PDA

View Full Version : Looking for New Laptop Under $1000

robertrust
05-28-2014, 08:31 PM
`What will give me the most bang for my buck? Don't want to spend more than $1000 and I want a poerful processor that is top of the line. Good graphics card. Newest versions of Office if Windows. Suggestions?

Skiz
05-28-2014, 09:06 PM
You can have quality, speed, price. Pick two.

I like the Lenovo machines these days. Have you looked at the Ideapad series? Y510p?

piercerseth
05-28-2014, 10:31 PM
I like the Lenovo machines these days. Have you looked at the Ideapad series? Y510p?Me too, except for those stupid ass chiclet keys. The T4x/6x were engineering marvels.

Skiz
05-28-2014, 11:35 PM
What are "chiclet keys"? The curved ones? :huh:

piercerseth
05-29-2014, 02:52 AM
What are "chiclet keys"? The curved ones? :huh:
Yeah, there's this spacing between each individual key. I've heard it called "island-style." Same as on the Macbooks. Not my cup of tea, but not a total deal breaker.

megabyteme
05-29-2014, 03:08 AM
`What will give me the most bang for my buck? Don't want to spend more than $1000 and I want a poerful processor that is top of the line. Good graphics card. Newest versions of Office if Windows. Suggestions?

There are so many readily available copies of Office and Windows floating around that I would not let included programs to be the deciding factor. Focus on quality hardware- even consider replacing an included 5400 RPM drive with a reliable/drop-proof Samsung SSD to end up with a portable computer that you can toss around like a textbook.

mjmacky
05-29-2014, 04:21 PM
to end up with a portable computer that you can toss around like a textbook.

You would only do away with one of the delicate aspects of a laptop. I'm pretty sure it still has a screen.

Setting aside the obvious, I believe textbooks are still expensive, so take great care of them to retain some resale value. In fact, treat them better than I would Meg's kids.

megabyteme
05-29-2014, 04:47 PM
I will point out to anyone looking to buy a used kid that unlike books or laptops, so far everything Mary has done has been washed off.

mjmacky
05-29-2014, 05:00 PM
I will point out to anyone looking to buy a used kid that unlike books or laptops, so far everything Mary has done has been washed off.

Maybe on the outside

megabyteme
05-29-2014, 05:20 PM
You'd be amazed at what can be done with spit and a bottle brush. Actually, you probably wouldn't...

pokitisme
05-29-2014, 06:18 PM
if u can find parts to build one then build it urself

nenabari
05-30-2014, 07:27 AM
You can buy Apple Macbook Air with in $898.

Rart
06-05-2014, 08:00 PM
if u can find parts to build one then build it urself

That's a terrible idea. I don't think it's quite feasible yet to build a decent laptop using self sourced parts a la desktops.

I would second the recommendation of Lenovo, I definitely think they're the most solid and reliable laptop company out there right now. I personally prefer the Thinkpad line myself as I would rather game on a desktop but I've heard good things about he Y series as well.

Skiz
06-05-2014, 09:20 PM
Maybe there are some kits out there, but I don't think I've ever even seen any laptop parts for building on your own. Doubt it would be cheaper anyhow. Like, I wouldn't have any idea how to install an LCD/LED display screen into a laptop shell for example. :blink:

megabyteme
06-05-2014, 10:06 PM
PokeItInMe hasn't shown to have the best of ideas. :no:

usersname
06-06-2014, 12:04 PM
At least we understood what he said this time! And we're not out of breath, reading what we thought was a Paragraph full of sentences, but turns out to be one long never ending "sentence".

Rart
06-06-2014, 03:32 PM
I'm going to assume that since you have enough posts that you aren't fluff posting to gain access to certain sections of the site.

In that case, I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.