PDA

View Full Version : BT Broadband Unlimited safe/efficient for torrenting?

Xirix
05-22-2014, 10:19 AM
I'm on Sky Unlimited at the moment, I might have to change to BT Unlimited, the website says it doesn't throttle at all, and I always use peerblock when I use torrents, but I was hoping there was anyone on here currently on 'BT Unlimited Broadband' who could tell me if it's any good, have you ever gotten speed throttled, or letters sent?

Thanks

smcewa11
05-25-2014, 11:15 PM
BT is ok. Not the fastest though so if it is just the crap speeds you are getting on SKY for torrents that are making you switch then BT might not be the best option. If it is the problems with streaming, youtube or gaming due to really poor ping's with SKY then BT is a much better option. If it is the congested/throttled exchanges on SKY then moving will definitely fix this.

aoshivx
05-27-2014, 06:55 PM
BT is ok.

Hmmm.. So not true, according to search results on google. Would have been faster for OP to search there than register here, then again nothing wrong with asking. As for BT = YES!! Throttle P2P activites during peak hours and sometimes outside it + YES!! Send you letter for heavy traffic usage, not sure about copyright material.

smcewa11
05-27-2014, 11:52 PM
BT is ok. Hmmm.. So not true, according to search results on google. Would have been faster for OP to search there than register here, then again nothing wrong with asking. As for BT = YES!! Throttle P2P activites during peak hours and sometimes outside it + YES!! Send you letter for heavy traffic usage, not sure about copyright material.

BT has changed. No fair use policy, no traffic prioritisation to slow torrents.

I have SKY and BT lines, neither slows down at peak times for me but SKY has worse ping, streaming and youtube stutters (and SKY has still not fixed this issue that is affecting a lot of people in well over a month), and the download/upload speeds are slower by about 20% on SKY. The big problem with BT, for me at least, is that it is too expensive.

Once my contracts expire with both BT and SKY I will be leaving them for plusnet as they seem better and cheaper.

I download about a tb a month and have never had a letter. Nothing about copyright either, no real surprise here as I dont use public sites. Only been with BT for six months though.

insomniak81
07-04-2014, 02:02 PM
I think they may have stopped throttling P2P traffic, I remember not long after I moved and changed ISP I got an email from them saying they were gonna do a months trial without throttling but what happened after that I don't know. Also the fair use policy has nothing to do with protocol filtering. You can download as much as you want at max speed all day without issue, but between roughly 4pm and midnight torrent traffic is shaped to 30kd/s. In the T&C it says that at peak times, non-time essential apps (read bittorrent) to prevent congestion. Stragely it's only torrent traffic they shape, usenet has no issue at all.
http://broadband.mpi-sws.org/transparency/bttest.php
At that link they have apps that can check several different protocols (torrent, NNTP,SMTP etc.) to see whether your ISP shapes any of them.