PDA

View Full Version : EuroAccess (XLned, SunnyUsenet, etc.) taken over by Highwinds?

NNTP
02-13-2014, 10:32 PM
I just noticed that the whois for XLned and SunnyUsenet has a highwinds.com e-mail address for all contacts. Also, the homepage of euroaccess.nl (the company that used to run the servers) is gone. Is it correct that these once "independent" providers are now part of the Highwinds corporation? If so, when did this happen?

02-14-2014, 09:28 AM
I guess it will happen sooner or later to smaller providers as usenet lost a big chunk of the market after newzbin/nzbmatrix closed.

Hypatia
02-14-2014, 03:37 PM
Highwinds in collaboration with MAFIA is slowly taking voer all independent providers still left out there. To what goal one migth ask? I would wager that once the world wide take over is compelte, Highwinds (as well as giganews) will put a stop to all binary uploads and will use the network as a delivery method for movies, tv shows and whatnot similar to hulu, netflix and others.Perhaps it will provide some other servicies using the infrastructure.

hdjunky
02-15-2014, 02:23 AM
Highwinds in collaboration with MAFIA is slowly taking voer all independent providers still left out there. To what goal one migth ask? I would wager that once the world wide take over is compelte, Highwinds (as well as giganews) will put a stop to all binary uploads and will use the network as a delivery method for movies, tv shows and whatnot similar to hulu, netflix and others.Perhaps it will provide some other servicies using the infrastructure.

And you know what's sad? The sheeple will continue to use high winds providers because they save a buck a month. We should try to support the independent systems as much as possible.

A_T
02-23-2014, 04:06 PM
The most depressing usenet news I've heard in a long time

drakester
02-24-2014, 01:50 AM
Everyone should be using an independent system as a backup to their primary server anyways... to supplement your feed, and to support the outliers.