PDA

View Full Version : Explosiion of Encrypted/Scambled Posting have...

Beck38
03-08-2014, 02:28 AM
Over the past couple of years, at least since the demise of a couple of high-profile indexing sites, so what do you thing has been the result?

You can choose multiple answers, and comment to the thread, I just wanted to get a good laugh, especially as it appears that better than 90% of what is posted on usenet is indeed scrambled/encrypted in one manner or another these days, and looks to me like the 'crack-down' on those indexing sites has pretty much backfired on the DMCA'ers.

piercerseth
03-08-2014, 08:47 AM
I can't speak to the DMCA outifts, but as to the newer blood:

The sites and/or the over reliance of automation has created a population who fundamentally has zero understanding of how the fuck usenet works. The amount of spam has certainly (apparently) increased, again thanks to n00b naivete. September again.

You think it's bad here, head over to reddit and you'll cringe at what's posted. Bless the senior members there for the repetitive handholding they put up with, but eventually some tough love is required. For every insighful post or meaty discourse you'll get a dozen "what's the best indexer/best provider/why doesn't sab work/how I usenet?" Then again /r/trackers is filled with the same brainiacs. Maybe it's endemic to that site.

I think long-term the copyright owners realize how much they utterly waste in frivolous enforcement. How ineffective it really is. If/when they figure out how to leverage the existing infrastucture to deliver content, and cheaply, everybody wins.

Beck38
03-08-2014, 02:40 PM
Actually, I tend to think that the workings (and content) of usenet today is maybe not quite as 'open' and nice as it was in the heyday a couple years ago, but it still pretty darn rich in content and such.

I never have any problems whatsoever it getting VERY popular 'premium' content; just the other day, due to a rather good article in the recent issue of 'Rolling Stone', I caught up with the series 'True Detective' and had no problem whatsoever in getting all the previous season 1 episodes, and have never had any problems tracking down and getting any Bill Mahr's 'Real Time' over the years.

And so far as any recent movies (released on Bluray), no problem there even with stuff that seem to be stuck on 'very long wait' in my Netflix que, with multiple full BD postings galore.

And I tend to think (because of the wealth of 'in the clear' or near 'in the clear' postings that a fair percentage of what seems to clog up the binary newsgroups are the pro-wrestling. p0rn, and the occasional low-rent tv crowd, but who knows. I seem to get way more 'in the clear' stuff that never seems to be targeted than I can reasonably suck down.

Tons of folks seem to have 'visited' the thread, but not 'voted'. Oh, well.

sandman_1
03-08-2014, 04:13 PM
I can't speak to the DMCA outifts, but as to the newer blood:

The sites and/or the over reliance of automation has created a population who fundamentally has zero understanding of how the fuck usenet works.

+1 This.

It is that more or less which, I would say, has caused these issues to begin with. DMCA takedowns are just a symptom of the dumbing down of Usenet for the masses.

piercerseth
03-08-2014, 10:12 PM
Actually, I tend to think that the workings (and content) of usenet today is maybe not quite as 'open' and nice as it was in the heyday a couple years ago, but it still pretty darn rich in content and such.
Agreed. Maxes out my connect everytime and speaking of, I just grabbed a 2022 day old post yesterday. 100% complete. Can't beat that.

EDIT: Personal best is up to 2033d.

Beck38
03-08-2014, 11:07 PM
I just about do that (4+ year old stuff) all the time; the biggest problem (that I've commented on here many times) is the lack of decent multi-year indexing sites. The stuff is sitting there in the servers, it's just that knowing it is is the biggest drawback these days. Luckily, I grabbed the nzb/nfo's a long time ago.

But I see 'noobs' here (interestingly, a lot of them have 'join' days years back but only a handful of postings if that) all the time. I guess that they stop in simply to grab some nzb's and off they go. That's fine. But there are a lot of folks that 'assume' auto-magic retrieval, or maybe simply don't have the time to spend searching for what they want or are looking for.

But as to the indexing sites, I'm still mulling over posting a ton of old (3+ or more years back) nzb's that would 'refresh' those indexers.

freelance86
03-13-2014, 01:10 AM
But I see 'noobs' here (interestingly, a lot of them have 'join' days years back but only a handful of postings if that) all the time. I guess that they stop in simply to grab some nzb's and off they go. That's fine.

i cant even remember joining away back in 2010, but i must have for one reason or another.

i just find ever since the demise of nzbmatrix and the introduction of screwed up filenames that most public indexers suck and dont list alot of the late 2012 early 2013 content. i did give up on usenet for 6 months after nzbmatrix and the flood of takedowns at that time on just about every tv show that i watched.

if your determined like i was a simple google search on what your after can have a positive result, for instance i just couldnt accept that sons of anarchy season 3 and 4 1080p (regular posting) were there but not 1 and 2 (none of the 10+ indexers i checked had it) and after awhile i eventually found them (scrambled posting). 450 days old and 100% complete, i was so happy :) and if it was that hard for me to find then good luck to the antipiracy hounds...

p.s. if anybody has a beat on sons of anarchy s05 1080p bluray classic (complete) then please let me know :D

firebirduk
03-13-2014, 01:25 AM
But I see 'noobs' here (interestingly, a lot of them have 'join' days years back but only a handful of postings if that) all the time.

That sounds like me (well, not the noob bit - used to use usenet back in uni in '92 on a vax system, all command line stuff - manually joining/unencoding files) - a lot easier these days :)

Don't tend to post too much on forums, but getting better at posting on here :)

Beck38
03-13-2014, 01:27 PM
if your determined like i was a simple google search on what your after can have a positive result

If (sometimes a big IF) some open site where listings are shown, even if it takes an account to d/l the nzb, the the google hoover will have sucked it up; and if there hasn't been some DMCA bitch logged at google, then it will show up (and if it has, you'll see the google DMCA linik).

I've been trying to tell everyone with scrambled file-name to post a 'clear' nfo so that it can be easily 'found' on any of the open indexers (binsearch/nzbindex et.al.), but it seems that it's another 'suggestion' that has fallen on deaf ears.

When things were looking bad (when 'the matrix' went off line), everyone pretty much went into panic mode, over reacting big time. Now, if one goes into the binary HD groups now (a.b.blu-ray, a.b.hdtv, et. al.) it seems that the ratio of scramble file-names to 'in the clear' is about 90+:1. Yet over at a.b.teevee (which it seemed was those who were moaning the loudest at the time) there is virtually no scrambled naming whatsoever. And a LOT of the postings are straight off premium pay-cable.

So I'd say that overall, for those doing movies and such, the over-reaction is still there, even though at the time I proposed (and a few have gone that route) of easily 'googled' naming convention along with what I call 'open' encryption. I continue my 'record' of having NEVER had any material DMCA'ed, even at Mr. Astra, in the 15+ years I've had a fairly decent connection.

And I continually check things all the time.

I'll bet Sea5 of Sons of Anarchy is out there somewhere, as it's been out on BR for bit bit over 6 months now (and there's no telling how many folks did a 'capture' of it off-air/cable/satellite). Again, if folks would simply post the nfo 'in the clear' you'd know it 'exists' and put more effort (or maybe find more 'hints') into finding it,

freelance86
03-15-2014, 02:59 AM
if your determined like i was a simple google search on what your after can have a positive result

If (sometimes a big IF) some open site where listings are shown, even if it takes an account to d/l the nzb, the the google hoover will have sucked it up; and if there hasn't been some DMCA bitch logged at google, then it will show up (and if it has, you'll see the google DMCA linik).

odd thing about it was i searched for the scene release and it took me to nzbclub with a completely hashed post (fundamental style), so i have no idea how because absolutely nowhere did it say what it was... not that im complaining i found what i was after.

I'll bet Sea5 of Sons of Anarchy is out there somewhere, as it's been out on BR for bit bit over 6 months now (and there's no telling how many folks did a 'capture' of it off-air/cable/satellite). Again, if folks would simply post the nfo 'in the clear' you'd know it 'exists' and put more effort (or maybe find more 'hints') into finding it,

i found the 720p easily but i was after the 1080p for storage, some helpful chap sent me a pm with it so yes it is out there... but as i originally said, just damn hard to find.

i get where your coming from with the nfo and i dont understand why they remove it from posts in a.b.etc as once you get the par2 file you see what it is anyway. i suppose its just one extra layer of concealment as on raw indexers you can view the nfo without chucking the nzb in a newsreader.

Beck38
03-15-2014, 05:52 AM
What I'm getting at with the 'in the clear' nfo posting, is that there need not be a 'direct' link 'per se' to the scrambled filename, just make it take a couple of nano-watts of brainpower to 'make the linkage' so to speak.

Here's an example I can simply pull out of the air:

NFO:

Title: Brainstorm (1983)

URL: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007NR9WBG/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1OK4W9GD20L6&coliid=I2R8KSNYAO0UTP

I could put in several references, but will keep it to that one. Now, what on that public page would be a unique identifier that could be used as a 'scrambled' filename, and would be self-identifying in BOTH directions (take the scrambled name and it points to the title page, or take the title page and it points to the scrambled file-name)?

chakara
03-15-2014, 07:48 AM
Well I guess I'm what you call a noob, as I've been using usenet through .nzbs for 5 years but don't know much else than copy/paste a release name in nzbclub, check "Search in nfo" and click on Search ....

It's been getting harder to find most stuff although thanks to indexing sites I've been able to download everything I want. I don't know what I'd do if they were to close down.

DMCA takedowns have an effect. Right now I'm downloading the first episode of the last season of Treme (which I consider "quality programming") and it's been targeted. I think I'll have enough pars, but I might not.

I can see that stuff is there but I can't get to it :/

I was just looking for the movie The Past (720p bluray). It was apparently posted 143d ago as there's a clear nfo for it. I've tried and look on the group where the nfo was posted, there are scrambled 6ish GB posts that could be it but I come up with PWed stuff.
(the movie was posted a few hours ago in clear but that's not the point here)

So yeah right now I can still use usenet to get what I want, but how long is that gonna last ?
For the first time in 5 years i've moved from a yearly plan to a quarterly one.

freelance86
03-15-2014, 12:58 PM
i guess the easier they make it for us the easier they make it to get dmca. i had a couple of hard drives fail about 6 months ago so im trying to back track terabytes upon terabytes of stuff and when your looking at easily 500 or so movies it just becomes a complete nightmare with the hashed postings.

i have absolutely no issues with newer stuff (thor the dark world, the hunger games catching fire, popular tv shows etc) and you expect those to be hashed and indexed on even a basic newznab website, but with the slew of indexers that came and went since nzbmatrix they just dont index everything (which contradicts their claim to be the "best"), or limit you to so much retention, or force you to subscribe and use bitcoin and whatnot.

kind of turned into a rant but anywho...

Beck38
03-15-2014, 02:19 PM
From what I see, the 'large' postings (like in a.b.blu-ray and such) seem to be heavily 'scrambled', yet the smaller ones (a.b.teevee and such) are rarely, that's kinda my point now. Yet it was the pro-wrestling capture folks on a.b.teevee that were squealing the loudest a year or so ago when the organized crime crowd dmca'ed a whole bunch of the high-priced ppv pro-wrestling postings, and everyone seemed to over-react.

Even I did a bit, but the minimal steps I took seem to be working just fine, thank you. Then again, a lot of folks saw an opportunity to pull their efforts into either a money-making venture or 'build an empire' scheme.

I still seem to get more than enough to keep things going, and re-post as much as possible, from 'private' scramblers to my scheme.