View Full Version : Torrents in the US

jlocke
02-15-2014, 09:26 PM
Safe or unsafe?
Will be happy to hear your thoughts.
Thanks!

pythoncancer
02-15-2014, 10:30 PM
unsafe and three strike rule just like in France is applicable now -HAIL DEMOCRACY- .I think you are not in touch with ur neighborhood ,Many are getting Letters for using torrents .Two warning and at third strike you can be either entitled to legal action or ban you from internet depending on ur isp .

Rart
02-15-2014, 10:56 PM
I haven't had any issues with letters at all and I haven't given two flying fucks about security. I don't take any extra measures to try to remain "safe".

Enlightened
02-16-2014, 12:29 AM
Check this out:
https://torrentfreak.com/comcasts-six-strikes-email-with-infringement-details-surfaces-130303/

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/02/heres-what-an-actual-six-strikes-copyright-alert-looks-like/

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Customer-Service/Does-Comcast-SHUT-OFF-SERVICE-after-6-Strikes-Yes-or-No/td-p/1595521

- I got 4 already, from D/l and seeding using Torrents..... Looking to use VPN soon, if my IP gets Tagged again, and if I get the Fifth Letter of Copyright Infringement from CCI.

Johndon
02-16-2014, 08:21 PM
I have had no issues, but I don't use a seedbox at home sometimes and i'm ok. I only use invite-only sites though. But at University I always use a seedbox with no issues there either.

Riptide
02-17-2014, 08:10 PM
Have gotten numerous letters here. 2 under my name then we cancelled and opened up service in my wife's name. Already got one so far. I used to be on a private tracker site it was great then they shut down.

pslak1
02-24-2014, 02:42 AM
Interesting. Do they send letter when they receive complaint from someone?

eugchen
03-10-2014, 04:31 PM
be careful---i got a letter from my ISP asking me to stop using torrents...

Enlightened
03-12-2014, 08:09 PM

- Not sure what ISP u got, but generally u ONLY get the same letter about The Ciopy Infringement, but different Tirles u had downloaded or Uploaded..

MY ISP [ COMCAST] - I never got any saying I should STOP using Torrents. I checked the Comcast email, daily.

Artemis
03-12-2014, 08:59 PM

That's a really odd letter you got, especially since there are valid reasons for using torrents, large files often have a torrent download as an option rather than http, i.e. Linux Iso's, or were you just being illiterate and not describing what the letter actually said?

mlindsay
03-12-2014, 10:13 PM
I think you should be relatively safe, considering millions of other people are torrenting as well, however if you want to feel more secure you could always invest in a good vpn provider. Some very good providers are less than $ 5.00 a month. That's what I've done, and I feel mostly secure.

Tokeman
03-14-2014, 05:49 PM
I've never received any letters but I stick to my smaller invite only sites if possible. I have friends here that have gotten letters for using public torrent sites for new media, against my advice I might add. Its a numbers game and IMO they go after they easiest infringers they can catch first (read: public sites) and there is no shortage of them around...

Enlightened
03-15-2014, 12:32 AM
I've never received any letters but I stick to my smaller invite only sites if possible. I have friends here that have gotten letters for using public torrent sites for new media, against my advice I might add. Its a numbers game and IMO they go after they easiest infringers they can catch first (read: public sites) and there is no shortage of them around...

Yep, it's the seeding that gets u eventually,, I was downloading from 2 private sites, still I got hit, now I am up to 6 strikes, gonna change Account name and more Vigilant and cautious where I download from. Public Trackers are a suicidal move

zwarlockz
04-25-2014, 07:00 PM
Certain locations in the U.S. are safer than others. The easiest way to protect yourself is just to get a good VPN service. Don't put it off. Prices start around $40/year. If you can't afford that, well, then you probably have no money for the patent trolls to take if you get sued.

sammy12
05-04-2014, 03:23 AM
how safe is downloading nzb vs torrents. Nzb you are not uploading to others like torrents or is that incorrect

eeii
05-14-2014, 07:02 PM
the only time i ever received a complaint was when i was using strongvpn and downloaded a few wii games

Lilphish
05-21-2014, 01:45 AM
I've used overplay VPN and haven't had any issues.

fldash
05-25-2014, 05:29 AM
Unsafe in general, you will get a letter from your ISP at best and at worst you'll get a lawsuit from the rights holders...