PDA

View Full Version : Openoffice.org 1.0.2

Lamsey
02-11-2003, 03:26 PM
Anyone out there use OpenOffice.org?

I want to start using it but I'm having trouble getting it to convert .doc files perfectly. The text doesn't always come out the right size...

If you want to try OpenOffice.org, then have a look at my page (check my sig) - it includes a link to the .zip for OpenOffice.

4play
02-11-2003, 04:59 PM
there has been a big thing going on with the open source comunity worrying that m$ are going to use the dmca to enforce the patents on it's file types.
so open office and the such will probably have to remove all support for converting .doc files. :(

this has not happened yet.

sorry never had the pleasure of using open office but im getting a twitch now to go and download it. :lol:

Lamsey
02-11-2003, 10:18 PM
m$ really are a bunch of greedy bastards... as if their monopoly isn't big enough already.

I'd recommend openoffice.org, but I'm still looking for a solution to the problem I mentioned above.
Anyone have any ideas?

Lamsey
02-11-2003, 10:24 PM
I suppose some more details would help...

I have some .doc files which are set up so that everything is split into entire pages of text. For an example, see my computer pricelist on my page (check my sig).

The problem is that although OpenOffice reads the margins, font sizes, etc. correctly, the text is displayed too big; ie. a page-worth of text suddenly becomes a page-and-two-lines worth. This means it looks messy, and it f*@#s up things like my pricelist for printing.

There seems to be a problem with the font scaling or the way the style is interpreted... any ideas?

Lamsey
02-12-2003, 03:20 PM
Maybe it's to do with widow/orphan control?

Someone please help, this is driving me nuts.

Lamsey
02-17-2003, 01:53 PM
Sorry to keep posting, but I really need help with this.
I'm building someone a computer and I want to give them OpenOffice rather than an unlicensed copy of MSOffice.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Lamsey
02-19-2003, 11:09 PM
I've written a page detailing this problem with some screenshots.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stacymouse/oo...zoomproblem.htm (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stacymouse/ooozoomproblem.htm)

Don't view it on 56k unless you don't mind downloading some big JPEGs.