PDA

View Full Version : Tsh closing down :/

zonta
08-03-2014, 10:15 PM
Edit:

Well, here we are again. :D

Didn't think we would be away for to long did you ?

Here's the story of events over the last week.

Earwig was tracked down by FACT and asked to hand over the domain torrentshack.net or face being dragged through the courts and who knows what after that. He made the right decision and did exactly what he was told and the domain is now in their hands. Please be aware that this in no way affects your security and no details at all have been given to anyone. The servers on which the site ran have now been taken offline by Earwig and any and all back ups have been destroyed.

Luckily for us though, Earwig was not the only one with access to the main site box. We have coders.....We have staff..... We have a belief to keep what was started alive ! We have a belief to carry on a ratioless tracker with friendly staff, we have a belief to be able to provide the fastest pre times. In short we have managed to get hold of one of the latest back ups before everything was taken offline :P

We have new hardware, new Domain, some new staff ! But the same beliefs, the same goals ! Hopefully we also have the same userbase behind us !

Things might be slow for the first few weeks as we get things online. We currently have no funds due to having to purchase new hardware for the site and we are still lacking a main seedbox from which to run the script. Our trusty uploaders will do all they can to make this period as painless as possible. Hopefully as soon as donations take off we can add these essential items very soon. But rest assured, we will get back to where we left off in no time !

Thanks to everyone that has been able to make this happen !

Welcome Home ;-)

new url: torrentshack.eu

It's with a heavy heart that I bring you this news post today.

It seems once again that FACT (Federation Against Copyright Theft) have gone after the small site rather than those that make thousands each and every month in profit.

But what can we do ? I guess small sites make for big numbers :-(

I have been under investigation by FACT for some time it seems and to avoid being dragged through the courts and having huge legal fee's I have to adhere to their demands.

They have said that I need to hand them over the domain to this site and to cease my involvement with running such a site. If I comply then any and all charges against me will be dropped.

This means that in the coming week the domain torrentshack.net (Registered to me) will be handed over to FACT for them to do with as they please. When this happens the site at this domain will no longer function.

This is the reason why the PayPal was removed from the site a few days ago as I did not want donations to be made that could not be used towards the costs of running the site.

They have not asked for anything from the DataBase. Simply that I stop what I am doing and sign over the domain. In simple terms, the Domain is simply the URL you type in to visit the site. It has no connection with your accounts, your security. There is no reason fro anyone to worry.

It's been a great run and I have really enjoyed what we have done here over the last few years. I want to thank everyone that has made it possible.

I guess I proved that what they said "Couldn't" be done.... Actually "Could" be done.

cry:

piercerseth
08-03-2014, 10:30 PM
Was really sorry to hear that.

I hope wig lands softly after the dust settles.

X
08-04-2014, 02:31 AM
Sorry to hear that. How open was Tsh? How many users?

Rart
08-04-2014, 02:49 AM
Never personally used the site but heard good things about it. Sorry to see it go down. Was it hosted in the UK?

megabyteme
08-04-2014, 04:16 AM
Was really sorry to hear that.

I hope wig lands softly after the dust settles.

+1 for earwig. Always been a good guy, going back 3 sites...

So many big, ugly profiteers in the community and FACT goes after one of the honest ones. :frusty:

Arguti
08-04-2014, 02:09 PM
My first source for everything new, more than a half of my total downloads. They made torrenting so easy and safe with their no ratio rules, no seedtimes and logs being deleted everyday.

I guess they have never been popular because it was not the kind of tracker made for teenagers, with plenty of user classes, bonus points to buy custom titles, badges, it was not super secretive or hard to get into and all those bullshits.

It was a tracker for true uploaders and downloaders, unique and will be missed.

turin
08-04-2014, 05:58 PM
Very sad news. Hope new sites emerges.

Thanks to Earwig for all the good work.

megabyteme
08-04-2014, 08:25 PM
Site Down.

It's gone completely now.

anon
08-04-2014, 11:39 PM
Thankfully they purged your snatchlist regularly, so had the database been seized, there would be less "interesting" data for the feds. That's something I wish other places could learn from.

Sometimes it seems this kind of trackers get all the C&D's and legal threats, while TL, What.cd or IPT have well over a hundred thousand users each yet seem to give a middle finger to the copyright mafia.

megabyteme
08-05-2014, 01:07 AM
FACT and their ilk are predators. Watch any of the nature shows, meat eaters seldom tangle with anything strong enough to fight back. FACT gets to show a victory in their column and everyone gets to pat themselves on the back. They certainly do not want to go up against a site that will taunt them like PirateBay so famously did...

Big sites have bigger resources to fight back with- and more reason to stand their ground. Small sites barely have enough revenue to pay a server bill- yet alone fight for their owner's real-world livelihood.

IdolEyes787
08-05-2014, 04:35 PM
FACT and their ilk are predators. Watch any of the nature shows, meat eaters seldom tangle with anything strong enough to fight back.

I know this is not what you in your self-righteousness want to hear but predators are necessary in Nature as they cull the weak and sickly and in doing so strengthen a species.Plus predators are cool and that is why sports teams have names like Raptors and Lions and Bengals and not Sheep and Pigs and Small Children.

Also if it's necessary to compare groups to animals then I guess that would make us bugs as we bravely feed in the dark but tend to scurry like cockroaches when someone turns on the kitchen light.

Yeah I know that's hard but the worst thing about the truth is that you can run from it as much as you want but in the end it's still basically inescapable.:mellow:

Rart
08-06-2014, 03:32 AM
I know this is not what you in your self-righteousness want to hear but predators are necessary in Nature as they cull the weak and sickly and in doing so strengthen a species.Plus predators are cool and that is why sports teams have names like Raptors and Lions and Bengals and not Sheep and Pigs and Small Children.

Also if it's necessary to compare groups to animals then I guess that would make us bugs as we bravely feed in the dark but tend to scurry like cockroaches when someone turns on the kitchen light.

Yeah I know that's hard but the worst thing about the truth is that you can run from it as much as you want but in the end it's still basically inescapable.:mellow:

You must be fun at parties. :mellow:

Sometimes it seems this kind of trackers get all the C&D's and legal threats, while TL, What.cd or IPT have well over a hundred thousand users each yet seem to give a middle finger to the copyright mafia.

Does anyone know where TSH was hosted though? Was it in the UK? Or does FACT have jurisdiction or influence in other countries?

megabyteme
08-06-2014, 06:09 AM

Other than making site owners paranoid to the 37th degree, there isn't a whole lot of benefit reaped from having the "weaker", non-profiteering sites removed from our community.

And as I see very little difference between filesharing and going to a library (which is deemed for the common good), I have to say the predators are doing little good for anyone. If I were to see a wolf pack off a small child in front of a library, I'd (actually go "HOLY FUCK!!! Did anyone else just see that?!!!) be inclined to put a stop to it after realizing that this was going to be a common occurrence.

And your analogy regarding the cockroaches barely fits. The only reason we run like Hell is because the penalties for such a minor "offense" are so disproportionate to justice there is no other choice. People have been sharing books since the first book was hand printed. Why should that change now? Or was that the activity of cockroaches sharing the Bible with each other?

smcewa11
08-06-2014, 07:07 AM
Does anyone know where TSH was hosted though? Was it in the UK? Or does FACT have jurisdiction or influence in other countries?

It is not really FACT but FACT in association with City of London Pipcu police unit and they are, allegedly, only bothering with UK created content. They have influence and not extra-territorial powers but they will liaise with 'local to national' organisations in other countries to reduce piracy.

Read it here: hxxp://www.cityoflondon.police.uk/advice-and-support/fraud-and-economic-crime/pipcu/Pages/Operation-creative.aspx and you see their methods.

piercerseth
08-06-2014, 07:38 AM

It is not really FACT but FACT in association with City of London Pipcu police unit and they are, allegedly, only bothering with UK created content. They have influence and not extra-territorial powers but they will liaise with 'local to national' organisations in other countries to reduce piracy.

Read it here: hxxp://www.cityoflondon.police.uk/advice-and-support/fraud-and-economic-crime/pipcu/Pages/Operation-creative.aspx and you see their methods.

It wasn't their servers or their PayPal. Their domain registrar rolled over and coughed up their info. Which unfortunately, turned out to be legitimate.

1000possibleclaws
08-09-2014, 08:08 PM
welp, there goes my last good 0day tracker

megabyteme
08-09-2014, 10:34 PM

I'll give you IPT or TL. PM me, if interested.*

*This offer is only for 1kpc. Anyone else whom I do not know will be reported.

IdolEyes787
08-09-2014, 11:52 PM

Ironically I reported you for offering invites outside the appropriate section.:)

Not really but more out of laziness than moral uncertainty.:)

megabyteme
08-10-2014, 12:59 AM
RealtY got his page views. That's the ruling morality of the times. Fact.

1000possibleclaws
08-10-2014, 04:42 AM

Thanks, I actually do have IPtorrents and it's the other tracker I use alongside whatcd. This is irritating though, because I relied on the top10 feature of TSH to keep up with all my tvshows. I imagine it would be alot more effort to sift through everything on IPT and I'll have to stay more organized so I'll remember to get my shows.

I miss the days when I could just browse FTN with the genre filters I had in place for my 0day stuff, cause the uploaders there only put up the most mainstream stuff. Is that site also permanently dead? It really sucked when it briefly came back so I'm not too hopeful either way...

absent_today
08-10-2014, 12:57 PM
It means its good news for GFT

ghurka
08-10-2014, 02:34 PM

Thanks, I actually do have IPtorrents and it's the other tracker I use alongside whatcd. This is irritating though, because I relied on the top10 feature of TSH to keep up with all my tvshows. I imagine it would be alot more effort to sift through everything on IPT and I'll have to stay more organized so I'll remember to get my shows.

I miss the days when I could just browse FTN with the genre filters I had in place for my 0day stuff, cause the uploaders there only put up the most mainstream stuff. Is that site also permanently dead? It really sucked when it briefly came back so I'm not too hopeful either way...
If you want to keep an eye on your favourite TV shows then you should consider TV Torrents. You can tag each show you like as a favourite and it brings all these shows up on a favourites page in chronological order. If I didn't use this I know I would miss so much.

zonta
08-10-2014, 02:38 PM

If you want to keep an eye on your favourite TV shows then you should consider TV Torrents. You can tag each show you like as a favourite and it brings all these shows up on a favourites page in chronological order. If I didn't use this I know I would miss so much.

or just use http://tvcountdown.com/

1000possibleclaws
08-10-2014, 07:33 PM
Thanks for those 2 ideas. I'll try out the one that doesn't need me to sign up to a new tracker first, looks nice if it does the same thing as TVT once I make an account.

It means its good news for GFT

Probably not, that site has never had decent activity in it's entire existence. This isn't gonna change anything.

smcewa11
08-13-2014, 01:41 PM
They are back, and accounts are still active.

TSH is up.
torrentshack.eu

From their site:

Well, here we are again.

Didn't think we would be away for to long did you ?

Here's the story of events over the last week.

Earwig was tracked down by FACT and asked to hand over the domain torrentshack.net or face being dragged through the courts and who knows what after that. He made the right decision and did exactly what he was told and the domain is now in their hands. Please be aware that this in no way affects your security and no details at all have been given to anyone. The servers on which the site ran have now been taken offline by Earwig and any and all back ups have been destroyed.

Luckily for us though, Earwig was not the only one with access to the main site box. We have coders.....We have staff..... We have a belief to keep what was started alive ! We have a belief to carry on a ratioless tracker with friendly staff, we have a belief to be able to provide the fastest pre times. In short we have managed to get hold of one of the latest back ups before everything was taken offline

We have new hardware, new Domain, some new staff ! But the same beliefs, the same goals ! Hopefully we also have the same userbase behind us !

Things might be slow for the first few weeks as we get things online. We currently have no funds due to having to purchase new hardware for the site and we are still lacking a main seedbox from which to run the script. Our trusty uploaders will do all they can to make this period as painless as possible. Hopefully as soon as donations take off we can add these essential items very soon. But rest assured, we will get back to where we left off in no time !

Thanks to everyone that has been able to make this happen !

Welcome Home

Alien5
08-13-2014, 04:22 PM
please

just fucking close. blame the new Hardware. :o

megabyteme
08-13-2014, 06:32 PM
They are back, and accounts are still active.

Good gnus!

messy
08-14-2014, 05:21 AM
I need to recover my TSH password. Any ideas? The new homepage only allows login, no link to recover.

piercerseth
08-14-2014, 05:35 AM
I need to recover my TSH password. Any ideas? The new homepage only allows login, no link to recover.
Try their IRC?

messy
08-14-2014, 02:38 PM
Try their IRC?

Sure, I'll try. Thanks. Can you provide me the server address?

piercerseth
08-14-2014, 04:11 PM
irc.p2p-network.net #TorrentShack-Help

1000possibleclaws
08-15-2014, 12:04 AM
I hope most of the members will realize that this url change happened!

turin
08-28-2014, 03:11 PM
And now it is back :-)
It has changed domain to .eu

mrnobody
09-06-2014, 05:37 PM
glad it was just .eu change. i was like "i got no other site to go to now" lol