PDA

View Full Version : Question about Nuked Files

jrgoncal
03-01-2014, 08:25 PM
The South Park here
http://filesharingtalk.com/nzbs/games/xbox360/126258-South-Park-The-Stick-of-Truth-NTSC-XBOX360-iMARS
was labelled nuked because of 1 bad file. (r18)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the par files be able to repair it? I've successfully repaired nzb's with some files completely missing.
Am I missing something here or is r18 part of some required files or something?

Just curious and trying to understand better, thanks!

Alien5
03-01-2014, 08:55 PM
yes you need that RAR

you should just wait for a New one.

jrgoncal
03-01-2014, 09:09 PM
Ah... Wasn't aware that there was any required Rars. I always thought that as long as the pars were there (with enough blocks), all the rars could be repaired.

Thanks

Edit: While not really part of my question, the link you provided was very interesting nonetheless. :)

piercerseth
03-01-2014, 09:11 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the par files be able to repair it? I've successfully repaired nzb's with some files completely missing.

Not in this case. iMARS screwed up when they intially packed it, so it was broken even before a valid par set could be created.

firebirduk
03-01-2014, 09:14 PM
I'm guessing the rar file was damaged and than par'd - this could explain why the restored file is still damaged (in the sense of not being a valid part of the rar set).

Alien5
03-01-2014, 09:22 PM
the problem is that 1 Rar is broken/damaged.

the people who made it into RARs made a mistake or messed up somewhere.

it will only work if the team who made it decide to release that one RAR alone

the usually release the whole thing again.

you have to wait for it. or delete the whole thing.

http://predb.me/?search=South.Park.The.Stick.of.Truth.NTSC.XBOX360-iMARS

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/some_options_for_corrupt_rar_files.cfm

Beck38
03-01-2014, 09:45 PM

Failure of the poster to follow basic 'due diligence' in packing up and then posting the bad result.

When rar'ing something, one needs to check the rar package (from winrar) after packing up, either manually (preferred, especially these days if/when using rar encryption), and then once again checking the par2 creation, either manually or automatically (once again, manual is preferred, get your eyeballs and brain on what you're doing) to make sure everything is solid.

It not only checks your process, but will also check the machine one is using, either drive or memory problems can crop up and result in what apparently happened with that archive process. Again, if the poster skipped some of these steps, and then failed to do the final bit of 'due diligence' at the end by checking their posting, you're left with the result. I've gotten all the way to that final check point and found that somewhere in the 'process' my fingers 'slipped', and I immediately repacked things and posted the corrected archive.

Then I changed my process checking so it hopefully wouldn't happen again.I guess if it gets re posted the person who messed up has hopefully learned something, or if it never is, they figured that all they had to do is dump the data into usenet and they were 'done'.