PDA

View Full Version : How Big is Space ??

pythoncancer
03-07-2014, 12:03 PM
Beautiful future interactive thread by BBC Even Iranian space monkey got its place that was successfully launched into space in December 2013

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbc.com/future/bespoke/20140304-how-big-is-space-interactive/index.html

IdolEyes787
03-07-2014, 12:57 PM
Big.

Slightly smaller than Mary's ego but still big.

Also as much as I approve,I think it's considered racist to call Iranians, "monkeys".

piercerseth
03-07-2014, 01:38 PM
Current diameter is estimated at around 93 B LY.

I'm all for an Iranian space program using rickety-ass communist era rockets and an astronaut corps comprised entirely of ayatollahs and imams. They have the right stuff.

This is a really neat flash app: http://htwins.net/scale2/

EDIT: better link

megabyteme
03-07-2014, 01:56 PM
Big.

Slightly smaller than Mary's ego but still big.

Also as much as I approve,I think it's considered racist to call Iranians, "monkeys".

Even Ruskies are rated as "space dog" by piercerseth's info graphic. :idunno:

megabyteme
03-07-2014, 02:08 PM
Way to go Voyager I. Seek knowledge, buddy... :happy:

pythoncancer
03-07-2014, 10:19 PM
Thank you for sharing nice app piercerseth

Artemis
03-08-2014, 01:24 AM
Thank you for sharing nice app @piercerseth

Hint: this is a bbcode forum :blink: not twitter. :frusty:

IdolEyes787
03-08-2014, 02:10 AM
#Bummed that's means there will be no Vine videos.:(

mrtoke09
03-08-2014, 02:20 AM
8 half inches ......:whistling

pythoncancer
03-08-2014, 05:53 AM
Thanks so how to tag on bbcode ? command line user ?

Thank you for sharing nice app @piercerseth

Hint: this is a bbcode forum :blink: not twitter. :frusty:

paladin82
03-08-2014, 07:08 AM
Very Very BIG!!!:cool:
And the Monkeys currently lead the would in executions!! Bad Monkeys!!

rajun50
03-15-2014, 03:53 AM
If the universe were scaled down to the size of Earth, the Earth would be so small that you couldn't see it with a microscope. So yeah, big would be an understatement.

mjmacky
03-17-2014, 04:33 PM

Just like my ego, space is expanding at an accelerating rate.

Biggles
03-23-2014, 08:58 PM

Not that big I suppose but I wouldn't want to have to give it two coats.

TheFoX
03-24-2014, 06:43 PM

But which one is bigger?

mjmacky
03-31-2014, 08:09 AM

But which one is bigger?

Your mom

TheFoX
03-31-2014, 10:55 PM
But which one is bigger?

Your mom

Answer the question.

mjmacky
04-04-2014, 04:06 PM
Your mom

Answer the question.

Your mom is always the answer.

megabyteme
04-04-2014, 04:44 PM
Answer the question.

Just like the TARDIS, she seems bigger on the inside. :yup:

TheFoX
04-04-2014, 05:47 PM
What is 2 + 2?

Your mom

I see what you mean.

mjmacky
04-04-2014, 05:49 PM

Just like the TARDIS, she seems bigger on the inside. :yup:

:lol:

Today being a smiley day.

IdolEyes787
04-04-2014, 06:07 PM
I don't seem to have nearly enough cupboard space so logic tells me space is smaller than the sum of my cookware.

piercerseth
04-04-2014, 06:41 PM
I don't seem to have nearly enough cupboard space so logic tells me space is smaller than the sum of my cookware.All those celestial teapots and bric a brac no doubt.

mjmacky
04-04-2014, 09:40 PM
I don't seem to have nearly enough cupboard space so logic tells me space is smaller than the sum of my cookware.

You must be afraid of stacking.

tenfive
04-06-2014, 12:54 PM
8 half inches sounds about right

Mr. Mulder
04-07-2014, 10:35 AM

I admire your gag reflex, Sir :smilie4:

mjmacky
04-07-2014, 12:47 PM

I admire your gag reflex, Sir :smilie4:

What we learned:
4 inches is mulder's threshold for a gag-inducing erection. Whether he be the giver or receiver, we do not know, just the limit has been shared.

Mr. Mulder
04-07-2014, 01:15 PM
years ago i once pm'd skweeky a photo of my meat rod with her name written on it, true story :smilie4:

megabyteme
04-07-2014, 05:46 PM
years ago i once pm'd skweeky a photo of my meat rod with her name written on it, true story :smilie4:

Scottish food is designed to ensure their women have no gag reflexes.

mjmacky
04-07-2014, 07:12 PM

I remember reading something about tiny handwriting.

megabyteme
04-07-2014, 08:35 PM

Sadly, "skweeky" has fewer letters...

mjmacky
04-07-2014, 08:55 PM

Sadly, "skweeky" has fewer letters...

We're underselling the skill it takes to write that small at an awkward angle.

Mr. Mulder
04-07-2014, 10:20 PM
:lol: :pinch:

solarfox
05-01-2014, 09:52 AM
Space is sooo big that if you chose one direction and travel in that way billions billions years faster than light speed you will end at same place where you start.

mjmacky
05-01-2014, 03:11 PM
Space is sooo big that if you chose one direction and travel in that way billions billions years faster than light speed you will end at same place where you start.

Sounds more like the progress you make in life

fossi
05-22-2014, 05:46 AM
We can't tell, really. Like a ship in the empty ocean, astronomers on Earth can turn their telescopes to peer 13.8 billion light-years in every direction, which puts Earth inside of an observable sphere with a radius of 13.8 billion light-years. The word "observable" is key; the sphere limits what scientists can see but not what is there.

But though the sphere appears almost 28 billion light-years in diameter, it is far larger. Scientists know that the universe is expanding. Thus, while scientists might see a spot that lay 13.8 billion light-years from Earth at the time of the Big Bang, the universe has continued to expand over its lifetime. Today, that same spot is 46 billion light-years away, making the diameter of the observable universe a sphere around 92 billion light-years.

g2thes
05-24-2014, 09:31 PM
Space may not be infinitely big, but it's so big that you would never know the difference. It's so big that anything that could logically exist must exist somewhere.

teflon05
05-24-2014, 11:30 PM
It's my opinion that since no one really knows what space is exactly, that there's no way anyone can accurately gauge how big it is. For all anyone knows, this might only be one universe in a multitude of universes. I highly doubt the question will be answered in our lifetimes, if ever.

IdolEyes787
05-25-2014, 01:48 AM
We can't tell, really. Like a ship in the empty ocean, astronomers on Earth can turn their telescopes to peer 13.8 billion light-years in every direction, which puts Earth inside of an observable sphere with a radius of 13.8 billion light-years. The word "observable" is key; the sphere limits what scientists can see but not what is there.

But though the sphere appears almost 28 billion light-years in diameter, it is far larger. Scientists know that the universe is expanding. Thus, while scientists might see a spot that lay 13.8 billion light-years from Earth at the time of the Big Bang, the universe has continued to expand over its lifetime. Today, that same spot is 46 billion light-years away, making the diameter of the observable universe a sphere around 92 billion light-years.

Space may not be infinitely big, but it's so big that you would never know the difference. It's so big that anything that could logically exist must exist somewhere.

Then again a hill of beans probably looks big to an ant,Einsteins.

gptwarrior
05-25-2014, 07:29 PM
space is endless surely cant predict size??

TheFoX
05-26-2014, 12:06 AM
space is endless surely cant predict size??

You can predict anything you want. People predict next weeks lottery numbers, what the weather is going to be over the next five days, and whether share prices will rise or fall.

A prediction is simply the opinion of someone as to how something will pan out. Many things can be predicted, based on current scientific knowledge. Since we know how fast light travels, so it is quite easy to work out the distance from one galactic object to another.

megabyteme
05-26-2014, 03:54 PM
I predict Oleg will not have secks (with another human) before the end of the universe.

IdolEyes787
05-26-2014, 04:51 PM
I read bits of Elliot Rodgers manifesto.I wouldn't be poking at OlegL if I was you.
Of course you might still be safe because apparently good looking people with satisfying sex lives are the worst offenders to this particular type of lunatic.

Btw interesting how Rodgers felt he had to "plan everything to perfection so that nothing could go wrong" and then he ended up not doing a single thing he planned.

TheFoX
05-26-2014, 06:31 PM
I asked a scientist if she could give me an idea of how vast space was, and her answer was that we take the distance from Oleg's left ear to Oleg's right ear, double it, then double it again, and that will give you the answer you seek. Just goes to show how vast the cavity in his head is. I wouldn't be surprised if the entire contents our our galaxy and all those we know of, and don't know of, would fit within the cavity with space to spare.

megabyteme
05-26-2014, 08:12 PM
Now we have a concept of size, time comes into the equation. I heard if you find the midpoint between an Englishman's dental visits, you've surpassed it. :idunno:

Something Else
05-27-2014, 01:15 PM
I reckon it's about this big.

Barbarossa
05-27-2014, 02:23 PM
Space is all sizes.

Mr. Mulder
05-27-2014, 03:02 PM
My family told me 5 and a half years ago they need their space from me and they're about 300 miles away, so that would be your answer :eyebrows:

To be even more accurate, 5 and a half years divided by 300 miles, carry the 1, times Richard Whitely then add the remainder still gives you 300 miles.

So there you have it :smilie4:

TheFoX
05-27-2014, 08:33 PM
Yeah, but that's just One Direction. (boom boom)

IdolEyes787
05-27-2014, 11:01 PM
Two hundred square feet. (http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mr-heater-9000-btu-portable-buddy-heater-0762357p.html)

scerri
07-12-2014, 05:07 PM
You should read Carl Sagans "Pale Blue Dot: Vision of the human future in space"

r2thekore
07-13-2014, 10:03 PM
I dont honestly think anyone knows

Artemis
07-13-2014, 10:46 PM

Does your head whistle while you walk? :blink:

megabyteme
07-13-2014, 11:26 PM

Does your head whistle while you walk? :blink:

He adds to this conversation with the same substance that hangs between the galaxies. :idunno:

Speedo
08-21-2014, 07:15 PM
space is a little bit smaller than my dick!

TheFoX
08-21-2014, 10:07 PM
space is a little bit smaller than my dick!

No wonder it is so fucking tight around here. :huh:

Speedo
08-21-2014, 11:26 PM
you can't make a play on that? fox my ass, more like a stone with opinions.

TheFoX
08-22-2014, 08:14 PM

I can make a play on anything I fucking like. As for foxing your arse, I'll leave that to someone with experience in anal penetration, and a cock small enough not to split you in two.

pyroinc
01-16-2015, 01:49 PM

I can make a play on anything I fucking like. As for foxing your arse, I'll leave that to someone with experience in anal penetration, and a cock small enough not to split you in two.

Ah ... yes ..., good old science

happyhead
01-29-2015, 09:50 PM
well i will ave to think on this one?

Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour
That's orbiting at nineteen miles a second, so it's reckoned
A sun that is the source of all our power

The sun and you and me and all the stars that we can see
Are moving at a million miles a day
In an outer spiral arm, at forty thousand miles an hour
Of the galaxy we call the 'milky way'

Our galaxy itself contains a hundred billion stars
It's a hundred thousand light years side to side
It bulges in the middle, sixteen thousand light years thick
But out by us, it's just three thousand light years wide

We're thirty thousand light years from galactic central point
We go 'round every two hundred million years
And our galaxy is only one of millions of billions
In this amazing and expanding universe

The universe itself keeps on expanding and expanding
In all of the directions it can whizz
As fast as it can go, the speed of light, you know
Twelve million miles a minute and that's the fastest speed there is

So remember, when you're feeling very small and insecure
How amazingly unlikely is your birth
And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bother all down here on Earth
:)

lance55433
01-31-2015, 03:25 PM
so space is big??

TheFoX
02-01-2015, 10:49 AM
well i will ave to think on this one?

Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour
That's orbiting at nineteen miles a second, so it's reckoned
A sun that is the source of all our power

The sun and you and me and all the stars that we can see
Are moving at a million miles a day
In an outer spiral arm, at forty thousand miles an hour
Of the galaxy we call the 'milky way'

Our galaxy itself contains a hundred billion stars
It's a hundred thousand light years side to side
It bulges in the middle, sixteen thousand light years thick
But out by us, it's just three thousand light years wide

We're thirty thousand light years from galactic central point
We go 'round every two hundred million years
And our galaxy is only one of millions of billions
In this amazing and expanding universe

The universe itself keeps on expanding and expanding
In all of the directions it can whizz
As fast as it can go, the speed of light, you know
Twelve million miles a minute and that's the fastest speed there is

So remember, when you're feeling very small and insecure
How amazingly unlikely is your birth
And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bother all down here on Earth
:)

Speed is relative to a given point. If it is a fixed point, you can calculate speed accurately, with reference to that given point. If the point is fluid, floating, or otherwise mobile, then speed is more of a differential. Two cars are traveling at 50 mph. If they are traveling in the same direction, then the speed of the first vehicle relative to the second vehicle is 0 mph, yet if they are traveling in exact opposite directions, either towards or away from each other, the speed of the first vehicle relative to the second is then 100 mph.

The problem with your own calculations is that much of it is assumptions. The assumption that a galactic central point exists, and that it exists where you think it exists can easily distort your own figures. Remember than spacial calculations are based on current experience and our observations of the galaxy from this little part of it. No one from Earth has actually mapped the galaxy, so what we believe about our galaxy is purely based on mathematics, and not hard evidence.

Our scientists may be good, but they are not THAT good. After all, if they knew everything, what would be the point in continual education and advancement. New concepts and ideas are discovered every single day. We are currently on the eve of understanding DNA and how it affects our growth; it won't be long before our scientists will master DNA and modify it, for better or worse.

Soon, we'll send a man to Mars, and start populating the Moon. All this is to be achieved, yet it is within our sights. How many hundreds of years before we finally explore the outer sections of our solar system? After all, it took us thousands of years just to explore this planet, and there are still areas unexplored by man.

themattler
02-05-2015, 11:28 AM
Even if not infinite, at it's borders it's expanding faster than the speed of light so there are places we will never ever be able to reach

usekitty
02-06-2015, 03:41 AM
really really really big ;)

TheFoX
02-06-2015, 09:35 AM
Even if not infinite, at it's borders it's expanding faster than the speed of light so there are places we will never ever be able to reach

Yes, but there are places on Earth that we, as individuals, would never be able to reach. If we started exploring at 18 years of age, after a basic education, and providing money was no object, do you think we could experience everything this world has to offer? Do you even know your own country from top to tail? Besides, the majority of space is simply empty, devoid of everything including an atmosphere. Why bother with all this useless space.

IdolEyes787
02-06-2015, 03:27 PM
Yeah I see you're point.Like just the other day I went to this new restaurant downtown.Totally not worth it.

ckrit
02-06-2015, 03:57 PM
really really really big ;)

That's what she said.

Sandk
02-07-2015, 08:58 AM
really really big... really?

zerosquared
02-07-2015, 01:43 PM
Infinite.

TheFoX
02-08-2015, 09:49 AM
Infinite.

Can anyone comprehend what it must be like to set off in one direction and to never come to an end. Imagine living for billions of years and traveling at the speed of light, or faster, and never encountering a border?

I think the word, 'infinite', doesn't even come close to describing the universe. I mean, if you set off on foot around our globe, and could walk on water, even though you would walk forever in a circle, you would still pass the same spot you started at time and time again. In space, you'd never pass that same spot.

It is quite feasible to expect other life within this massive universe, and to also expect that these other life forms never to meet. The vastness of space is beyond comprehension.

megabyteme
02-08-2015, 10:27 AM
It's not that the universe is so big, we are just really small. Think about that.

IdolEyes787
02-08-2015, 03:35 PM
Substitute "universe" with "wife'' and you've just described your sex life.

megabyteme
02-08-2015, 06:33 PM
My sexual motto: It's not about her. :no:

TheFoX
02-08-2015, 06:54 PM
Substitute "universe" with "wife'' and you've just described your sex life.

Why did you have to be so mean? You denigrate yourself with this lowest level of whit, which is something we should not have to put up with. We expect more of you, and you should be complying with our needs, being ex staff and all that.

IdolEyes787
02-08-2015, 08:16 PM
Ignoring the fact that I wasn't being mean(Don't believe me?Then try asking the person that little bon mot was aimed at) ,you could make a good argument that your tedious and antiseptic posts bother/disappoint/don't comply with my needs me equally as much so I think the best response to your concerns is "physician heal thyself".

TheFoX
02-08-2015, 11:14 PM
Ignoring the fact that I wasn't being mean(Don't believe me?Then try asking the person that little bon mot was aimed at) ,you could make a good argument that your tedious and antiseptic posts bother/disappoint/don't comply with my needs me equally as much so I think the best response to your concerns is "physician heal thyself".

Trying to understand that mishmash takes quite some effort. If I read between the lines, what you are saying is 'Sorry'.

megabyteme
02-09-2015, 04:33 AM

Trying to understand that mishmash takes quite some effort. If I read between the lines, what you are saying is 'Sorry'.

English isn't your first language, is it? :no:

TheFoX
02-09-2015, 10:07 AM

You are so right, as usual. Where do you find your clarity of thought?

megabyteme
02-09-2015, 03:49 PM

Well, you do leave frequent clues. :D

TheFoX
02-09-2015, 08:26 PM

Well, you do leave frequent clues. :D

So, you admit to picking my brains, then?

Isn't it about time you started thinking for your self? :whistling

gooberling
03-03-2015, 04:41 AM
Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.

MonkeyBusiness
03-03-2015, 09:05 AM
Space is big, but SPACE is even bigger :rolleyes:

TheFoX
03-03-2015, 07:00 PM
Space is big, but SPACE is even bigger :rolleyes:

Yeah, but it is not as big as S P A C E.

peterpickel
03-09-2015, 10:47 PM

EvaBraun
09-23-2020, 11:52 AM
The Universe is approximately equal to 3.5⋅1080 m3 or 350 quinvigintillion m3, which is approximately equal to 8.2⋅10180 Planck volumes.

j2k4
10-03-2020, 12:03 PM
Bah.

I have space right in my backyard.

IdolEyes787
10-03-2020, 05:55 PM
Bah.

When you scream in your backyard, does it make a sound?

megabyteme
10-05-2020, 08:49 AM
Bah.

He's an admitted Republican. He makes Mexicans do the screaming in his backyard. As an American, I can confirm that they make no sound at all.

sallysparr0w
10-11-2020, 05:13 PM
There is a theory that what we see in the sky every night and what astronauts have identified is the old universe. We are billions of years behind the real universe. Therefore, it is impossible to know exactly what the universe really is)

j2k4
10-14-2020, 08:33 PM
There is a theory that what we see in the sky every night and what astronauts have identified is the old universe. We are billions of years behind the real universe. Therefore, it is impossible to know exactly what the universe really is)

Suffice it to say, our universe - such as it may or may not be - is...I forget, now.

We won't likely know for sure anytime soon, so.

j2k4
10-14-2020, 08:37 PM

He's an admitted Republican. He makes Mexicans do the screaming in his backyard. As an American, I can confirm that they make no sound at all.

I reject the term Republican; it is too round, and limiting, too.

I am a pure-hearted Renaissance Conservative.

The Mexicans I know are all honest, hard-working fellows just like me.

The ones not-worth-knowing I leave to my Democrat urban brethren.

IdolEyes787
10-14-2020, 09:43 PM
"The lie that was capitalism, in truth, produced just the opposite of what it promised people. The prole never became a capitalist. The capitalist never became a civilized and democratic person. Everyone did not have a better life. Worst of all, the winners were not the noble and just. They were, and are, the indecent and obscene, the disgraceful and the predatory — the Trumps of the world".

megabyteme
10-16-2020, 07:54 AM
Whatever, commie

anon
10-16-2020, 10:35 AM
Funny, yesterday YouTube recommended this to me even though it had no relation to the video I was watching and I have personalization turned off (on a clean browser session).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwhQzn0epbk

IdolEyes787
10-16-2020, 12:30 PM
Whatever, commie There are no bad political systems, only bad people in charge of them. :flowers:

IdolEyes787
10-16-2020, 12:38 PM
Funny, yesterday YouTube recommended this to me even though it had no relation to the video I was watching and I have personalization turned off (on a clean browser session).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwhQzn0epbk

I think maybe Google saw the 3D tentacle porn and said suggest something else animated. :unsure:

anon
10-16-2020, 12:51 PM
3D tentacle porn

That was just a phase :dry:

j2k4
10-16-2020, 09:17 PM
Whatever, commie There are no bad political systems, only bad people in charge of them. :flowers:

And there plenty of bad people.

Not many such as myself are willing to admit communism is the best system ideated by man - trouble is, the wheels come right the fuck off when you use humans to run it.

umidzevs
12-11-2020, 12:21 PM
https://spacegid.com/razmer-vselennoy.html Here you can find out the approximate dimensions