PDA

View Full Version : Best Newsgroup?

aryke
02-13-2014, 01:07 AM
I always seem to have issues with newsgroups these days, hardly any files available etc..

Although I haven't used them in a couple of months, just wondering if its still the case?

What newsgroup do you guys use?

Beck38
02-13-2014, 03:54 AM
Uh... define (from your perspective of course) the word 'best'.

There are literally thousands of newsgroups, thousands even that are used or identified as 'binary' (uh, tens of thousands actually).

Some (maybe not even most these days) post to groups that maybe identify the 'type' of files they are posting, so kinda obvious that if one went to 'alt.binaries.mp3' one would find (again, perhaps) say, mp3's. But since there are (again) several dozen variation on that theme (from the a.b.mp3 to a.b.zappa and everything in between) it's kinda impossible to find what one is looking for by scanning the groups manually. That's what Binsearch and the like are for.

HD video is a bit 'smaller' in that there are around a dozen or more variations on the theme. Folks who trowel for broadcast tv fare generally linger around in a.b.teevee but even with that there are several groups that are 'specific' to that, not just that one. And I always trip across 'captured' tv fare even in groups like a.b.bluray or a.b.blu-ray (see what people have done? Somebody somewhere sometime decided that 'blu-ray' needed to be 'bluray' or perhaps the other way around, don't remember which was 'first'.

You might find in d/l'ing a bunch of headers in several groups, find one that 'typically' has what you're looking for and check it out every x days of so for 'goodies'. I do that with a.b.teevee, but still default back to one of the indexers simply because I've seen folks who do typically post in that group occasionally do so elsewhere.

In short, anything can end of anywhere, at any time. Put your faith in a raw indexer.

aryke
02-13-2014, 08:17 AM
Uh... define (from your perspective of course) the word 'best'.

There are literally thousands of newsgroups, thousands even that are used or identified as 'binary' (uh, tens of thousands actually).

Some (maybe not even most these days) post to groups that maybe identify the 'type' of files they are posting, so kinda obvious that if one went to 'alt.binaries.mp3' one would find (again, perhaps) say, mp3's. But since there are (again) several dozen variation on that theme (from the a.b.mp3 to a.b.zappa and everything in between) it's kinda impossible to find what one is looking for by scanning the groups manually. That's what Binsearch and the like are for.

HD video is a bit 'smaller' in that there are around a dozen or more variations on the theme. Folks who trowel for broadcast tv fare generally linger around in a.b.teevee but even with that there are several groups that are 'specific' to that, not just that one. And I always trip across 'captured' tv fare even in groups like a.b.bluray or a.b.blu-ray (see what people have done? Somebody somewhere sometime decided that 'blu-ray' needed to be 'bluray' or perhaps the other way around, don't remember which was 'first'.

You might find in d/l'ing a bunch of headers in several groups, find one that 'typically' has what you're looking for and check it out every x days of so for 'goodies'. I do that with a.b.teevee, but still default back to one of the indexers simply because I've seen folks who do typically post in that group occasionally do so elsewhere.

In short, anything can end of anywhere, at any time. Put your faith in a raw indexer.

Well mainly hd movies and tv, I think I used the wrong word though. I meant what usenet provider is the best around at the moment?

Giganews was my main provider for a long while but in short service didn't seem as good towards the end. Although could have been anything other than that also.

aryke
02-13-2014, 02:09 PM
I actually meant what is the best usenet provider, especially for take downs as I seem to have problems with this a lot.

Beck38
02-14-2014, 10:13 AM
Well, if your target fare is Pay-Per-View pro-wresting, p0rn, or OTA Broadcast tv fare, that might be true, and the only solution is to get involved with the pay-walled (and auto-downloading) systems out there, and try and 'beat the clock' on grabbing xy or z.

Except for those aforementioned 'categories', I've never seen more than a bare handful (and I mean something less than the fingers of one hand) over the past 15+ years, and in several of those (verified) cases, when that material was re-uploaded just a couple weeks/months later, it wasn't targeted at all. In short, wait a bit and it'll probably be re-posted by someone from somewhere and will be 'unmolested'.

I usually end such discussions here with the plain fact that I've been posting top-flight material 24/7/365 for well over 15+ years, the last 6+ almost exclusively HD (although I do SD/DVD upon occasion, particularly if it's something that a quick search on the major search engines yields zero) and that's some 600-3TB/month. Zero takedowns. And I watch my posts like a hawk for at least 30-60 days, ready to re-post if any do get targeted, and have a 'program' in place to re-check yet again at the 6+ months point, and occasionally will re-check at the 1000+ day point as well).

Some folks will say this or another server plant allows faster (or slower) than others on removals, but if you want to avoid it to some extent, you have to join in the 'auto-club'. I don't see the point, as I outgrew the pro-wrestling in about 9th grade, I've collected enough p0rn in past ears to give Larry Flynt a run for the money in that department, and as far as broadcast tv fare, that's what they invented antennas and digital capture boxes for, if that what I'm interested in.