PDA

View Full Version : Usenet providers with the least takedowns?

danteism
03-26-2014, 03:06 AM
I'm rarely downloading stuff the moment it's up and am usually downloading older stuff anyway so I'm specifically after a provider with super low takedowns.

Been using tweaknews ever since Astraweb started getting hit hard with takedowns but lately I'm hitting more and more unrecoverable/corrupted downloads with them so I'm wondering if there's anyone else better suited for my personal needs.

PastTense
03-28-2014, 03:55 AM
The consensus seems to be that you should have at least two providers. One idea for a secondary provider is an obscure European one, as they tend to do slower takedowns. But I haven't looked into this so can't give you any names.

vigor5000
03-28-2014, 04:00 AM
I dunno what your downloading or how long ago you used Astraweb,but for me I just signed up and there good just cant max my connection at 17MB/s all time.

juicy269
03-30-2014, 02:06 AM
I personally use Newshosting and have very rarely had trouble with takedowns.

Beck38
03-30-2014, 04:20 AM
I dunno what your downloading or how long ago you used Astraweb,but for me I just signed up and there good just cant max my connection at 17MB/s all time.

You don't say WHICH Astra plant you're connecting to, OR the route your traffic takes to get there. And I would say that anyone who has 136Mb/s (that's what you say with 17MB/s of bandwidth) would probably be running into some kind of choke point in the public internet along the way, not to mention flooding out the front end of the usenet plant.

Take a look at the route your data is taking.

Virtually all plants are served with DMCA notices from the pro-wrestling/organized crime groups at the same time. There is very very little other than that which gets 'hit'.

chakara
03-30-2014, 08:29 AM
Tweaknews was the best but it's getting hit hard those days.

I tried to download Veep S01 in 720p bluray, gone.
The season 3 of Girls is almost wiped out as well.
Most seasons of Treme are almost beyong repair.
True.Detective.S01E02.720p.HDTV.DD5.1.x264-NTb from almost 19d ago : 1207 of 1193, so enough pars to repairs ATM.

Granted, those are all HBO shows.

I also tried downloading Primal.Fear.1996.1080p.BluRay.x264-CiNEFiLE from 150d ago and it was gone.
If they are now targeting "old" movies as well ... That would suck.

I'd say that Tweaknews is still you're best chance right now, but it may not last long.

Beck38
03-30-2014, 12:25 PM
True.Detective.S01E02.720p.HDTV.DD5.1.x264-NTb from almost 19d ago : 1207 of 1193, so enough pars to repairs ATM.

I just 'learned' about 'True Detective' a couple weeks ago (due to a writeup in Rolling Stone) so I went back and got the entire Season 1 (ep. 1-8) with zero errors whatsoever (and the is was from Astra/US). When things are 'taken down' it will be completely gone, not 'partially' missing. If something is 80% missing from a plant then there's a problem with that plant (which Astra/US had serious problems but which after they corrected a bit over a week ago, has been running virtually perfect since).

FYI: the only plant that is 'supposed' to be different from this (although I haven't been able to confirm it so... the jury is still out on that) is Giganews. Again, supposedly, things that are taken down there are still show 'available' with NZBcc. But I haven't been able to confirm that whatsoever, and my GN account is the 'lowest' kind so don't have much bits to play around with.

Of course, there were several folks posting this series, in various formats and compression, the ones I 'chose' to get was 'Killers' in 720P/mkv format; since I don't erase the nzb's I'll rerun them through NZBcc later on today and re-check if they're still 'there' though.

And, I just got this weeks 'Real Time'/HBO and if the nzb time is correct, it was posted on Astra/EU about 4+ hours ago, and I got it off Astra/US with zero missing. So if my brain can do GMT to my time zone (it's too damn early, but I have to get up and take DRUGS or I'll be taking an early dirt nap) but I brought up a time zone URL thingy and it looks like I was right.

So if the HBO folks are 'on the ball', it would have been hit. And like 'True Detective' I have all the nzb's so I'll be able to re-check past things. But I really think that they are all still there, the ones whoever tried to d/l were simply hosed on the upload.

chakara
03-30-2014, 01:39 PM
I've never come across a post that was "completely gone". GoT is being taken down and it's always only partially missing, you can still get pieces a year after it was posted.

About TD, I'm talking about the repost from 19d of the HTDV 720p version from NTB.
I haven't been able to download ep 5 and 6, the rest had enough par to repair. I used Tweaknews and have a block thecubenet as "back-up" (it's more of a block to get 1100d+ stuff but it's set as back-up).

If this post is still on AW that would be quite a turnaround.

Automerged but posted 2h later :

Well now i can say that i've come across a post that was "completely gone". I just tried to download True.Detective.S01E05.720p.HDTV.DD5.1.x264-NTb posted by canuck 19d ago using only thecubenet.
I came away with nothing at all, the post was indeed completely gone.

Using Tweaknews I came up with 1305 out of 1309 blocks.

So take downs on Highwinds = post completely gone but on Tweaknews it's "only" a partial removal. The result is the same though.

nntpjunkie
03-30-2014, 04:59 PM
Lots of the most popular shows, can be grabbed easily a few days after they air, they of course get hit with takedowns the day they come out although even with that, setting up automation will help you stay ahead of the curve. I am using Newshosting as well with Eweka as my backup. The Euro-plants seem to store some content longer than the U.S. plants which makes sense of course. I guess I've been lucky like Beck because I really haven't had any issue getting content, granted there's a little more leg work involved, but you can still find anything and everything unless it's something really obscure or pro wrestling or UFC. Even with that, you can probably find most of it a few days after it airs...

vigor5000
03-30-2014, 08:14 PM
I usually connect to the US server but switch servers when I have problems.Sometimes I can max out my connection and sometimes I get slow speeds 300Kb/s to 6Mb/s while using 10-18connections.Last night I was trying to download a 1 hr old post and it was going at less then a MB/s, tried 3-4hrs later was able to get 10mb/s-13mb/s.I was having problems getting the True Detective NTB releases to before,but after switching to Astra was able to get all but the 8th episode in english.

Beck38
03-30-2014, 11:02 PM
I guess I've been lucky like Beck

Hey, don't ding things up...haha really, I've spent all day today beating on a h/w problem (that turned into a s/w problem as well, it's going to take another couple hours IF IF IF the s/w guide is correct).

But I don't usually go after captures and such, except I get ansy for 'Real Time' on Friday night/Saturday morning, but it took the 4-6+ folks (in various formats) who capture and post an extra day this week. Maybe I just got lucky.

But I haven't had time to even start up a NZBcc test yet, I'll try to start in the next hour or so.

As I've said too many times, I post 3TB+ a month on average, have been for at least 4 years now, and before that I had DSL (ouch!) and did maybe 100MB a month. But through the last 14 years, zero takedowns, even when NOT using any 'obfuscation', and really minimal over the last 3+ years. But I do movies/tvseries only (off bluray) and maybe it isn't targeted that much.

Again, I'll re-run those nzb's.

garr31
03-30-2014, 11:12 PM
I have Giganews and have had frequent problems with takedowns as of late.

Beck38
03-31-2014, 12:31 AM
Well, that didn't take long..! Virtually all of them are 0% on Astra/US, 2-3 are still 100% or close to it on Astra/EU.

And yes, they are 'zero'. I was thinking, it's possible that when they wipe it out, they may 'miss' some of the 'extra' files like the nzb's or SFV's or other such stuff that were rendered pretty obsolete with Par2.

Checked back on some of the 'Real Time' and several weeks are still there, bet they all are.

What's interesting on the 'TD', is that it's 'in the pipeline' for Bluray release, no date set, but I'll bet it'll be there by the end of this Summer.

vigor5000
03-31-2014, 01:16 AM
Well, that didn't take long..! Virtually all of them are 0% on Astra/US, 2-3 are still 100% or close to it on Astra/EU.

And yes, they are 'zero'. I was thinking, it's possible that when they wipe it out, they may 'miss' some of the 'extra' files like the nzb's or SFV's or other such stuff that were rendered pretty obsolete with Par2.

Checked back on some of the 'Real Time' and several weeks are still there, bet they all are.

What's interesting on the 'TD', is that it's 'in the pipeline' for Bluray release, no date set, but I'll bet it'll be there by the end of this Summer.

You tried the ones posted by Canuck?

Beck38
03-31-2014, 05:06 AM

Don't know which ones you're talking about; did a search for TD w/ 'canuck' and came up zero on nzbindex. I've got the 'NTb''s que'd up and will run them in a bit.

Nope. All zero'ed out.

Now I know that the folks posting like this 'completely in the clear' are figuring that folks wanted their 'warez' will have an auto-setup to grab the things right after posting, that they are in a 'race' with the folks running the takedowns. Now, at the end of the day, who do you thing is going to win that race?

If they would utilize the minimum of obfuscation, I'll bet that their posts would last pretty much forever. Of course, posting in a group other than something with 'tv' in the title might also help. But apparently, they are running this race they cannot, in the end, win, and meanwhile don't really 'share' anything but to a 'select' group that can setup the grab their stuff.

vigor5000
03-31-2014, 06:02 AM

Don't know which ones you're talking about; did a search for TD w/ 'canuck' and came up zero on nzbindex. I've got the 'NTb''s que'd up and will run them in a bit.

Nope. All zero'ed out.

Now I know that the folks posting like this 'completely in the clear' are figuring that folks wanted their 'warez' will have an auto-setup to grab the things right after posting, that they are in a 'race' with the folks running the takedowns. Now, at the end of the day, who do you thing is going to win that race?

If they would utilize the minimum of obfuscation, I'll bet that their posts would last pretty much forever. Of course, posting in a group other than something with 'tv' in the title might also help. But apparently, they are running this race they cannot, in the end, win, and meanwhile don't really 'share' anything but to a 'select' group that can setup the grab their stuff.

Look for a 19 day post and try again.

chakara
03-31-2014, 07:31 AM
canuck@suck (ilikeboys) on a.b.teevee 20d ago.

Just tried another HBO show, Looking. Missing 17 out of 185 of s01e01.

Lots of the most popular shows, can be grabbed easily a few days after they air, they of course get hit with takedowns the day they come out although even with that, setting up automation will help you stay ahead of the curve. I am using Newshosting as well with Eweka as my backup. The Euro-plants seem to store some content longer than the U.S. plants which makes sense of course. I guess I've been lucky like Beck because I really haven't had any issue getting content, granted there's a little more leg work involved, but you can still find anything and everything unless it's something really obscure or pro wrestling or UFC. Even with that, you can probably find most of it a few days after it airs...

Well yeah if you download stuff the day after it was posted you're fine obviously. What I liked so much about usenet is that I could get anything anytime ...
If usenet is only good for a week after the upload then I might just as well go back to torrents :/

Beck38
03-31-2014, 02:47 PM
Well, I've been commenting about the lack of the most simplest obfuscation on tv captures, no matter what the newsgroup, for a long long time. People set up these 'catch em when it first gets posted' systems, and then are amazed when they get into a race to d/l things before they 'disappear'.

Grow a brain, people.

chakara
03-31-2014, 03:51 PM
You're missing the point.

Beck38
03-31-2014, 07:58 PM
You're missing the point.

What point? (I've had this conversation so many times both here and elsewhere, but really)

No matter what 'scheme', most of which have been tried tons of times before in the 'history' of usenet during the age of DMCA, whether it's a 'race' to grab or super-scrambled naming conventions (with or without rar encryption, with or without private pay-walled or not pay-walled web sites containing the 'keys')...

It's all just too much trouble. Twice I've figured out simple to 'decode' and simple to extract 'systems' which I've been posting virtually non-stop now for over a decade, and not ONCE has anything I've posted been targeted. Not once. How do I know this?

Because I have saved every single NZB I've ever done, and I go back and (randomly) verify that it still exists on at least the three major US-based plants (Astra/US, Giganews/US, Blocknews/US, and upon occasion Usenet-News/US) which has led me to start threads (several) of Astra or Giga going 'off the trails' upon occasion. And yes, every time, they've come back and 'fixed' their plants.

And I've helped many folks here set up either a 'clone' of my scheme or a new one but with heavy influence from it. I call my latest 'open encryption' and it's been running for just over 3 years now.

I spend a lot of time processing and posting (not to forget the s/w and h/w, I had another drive fail on me the other day (for those interested I have ONE Seagate left in my PC 'plant' all have been replaced by WD 'Black' drives) So I want my work to be there for as long as possible, and so far, it all has, back to 'day zero' of most usenet plants (~Aug08).

There it is. No, I don't do 'pro-wrestling' or p0rn. But I do a lot of 'tv' stuff that's on bluray, and I could do broadcast/cable/satellite tv if I wanted (and do for myself I've got a complete setup to do so) but I don't have 'google fiber' or any other massive upstream bandwidth, and have to allocate things carefully.

Hakzoid
04-01-2014, 11:09 PM
Newshosting is good, but every now and then I can't find the file I want. This site may help get around those issues. :)

Having a secondary provider is some advice I may look into.

sneezy
04-05-2014, 01:00 AM
I use NewsHosting too, but I find tons of stuff gets nuked within hours of posting. I've been looking for Wolf of Wall Street, Man of Steel, Girls, etc. and even the spam uploads (filled with viruses) get nuked by the provider within a few hours.

Beck38
04-05-2014, 01:28 AM
been looking for Wolf of Wall Street, Man of Steel, Girls, etc.

All too new, in the bore sight of the takedowners. Wait a month, and I'll wager that there will be a bunch (done by folks who know what they're doing) that will last pretty much forever.

chakara
04-05-2014, 01:54 PM
I downloaded s03e03 720p w/o need for any repair yesteday. It was a post w/o any obfuscation.

I'm trying s03e04, it seems to have been targeted (plain sight post). It comes up way to short, 748 of 806.

There was a DIRFIX release on this episode btw. There are a few of hidden posts for this one, do you use an auto-indexer ?

Beck38
04-05-2014, 03:04 PM
I don't have a machine I can 'dedicate' to do that kind of nonsense, to be able to accept that it would be crashed upon occasion randomly, and that any other tasks it was doing are able to recover and forget about the time wasted because of that crash.

Then again, any 'tv' or episodic fare, whether it's on pay-tv or otherwise, isn't worth it to me for the effort involved, I'll wait until it's on bluray if it's any good, the only thing in ages I've grabbed is 'True Detective' and that's only because of an article about it in Rolling Stone. The first season 'grabs' were of uniformly pretty low quality (for an hour+ or so show, ~1GB) so it was 'okay' to watch non-critically, but I'll get the BR discs when they are released in a few months.

chakara
04-05-2014, 06:10 PM
You're better than us.

We get it, thanks.

chakara
04-12-2014, 12:10 PM
I posted Treme s04 just a month ago : scrambled names but with a nfo.
It's completely gone on Highwind and it should come up way too short on Tweaknews.

So not enough to go around HBO little hands.

Beck38
04-12-2014, 02:51 PM
Questions and potential fixes to your (unknown methodology) via PM. I'll bet you simply needed to go a couple of extra steps to get better results.