PDA

View Full Version : 2 Par2, but only 1?

kemet
03-18-2014, 05:20 PM
Hello everyone. I'm still mostly a noob when it comes to Usenet.

I've downloaded a binary, but one of the rars is corrupted. I understand par2 files can be used to fix rars, but this nzb doesn't seem to contain enough par2 files to do so.

I've searched multiple engines, and they all report the nzb contains two par2 files, but I only see one. NZBClub even says there's enough to repair the file, but still no second par2 file.

So either I'm misunderstanding something, or there's been an error.

I can post links, but not sure if that's against the rules or not.

Beck38
03-20-2014, 01:56 PM
'the fault, dear usenet user, is probably not it your thinking, but in the lack of parity parts posted'.

Back in 'the day', the basic tenet of repair pars was 20%, then as the servers got better (and the postings, particularly 50GB HD types) a lot of folks decided that only a couple of percent of pars were needed. Bad move. The absolute minimum should never have been less than 10%, and the smaller the archive, that percentage should be much higher.

But folks simply don't learn. You're probably figured out by now that you're 'stuck' and unless the archive is re-posted, it's gone forever.

With the speeds available these days, there is simply no excuse for posters to not add in enough pars to cover just about all eventualities, and with NZBcc, the keep an eye on their postings at least in the first couple of weeks or so.