nothing for any of it all given for free!!!), his kids never went downstairs either....
To me personally home theater rooms are great, but sitting in a basement no matter how fancy it is, not my cup of tea and too far from the kitchen!!
So i had to build and make my family room and bedroom my home theater rooms (have a fifth bedroom with cheaper surround in it:D)
If Skiz is reading and not responding to any of this:idunno:
You can have lots of equipment and projectors and plasmas and UHD tvs, it is all the preference that you want and are going to use and enjoy:D
That is why i could never tell a person..Ya that will work together or ya those speakers will be good???
All i could say is, if i was asked what i have and do i like it?? And i would say yes. But it doesn't mean you are going to like the sound or picture right...
If he lived close and asked me to help wire it or help him with the setup?? no problem!!

I can tell you i bought most of my equipment and tv's from a friend that had a small stereo store and he custom built all the homes and cottages for the owners of Blackberry, and they were very happy and the sky was the limit!!!!
And out of recommendation i bought one of those color Pronto remotes that cost me $1,000.00(really just under with the charging stand:whistling) that is now in my basement collecting dust, and if i wanted i could go buy one of those Logitech's or harmony for $99 and it would have been just as good or better for me...
But say la vi right....

As for watching a great movie on a small screen and basic sound?? I agree with you 100%!!! , but since i do have the privilege of having a bigger tv and a half descent surround setup... What the hell right:D

Skiz
01-18-2016, 06:49 AM

I hadn't really considered that but it sounds like a good idea. I think I'll hold off then on buying some of that until I'm ready to do it all at once. I'm looking to swap out the 46" tv that I have right now with a new 60" and buy the Monitor 70's at the same time. (new monitor has set me back quite a bit :pinch:)

Receiver is a Yamaha RX-V375 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B981F38)

The new living room area is a rectangular basement room right at 30' x 12' and we'll be watching the tv from about 9-10 ft away across the short side.

No rear channel before. It was solely running on the speakers I mentioned before: 2 fronts, center, sub.

shaina
01-18-2016, 01:17 PM

I hadn't really considered that but it sounds like a good idea. I think I'll hold off then on buying some of that until I'm ready to do it all at once. I'm looking to swap out the 46" tv that I have right now with a new 60" and buy the Monitor 70's at the same time. (new monitor has set me back quite a bit :pinch:)
The new living room area is a rectangular basement room right at 30' x 12' and we'll be watching the tv from about 9-10 ft away across the short side.
No rear channel before. It was solely running on the speakers I mentioned before: 2 fronts, center, sub.

May i ask why you never connected rear speakers??

Reason being, the rear speakers didn't have to be the greatest , but it would have taken the void out of the sound effects. Saying that, any reasonable speakers you had lying around would have sufficed for rears at the time:D
Plus some amps will give an error or just won't switch into Digital modes because it is not reading connections of the proper amount of speakers connected..(Will sit in a fake/mock Pro Logic mode and put void sound through speakers not intended for the sound effect:cry:)..
Some people that can't wire them because of the obstructions in the room, so they just use wireless rear setup so the Amp recognizes the proper connections:D and uses the proper channel switching needed for the sound....
Just some suggestions Skiz......

Skiz
01-18-2016, 06:55 PM

May i ask why you never connected rear speakers??

Reason being, the rear speakers didn't have to be the greatest , but it would have taken the void out of the sound effects. Saying that, any reasonable speakers you had lying around would have sufficed for rears at the time:D
Plus some amps will give an error or just won't switch into Digital modes because it is not reading connections of the proper amount of speakers connected..(Will sit in a fake/mock Pro Logic mode and put void sound through speakers not intended for the sound effect:cry:)..
Some people that can't wire them because of the obstructions in the room, so they just use wireless rear setup so the Amp recognizes the proper connections:D and uses the proper channel switching needed for the sound....
Just some suggestions Skiz......

Multiple reasons. 1) I'm not sure that I care about surround sound, even now. 2) It was a rental house and the living room was small and didn't really have a proper setup for surround. 3) Again, being a rental, I didn't want to buy any major purchases for that house and then have buyers remorse if I wanted something different in a new house a year later.

No void in sound effects. I went through the receiver setup and pointed everything to the speakers I had connected.

megabyteme
01-18-2016, 07:56 PM
A solid, seamless wall of sound is the most important. Setup properly, the rears (and sides) can add extra dimension and immersion. Done poorly, it is irritating. :)

shaina
01-18-2016, 08:17 PM
A solid, seamless wall of sound is the most important. Setup properly, the rears (and sides) can add extra dimension and immersion. Done poorly, it is irritating. :)

To a point.... As rears are sound effects not voice...(remember he has 5.1 amp not 7.1... hens no sides needed at this point in time), but having no rears is better regardless if they are just medium level speakers ??? Having a void in sound or having the sound reverted to other channels is worse in my opinion ...
Spending large amounts of money on rear speakers in not necessary.... But having none, you might as well just buy a sound bar:)
What ever you think ....
You are the Guru Pitka:D
Good luck Meg...

[QUOTE=shaina;3779479]Multiple reasons. 1) I'm not sure that I care about surround sound, even now. 2) It was a rental house and the living room was small and didn't really have a proper setup for surround. 3) Again, being a rental, I didn't want to buy any major purchases for that house and then have buyers remorse if I wanted something different in a new house a year later.
No void in sound effects. I went through the receiver setup and pointed everything to the speakers I had connected.

Reverting sound/channels is the same as a void, meaning the effect is not broadcasted in the room where it is supposed to be, changing settings on the amp is not going to change that...Up to you...
As for not making any big purchases for the rental was really smart Skiz:yup:...Room settings may change what you really want in the end:D
But it still makes no sense why you didn't at least buy reasonable bookshelf speakers for the rear?? The comment i said before, you may want all new stuff for the man cave, and you could have used the equipment you have now in a different room...
And a size of a room means nothing when it comes to surround sound, you build the sound for the room regardless what room it is...
And if you say you are not that interested ?? Why ask?? I guess the answer to that may be the excitement of the new house and all:D

I think you are in good hands With Meg...
Congrats on the new home:yahoo:

megabyteme
01-18-2016, 10:19 PM
Skiz is actually quite smart with his purchases. Never seen him just waste money- even the speakers he was/is considering selling he'd get half his money back out.

I say just move those former fronts to the rears, add the 70/75's and enjoy. Nothing wasted; nice system built.

Skiz
01-18-2016, 10:40 PM
But it still makes no sense why you didn't at least buy reasonable bookshelf speakers for the rear?? The comment i said before, you may want all new stuff for the man cave, and you could have used the equipment you have now in a different room...
And a size of a room means nothing when it comes to surround sound, you build the sound for the room regardless what room it is...
And if you say you are not that interested ?? Why ask??

You don't listen very well do you? :pinch:

Yes, I suppose that if I really wanted to I could have put in rear speakers. I could have run some wiring up a 15 ft wall to the top of a vaulted ceiling, across the living room, and split to two speakers. I could have put in bug ugly brackets to hang rear speakers from that would have been suspended in a really odd place and looked stupid as fk all for some rear sound effects for the half dozen movies I watched in that room over 3 years. It was a small, temporary rental place and we had no place for side tables or stands. Trust me, there was no place for them without it looking awful. Plus, the missus would have had none of that shit on the ceiling.

And I didn't ask. I said I was considering getting the Monitor 70's and selling the rest to get back to a 2.0 system.

megabyteme
01-18-2016, 10:43 PM
I guess I even missed the part about going to 2-channel. You'll have a nice working set of Polks, if you change your mind...

What is your new room like?

Skiz
01-18-2016, 11:00 PM

^^^^

I guess I even missed the part about going to 2-channel. You'll have a nice working set of Polks, if you change your mind...

What is your new room like?

It might have been a bit ambiguous but going back to 2 speakers was what I meant in this post. (http://filesharingtalk.com/threads/455699-Basic-home-audio-stuffs-(mbm-and-co-)/page3?p=3779287&viewfull=1#post3779287)

megabyteme
01-18-2016, 11:11 PM
30' X 12' is a substantial room. Would work nicely as a theater, but if cables are a deciding factor, I'd still keep your sub and center channel for movies. Those 45's would be suitable in any room that you want nice sound in. Some receivers are even setup to switch to another room (for parties, while reading a book, cleaning, whatever). Cables can be hidden fairly well along carpet/trim.

Of course, this is all your personal choice. I would keep those 45's simply because you'll have a really nice set. Might even decide to sell everything at some point. Matched sets are a plus for that- most people do want home theaters.

shaina
01-18-2016, 11:13 PM
Skiz is actually quite smart with his purchases. Never seen him just waste money- even the speakers he was/is considering selling he'd get half his money back out.
I say just move those former fronts to the rears, add the 70/75's and enjoy. Nothing wasted; nice system built.

I don't resell things i buy , so when you say someone will give him half his money back for speakers, i wish him all the best.
And it was never a question on intelligence of buying something?? More of a common sense thing that when you buy a surround amplifier on the assumption you want surround, your initial purchase would start with 2 fronts, center channel , and 2 rears, the sub is a bonus.. To me that makes sense???
I myself move stuff around in my house because i am happy with my purchases:D
Example... If i choose to buy a new amp for my family room(usually has the best i purchase there) , the one i have in there, i replace it in another room..
Why you ask??
Because if i do sell something(The prices you say you can get, ain't happening here!!!and to have people calling and busting my chops, just not worth it), i can use the equipment to up-scale somewhere else in the house, and that works for electronics, as for speakers ?? That can't happen:cry:, Your talk is based on building a home theater rooms... That is not what i do, I take the room that i actually use every day and design that to have optimal sound, again big difference!!!
So as i said Tower speakers will not work in my bedroom, but if i want to use them in another room great if not basement bound they go:D for if i spend thousands of dollars on speakers and someone offers me pennies?? I will let them rot before i sell them (especially if they are mint still)..

As for your advice to Skiz...I don't see a problem with your advice , he didn't purchase a surround setup in the first place. So there is no waste ...

PS. Good luck on explaining wires and cables :D

Regards
Shay

Skiz
01-18-2016, 11:36 PM
So I think I've tentatively decided on the basics of what I'll do. At some point here in the coming months I'll get the 60" TV and Monitor 70's. I'll connect everything but the rears. I'll see how it all sounds and stick with that for a bit. Speakers will look weird on the basement ceiling seeing as they're under 7 ft high. I'd prob need to find some stands.

New monitor just arrived. Gotta go play w that. :)

shaina
01-18-2016, 11:41 PM
And if you say you are not that interested ?? Why ask??

You don't listen very well do you? :pinch:

Yes, I suppose that if I really wanted to I could have put in rear speakers. I could have run some wiring up a 15 ft wall to the top of a vaulted ceiling, across the living room, and split to two speakers. I could have put in bug ugly brackets to hang rear speakers from that would have been suspended in a really odd place and looked stupid as fk all for some rear sound effects for the half dozen movies I watched in that room over 3 years. It was a small, temporary rental place and we had no place for side tables or stands. Trust me, there was no place for them without it looking awful. Plus, the missus would have had none of that shit on the ceiling.
And I didn't ask. I said I was considering getting the Monitor 70's and selling the rest to get back to a 2.0 system.

Out of all of your post, where did you mention you want to go back to a single channel system???

You don't explain very well is the better answer...
Getting that out of the way ....
Your purchase was a surround sound amp and 2 front speakers , a center, and sub-woofer!!
Did you buy it at Costco or a Grocery store??
I assume you went into a stereo store and talked to a salesman and he asked you about the room you were putting the half surround system in right??
My point was if you read my post, you could have purchased rear satellite speakers (wireless!!!!) and stands to complete the proper setup...
And by Megs explanation you are crafty or have connections to sell middle line equipment and get good money back:rolleyes: or even better you could have put 2 screws in the wall behind you and hung up 2 satellite speakers as well, or you could buy a wireless modulator to run the rears of your choice.....Simple and Done!!!

If you went even to a Bestbuy to purchase, Even the young dummies that work there know that....

So before you say i Don't listen ??? Say you were thinking of going back to a single channel system!!!

Enjoy your new home Skiz:D
And do what the fuck you want!!!

megabyteme
01-19-2016, 01:37 AM
Geesh, Shay. Not sure what has set you off. Skiz was simply asking me to revisit his stereo system since he's moved into his new house. The advice I gave was quite simple. How about we start a new audio thread and we can talk about non-Skiz stereo there. I'll discuss any aspect you'd like.

Very little of what you've said has any interest to Skiz...

I'd like to learn more about that new surround sound you kids are listening to these days. Back in my day, we had Prologic, and we were grateful...

@Skiz, do you know where your couch, furniture, and television are going to be setup (they might already be)? Pics would help me get an idea of what might work best for a future surround system, if you want to send those to me privately.

shaina
01-19-2016, 02:24 AM
I'd like to learn more about that new surround sound you kids are listening to these days. Back in my day, we had Prologic, and we were grateful.

Now you are gonna become an interior designer/decorator :lol: :thumbsup:

Is it an American thing to call Basements, Living Rooms?? I heard of Rec/Recreation rooms in basements?? I thought Living Rooms are on the main floor to have conversations with friends?(to me a useless fucking room with no TV in it:whistling), Is the laundry room where you tinkle??

He can't even use the pro logic setting properly on his setup anyways:D
And what is 2.0?? Two speaker setup is Mono in the prehistoric days(or single channel mock stereo:lol:) , is the new 2.0 new sound technology or something??

There is nothing to talk about anymore I am all surround sound out!!!! Lets talk Atmos:lol:

And as i remember i am a little older than you :01:...

Good luck Martha Stewart:D

shaina
01-19-2016, 03:22 AM
Interesting living/family room setup:D Welcome to the Atmos World:yikes:
But the decorating needs the Martha Stewart touch:D
And i wonder when you turn the volume up, does it make your nipples hard:whistling

I think these are just your basic speakers :noes:

Skiz
01-19-2016, 07:03 AM
@Skiz, do you know where your couch, furniture, and television are going to be setup (they might already be)? Pics would help me get an idea of what might work best for a future surround system, if you want to send those to me privately.

Basement pics here - http://imgur.com/a/Avh9J

Just finished painting and still getting things moved around, but this is the basic layout of the couches and TV area. That's a 46" in the current pic. The new TV will be a 60" and mounted on the wall. I'm thinking the Polk M70's can slide right in on the left and right sides. The center channel can sit on the middle of the stand/entertainment center thing, and eventually maybe the rears can go on stands? I'm having a tough time picturing the rear speakers looking good tho so not sure yet if I really want that.

Keep in mind that the ceilings are only about 7 feet high down there at the very most. I'll measure tomorrow when I get a sec, but just thinking out loud, the 45B's are 16" tall. If they were ceiling mounted, they wouldn't even leave enough space to walk under them and would generally just block your vision of the full room when you went downstairs. If I decide to use them, I'm thinking really short stands would be the way to go? Thoughts? It may not be optimal but whatev. What do you think about....2 ft tall stands near the couch...24" + 16" puts the top of it at 40", so a bit higher than the back of the couch. :idunno:

Gribley
01-19-2016, 10:27 AM
Basement pics here - http://imgur.com/a/Avh9J (http://filesharingtalk.com/external/?http://imgur.com/a/Avh9J)
Damn. Wish I had that kind of space but would have to lose the cat regardless.... I too am from a prologic (meg) world so therefore far out of date (who need 5:1 really). Them ears don`t work so well when old anyway but sure your man cave will work out sweet :)

megabyteme
01-19-2016, 05:29 PM
Prologic was actually a very clever, early system. It used two channels for the main speakers, then took everything that was common to both channels and sent that to the center channel. Surround information was derived from an out-of-phase track in the audio. Granted, not discrete digital like you youngsters have :P , but was pretty cool by design.

Gribley
01-19-2016, 06:32 PM
Spent over £1000 on my AV amp back in the day. My Denon Prologic AV Amp has not let me down for about 20 years now. You get what you pay for

Skiz
01-19-2016, 07:50 PM
Basement pics here - http://imgur.com/a/Avh9J (http://filesharingtalk.com/external/?http://imgur.com/a/Avh9J)
Damn. Wish I had that kind of space but would have to lose the cat regardless.... I too am from a prologic (meg) world so therefore far out of date (who need 5:1 really). Them ears don`t work so well when old anyway but sure your man cave will work out sweet :)

And that's leaving about a third of the room (or more) out of the pic. It's long as fk. :smilie4:

megabyteme
01-19-2016, 09:06 PM

And that's leaving about a third of the room (or more) out of the pic. It's long as fk. :smilie4:

I don't think you'd get bad results attaching the rears to your wall about 4 ft to each side of the couch, about 2-3 ft above the listening position. Nobody wants a speaker right in their ear. My rears are all the way back in the corners of my room and it works out fine. Let me know if you'd like any more details, Skiz.

Skiz
01-20-2016, 01:02 AM
Alrighty then. I may wait until this summer to get fully settled in and then buy the TV and M70's. After that, I'll see how things go and decided on what to do with the 45B's.

shaina
01-20-2016, 01:10 AM
Prologic was actually a very clever, early system. It used two channels for the main speakers, then took everything that was common to both channels and sent that to the center channel. Surround information was derived from an out-of-phase track in the audio. Granted, not discrete digital like you youngsters have :P , but was pretty cool by design.

In laments terms.... Voice/Speech was channeled to center speaker front two speakers sound effects according to screen image and rear two speakers mono sound effects went in and out of the picture/image:), sub was a bonus for Boom Boom!!!(passive or fancy powered at the time)

Dolby Digital 5.1 made all five channels independent hens rear 2 rear speakers now independent sound effects. Made a huge difference in sound and a massive break through in technology :unsure:

Gribley.... I hope when you bought the Denon amp, they gave you a deal on the best matching laser-disc player :) :thumbsup:

shaina
01-20-2016, 01:39 AM
I don't think you'd get bad results attaching the rears to your wall about 4 ft to each side of the couch, about 2-3 ft above the listening position. Nobody wants a speaker right in their ear. My rears are all the way back in the corners of my room and it works out fine. Let me know if you'd like any more details, Skiz.

What are these things?? When did they start making such innovative products??:rolleyes:

And Wow!! they even make them 2 way and paint-able now!!

Skiz
01-20-2016, 01:45 AM
What are these things??

Hell if I know. :huh:

shaina
01-20-2016, 01:59 AM
Hell if I know. :huh:

Well if i were you, I'd learn fast and based on your setup (yes i took a glance at your basement rec room photos :whistling), may work pretty good:D

Plus i put the front 2 speakers on stands a little further away from your viewing screen and adjust volumes to liking :D (Put your ass in the center of viewing area when adjusting so it will balance the sound effects :D)

Rear speakers should be behind your sitting area period(or you are just bouncing the sound back to the front wall (or that nice door opening you have there as well:rolleyes:)remember not a theater room it is a rec room!!! you want to make that section of the basement your tv area :D), hens with your couch being against the wall, in- walls may work better, and volumes could be adjusted on distance....:)
Edit.... Am i blind or something?? where is the center channel speaker??

Just some suggestions Skiz....

PS.. Are you a real clean freak or something Skiz(avoided the word anal:whistling), but it does look really nice for a rec-room/family room

congrats again :D

Shay

megabyteme
01-20-2016, 03:27 AM

What are these things?? When did they start making such innovative products??:rolleyes:

And Wow!! they even make them 2 way and paint-able now!!

Unfortunately, in-wall speakers sacrifice sound quality in order to 'improve' aesthetics. I have never heard an in-wall I would rate as comparable to a real speaker. If speakers could do an acceptable job without air behind the driver, we'd see much thinner speaker boxes. And, yes, I'm QUITE familiar with planar speakers (enjoyed my Magnapans!) All speakers with small amounts of air behind the drivers sound like small speakers- and they cost more, usually.

I do not recommend this approach. Honestly, when people enter a room and see a home theater setup around a television, it is usually expected to see speakers in the room.

shaina
01-20-2016, 04:23 AM
I do not recommend this approach. Honestly, when people enter a room and see a home theater setup around a television, it is usually expected to see speakers in the room.

As for in wall speakers the ones i am using are a hell of lot better than your so called traditional speakers you think are great ...I guess it depends on what you want to spend and what look you are looking for when you do walk into a room:D
I prefer the theater room sound without going to a basement built one:D , i guess it is everyone's own choice and opinion.
To me a universal room should look like that, but have the luxury of a great sound and experience when watching a movie or show if you choose too:D

Rear speakers for any surround setup should be behind your seating hens rear speakers not side or bouncing sound of the front wall :idunno:, how it is achieved has a lot of variables when it is not a dedicated theater room..

PS. Would i use in-wall speakers in a theater room??? Chances are no... Why?? Because you can buy way cheaper traditional speakers to compare the sound and quality you have to spend for in walls, but myself or skiz is not building a theater room, he is building an isolated area in a large room , and trying to get the best sound and effects for a surround sound set up....

Just my way of thinking :D

Meg... You really have to get out there more and really check out what is available if you want to spend, and achieve what some people really want today..(not what you have isn't great:D i will take your B & W's but the rest you can keep:whistling)..
What if you live in a 5000 square foot open concept condo?? and you want to build an isolated area for surround sound and viewing?? Your methods are great in a isolated room but not open concepts or rooms with other functions or obstacles that can't be removed or changed:)

To each there own i guess...

megabyteme
01-20-2016, 04:44 AM
If you notice, Skiz isn't really interested in blowing a bunch of money on this. Remember the client. You seem to be leaving his needs/wants out of your suggestions...

shaina
01-20-2016, 04:57 AM
If you notice, Skiz isn't really interested in blowing a bunch of money on this. Remember the client. You seem to be leaving his needs/wants out of your suggestions...

Again match in-walls to what he has now or what he wants to end up with..For cost of In-walls to match the specs of his speakers(not high end and no offense is intended to that comment:D) should be on his budget, and being honest... how many times is he going to change once it is all set up??
So my thought's and thinking were on both to be honest:yup: , also thinking on the obstacles of the room placement he showed, not just a dedicated room for theater:D...

Today you do have to shop around and really look, and i have faith on Skiz finding the best deals for what he really wants not what i or yourself want or think is great....

I mean come on now!! Do you even see a center channel hooked up now??:idunno:
Even if that is not his permanent setup now?? He is not even using what he has now:cry:
Unless i am blind and i can't see in the pictures he posted?? Which i did say is a beautiful rec-room/family room not living room right:D

You could even teach him that he can use RG6 wire and buy the proper ends for what he uses it for(knows where there is a home depot or lowes around:whistling):D
Easy to fish and not bad shielded/insulated wire to use for long runs :D

I don't think the wire we use is in his budget :unsure:

megabyteme
01-20-2016, 05:58 AM
I don't think the wire we use is in his budget :unsure:

I use my spare runs to interrogate neighbors on whose dog is shitting in the street in front of my house.

Alright, I want to, but my surveillance cameras will find the evil pooer. :ermm:

shaina
01-20-2016, 06:03 AM
You know what Skiz....
Idol inspired me on a solution for you!!!
Purchase your TV you really want, then go out and buy 4 pairs of really good wireless surround sound headphones (use for wife kids friends :D), look online and find 4 way splitter for the phono jack on your amp, and away you go:D
No worries of placement or what does or doesn't work:idunno:

Now you can even use them for your pc or whatever you want... Heck you can purchase ones with voice feature and answer your phone if it rings..
And of course sell your speakers for great money and use it for buying the headphones :D

Just a thought??:unsure:

Skiz
01-20-2016, 06:13 AM
In wall speakers? Nope. Concrete wall. :)

And I'm not even using what I have now? Broski...have you even been reading the posts? The shit isn't even plugged in. The center channel is in a box right now. The subs cord in the pic is bundled up and sitting on top of it. The TV isn't on the wall. The TV stand is 6" away from the wall. As I said before, we just finished painting and most of our things are still in boxes. This is just the basic layout of how things will be.

If you're interested in the old pics of the previous layout (as of the previous house with everything connected), it can be seen in the earlier posts in this thread.

edit: And no, I'm not building a dedicated theater room. It's just a room where my main tv is. I couldn't really give a shit about surround sound, but since mbm mentioned that since I was going to buy the M70's, why not just hook up what I have instead of selling it off. That sounded like a good idea. If I have to buy more shit to make it work, then I'll just not do it and be perfectly content with that. So like I said earlier, I'll prob just buy the M70's, then connect the center and sub and be done with it. I may add the rear channels later.

shaina
01-20-2016, 06:18 AM
I use my spare runs to interrogate neighbors on whose dog is shitting in the street in front of my house.
Alright, I want to, but my surveillance cameras will find the evil pooer. :ermm:

Now that is funny:lol::lol::cry1::cry1::lol::lol:
I only have one camera in the front of my house :D(view on all the tv's in the house) Also when you ring my door-bell, it rings on the phone lines in the house someone is at the front door
(technically called a Tele-Door:happy:), That is to separate the Food deliveries from the solicitors:whistling..
But there is a few neighbors with dogs on my street and i just use a shovel and flick it onto my next door neighbors lawn when i see them:whistling
But in all honesty most of them bring bags with them :noes: And i always blame the neighbors, because they don't explain to the nannies walking the dogs that they are responsible to pick the shit up and bring it home for them to dispose of it??:idunno:
Or it could be a language thing??:)

And I'm not even using what I have now? Bruh...have you even been reading the posts? The shit isn't even plugged in. The center channel is in a box right now. The subs cord is bundled up and sitting on top of it. The TV isn't on the wall. The TV stand is 6" away from the wall. As I said before, we just finished painting and most of our things are still in boxes. This is just the basic layout of how things will be.

The old pics of the previous layout (as of the previous house with everything connected) can be seen in the earlier posts in this thread.

Oh.. My bad Skiz!!:D
How long have you been in the new house then??
Once my bedroom and family room furniture was in the tv was going on the wall and all the rooms with surround were being setup (By me of course:D).
The rest of the shit i left for my wife to do:D
Sorry but that might be a spoiled thing:whistling, my basement is not finished for i live in a 5 bedroom house, so i didn't need to rush (now over 10 years later and it is still a storage facility in my basement:whistling)
My apologies Skiz...
As for in-walls... There are low profile wall speakers that also have come down in price Skiz and they have the air Vents that Meg thinks are important:D
I am just trying to make a suggestion that the speakers are kind of placed in the right spots...
My actual family room is about the size you are speaking of with windows and door openings, fireplace, that had to be dealt with....Not a square or rectangular box..

Just suggestions Skiz... In the end it is your money and you have to live with it not me:D

PS. as i just took a peek again at the photos it looks like something on the top of the sub-woofer, but it also looks like a wire coming away from the back of it..
And i assume you do watch tv there now right?? Why wouldn't you hook that up right away tells me you really are not a big fan of surround sound anyways ...
So whatever you do will be exciting and new for you:D
Again my apologies for jumping the gun and thinking you are really interested in surround sound...

And I'm not even using what I have now? Broski...have you even been reading the posts? The shit isn't even plugged in. The center channel is in a box right now. The subs cord in the pic is bundled up and sitting on top of it. The TV isn't on the wall. The TV stand is 6" away from the wall. As I said before, we just finished painting and most of our things are still in boxes. This is just the basic layout of how things will be.

Answer... I get it now on the move in thing for you Skiz:D But don't your walls have studs and insulation in them??? You are telling me the drywall is glued to the concrete??

If you're interested in the old pics of the previous layout (as of the previous house with everything connected), it can be seen in the earlier posts in this thread.

Answer.... Don't give two shits because it is no use to anything you are doing now:D

edit: And no, I'm not building a dedicated theater room.

Answer.... I know and understand completely!! but what you have now is not that bad and just need to add a few more
things to make it work in the space you are using it:D , as i keep repeating it is a universal room and you should treat as such and not make it so obvious that you walk into a rec-room and you are bombarded with stereo shit!! , but when you turn it on the sound will be pleasant in the area you sit to watch a movie or show..
I get it !!!!!! Does Meg is the question??

It's just a room where my main tv is. I couldn't really give a shit about surround sound, but since mbm mentioned that since I was going to buy the M70's, why not just hook up what I have instead of selling it off. That sounded like a good idea. If I have to buy more shit to make it work, then I'll just not do it and be perfectly content with that. So like I said earlier, I'll prob just buy the M70's, then connect the center and sub and be done with it. I may add the rear channels later.

Now the last comments...

Well to let you in on a secret Skiz?? For you to set up properly it is going to cost you money!!!
But once it is done and the money is spent,the purchases will not have to be replaced for a very very long time (by your comments on surround sound now you don't give a shit really:D)
If i were you before you go buy anything at all!!! set up what you got and listen to it (the tv size means shit at this point so don't worry about that!!), put your ass in the middle seat of the viewing and see if you like it!!

That would be my first suggestion before you spend one penny!!! or even a nickle(Vegas term :lol:) :D

Then report back feedback on what you are hearing and what you are looking for???

To me that makes the most sense...Other than the Headphone thing i mentioned :whistling

Regards
Shay

Skiz
01-20-2016, 07:04 AM
No worries.

Nope. Not watching tv down there right now. No time for it right now really. We have the 37" tv in the bedroom set up so I'll watch that for a few mins at night. Otherwise, work and house shit has kept us plenty busy.

We picked up keys on the 29th I think. Started testing paint colors and started actually painting the 31st. 2K sq ft and we painted every inch so it took about 4 days. After that's it's been moving and more moving, plus cleaning out the old place. Getting things done slowly like putting up blinds, setting up office, etc. Slow going... that's why there no real rush on any of this stuff. I did get my new 34" ultrawide curved monitor (https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=LG+34UC97-S) in yesterday tho and I'm super stoked about that. Never thought I'd give up having dual monitors but this will run two windows easily and gaming on it is the absolute tits!! :O

shaina
01-20-2016, 08:04 AM
No worries.
Nope. Not watching tv down there right now. No time for it right now really. We have the 37" tv in the bedroom set up so I'll watch that for a few mins at night. Otherwise, work and house shit has kept us plenty busy.
We picked up keys on the 29th I think. Started testing paint colors and started actually painting the 31st. 2K sq ft and we painted every inch so it took about 4 days. After that's it's been moving and more moving, plus cleaning out the old place. Getting things done slowly like putting up blinds, setting up office, etc. Slow going... that's why there no real rush on any of this stuff. I did get my new 34" ultrawide curved monitor (https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=LG+34UC97-S) in yesterday tho and I'm super stoked about that. Never thought I'd give up having dual monitors but this will run two windows easily and gaming on it is the absolute tits!! :O

Sounds great!! (And a lot of bloody work you guys did!!:D)

And it is funny that now i watch more in my bedroom than i do in the family room. It could be because my wife hogs the family room to watch her shit and i get stuck in the bedroom or the 5th bedroom, i am in now that has my PC , Media Server and a smaller surround setup (from moving shit around when i upgrade the family room every once and a while LOL!!).
And i know from most of your postings you are into gaming and stuff (computer related), my boys don't really leave there rooms because of that :D(one with a MSI laptop and the other just built a new PC mid Tower(i helped a little:whistling)
One just bought (went with him) a new Logitech mouse G502 Proteus Core , i think for playing Rainbow Six or something??
The mouse i use is about $10 or so:whistling... Like i said not my thing:D

Does the curved monitor come with a built in tuner as well?? or just straight monitor??

Again i just use a shitty 20" lg monitor for PC stuff (and a few laptops around the house), it is not my thing PC gaming:D , and believe me if i need advice about that you would be the one i ask:D

But just to let you know.... When i had my house built, i came in with a hard hat and made markings where i wanted all the surround, cable, internet, satellite and electronic wiring to go before the drywall went up, so i did have a advantage in every room of my house:D
So believe me i know it can be a pain in the ass if something is not pre wired or planed :)
But again i will ask a question!!!!??? Is there no studs or insulation on the foundation walls???? I am assuming there is electric plugs on those walls inside fire/protective boxes right???:idunno::idunno::idunno:

But if i were you I'd be patient and not rush to buy anything until you see what you got...And or maybe use it in another room before you do loose money on selling something and having to replace something similar again:cry:

Regards
Shay

Edit... Now wait a minute....
You just purchased that monitor and i went to the link (really nice!!:D)and you are complaining about spending a few more dollars on surround sound?? I really know where and what your interests and priorities really are now:noes:

Enjoy and all the best on the new monitor Skiz:D

Skiz
01-23-2016, 06:38 PM
Subs are a total fucking mystery to me.

Sub is connected with RCA's. Two connections into the sub, one into the receiver in the "subwoofer pre out" port. Play 5.1 movie. Sub does nothing. This was the same problem I had with it before. It seems to have a mind of it's own. The auto-on feature never works at all. If I'm watching a movie and want to use it I have to physically reach behind it and turn it on. And even then it may decide to play bass stuff or it might sit there totally fking silent. Not sure if the sub is shit or my receiver is shit. I'm leaning toward the sub. :dry:

shaina
01-23-2016, 07:09 PM
Subs are a total fucking mystery to me.
Sub is connected with RCA's. Two connections into the sub, one into the receiver in the "subwoofer pre out" port. Play 5.1 movie. Sub does nothing. This was the same problem I had with it before. It seems to have a mind of it's own. The auto-on feature never works at all. If I'm watching a movie and want to use it I have to physically reach behind it and turn it on. And even then it may decide to play bass stuff or it might sit there totally fking silent. Not sure if the sub is shit or my receiver is shit. I'm leaning toward the sub. :dry:

Just a few questions Skiz...:)

-Are you using a Y rca cable to merge the L & R connections from the sub Yes or NO?? Then a single connection straight to the amp not 2??
If you don't have a Y rca cable just choose L or R single connection and only one connection goes to the Amp (if there are 2 sub output(just should read sub not 5.1 or anything else) try either one til you get sound plus go buy a Y cable for a better connection if you don't have one:D

I don't remember if you posted the model of the Amp but in all cases there should be a sub output?? try using that:D Then do a test on speaker connections so you know the amp is recognizing whatever is connected..

And you can also check the volume on the sub and make sure it is 50% or more....
And plug the electric plug from the sub in the wall not the amp:D

Troubleshooting....

-Make sure on the amp the Sub channel is turned on in settings....(set fronts to small for now until you get sound coming out of sub in tests
-Still no sound try a different rca cable but remember only single rca connection goes to the amp:D

PS.. Not saying you didn't know all of this already Skiz:D just made a check list for you .....
Remember that is 2 connections for 2 separate subs
Report back if all of this didn't work Skiz.......

Skiz
01-24-2016, 05:08 AM
Just a few questions Skiz...:)

-Are you using a Y rca cable to merge the L & R connections from the sub Yes or NO?? Then a single connection straight to the amp not 2??
If you don't have a Y rca cable just choose L or R single connection and only one connection goes to the Amp (if there are 2 sub output(just should read sub not 5.1 or anything else) try either one til you get sound plus go buy a Y cable for a better connection if you don't have one:D

No Y cables or anything special. Just a normal RCA cable. Both connectors plugged in to the sub. Only one connection plugged in to the receiver. Seems really odd to me but that's the way people on Google said to do it. Why would I plug in both to the sub if I'm only plugging in one to the receiver...?

I'm plugged in like this. (http://i.imgur.com/zI5K52i.jpg)

I don't remember if you posted the model of the Amp but in all cases there should be a sub output?? try using that:D Then do a test on speaker connections so you know the amp is recognizing whatever is connected..

And you can also check the volume on the sub and make sure it is 50% or more....
And plug the electric plug from the sub in the wall not the amp:D

Yamaha RX-V375

Sub output plug...I think that's what I'm plugged in to right (see above photo). :unsure:

Sub "volume" is set right at about 50%. Once I stray beyond that a hum begins to be audible.

Troubleshooting....

-Make sure on the amp the Sub channel is turned on in settings....(set fronts to small for now until you get sound coming out of sub in tests
-Still no sound try a different rca cable but remember only single rca connection goes to the amp:D

PS.. Not saying you didn't know all of this already Skiz:D just made a check list for you .....
Remember that is 2 connections for 2 separate subs
Report back if all of this didn't work Skiz.......

Sub channel is on in settings. Again, when I manually flip the rear switch, it works...sometimes.

Have tried 2 different cables. :no:

shaina
01-24-2016, 06:53 AM
Looks right Skiz:D (But just use the one connection into the sub and to the amp (L or R, and pull the one not connected to anything else out, it is not needed for now unless you do have a Y connector and never turn the sub power switch off:noes: always leave it on:yup:):) :D

Try turning the Mixer (or whatever it is called) knob up to 75-80% on the sub , and check on the amp the sub volume is not on full(if it is lower that one and raise sub to 75%), that may be causing the buzzing noise...(that is a trial and error crap.... Patients my friend:D)

Did you do a channel/speaker test?? (you hear the distortion noise on each speaker connected and sub )...there should be a button on the remote to do that......

To be honest a Y cable may fix that:D

Also you could connect the sub the speaker wire way as well and see if that gives you better results (not really sure if it will tho, but trial and error thing..)

Also is there any legs or bottom protectors on the sub?? You could try to raise the sub off the carpet :D

And what settings are you using on the Amp to test the sound?? Try putting it in stereo mode only, and see if you are getting Boom Boom!!
No matter what you fiddle with on the amp Skiz without some sort of rear speakers connected (i don't care where they are placed , just for the amp to register the 5 speakers connected), really that is the way they are designed to operate in certain modes:idunno:

Skiz just keep patients, and fiddle around with the volume levels..Once it is all done then it is set and you are done.....

Sorry Skiz because it is not in front of me ,The first question i really should have asked you is what are you using/connected to the amp to test the sound signals??(eg. cable box, media box, blu ray straight to TV etc...??)....You don't need to have anything connected to test the speaker connections, but what you are using to broadcast may change quality etc. on the sub, and speakers, and how it is being picked up:D.....

Trial and error sooner or later will work Skiz:D

Regards
Shay

PS. Meg....:D:D:D
Your suggestions are welcome, if you can think of something else :D

Skiz
02-04-2016, 07:34 AM
TV purchased. Polk Monitor 75T's purchased. All are en route.

The gf didn't like the idea of having such a big tv, so somehow it turns out that if I buy a white tv stand, that'll make her ok with it. So I gotta buy one of those too. :pinch:

Skiz
02-06-2016, 01:34 AM
Cawk teasers!! Ordered two speakers. Got one speaker delivered today! One!

megabyteme
02-06-2016, 04:01 AM

DOH! Are you supposed to get the other one tomorrow, or are you waiting through the weekend now?

Sorry, haven't been watching this thread lately. Did you get the sub figured out? If not, I'll look at how mine is configured. As Shay pointed out, there are quite a few configurations.

shaina
02-06-2016, 04:41 AM
Sorry, haven't been watching this thread lately. Did you get the sub figured out? If not, I'll look at how mine is configured. As Shay pointed out, there are quite a few configurations.

To be honest... I only have one powered sub that will connect with the speaker configuration (out of 4). The rest you have to use RCA/Composite connections (and i use Y connector of course :D). If i remember correctly Meg you are using 12" subs, and i would think you have them connected with RCA/Composite:D, But that would be just a guess:D

But i would suggest when Skiz gets his other speaker delivered:noes:(fuckin retarded!!:rolleyes: , and really sounds like a reputable place where they were purchased:idunno:), I would try the speaker wire way and not use the RCA connection at all...(again trial and error thing:D)

As for the White TV Stand Skiz .... IKEA!!! here we come!!:yahoo:

Skiz
02-06-2016, 05:49 AM

DOH! Are you supposed to get the other one tomorrow, or are you waiting through the weekend now?

No worries.

Haven't tinkered with the sub any further. I'll just see how things go once everything is hooked up and go from there.

Newegg did it through one of those third party delivery services so who knows. The tracking says it's here in town so maybe if I'm lucky it'll be here tomorrow. Latest Monday. The one I did receive is really fucking big. Much larger than I remembered in my head when I did some measuring last year. :ermm:

To be honest... I only have one powered sub that will connect with the speaker configuration (out of 4). The rest you have to use RCA/Composite connections (and i use Y connector of course :D). If i remember correctly Meg you are using 12" subs, and i would think you have them connected with RCA/Composite:D, But that would be just a guess:D

But i would suggest when Skiz gets his other speaker delivered:noes:(fuckin retarded!!:rolleyes: , and really sounds like a reputable place where they were purchased:idunno:), I would try the speaker wire way and not use the RCA connection at all...(again trial and error thing:D)

As for the White TV Stand Skiz .... IKEA!!! here we come!!:yahoo:

I was thinking IKEA as well. I showed the gf one from the website and she liked it. Could it really be that easy? First one I find and she likes it? Feels like a trap. :ph34r:

megabyteme
02-06-2016, 06:44 AM
Those are big speakers. I teetered between my 60s and the 70s and I just did not have room for the larger ones. I think you'll enjoy the sound, though. Will be happy to help with the sub when you get back to tinkering with it. I suspect you'll be pleased with the increase in bass compared to what you've been getting- especially if the sub has not been engaging.

If for some reason I don't catch your questions, feel free to grab my attention with a PM.

shaina
02-06-2016, 07:45 AM
I was thinking IKEA as well. I showed the gf one from the website and she liked it. Could it really be that easy? First one I find and she likes it? Feels like a trap. :ph34r:

Really the only place i could think of for a reasonably priced good looking white cabinet/unit:D, most places have wood or wood colors (solid wood, particle board or printed wood:noes:), unless you go to a real fancy furniture store and pay through the nose for a white cabinet:cry:

Plus.. It is fun to walk around IKEA and see what else they got:D, let the better half buy a few more things and you might get lucky that night Skiz:naughty:
I buy a few things there and it may not be the best quality, but it does look good once you figure out how to build the dam things:lol:

PS. They have a cordless drill set made for building there crap (the middle one i bought), it works pretty good:D, and for odd jobs around the house:D
Plus... You do know that Best Buy does price match and give 10% of the difference?? Even Internet pricing... I have used Newegg site for that:yup:..
For high end cables and stuff i go to a whole seller(plus they make custom cables if you need them), but for smaller stuff i go to a place called "Canada Computers", not sure what you guys have there to compare:idunno:

I see you are a big fan on buying things online:D, i prefer not too unless it is the only place i can get what i am looking for, It would be my last resort for purchasing electronics..I like to see what i am buying and know if there is a problem it goes back in my truck , and replaced:)

Good luck Skiz:D

Haven't tinkered with the sub any further. I'll just see how things go once everything is hooked up and go from there.

:thumbsup: :clap: :clap: :thumbsup:

Skiz
02-09-2016, 11:56 PM
Been getting super frustrated with setting up some basics.

Question 1:
Sub "auto-on" still doesn't function correctly. It never turns on by itself regardless of what I'm watching. BluRay, Roku, TV, anything at all. I have to go turn it to the "On" position to get anything from it at all, at which time it seems to work just fine. Why is this? It's connected to the receiver via RCA cables to the receivers "subwoofer pre-out" port. I've tried a different RCA cable and I've tried playing different types of audio.

Question 2: Is the sub supposed to kick on with music playing bc I can't figure out how to get it to turn work at all when playing music from my iPhone. I'm using a 3.5mm (from iPhone) to RCA and plugging that RCA connection into the "Audio 1" port in the back of the receiver. Right now everything just plays through the 75T front towers.

Question 3: Speaking of the 75T towers...um... they suck. Unless I'm doing something wrong. Everywhere I read people are talking about the deep bass, but I'm not getting anything I would consider remotely in the ballpark of "deep bass". From 1-10 they're like a 3. The 45B's I had plugged in before buying these have more bass. I've checked the on-screen setup for the Yamaha receiver and I believe I have everything setup correctly. I have the sub enabled. The "front" speakers are set to "Large" (choices are large and small). I've tinkered with the crossover setting and turned it up to around 80-100, but anything higher than that starts to make everything sound really bad. I had high expectations for these from reading 5-star reviews on essentially every website imaginable but they've been nothing but a pile of disappointment from my end.

shaina
02-10-2016, 02:37 AM
Been getting super frustrated with setting up some basics.

Question 1:
Sub "auto-on" still doesn't function correctly. It never turns on by itself regardless of what I'm watching. BluRay, Roku, TV, anything at all. I have to go turn it to the "On" position to get anything from it at all, at which time it seems to work just fine. Why is this? It's connected to the receiver via RCA cables to the receivers "subwoofer pre-out" port. I've tried a different RCA cable and I've tried playing different types of audio.

Question 2: Is the sub supposed to kick on with music playing bc I can't figure out how to get it to turn work at all when playing music from my iPhone. I'm using a 3.5mm (from iPhone) to RCA and plugging that RCA connection into the "Audio 1" port in the back of the receiver. Right now everything just plays through the 75T front towers.

Question 3: Speaking of the 75T towers...um... they suck. Unless I'm doing something wrong. Everywhere I read people are talking about the deep bass, but I'm not getting anything I would consider remotely in the ballpark of "deep bass". From 1-10 they're like a 3. The 45B's I had plugged in before buying these have more bass. I've checked the on-screen setup for the Yamaha receiver and I believe I have everything setup correctly. I have the sub enabled. The "front" speakers are set to "Large" (choices are large and small). I've tinkered with the crossover setting and turned it up to around 80-100, but anything higher than that starts to make everything sound really bad. I had high expectations for these from reading 5-star reviews on essentially every website imaginable but they've been nothing but a pile of disappointment from my end.

Ok Skiz...Patience and i will try to go through this step by step if you want??:D (and you have connected all 5 speakers, don't care where you have positioned them at this point just make sure you have done that k (plus sub)... And do the Fuzz test (static test that sound is coming through all the speakers(each separate channel k), this is important :yup:)

What is the mode/setting on the Amp Reading?? (what movie show are you testing it with and what format is it?? MKV AVI MP4???)
The switch/toggle on the back of the Sub you always should have it in the "on" position k
Lets start with these questions :D

PS. If Meg is using them they are good Skiz, so something in the settings on the Amp or format you are watching is not decoding right..
Be it HDMI connection or may need to use Optical connection to correct the issue.....
Patience my friend and it will get solved.... (If Meg or myself was there in person it is a bit easier :D), plus to speed up things if you have any spare speaker wire around have that ready k:D

Regards
Shay

megabyteme
02-10-2016, 03:45 AM
I suspect the bass is being bypassed FROM the 75's. Take the sub out of the equation for now. We can add it back in later. Right now, they are being treated like bookshelf speakers. Let's run them full range, then reinforce the bottom end by running the sub separate (later).

shaina
02-10-2016, 04:05 AM
I suspect the bass is being bypassed FROM the 75's. Take the sub out of the equation for now. We can add it back in later. Right now, they are being treated like bookshelf speakers. Let's run them full range, then reinforce the bottom end by running the sub separate (later).

which means turn the settings to front speakers "large" on the Amp and turn the Sub off as well??

That is what you are asking Skiz to do right??:D

If not?? Try to explain in details:D

Even doing that Meg it makes the Bass (Boom Boom) directional, not the same as running a sub:D
But for test purposes.... Sure why not:D

Being honest... I would like a yes or no answer to the speaker connection test before anything else...(make sure all the channels are working and no wires are crossed or touching:idunno:, not sure if the amp he has shuts down automatically for that...??).
Plus what he is using to test the sound?? eg. Blu-ray, streaming box, cable etc. and what format??
Easy questions to answer :D
Plus going from the TV .... did he change the settings that he is using an outside sound source not the TV itself??

Try what you said first then sound test on all speaker channels :D

PS. did you check your sub connections Meg?? And not having the problem in front of you can be a pain in the ass!!!!

megabyteme
02-10-2016, 04:50 AM
I'm addressing his concern for lack of bass in the 75's. Since the sub is on the small side anyway, it won't hurt to run the fronts full-range, then send the full signal to the sub. We want to bypass all of the crossovers in the way of the Polks. I would unplug the sub completely from the system for now. No RCA cables; nothing connected. Front channels set to full range/large. Internal (on the receiver) frequency cutoffs disabled.

I agree that doing the 'all channels' test is important. As well as having a good source, but I suspect skiz would have picked something with bass to test his sub. There are some good system test dvds that can be downloaded for setup purposes. One of those is certainly recommended here. They have tests for various frequency ranges, channel tests, as well as sub setup.

Also, putting a sub in a corner will reinforce its sound greatly. Placement really helps.

Are the speaker connections bi-wired? If so, make sure (since you are only running one set of leads) the proper shunts are across the set of four screws in the back of the 75's. This could be why nothing is getting to the low end.

But I do think it is best to get the 75's running properly before adding in the complexity of the other channels. Turn it to 2-channel, with nothing interfering.

shaina
02-10-2016, 05:11 AM
I'm addressing his concern for lack of bass in the 75's. Since the sub is on the small side anyway, it won't hurt to run the fronts full-range, then send the full signal to the sub. We want to bypass all of the crossovers in the way of the Polks. I would unplug the sub completely from the system for now. No RCA cables; nothing connected. Front channels set to full range/large. Internal (on the receiver) frequency cutoffs disabled.

I agree that doing the 'all channels' test is important. As well as having a good source, but I suspect skiz would have picked something with bass to test his sub. There are some good system test dvds that can be downloaded for setup purposes. One of those is certainly recommended here. They have tests for various frequency ranges, channel tests, as well as sub setup.
Also, putting a sub in a corner will reinforce its sound greatly. Placement really helps.

The sub being a non directional sound does not have to be placed in a corner and that my cause vibrations from the wall stud or door, but trial and error sure why not:D

As for test dvd's/Blu-rays and stuff?? Who cares at this point?? Getting all the speakers working first would take priority over that..
The Amp has a speaker test on it to test the channels that is first priority in my opinion and the settings for sound quality after.
As for testing for bass sound?? Settings on the amp can fix that and depending what he is broadcasting and what format (True Dolby or Pro Logic etc.) is going to change the reactions of the speaker sound and where the sound is directed (eg. i test with certain movies to test sound once i know the speakers are connected and each channel is recognized if that makes sense?? Blade BD rip is really good!!:D or give him a suggestion and on proper formatted copy/original as well )....

Your idea of removing the sub to test the bass and sound of his front speakers is fine but not the solution for getting the sound to come out of the fronts , if you understand what i am saying...

The settings on the amp and what signals he is sending will change all of that and that should be mentioned, that is all i am saying:D
Meg... You know the speakers are good sound wise and i trust your judgement/opinion, so trying to prove that is not needed, but getting all the speakers working and then adjusting the sound quality is a better solution to me, small sub or not:D, plus that is what he owns now:D

I think it is enough for my help being i want everything connected properly before i worry about what sound quality is coming out of them or even placement??

Good Luck Meg...

Regards
Shay

megabyteme
02-10-2016, 05:15 AM
Make sure it looks something like this on the back of your speakers:

http://i.imgur.com/NHn3wGJ.jpg

Or there could be metal bars between. this is also fine. Just make sure there is something pairing the posts.

http://i.imgur.com/7C7eFTg.jpg?1

shaina
02-10-2016, 05:26 AM
I don't think that amp has Bi-Wire connections/capable :noes: (If those speakers do?? make sure he didn't take the plates off or he did put them on :D Good call Meg!!:D)

Now what?? how do you connect the speakers to the Amp Meg??:D Use top connections or Bottom ??:idunno:

Maybe drop buy radio shack /the source for some banana plugs:unsure:

Eazy Peazy Lemon Squeezy :D

Skiz.... If they didn't ship with those plates on, they should be in the box:D

megabyteme
02-10-2016, 07:03 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PCkvCPvDXk

shaina
02-10-2016, 02:49 PM
Good Tester :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Udn51qJwDvY&list=RDUdn51qJwDvY#t=36

Skiz
02-10-2016, 11:47 PM
K. Thats a lot to take in and respond to so I'll go briefly bit by bit.

The YPAO test appears to skip right past the sub, and then disable it. I've found it disabled in the on-screen menu. After enabling it I thought that was all I needed to do. But today I found that it was also turned the "level" way down as well. I've put that back to 1 db and that has helped tremendously in that I now have bass coming from there to help round things out.

If I disconnect the sub altogether I can't set the speakers to large, only to small. If I connect or enable the sub again I can toggle back and forth between large and small again.

I have tested several sounds types. Television, Netflix movies (5.1), Vevo music videos (5.1), analog audio via iPhone (3.5mm)...

The brackets/shunts are still there and being used. Everything snugged down well.

megabyteme
02-11-2016, 03:05 AM
I suspect that you are not getting the full-range out of those 75's still. It is, of course, best to have them designated as 'large', but if you are still disappointed in their bass output, at least see how they do with the sub disconnected. With that many moderate sized drivers, there really has to be decent bass response- also, that is why the case is so large, massive movement of air (assuming proper amplification, those drivers work together to create a larger one).

Something in the stereo system (this could be the receiver itself, a setting which cuts off bass from the fronts to have that sent to the sub, the subwoofer crossover cutting out the lower frequencies- if the fronts are wired in after it in the chain, biwiring- which you have ruled out) is taking those low end frequencies from your 75's.

Part of the 5.1 system is to send all the bass to the subwoofer (that is the .1 designation). It should also be possible to get the 75's to run full range AND have bass coming from the sub. If you are unhappy with the bass, this is what we should shoot for. This is what I'd favor because otherwise, you are not getting everything out of those 75's you can.

shaina
02-11-2016, 05:49 AM
Meg is right Skiz......:D

Do some reading here....

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=179508

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/1279885-yamaha-ypao-produces-inferior-listening-environment.htm

http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-2197893/subwoofer-connected-receiver.html

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/969981-what-phase-switch-behind-my-sub.html

The YPAO test makes wrong settings.... Manual settings are needed to get better quality sound:D

Also if your speaker wires are coded for + and - connections(a line or something to distinguish between them) to the amp that will help as well (follow the wires from speaker to amp)...

And make sure the toggle switch on the sub is on and read more on that high low switch as well:D

And by the sounds of it you are running HDMI cable from TV to Amp (run that into a video in not out )
now the TV settings have to be set to recognize the amp only if that makes sense Skiz:D

And No Cable/Sat box or media box ?? That will change the TV HDMI to Out......
And if there is Optical or Coax connections on those, sometimes separating the HDMI for Video only, may clean up the sound quality as well:D

Sorry but more trial and error Skiz:D

EDIT!!PS. Skiz.... Sometimes a good place to look for tips is AVS forums:D, kind of like Reddit for audio video stuff:D

calvin
02-24-2016, 12:26 PM
Basically an MBM is kind of a crutch between a decent sub and mains that are a bit lacking.

Skiz
02-26-2016, 06:44 AM
Fuckloads of tinkering. Seems like things are working now. I've said fuck the auto-on feature on the sub and I just leave it on all the time now. Not sure exactly what the problems were or even what I did to fix them, but all the fiddling I've over the past few weeks has seems to slowly get it all in line. Watched Straight Outta Compton last night and was pretty much like this (https://iconicphotos.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/images_maninchair.jpg) the entire time. :01:

All the outlets in the basement are for some reason set at mid-wall, 4 feet high. Thus the plugs that needed to go in were going to cause problems for the TV to lay flat. Put one of these monstrosities in the wall (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Pass-Seymour-15Amp-125Volt-Recessed-TV-Box-Combo-Surge-Outlet-Brush-Insert-TV1WTVSSWCC2/202529126). Had to cut a fucking 8.5" x 5.5" hole in the wall. After some modifications to it for the surge protector and HDMI to fit through, all worked well. Put in an oversized version of this (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Cooper-Wiring-Devices-1-Gang-Recessed-Multimedia-Cable-Wall-Plate-White-35M1W-SP-L/203492457?MERCH=REC-_-NavPLPHorizontal1_rr-_-NA-_-203492457-_-N) down low to feed everything up from.

Center channel plugged in but with the gf in bed I haven't tested yet.

Final product:

TV:
VIZIO 65" M65-C1, 4K Smart TV

Receiver:
Yamaha RX-V375

Speakers:
Polk Monitor 75T tower x 2
Polk PSW10 sub
Polk Center channel CS2 Series II
(Polk 45B x 2...not yet connected)

Media:
Zotac ZBox HD-ND22-U
Roku 3

Got the tv stand from IKEA. It's designed to have 3 slots/3 drawers, but I left out the middle drawer to make room for the receiver and took the shelf that would have gone above the drawer, and glued it in the bottom for the receiver to sit on.

Messy pic:

Thanks for all the help! :kiss:

shaina
02-27-2016, 05:44 AM
Looks Great Skiz :D (Nice TV pistol Pete!!!!:happy:)

I am glad everything worked out finally :D

Hope you had fun in Ikea:lol:(nice stand)

PS. you could move the sub over a bit or away from the left tower speaker(where you have the short stack of boxes:D), and Put in the first Blade movie and see how that sounds:yup:

Enjoy and congrats on the house as well:D

Regards
Shay