PDA

View Full Version : Oh look, a shoe

mjmacky
07-08-2014, 04:42 AM
Let us ponder, for a moment, what a forum is. The Roman Forum was centered in the city of Rome, where many public congregations would be held and events would take place. It did not have a single specific purpose, for it was just a defined area where social interaction was made possible on a larger scale. Internet forums (fora) reflect their namesake on a much more inane level, but they can still fulfill a pocket of what we have been programmed to desire.

There is a hodgepodge of subfora here on FST, just like any other, but what was special about this place? It used to really adhere to the principles of uncensored discussion. Disabled privileges, post edits, and post deletions would usually follow objective necessity (spam and promotional activities). I believe all conversations should be free of censorship if we are to assign any meaning to them. I also understand that this particular forum hosts a largely idiotic membership of leechers. I don't mean it in the peer-to-peer sense, but in the general sense: individuals who continuously sidestep contribution in favor of their focus, their next selfish gain.

Sure, sometimes a meaningful and purely stoic discussion could take place regarding some aspect of network technology, and those could either be permitted to drown in their own dull juices of information or an interesting interjection could be made to breathe some life into it. Most inquiry threads, however, are made to fulfill a post minimum. An uncensored forum like this has managed to retain some capable minds, but with the exception of anon, that capability has completely vanished among the moderation team.

I perceived a shift in the attitude. To simplify it, this site aims to make money. The mass of leechers here somehow generate income, and they are not happy with criticism. Now that the simpletons, who too easily assign themselves an aura of worth or importance, seem to have unfettered reign over policies (whether collusion takes place or not), I have cause to withdraw. I really do not see the point in taking up a justifiable stance or effort for such a worthless corner of the internet.

Given that I no longer need to maintain a sense of diplomacy, which only exists because I really don't take pleasure in being a direct, confrontational ass (it's more personally productive to let my real thoughts inspire a more absurd approach), I'll go ahead and share what I really think. Rart and skiz, you are two of the dullest fucking morons I have ever encountered. I have to constantly manage how I deal with idiots, for it's a necessary practice to maintain my existence among the willfully ignorant, but my tolerance is periodically tested. The new policy, and its utterly flawed attempt at logic, is something I just cannot handle. Control is the tool of the mentally feeble, and I guess you can only revel in it since you lack the ability to comprehend your own failures, i.e., it's your unsurprising victory. I'd only feel sorrow if something worthwhile was at stake.

So, that's it. I'm out.

whereis
07-08-2014, 08:31 AM
Control is the tool of the mentally feeble, and I guess you can only revel in it since you lack the ability to comprehend your own failures

Says the man who thought that having his mate misuse the mod powers of this board for his entertainment was amusing, a man who proved he is every bit the twat that he declared his forbear to be, a man who thinks that he and his mates are entitled to stalk peoples real lives for fun.

Do us, and all of humanity, a favour Mary, go step in front of a bus...

Oooopppppsssss sorry mods, I must remember that I am not allowed to behave in a reciprocal way towards utter cunts like him, mustn't I.

Mr. Mulder
07-08-2014, 09:21 AM
I'm just sick of all the fascists and propaganda and other terms I have a vague understanding of. In fact, if all the propaganda and global warming doesn't leave the forum by midnight tonight I will release a photo of my balls on the hour, every hour!

Free Watergate!!! Down with whale oil! Just the right amount of guns in school, like 7 MAX!! Burkas for everyone!!!!

IdolEyes787
07-08-2014, 10:18 AM
Let us ponder, for a moment, what a forum is. The Roman Forum was centered in the city of Rome, where many public congregations would be held and events would take place. It did not have a single specific purpose, for it was just a defined area where social interaction was made possible on a larger scale. Internet forums (fora) reflect their namesake on a much more inane level, but they can still fulfill a pocket of what we have been programmed to desire.

There is a hodgepodge of subfora here on FST, just like any other, but what was special about this place? It used to really adhere to the principles of uncensored discussion. Disabled privileges, post edits, and post deletions would usually follow objective necessity (spam and promotional activities). I believe all conversations should be free of censorship if we are to assign any meaning to them. I also understand that this particular forum hosts a largely idiotic membership of leechers. I don't mean it in the peer-to-peer sense, but in the general sense: individuals who continuously sidestep contribution in favor of their focus, their next selfish gain.

Sure, sometimes a meaningful and purely stoic discussion could take place regarding some aspect of network technology, and those could either be permitted to drown in their own dull juices of information or an interesting interjection could be made to breathe some life into it. Most inquiry threads, however, are made to fulfill a post minimum. An uncensored forum like this has managed to retain some capable minds, but with the exception of anon, that capability has completely vanished among the moderation team.

I perceived a shift in the attitude. To simplify it, this site aims to make money. The mass of leechers here somehow generate income, and they are not happy with criticism. Now that the simpletons, who too easily assign themselves an aura of worth or importance, seem to have unfettered reign over policies (whether collusion takes place or not), I have cause to withdraw. I really do not see the point in taking up a justifiable stance or effort for such a worthless corner of the internet.

Given that I no longer need to maintain a sense of diplomacy, which only exists because I really don't take pleasure in being a direct, confrontational ass (it's more personally productive to let my real thoughts inspire a more absurd approach), I'll go ahead and share what I really think. Rart and skiz, you are two of the dullest fucking morons I have ever encountered. I have to constantly manage how I deal with idiots, for it's a necessary practice to maintain my existence among the willfully ignorant, but my tolerance is periodically tested. The new policy, and its utterly flawed attempt at logic, is something I just cannot handle. Control is the tool of the mentally feeble, and I guess you can only revel in it since you lack the ability to comprehend your own failures, i.e., it's your unsurprising victory. I'd only feel sorrow if something worthwhile was at stake.

So, that's it. I'm out.This and not that other Facist crap should be stickied.

The only other thing(s) that I can add is that the thought did also cross my mind that since the vast majority of income (ie forum"hits" ) comes from the voiceless NZBiners,then the administration will kowtow to their interests even to the point of the demise of the rest of the board.
I actually do in fact see this happening as basically only at best maybe half a dozen people keep the forum side alive now.When you gag those voices what are you going to have left?Silence.

It's funny/sad that a place with "talk" in the name and founded as a forum would ever come to this.Personally I blame the site owner,oh he of never show his face or the administration,that great mysterious law unto itself.
I would also add that I don't share your contempt for Rart or to the same degree skiz but maybe I'm just being delusional and favouring Goebbels and Himmler over the Fuehrer.

Away I think I will stick around long enough to see this thread is conveniently deleted and then I may be forced to join you.

@ Anyone who stupidly uses the argument that this is done out of "hatred" for the board ,actually the reverse is true.More the pity that those in charge seem incapable of seeing that.

PS please at lest have the balls to change the site name to NZBBuddy and make it a pay site.

bigboab
07-08-2014, 01:11 PM
PS please at lest have the balls to change the site name to NZBBuddy and make it a pay site.

What about the five and dimers?

anon
07-08-2014, 02:32 PM
This particular move wasn't a RealitY moneymaking scheme. Most of the things he's done to increase donations were not welcomed by us, but there's fuck-all we can do about it.

With regards to me being the only sensible mod left...

A proposal for the infamous sticky was presented by another staff member in the team chat. Having always respected the relaxed atmosphere here, I did not agree entirely, but I voted "yes" and that's because I've seen many threads where mundane things were met with too much unnecessary hostility. Not unwarranted, mind you, just unnecessary. For example, some idiot makes a thread to ask where something can be downloaded in the Movies & TV section instead of File Sharing. Really, that's hardly worth being worked up about. Just hit the report button and one of us will move it or trash it if it was five-post spam.

Points about so-called "off topic" posts usually being far more interesting than the initial discussion are valid, and I won't delete those unless they get completely out of hand, which was always my policy.

IdolEyes787
07-08-2014, 03:59 PM
... because I've seen many threads where mundane things were met with too much unnecessary hostility. Not unwarranted, mind you, just unnecessary. For example, some idiot makes a thread to ask where something can be downloaded in the Movies & TV section instead of File Sharing. Really, that's hardly worth being worked up about. Just hit the report button and one of us will move it or trash it if it was five-post spam.

If it's inconsequential enough to not warrant complaining about then isn't it doubly inconsequentially enough not to warrant reporting? :unsure:

Also I prefer to do my own dirty work instead of being sneaky and having someone else covertly do it for me.
Is this honestly wrong or should I make it a point in the future to lie more?

IdolEyes787
07-08-2014, 04:29 PM
Look,honestly I'd be delighted not to have to complain if you could just arrange so I am given no reason to.:)

Also as I've said on more than one occasion in the past,I'll take other members concerns and feelings into account just as soon as they take my concerns and feelings into account.
I'm pretty sure that history has proven that statement to be true.

Rart
07-08-2014, 05:04 PM
I just find it hilarious that every time topics concerning the administration of the board are brought up, the topic of money constantly appears, as if they are some money grubbing leeches only interested in making a quick buck.

This board barely goes even. We're a group of people that are generally more technically literate than the general population, and are generally aware of the existence of Adblock. Thinking that this board is somehow a lucrative venture is laughable at best. I was taking your post with serious thought until you decided to mention money. Devolving your argument into a cliched argument of how the administration are money grubbing facists makes it incredibly difficult to seriously contemplate your argument.

Regardless, this is how I see it: I don't know at what point this board "peaked" in activity, but at least since from when I had joined FST, it's pretty clear that recently the board has been declining in activity. I 100% wholeheartedly agree that censorship is counterproductive to the ideals of a forum (although I believe using the word censorship in this context is completely off base and a massive over dramatization of the situation, I am entertaining your thought process). In fact, that's the exact reason I joined the board in the first place when I discovered filesharing rather than some other cesspool of a place like TPS or torrentinvites or some other shit. I think I've pissed off my fair share of tracker staff since my stay here (some tool called fatcat comes to mind) and was never afraid to say whatever the fuck I want since I joined. That's why I joined this forum in the first place.

However, there's another piece of puzzle to a successful forum that you haven't mentioned. And that's actually having a lively discussion. You can't have a lively discussion when all there is is the same 4 regulars rehashing the same things over and over. Forums thrive off having a large base of members talk, debate, and throw ideas off eachother, not 4-5 people talking amongst themselves in a thread. In my mind, you simply can't have a successful forum without an adequate userbase with which to circulate topics through. Non censorship is one part of the puzzle, having an adequate member base is the other part.

And that brings me back to where I mentioned the declining activity of the board. It's pretty obvious the activity on the board has been declining recently, and I think that's large in part due to the nature of the board, and that's what we're trying to change. The constant, unnecessary harshing of new members is not needed and only serves to steer away potential contributing members. Yes, a large majority of posters are probably idiots posting to spam their way up to access a certain forum. But that's what the report button is for. Report the spam and move on. The sheer amount of harshing on the forums only serves to scare away potential new members that might actually contribute useful content, as they are afraid that their posts will be met with the same fate (whether or not they actually will). Not everybody produces Shakespeare on their first try and most of the new members here will not be quite as articulate to matters of filesharing as we are. Just as I don't think any of us were when we first joined this site. If you need to satisfy your itch for harshing people you don't know over the internet, keep it to the lounge. Let the newer members decide when they're more acquainted with the board and dive in to the lounge if they so choose.

That's my opinion and (I believe) the general consensus of most of the staff here. I'm sorry if you don't agree with it. Regardless of our differences you do have a vast array of knowledge in various fields and can make some great posts when you put your mind to it, so I'm sorry if you decide to leave. Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

Rart
07-08-2014, 05:08 PM
I would also add that I don't share your contempt for Rart

Could we keep the gay on the down low? We don't want the entire world knowing.

IdolEyes787
07-08-2014, 05:36 PM
The Chinese.Give them an inch and they take Hong Kong.

megabyteme
07-08-2014, 06:46 PM

The Chinese.Give them an inch and they are above average.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the topic at hand:

I have honestly attempted to welcome in members who have shown the slightest bit of interest in actually being a regular member here. Ask a question with more than 5 words in it, and I will make an effort to help them; play in the word games section, and I welcome them personally; introduce yourself without sounding like a basic bitch, and I welcome them. Truth is, you are blaming your contributors for a collection of bad administrative decisions which have cost this board long-time, fun contributors.

Artemis
07-08-2014, 10:47 PM

Regardless, this is how I see it: I don't know at what point this board "peaked" in activity, but at least since from when I had joined FST, it's pretty clear that recently the board has been declining in activity. I 100% wholeheartedly agree that censorship is counterproductive to the ideals of a forum (although I believe using the word censorship in this context is completely off base and a massive over dramatization of the situation, I am entertaining your thought process). In fact, that's the exact reason I joined the board in the first place when I discovered filesharing rather than some other cesspool of a place like TPS or torrentinvites or some other shit. I think I've pissed off my fair share of tracker staff since my stay here (some tool called fatcat comes to mind) and was never afraid to say whatever the fuck I want since I joined. That's why I joined this forum in the first place.

However, there's another piece of puzzle to a successful forum that you haven't mentioned. And that's actually having a lively discussion. You can't have a lively discussion when all there is is the same 4 regulars rehashing the same things over and over. Forums thrive off having a large base of members talk, debate, and throw ideas off eachother, not 4-5 people circlejerking each other in a thread. In my mind, you simply can't have a successful forum without an adequate userbase with which to circulate topics through. Non censorship is one part of the puzzle, having an adequate member base is the other part.

And that brings me back to where I mentioned the declining activity of the board. It's pretty obvious the activity on the board has been declining recently, and I think that's large in part due to the nature of the board, and that's what we're trying to change. The constant, unnecessary harshing of new members is not needed and only serves to steer away potential contributing members. Yes, a large majority of posters are probably idiots posting to spam their way up to access a certain forum. But that's what the report button is for. Report the spam and move on. The sheer amount of harshing on the forums only serves to scare away potential new members that might actually contribute useful content, as they are afraid that their posts will be met with the same fate (whether or not they actually will).

As a member of the 'circlejerk' as you so charmingly put it, a little bit more effort on your i.e. the staff's part to talk to the regular posters would probably have been a GREAT deal more conducive than a unilateral decision. I do remember in the past when certain members of this forum were included in the teamchat and were actually asked their thoughts and opinions on the board. I do realise this was before you were elevated to the lofty position of moderator here Rart, and is aimed more in general at the moderation team.

Make no mistake this is censorship, whether you believe it is for 'the good of the board' or not, and the way which it was enacted is high handed. While not being quite the drama queen that mj is, this will see even less participation from me since to be quite honest most of the moronic posts in the sub-forums which have been quoted before are boring as fuck, and are a deep insult to my intelligence. Even when there is an attempt to have an intelligent conversation it is drowned out by those who post based on the thread title, not the actual content of the thread. In other words most of the forum threads are turning into one line 'list(s)' of shit people like or do not like, it is honestly like being back in school or even pre-school.

It is actually this general dumbing down which is causing a lack of posting, there are only so many things you can say in reply to moronic posts, and in general I find it quite difficult to be supportive of morons since I do not suffer fools glady.

The majority of these posters only reply once in any given thread anyway, and are then off to cast pearls of wisdom when they see another thread title that they can post a one-line reply to, this has nothing to do with the circlejerk and having a conducive atmosphere for this activity will ensure that it continues, which in itself is a self fulfilling prophecy, since there will just be lists, no active debate, and therefore less responses.

I could carry on with further examples, but your measures will ensure less, not more posting on this board.

In conclusion, fuck you.

A member of the circlejerk.

megabyteme
07-09-2014, 12:05 AM
As a member of the 'circlejerk' as you so charmingly put it

IKR. That's called 'appreciation'. The underlying message here is that the site would be better off without the only people who actually contribute here. That will make the once-thriving site whole again. :yup: Truth is that policies have been made NOT for the continued flourishing discussions, but to accommodate those who are willing to donate for the sole purpose of avoiding a 15 day waiting period to grab a NZB.

RealtY has repeatedly made decisions that have driven active members away. Now that there aren't enough of those interesting contributors to draw interest in the site, those of us who are contributing are getting the blame for these administrative fuckups monetizing efforts.

Rart
07-09-2014, 01:13 AM
As a member of the 'circlejerk' as you so charmingly put it, a little bit more effort on your i.e. the staff's part to talk to the regular posters would probably have been a GREAT deal more conducive than a unilateral decision. I do remember in the past when certain members of this forum were included in the teamchat and were actually asked their thoughts and opinions on the board. I do realise this was before you were elevated to the lofty position of moderator here Rart, and is aimed more in general at the moderation team.

I sincerely apologize for the use of the word "circlejerk". I know it's hard to detect sincerity in online posts, but that came off completely different from what I meaning to convey and was a very poor choice of words. Perhaps a better term would've been "clique/social group/inner circle" or something like that. I meant to convey that there's a group of regulars that post consistently, often with references, terms and inside jokes that make navigating the site extremely difficult for newcomers. That is fine in it's own right, but when combined with the entire group harshing on every random idiot that posts something inane, it can look incredibly unwelcoming to anyone who isn't as familiar with the site as you or me. Is it really that hard to just report the post and move on?

Make no mistake this is censorship, whether you believe it is for 'the good of the board' or not, and the way which it was enacted is high handed.

Sure. It is censorship. It's censorship in the same way that we delete posts to copyrighted content, delete posts containing racism, delete posts of excessive hostility (which we have always done), etc. We delete posts if they are against the rules of the site. I never said it wasn't censorship, I said it was necessary to improve what I mentioned was the 2nd half of a successful forum.

to be quite honest most of the moronic posts in the sub-forums which have been quoted before are boring as fuck, and are a deep insult to my intelligence. Even when there is an attempt to have an intelligent conversation it is drowned out by those who post based on the thread title, not the actual content of the thread. In other words most of the forum threads are turning into one line 'list(s)' of shit people like or do not like, it is honestly like being back in school or even pre-school...and in general I find it quite difficult to be supportive of morons since I do not suffer fools glady....he majority of these posters only reply once in any given thread anyway, and are then off to cast pearls of wisdom when they see another thread title that they can post a one-line reply to.

Sure. I agree that it's a problem. But how does that explain/justify instantly harshing every member that does so? As I said, just report the post and move on. The mods will delete the post/infract accordingly.

having a conducive atmosphere for this activity will ensure that it continues

We're not trying to create a conducive atmosphere for this activity. We just don't think it's necessary for the regulars of the board to harsh on someone every time they make an inane post. I'm repeating myself again, but report the post and we'll delete it/infract the user accordingly.

The underlying message here is that the site would be better off without the only people who actually contribute here.

One thing I also don't understand is how a lot of members here seem that this is somehow a giant fuck you to the regulars of the board, and I don't think that is in any way the intent. We want on topic sections to stay on topic. You can continue using the lounge as usual, continue posting on filesharing threads if it tickles your fancy, etc. We just don't want you unnecessarily harshing every newbie that posts on (on topic) sections of the board. You guys are taking it like it's the apocalypse.

Also you guys are so keen on staff-member interaction, but given how much I'm trying to communicate with you guys here I'm the one getting all the flak. :dabs: I love this board a lot and am trying to explain a policy that I think will be beneficial the board overall, but I'm the one getting all the fuck yous. Hopefully that's just cause you think I'm an asshole for using the term circlejerk and can hopefully accept from my apology that I meant no ill intent in that. But if that's your general attitude regardless of my poor choice of words, than I can start to understand the reluctance in the older staff members in engaging in conversations about these matters.

megabyteme
07-09-2014, 01:24 AM
How else should we take a policy change aimed directly at the handful of us who regularly contribute? :unsure:

Rart
07-09-2014, 01:27 AM
As to what it is at face value. Calling it a message that "the site would be better off without the only people who actually contribute here" is an extreme over exaggeration.

megabyteme
07-09-2014, 01:45 AM
As to what it is at face value. Calling it a message that "the site would be better off without the only people who actually contribute here" is an extreme over exaggeration.

It honestly feels like it. Yesterday, I did not post for most of the day, and I had strongly considered not doing so for an entire week. Mary would not have said his goodbye if he did not feel the same way. I'm here because of the interactions I have with "the circlejerks". Their numbers are dwindling, and making a policy against 'us' has already caused one more to leave.

I go out of my way to welcome anyone who seems like they are worth two digital keypresses. I don't see the mods contributing nearly as much as the "circlejerks". You want to make newcomers feel welcome, be welcoming to them. Join in. That's what Idol's Mods I Hate thread was about- getting you to actually join in, Rart.

IdolEyes787
07-09-2014, 01:45 AM
Let me tell you a little story that you don't want to hear.
Everyone who starts out racing bicycles spends much of their initial experience getting dropped.

Those that care about what they are doing suffer but persevere until finally they aren't getting dropped anymore.Those that don't care simply give up.

Simple fact of racing.Simple fact of life.

IdolEyes787
07-09-2014, 01:47 AM
That's what Idol's Mods I Hate thread was about- getting you to actually join in, Rart.

That and hating Rart.

IdolEyes787
07-09-2014, 01:48 AM
I sincerely apologize for the use of the word "circlejerk". I know it's hard to detect sincerity in online posts, but that came off completely different from what I meaning to convey and was a very poor choice of words. .

Don't trust him.Remember what the Chinese did to us at Pearl Harbor.

megabyteme
07-09-2014, 01:51 AM
Let me tell you a little story that you don't want to hear.
Everyone who starts out racing bicycles spends much of their initial experience getting dropped.

Those that care about what they are doing suffer but persevere until finally they aren't getting dropped anymore.Those that don't care simply give up.

Simple fact of racing.Simple fact of life.

But comments like, "You write like a 14 year old girl" are just tooo harsh for some fragile little simpletons, Idol. The question is, how can we accommodate them so this site can look like an inner-city middle school?

Rart
07-09-2014, 02:00 AM
I go out of my way to welcome anyone who seems like they are worth two digital keypresses.

I have noticed that. The rules being (clarified) are probably less so relevant to you, and I am grateful for that. But (and this is not directed at you) keep in mind that being welcoming to people who actually put effort into their contributions doesn't mean that you should be incessantly harsh to members that don't do so. Report the thread and the post will be dealt with.

getting you to actually join in, Rart.

I am very passionate about this board and do readily admit that I spend less time on it than I would like. Unfortunately life has caught up with me and I don't have nearly the amount of time as I once did when I joined this board to contribute. Maybe once I get a stable job rather than having to study for exams constantly I'll be able to dedicate more time to the board. Until then I'm trying my best. :(

Also could you please try, just try to let me slide on the circlejerk thing and focus more on the meat of that post that I made. I already admitted it was a mistake and profusely apologized, I got less than two hours of sleep yesterday and wrote quite the long post, I messed up on a word. It was not at all my intent to imply the posting of regulars here was a "circlejerk" and I explained that in my previous post.

megabyteme
07-09-2014, 02:28 AM
Also could you please try, just try to let me slide on the circlejerk thing

You said you want to "slide on the circlejerk".

http://i.imgur.com/gTNdVzH.gif?1

piercerseth
07-09-2014, 05:27 AM
Don't trust him.Remember what the Chinese did to us at Pearl Harbor.

Oh look, a Hsu.

IdolEyes787
07-09-2014, 10:29 AM
But comments like, "You write like a 14 year old girl" are just tooo harsh for some fragile little simpletons, Idol. The question is, how can we accommodate them so this site can look like an inner-city middle school?

Actually it was "spastic 14 year old girl".
As I can say is if you are offended by the truth then instead of being angry at the conveyor,maybe consider looking into getting a better truth.

And with that I'm probably/hopefully/wishingly out.
Now at least I'll have oodles more time to spend staring blankly into space.:)

Mr. Mulder
07-09-2014, 10:46 AM
Can someone please summarize the past 3 pages with a single JPEG, it's just too much to read.

whereis
07-09-2014, 11:06 AM
To summarise.

The admin team think that the decline of the board is because the environment is very harsh towards newbies, and have changed the rules to try to improve it.

The group of nasties who do all that harshing aren't happy about it and are threatening to take their ball home... in fact one of them has seemingly already gone.

Mr. Mulder
07-09-2014, 12:31 PM
Oh snap! :o

I wonder who it was, there's just no way of telling without reading :eyebrows:

Do people still announce it when they leave forums with it being the year 2014? Like actually type it out??

Skiz
07-09-2014, 03:59 PM
Can someone please summarize the past 3 pages with a single JPEG, it's just too much to read.

Skiz
07-09-2014, 04:13 PM
This is prob more accurate.

Skiz
07-09-2014, 04:19 PM
Always remember cheese's rule:

If you leave the forum then make a thread about it. Return in two weeks.

Skiz
07-09-2014, 04:20 PM
Remember when the lounge was all about what you did over the weekend and lolcats? :happy:

Mr. Mulder
07-09-2014, 05:20 PM
And GEP :smilie4:

IdolEyes787
07-09-2014, 05:21 PM
Do people still announce it when they leave forums with it being the year 2014? Like actually type it out??

Back in the darkness before the internet,when friendship wasn't viewed as being quite so disposable and Mankind still lacked the wisdom to have societal values determined by whichever 16 year old accrued the most Vine followers,I believe it was referred to as "common courtesy".:eyebrows:

IdolEyes787
07-09-2014, 05:27 PM

Remember when the lounge was all about what you did over the weekend and lolcats? :happy:

In an effort to keep everyone happy.

IdolEyes787
07-09-2014, 06:03 PM
To summarise.

The admin team think that the decline of the board is because the environment is very harsh towards newbies, and have changed the rules to try to improve it.

The group of nasties who do all that harshing aren't happy about it and are threatening to take their ball home... in fact one of them has seemingly already gone.

To summarize,Dave can't spell summarize.

Anyway since whatever the opposite of Nazi is that's me .Probably that makes me a Jew but mull on this Heb quote anywho Dave and see if possibly any of it applies.

" I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."

Rart
07-09-2014, 07:05 PM
Who is this Dave fellow and why was he banned.

He seemed to agree with me and hell I could use a couple friends around here.

Or maybe he was just doing in to spite Mjmacky or something else.

IdolEyes787
07-09-2014, 07:09 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF1chLj1fro

Skiz
07-09-2014, 08:06 PM
Who is this Dave fellow and why was he banned.

He seemed to agree with me and hell I could use a couple friends around here.

Or maybe he was just doing in to spite Mjmacky or something else.

Squeamous's creepy stalker.

IdolEyes787
07-09-2014, 08:19 PM
Now ask Rart who Squeamous is. :mellow:

Rart
07-09-2014, 08:29 PM
Who's that, myself.

Skiz
07-09-2014, 10:38 PM
http://filesharingtalk.com/members/180745-Squeamous

IdolEyes787
07-09-2014, 10:43 PM
Who's that, myself.

Only if you faint at the sight of bloud.

megabyteme
07-09-2014, 11:34 PM
Alright, Rart, if you can't answer this one we will throw you in the shark tank for the next 36 hours:

Who is Manker?

Rart
07-10-2014, 02:50 AM
He's some guy that has 10x as many posts as me and conveniently only seems to be active when I'm not.

...holy shit I think he's me.

Mr. Mulder
07-10-2014, 08:17 AM
Whatever happened to that Zed/100%? Did his character just get written out of this farce? :unsure:

Artemis
07-10-2014, 08:52 AM
Whatever happened to that Zed/100%? Did his character just get written out of this farce? :unsure:

Zed's dead baby. :blink:

megabyteme
07-10-2014, 09:25 AM
Zed's dead baby. :blink:

That's kinda dark without the comma.

Barbarossa
07-10-2014, 09:30 AM

Hahaha you just made me spit tea everywhere :coffee:

Mr. Mulder
07-10-2014, 10:53 AM
is that what the kids are calling it :smilie4:

Artemis
07-10-2014, 09:02 PM
.... Perhaps a better term would've been "clique/social group/inner circle" or something like that. I meant to convey that there's a group of regulars that post consistently, often with references, terms and inside jokes that make navigating the site extremely difficult for newcomers. That is fine in it's own right, but when combined with the entire group harshing on every random idiot that posts something inane, it can look incredibly unwelcoming to anyone who isn't as familiar with the site as you or me. Is it really that hard to just report the post and move on?

On rereading your reply, that is a fallacy, the entire group harshing every random idiot.... In the last month I have been 'harsh' once, the post was deleted. It was obviously not a valid inquiry and I swore at the tard that posted it, I'm not a saint, people sometimes piss me off, that is the one solitary objectionable poast on my behalf. The other times I have harshed someone is when pierceseth tripped over his own cock and posted the wrong name in a reply to a movie, I inquired whether he should ventilate the room more when cooking his meth and I commiserated with vagina after a rather illiterate post, hoping that his concussion gets better. The only other negative comments were to slighfox, after he started calling Idol a 'TROOL', and being illiterate and insulting isn't a good mix.

In that same time I replied to a question on DirectX in the hardware section, fully knowing it was a spurious inquiry, but still giving an answer, since it may help someone, and also helped out with formatting an external hdd for HFS to use with a Mac.

There was actually a time in the long distant past when this board thrived on conflict, the busiest section of the board was the bit torrent section and there were those traded invites and accounts and those who were against the practice. There used to be some monumental bitch fights, it was all pink handbags at five paces, and was truly hilarious to be involved in. That is probably where the outrage from the older members stems from, this used to be a board where you could speak your mind, and call someone a fuckwit if you thought they were. Everyone got on though, and the spirited to and fro was what made the board vibrant.

These days you are pandering to the lowest common denominator, they aren't particularly interested in contributing to the board apart from the required number of posts, and as I said before only really create I like/don't like lists. Who actually vaguely cares about great long random lists of like/don't like? I've certainly given up reading them, I don't know about anyone else. I am actually quite happy at this point to confine my activity to the lounge, since by and large the people that frequent it can breathe and type at the same time.

I will reiterate again though, the major reason for a lack of activity is the type of posts that are being generated, they do not invite discussion and no 'tweaking of the rules' is going to change that.

You're still a dickhead for calling the regular posters a circlejerk though.... :wank:

Rart
07-11-2014, 07:58 AM
As I said circlejerk was a poor choice of words resulting from writing a long post with 2 hours of sleep. If I truly thought this board was a circle jerk it would be directly contradicting the exact reason I joined this board (which I mentioned earlier), and I wouldn't be using this site in the first place. If you want to keep egging on me for it, whatever.

On rereading your reply, that is a fallacy, the entire group harshing every random idiot.... In the last month I have been 'harsh' once, the post was deleted. It was obviously not a valid inquiry and I swore at the tard that posted it, I'm not a saint, people sometimes piss me off, that is the one solitary objectionable poast on my behalf. The other times I have harshed someone is when pierceseth tripped over his own cock and posted the wrong name in a reply to a movie, I inquired whether he should ventilate the room more when cooking his meth and I commiserated with vagina after a rather illiterate post, hoping that his concussion gets better. The only other negative comments were to slighfox, after he started calling Idol a 'TROOL', and being illiterate and insulting isn't a good mix.

Again, this post isn't directed towards any one member or person. It's a policy for the board as a whole. We're not saying any one person excessively violated this rule or something.

There was actually a time in the long distant past when this board thrived on conflict, the busiest section of the board was the bit torrent section and there were those traded invites and accounts and those who were against the practice. There used to be some monumental bitch fights, it was all pink handbags at five paces, and was truly hilarious to be involved in. That is probably where the outrage from the older members stems from, this used to be a board where you could speak your mind, and call someone a fuckwit if you thought they were. Everyone got on though, and the spirited to and fro was what made the board vibrant.

I do remember that. Most of the "bitchfights" were derived from actual, relevant BT happenings or "drama" or whatever. That's why it was mostly let through. It was still relevant, and our more relaxed moderation policies compared to most forums let it through. Excessive hostile posting was still always infracted though back then.

I will reiterate again though, the major reason for a lack of activity is the type of posts that are being generated, they do not invite discussion and no 'tweaking of the rules' is going to change that.

Ok. It just seems like most the arguments you are making in thread are just "this doesn't do anything", which is surprisingly tame for how much you guys seemingly hate it. Could you more describe exactly how it hurts the board rather than help it? Or what else you would change that would be even better?

Artemis
07-11-2014, 08:22 AM
As I said circlejerk was a poor choice of words resulting from writing a long post with 2 hours of sleep. If I truly thought this board was a circle jerk it would be directly contradicting the exact reason I joined this board (which I mentioned earlier), and I wouldn't be using this site in the first place. If you want to keep egging on me for it, whatever.

I've only mentioned it twice, and the second time was from sheer joy at your mea culpa and rending of garments, I just had to have another whirl when you did that. :naughty:

It just seems like most the arguments you are making in thread are just "this doesn't do anything", which is surprisingly tame for how much you guys seemingly hate it. Could you more describe exactly how it hurts the board rather than help it? Or what else you would change that would be even better?

For myself, I simply do not like censorship, as I see it personally, this new 'tweaking of the rules' will affect me very little apart from the occasional urge to scream at some speshal member that deeply deserves it.

How can we make the board better.....? With the current crop of new recruits there isn't a great deal of hope. They are selfish and self involved, this isn't a community to them, it is a place to leech from so good luck with that, I'd rather teach catfish to yodel.... :blink:

piercerseth
07-11-2014, 08:27 AM
The other times I have harshed someone is when pierceseth tripped over his own cock and posted the wrong name in a reply to a movie, I inquired whether he should ventilate the room more when cooking his meth and I commiserated with vagina after a rather illiterate post, hoping that his concussion gets better.
Oh I in fact meant Bill Paxton, not Tom Cruise. My prosopagnosia only flares up around past one night stands. I also have a thick skin.

Like 6mm, it's kinda gross.

The problem was the harshings escalated to straight up non-discriminatory for a time. A couple of promising new posters headed for the exit. Would their additions have changed the signal-to-noise that much?

Like you said the lack of activity is endemic to something else.

Artemis
07-11-2014, 08:40 AM
You really, really need a thick skin to play this ballpark, but ick.... 6mm, maybe you could shave some off and donate it to Rart? :naughty:

IdolEyes787
07-11-2014, 12:04 PM
A couple of promising new posters headed for the exit.

Pictures or it didn't happen.

piercerseth
07-11-2014, 02:02 PM
A couple of promising new posters headed for the exit.

http://filesharingtalk.com/threads/455777-Live-search-feature

We were all a little irascible then. Another forum had closed a bit earlier and the refugees landed here. I was aware of this poster's reputation from outside this site, and she was plenty polite.

IdolEyes787
07-11-2014, 04:29 PM
I'm big on reputation because in the long run I think it means more than actual tangible performance and that is mostly how I am able to still get women.

Anyway I do remember the influx and do remember being whatever the opposite of nonplussed is from all the "Gee I remember how you were such a great and interesting scribe on some other place" and the alleged "great and interesting scribe " never confirmed that statement by ever posting anything beyond maybe "Hi " which is neither great or interesting here.

Also I said "promising".I am admittedly stupid but I fail to see anything remotely promising in any of those posts.Mine included.

piercerseth
07-11-2014, 05:35 PM
I don't recall when posters were required to present a letter of introduction or meet whatever arbitrary criterion you set? Someone who shows up here first day chomping at the bit to post nzbs and donate their time I'd classify as 'promising.'

megabyteme
07-11-2014, 05:44 PM
http://filesharingtalk.com/threads/455777-Live-search-feature

LOL. I remember that poster. Yeah, not the warmest welcome ever, but in the defense of my two Walmart greeter friends, I'll say that was a result of the "two post" ruling. After 99 idiots traipse through, it is almost natural to be unwelcoming to the 100th.

That same poster felt he deserved a special bypass of the site rules so that he could skip the waiting period. Bit arrogant. Regardless of who he was elsewhere.

piercerseth
07-11-2014, 06:01 PM
Of course I wouldn't expect any carte blanche. She was kind of pushy, and we did accomodate her on some things. Idol's initial reply to Art made me laugh out loud.

IdolEyes787
07-11-2014, 07:04 PM
Of course I wouldn't expect any carte blanche. She was kind of pushy, and we did accomodate her on some things. Idol's initial reply to Art made me laugh out loud.

Make up your mind,wishy-washy.Either I'm evil or I'm not.:balustrade:

Also unless I'm wrong and to my knowledge that would be a first or at least a first this minute,I'm beginning to see an accommodation pattern here.http://filesharingtalk.com/asset.php?fid=62876&uid=197932&d=1404320551

In light of that I should probably start posting nude bins or whatever those things are that seem to attract twats like shit attracts flies.

Present flies excepted of course.:wub:

Artemis
07-11-2014, 07:58 PM
I see I was at my most charming and erudite.... :naughty:

TheFoX
07-11-2014, 10:46 PM
I see I was at my most charming and erudite.... :naughty:

I'd expect nothing less.