PDA

View Full Version : Alternative OS for EEE PC

megabyteme
07-30-2014, 10:46 PM
I've got an EEE PC 1215B (http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-1215B-PU17-BK-12-1-Inch-Netbook-Black/dp/B004Q7LHVE) that has been crashing under multiple window strain. I could put Win7 back on it, which I expect would solve issue.

I do kinda like the idea of installing some sort of alternative for my 90%+ browsing use.

One snag: I do like to run my more powerful desktop for torrents, etc. from Remote Desktop.

Linux options have left me somewhat leery of trying to gain functionality that is not pre-packaged, and would prefer something more basic that does not require a Linux-type interface learning curve.

Chrome OS is tempting. Does it do a Remote Desktop feature? I'd guess not.

Android options that do not require touch screen? Maybe. No idea where to start.

I do watch quite a few Youtube videos (and other sites), so I'd need that functionality built in.

Ideas, please...

Artemis
07-30-2014, 10:58 PM
So what you really want is a Linux desktop that isn't so Linuxy??????? :blink:

megabyteme
07-30-2014, 11:20 PM
What's a gurl to do? :sadwalk:

Seems Chrome OS does have a free plugin that does Remote Desktop. That's a plus.

Rart
07-30-2014, 11:23 PM
You could try this? With Chrome OS.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/chrome-remote-desktop/gbchcmhmhahfdphkhkmpfmihenigjmpp?hl=en

Edit: Didn't see your edit.

Edit2: After a look around, this seems like probably the best way to get Chrome OS installed: http://zzsethzz.blogspot.com/2013/02/install-chromium-upgrade-it-to-chrome.html

megabyteme
07-31-2014, 03:28 AM
Thanks, Rart.

Has anyone lived with a standalone version of Chrome? Thought on it as an OS?

jebise
07-31-2014, 02:13 PM
How much ram does it have?

IŽd say some light linux distributions like "Lubuntu" or some other.
There are several of them, you might want to browse the web to
choose one that will fit to you.

Another idea is Win XP since it utilises 300mb ram if you have only 1GB.
Also W7 or W8 could be possible but iŽd recommend that you have 2GB RAM
for that.

Another funny thing, there is Android for x86! I got it running on a Virtual machine.
Basically if you do not need anything more than a smartphone can offer you could
think about that. Just be sure to have Root rights and use a real Firewall like AFwall / Droidwall
+ Avast for android and also Appguard so you can completely restrict the rights to Apps and
stay spyfree ( well, besides N54 and G00GL3.. and maybe M1CR050FT )..

Hope this helps a bit

anon
07-31-2014, 05:47 PM
How much ram does it have?

2 gigs according the link in the first post. Windows XP would run fast, if you're okay with missing on all the internal improvements and support for new programs available on 7 and above (I have an ultra-light version specifically designed for EEE PCs, though, if he wants to try it).

MBM: I'd just recommend a tweaked Windows 7 (it's what I run in my low-end netbook without any problems), but I get the feeling you're looking to try something different.

Rart
07-31-2014, 07:49 PM
Thanks, Rart.

Has anyone lived with a standalone version of Chrome? Thought on it as an OS?

If you're looking for something more lightweight, than yes Chrome OS (or linux) would be more lightweight, although Chrome OS is obviously more limited in what it can do. If you wanted an idea of what it can do... just use the Chrome browser. That's basically it.

Looking at that computer though Windows XP/7/8 should all work fine on it. If your current install is a little bloated you could just reformat.

megabyteme
07-31-2014, 08:56 PM
I think I might play around with some "live" versions of stuff I can run off of a thumb. Will let me know for certain if I have a Window$ problem, or a hardware issue.

I do use Chrome 99% of the time. Tend to be pretty happy with it.

jebise
08-05-2014, 03:52 PM
Had it on a 10" pc with 2GB Ram.. this is the minimum to run 7 or 8 on it. Both 7 and 8 had smaller
Ram usage automatically in my case. They ate about 600MB while my XP ate around 300MB.

The more RAM you have the more hungry it gets.

You still may use Linux if you donŽt need any specific MS feature.

spale
08-07-2014, 02:50 PM
Windows XP Home is ok for eee