PDA

View Full Version : news server problem

fpsfreak
02-12-2014, 04:22 AM
i'm trying to get something off of ngs and i need just a few files.it tells me "article not found" a good amount of files downloaded with frugal but 11 gigs remain left to download.so i got blocknews.with blocknews it tells me article not found.does it say that due to my isp or whats the deal?

piercerseth
02-12-2014, 04:31 AM
i'm trying to get something off of ngs and i need just a few files.it tells me "article not found" a good amount of files downloaded with frugal but 11 gigs remain left to download.so i got blocknews.with blocknews it tells me article not found.does it say that due to my isp or whats the deal?

How old are the articles, what's the specific error message in your logs?

RiverRapids
02-12-2014, 09:20 PM

Either the articles are so old they are no longer on the news server, or they've been deleted by the news server provider, probably due to some DMCA takedown notice.

fpsfreak
02-13-2014, 04:00 AM
ok when i started the article it was 8 hours old.the next day i came back from work and noticed the files were still downloading.(i forgot to take off sleep mode on pc) so anyways 10 gigs from the 50 gig article were incomplete.i used blocknews to fill the missing blocks.so far so good.atm quickpar it says 3 hours to repair.thanks for the help.will let u know how it goes :)

Beck38
02-13-2014, 08:12 AM
A couple of things; since you declined to mention WHICH primary news-service/server you were using (you did mention the secondary Blocknews), or the source server of the posted material (where did it originate?), or which posting engine was used, any commentary beyond simply shots in the dark are a bit futile.

You had somewhere around 20% missing or corrupted, that could have been caused by all sorts of things, probably the least of which is some DMCA takedown (which would usually result in nearer to 100% missing).

If you had done a bit more digging, you might have found out one of the following:

1. Poor posting perhaps combined with wacky server plant, i.e., using a non-error checking uploader (PowerPost et. al.)

2. A server going off the rails while posting (which JBinUP could have helped on)

3. Or bad propagation out of that plant to the rest of Usenet (poor checking by the poster/lack of due diligence)

4. Possibly poor operation of the primary server you were trying to leech from, although Blocknews pulled you out of the ditch