PDA

View Full Version : Windows Seagate hard drive

Grumpybear2000
04-03-2014, 09:20 AM
I have Seagate 2.5 usb external hard drive problem is it does not register straight away when i plug into usb port, need to replug 2 or 3 times for it to work. Any ideas

teflon05
04-03-2014, 10:14 AM
First thing I'd try, is to replace the USB cable. In my experience with Seagate (5 external drives over the years), I've found that the cables they supply with their drives are shit.

megabyteme
04-03-2014, 10:39 AM
I have Seagate 2.5 usb external hard drive problem is it does not register straight away when i plug into usb port, need to replug 2 or 3 times for it to work. Any ideas

The VERY next time you get it to work, rescue (in order of importance) any important files you've got on there. It may be the last chance you have to see them. And DO NOT simply try to copy over the entire drive. Consider the possibility you've got 2 minutes (or even less) to save some of your files. Which ones do you care about? Get the less important ones later; dire ones NOW.

Grumpybear2000
04-03-2014, 01:51 PM
Have everything off the drive already.

megabyteme
04-03-2014, 02:56 PM
Next step is to sell it on eBay. :sly:

rawsy
04-04-2014, 01:07 AM
try any other leads that are compatible to rule out any easy faults. seagate have drive checking tools on their site that may be worth a try. personally i dont use seagate anymore as i have had way to many of them fail pretty quickly. i had 1 2.5 out of the bag fail within a month and i wasnt abusing it in any way. at least if the leads are ok you only need a new drive as you have the case ect.

anon
04-04-2014, 01:36 AM
Next step is to sell it on eBay. :sly:

"ALMOST BRAND NEW, JUST SOME SMALL DETAILS (it doesn't work)"

Appzalien
04-23-2014, 02:51 PM
Check on Seagate site for firmware update. When they find a certain number of complaints about a specific drive they try and fix it the best they can. There might also be a usb controller fix or something within the firmware update who knows. Although Seagate is chided for having some bad drives they do release a lot of firmware fixes in their defense. I have several externals (not 2.5) and have never had issues with the cords but externals have ide/sata to usb controllers included in the box and can be an issue as well.

tempt8tion
04-24-2014, 01:09 PM

The VERY next time you get it to work, rescue (in order of importance) any important files you've got on there. It may be the last chance you have to see them. And DO NOT simply try to copy over the entire drive. Consider the possibility you've got 2 minutes (or even less) to save some of your files. Which ones do you care about? Get the less important ones later; dire ones NOW.

That's excellent advice. If you have important files get them copied as soon as possible. After you have done that you can start troubleshooting the drive.

I am a computer tech who has run my own computer repair business for 14 years so hopefully you will take both our suggestions.

pokitisme
05-18-2014, 08:46 PM
yea check or CHANGE the plugs ur using to connect then if u cant get it to work enough times i suggest buying another 1 that is the same and returning the damaged 1.i have a issue like that with 1 of my 500gb hd's it only recognizes on 1 computer due to the startup method---(forgot what its called) and another drive i have takes forever to get started and i think its a plug issue.ur plug may not look damaged and it may not be but the computer may consider any loss of transfer a damaged cord so change it and always buy from a place u can return the items just in case.also if any issues persist with plug or computer change get rid of it--the loss of a hd is to much trouble to worry over and ive lost hd's quite a few times as os or just storage.the other suggestion would be a quality os and a good mobo---windows xp is shit for a os and with to much goin on it will lose data also invest in a multi core processor to ease transfer tensions.what r u running and how is ur computer connection setup.also is it making any sounds or clicks at any time what position do u have it sitting in like flat or verticle / in a external case.lots of things make a difference in ur operation.

Grumpybear2000
05-20-2014, 08:08 AM
Seagate is posting me a new cable to see if it works, every test i have done when i get drive to pick up says drive is all ok.

thecheezer
06-13-2014, 02:47 PM
Most likely it is the controller on the drive. if it is under warranty, get a replacement. if not crack open the enclosure and get a new enclosure. Like suggested in previous post, try a different computer/OS. Seagate is pretty good with their warranty service. had a ext HD that died 2 weeks before warranty was up, and sent it back to them and got new one within 1 week.It was a 1.5TB, and they replaced it with a brand new 2TB.

megabyteme
06-13-2014, 06:22 PM
I got distracted from the project. Will end up sending the controller to a place in Canadia, where they salvage the current drive's firmware to the donor drive. Hopefully all will be well after that... :pray:

EDIT- Oops, thought this was my similar thread. :blushing:

pokitisme
06-19-2014, 05:59 PM
I got distracted from the project. Will end up sending the controller to a place in Canadia, where they salvage the current drive's firmware to the donor drive. Hopefully all will be well after that... :pray:

what a noob doesnt even know what its doin--common has no idea of technical stuff

IdolEyes787
06-19-2014, 06:45 PM

what a noob doesnt even know what its doin--common has no idea of technical stuff

If you have entered some writing contest on who can produce the gayest sentence ever written or else trying to make a case for legalized abortion then on either count excellent job,sir.

gjs999
08-06-2014, 09:53 AM
when you plug the drive in does it make a clicking noise -- if so then the USB port isn't delivering enough current ( its probably boarder line ) -- do you have a similar usb lead but with two connectors at the PC end -- if so try that . If its not making any noise then you have two options -- one sell off unit or take apart and put the drive into another case and see if the problem persists -- this will prove if its the drive or enclosure .

anon
08-06-2014, 01:58 PM
If you try a different USB port and enclosure and the disk still refuses to work, I'd attach it to an internal SATA (or IDE, depending on how old it is) connector and see what HDAT2 has to say.