PDA

View Full Version : Comcast has "secretly" bumped up their internet speeds.

tempt8tion
04-23-2014, 10:40 PM
Many people in another forum reported that Comcast nearly doubled their speeds. So I rebooted my cable modem and went from 70 to 120 Mbps.

Just a heads up for Comcast users.

btw my gigabit router is looking pretty good right now.

Skiz
04-23-2014, 10:53 PM
Not here. Still getting mediocre speeds. For the same price, I used to get almost triple this in Texas.

This is what $50/month buys me:

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3457951427

megabyteme
04-23-2014, 11:10 PM
Not sure. Even if they gave me faster speeds, I still despise Concast. :snooty:

piercerseth
04-23-2014, 11:36 PM
Ugh. They claimed to provision (and subsequently bill) my parents for 50/10, while providing around half that. Oops. Just found out about that recently, looking forward to phone queue hell.

I wanted to move to the 105Mbit tier and was told it required a mandatory $250 fee and a tech visit. I've got a top of the line docsis 3 modem, and still can't get the fee waived. Now they'll just flip a switch from 70 to 120 for Joe Sixpack? Riiiiight. Like their capacity "issues" magically went away after Netflix's check cleared. Fuck them.

mjmacky
04-24-2014, 07:09 AM
If more people started getting rid of their shitty cable services, bandwidth could be freed up for faster Internet services for all. Data stream on demand instead of always live, it can have a major effect on speed.

Oh, so that's my theory, that Comcast provides such shitty service that customers are abandoning exorbitant cable fees but keeping the more ubiquitous Internet connections.

piercerseth
04-24-2014, 12:02 PM
I'm all for cord cutting, but hold that thought til later today when the FCC caves on net neutrality and explains how much better everything will be. "Fast lane" sure sounds innoculous, sexy even. We really should be grateful to Comcast for the crumbs they saw fit to drop while taking their victory lap.

It's up to the municipalities at this point to follow Chattanooga's lead and just build the damn infrastructure out themselves.

megabyteme
04-24-2014, 01:36 PM
At this point, I expect Concast to grow sooooo gluttonous that it becomes a public target that will get carved up like AT&T did. It will take a while, and corporate types :sick: will make fortunes putting it back together again, but Concast will eventually fall (be dismantled) due to its own excess.

BTW, thanks for the extra speed, Fuckers.

Rart
04-24-2014, 02:15 PM
Many people in another forum reported that Comcast nearly doubled their speeds. So I rebooted my cable modem and went from 70 to 120 Mbps.

Just a heads up for Comcast users.

btw my gigabit router is looking pretty good right now.

Any chance you're in an area with Google Fiber and Comcast suddenly realizes they have competition? Otherwise it could be Comcast's way of telling the FCC "Look! We innovate! We're expanding! Let us buy TWC!".

Not sure what you're complaining about... those are some mighty fine speeds. :cry1:

On another note I now know where you reside. My cousin lives in the area and is a member of the triad. I would sleep with one eye open if I were you. :sly:

megabyteme
04-24-2014, 05:57 PM
I do not like giving Concast my (wife's) money. Speed and uptime are good.

With one eye open, I'm still able to see better than any of your squinty eyed trisecksuals. And duh, like you don't have cousins everywhere. :idunno:

mjmacky
04-24-2014, 08:07 PM
On another note I now know where you reside. My cousin lives in the area and is a member of the triad. I would sleep with one eye open if I were you. :sly:

Tell all your cousins that I always leave my door unlocked when I'm home and that I'm pretty good at skull fucking.

Skiz
04-24-2014, 11:41 PM

What do you pay for that?

mjmacky
04-25-2014, 12:05 AM

I'm just going to go out on a limb, the gambler I am, and say, "too much".

I recently did some calculations and found that I would have to transfer more than 3 TB of data per month in order to stop Brighthouse from making a profit off of me.

I've never had the interest to measure, but I likely don't even top 200 GB.

mjmacky
04-25-2014, 12:08 AM
P.S. When I said "recently", I meant as I was writing the post. I have no idea why I'd try to mislead anyone into thinking it was a calculus project that required some devotion of my time.

teflon05
04-25-2014, 12:08 AM
yeah, I can't stand Comcast either...But where I'm at, I don't have much choice. Comcast or Verizon DSL, & I had Verizon for a few years. Best DL speed I ever got with them was 350kbps...& I won't even mention what my up speed was:sick:

You're getting a lot better DL speeds than me though: 142537

Did you upgrade your modem sometime last summer? I got a notice to upgrade, but never did it. Think I'll give them a call & get the new one & see if it will bump my speeds up a little.

mjmacky
04-25-2014, 01:21 AM
Why aren't you guys running 3rd party tests? Corporate-run speed testing would send me running... or am I reading that wrong?

Skiz
04-25-2014, 02:10 AM
I did, but I got the same results.

teflon05
04-25-2014, 11:08 AM
Why aren't you guys running 3rd party tests? Corporate-run speed testing would send me running... or am I reading that wrong?

I tried 3 different tests, and the differences were negligible.

megabyteme
04-25-2014, 12:06 PM

$70/mo. includes minimalist digital channels (with streaming of the same), a digital converter box, and HBO. Would be $10 more, but I argue with them each year and make them give me the same rate.

@Teflon: Upgrading to Docsis 3 will improve your speeds. Docsis 2 does max out (not sure if this is something done by Concast, or is an actual speed thing) on their system. Instead of renting from Concast, look around for sales (Newegg regularly has the modem for under $70). All you have to do is find out Concast's compatible modems, buy one, then call Concast with the numbers on the unit. Easy. Will pay for itself in 1 year.

tempt8tion
04-25-2014, 12:27 PM

Skiz
04-25-2014, 04:21 PM

No one asked what your speed test was. The topic is about whether your speeds doubled. And for context, what do you pay for said speed?

megabyteme
04-25-2014, 04:42 PM
Just noticed that everyone's upload is almost identical. All some amount in the 11 Mb range, regardless...

And I should note that all of our included "extras" beyond the internet connection are part of a package (that we don't need/use). Internet alone (we get "blast plus") is very close to the same price.

teflon05
04-25-2014, 08:39 PM
@Teflon: Upgrading to Docsis 3 will improve your speeds. Docsis 2 does max out (not sure if this is something done by Concast, or is an actual speed thing) on their system. Instead of renting from Concast, look around for sales (Newegg regularly has the modem for under $70). All you have to do is find out Concast's compatible modems, buy one, then call Concast with the numbers on the unit. Easy. Will pay for itself in 1 year.

I've got a Touchstone Telephony modem & a Linksys E3000 wireless router. I have the stupid telephone package with Comcast cause they had a special at the time I hooked up, but I'm dropping it as I never use the damn thing anyway. That's why I went with the Comcast provided modem, cause the Telephony modems I looked at were pretty expensive, & there were only a few that were compatible. Now that I'm going to drop the phone, I might see if I can find a decent combo modem/router (although the few DSL combo modem/routers I've tried have been shit, so maybe I'll stick with separate units)

As far as speed goes, I tried the restart thing & it didn't do shit for me. Mine's always been around what it is now. I see that yours is over 56 though. Has it always been that high? I'm pretty sure we both have the same plan.

http://filesharingtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=142548

That's got to be Business Class, isn't it?

Skiz
04-25-2014, 10:15 PM
Just noticed that everyone's upload is almost identical. All some amount in the 11 Mb range, regardless...

And I should note that all of our included "extras" beyond the internet connection are part of a package (that we don't need/use). Internet alone (we get "blast plus") is very close to the same price.

Need I remind you of my "1.26Mb/s" upload speed? :no:

piercerseth
04-25-2014, 10:31 PM
Purchased a motorola SB6141 from Amazon. Paid for itself right around a year like megabyteme said. Operates at their fastest tiers: http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

Found this thread kinda helpful: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28975270-Speed-Report-Free-Speed-Doubling-Upgrade-Here
I'm going to call a csr this weekend and just ask very politely to be bumped up while inquiring about the 305Mbit.

megabyteme
04-26-2014, 12:29 AM
Need I remind you of my "1.26Mb/s" upload speed? :no:

Sorry about that. Surely you've found ways to compensate. :console:

mjmacky
04-27-2014, 08:20 AM
Sorry about that. Surely you've found ways to compensate. :console:

I'm pretty lazy, so I allow my enormous dick to compensate for my lack of accomplishments.

tempt8tion
04-27-2014, 03:00 PM
I've got a Touchstone Telephony modem & a Linksys E3000 wireless router. I have the stupid telephone package with Comcast cause they had a special at the time I hooked up, but I'm dropping it as I never use the damn thing anyway. That's why I went with the Comcast provided modem, cause the Telephony modems I looked at were pretty expensive, & there were only a few that were compatible. Now that I'm going to drop the phone, I might see if I can find a decent combo modem/router (although the few DSL combo modem/routers I've tried have been shit, so maybe I'll stick with separate units)

As far as speed goes, I tried the restart thing & it didn't do shit for me. Mine's always been around what it is now. I see that yours is over 56 though. Has it always been that high? I'm pretty sure we both have the same plan.

http://filesharingtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=142548

That's got to be Business Class, isn't it?

No, that's just the highest you can get in my area. I have the telephone, cable package so I can't tell you what it costs since its all bundled together.
I am surprised so few people have not seen an increase. In a tech forum I frequent, since I am a computer tech and own a computer repair shop, about half the people saw the speed increase. I went from 70Mb/s to 120Mb/s.

Remember if you have Comcast phone service your modem has a battery backup and in order to do a full reboot you must use the reset button on the back and not just unplug it and replug it in.

tempt8tion
04-28-2014, 05:35 PM

No one asked what your speed test was. The topic is about whether your speeds doubled. And for context, what do you pay for said speed?

I'm fairly sure I know what the topic is. I'm the OP. :D

megabyteme
04-28-2014, 06:28 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arCITMfxvEc

mjmacky
04-28-2014, 06:40 PM

Your authorship doesn't guarantee your comprehension.

megabyteme
04-28-2014, 07:13 PM
These sorts of things are best left in the hands of trained professionals.

tempt8tion
04-29-2014, 01:54 AM

Your authorship doesn't guarantee your comprehension.

I know all the answers. The hard part is matching them up with the questions.

pokitisme
05-18-2014, 09:14 PM
well i got time warner/soon to be comcast and im paying for turbo and im getting around 34 mbs down and 3 to 5 mbs up.and thst enough for bf3 on a ps3 and up to 15 connections or more in newsleecher with no internet or ps3 lag.and if ur a battlefield 3 player uve seen the orange triangle.

piercerseth
06-25-2014, 12:09 AM
Confirmed they've bumped me to 120 Mbit.

Also looks like they've rolled out this 505 monstrosity (http://www.comcast.com/505) into my area. The naming sure is apt. HALF Google fiber's throughput for 5.5X the cost. That's a bargain any way you slice it.

megabyteme
06-25-2014, 12:27 AM
You aren't kidding. FFS...

Get the fastest Internet in your house for $399.95 a month.

No need for competition. None. :mellow:

Skiz
06-25-2014, 12:40 AM
7.61 down.

1.26 up.

piercerseth
06-25-2014, 01:52 AM
You aren't kidding. FFS...

Get the fastest Internet in your house for $399.95 a month.

No need for competition. None. :mellow:

Three year contract required. Early termination fee applies. Pricing subject to change. Equipment, installation, activation and taxes extra. Actual speeds vary and are not guaranteed.

I don't have an issue with paying even a hefty sum for installation, activation, and gear. I understand buildout is cost and labor intensive. I'm ok with the 3 yr contract and ETF. But I sure as shit am not paying that kind of money without some kind of uptime guarantee/SLA. It's also not symmetrical, more like 500/100.

7.61 down.

1.26 up.

I hope that's MBytes :cry:

megabyteme
06-25-2014, 03:26 AM
Taxpayers subsidise(d) a large portion of the cost to build the network. It is corrupt as fuk to require all of that, and at that cost. If there was any kind of competition, rates would be on par with what Google is charging.

I believe there is one other hidden element which applies to all residential customers (not business)- usage caps. They monitor customers and if you actually use that speed all the time, they will threaten to cut your service off. I know, I got a call. I used 750GB one month seeding unthrottled. They object when you use what you are paying for.

Skiz
06-25-2014, 04:51 AM
7.61 down.

1.26 up.

I hope that's MBytes :cry:

Nope. :(

2 years ago in Texas, I was getting 21Mb for the same price, and never had probs with my service. :dabs:

piercerseth
06-25-2014, 03:26 PM
Taxpayers subsidise(d) a large portion of the cost to build the network. It is corrupt as fuk to require all of that, and at that cost. If there was any kind of competition, rates would be on par with what Google is charging.

I believe there is one other hidden element which applies to all residential customers (not business)- usage caps. They monitor customers and if you actually use that speed all the time, they will threaten to cut your service off. I know, I got a call. I used 750GB one month seeding unthrottled. They object when you use what you are paying for.

Oh I'm sure running home servers are a big no no. For 400 bucks a month I could get a really decent dedi and cause all sorts of havoc. I should do that.

Skiz
06-25-2014, 06:06 PM

I have a 250gb "cap". After that, it basically goes down to dial-up speeds through the end of your billing period. Again, in Texas with Time Warner, no cap.

megabyteme
06-25-2014, 06:07 PM
I can't see any benefit to paying that much per month- especially being locked in for 3 years= $14,400. Plus install, etc.

Big Corporations: the cause of, and (expensive) solution to all of life's problems...