PDA

View Full Version : Hoi Megabyteme

IdolEyes787
08-19-2014, 09:08 PM
I remember or imagined that you wrote about having seen All is Lost.

So did Redford's character die at the end or is that interpretation of him finally letting go of life/hope immediately leading to his salvation too esoteric.

megabyteme
08-19-2014, 09:49 PM
Director discusses this starting at 2:54 http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/interviews/a539951/jc-chandor-on-robert-redford-all-is-losts-ending-spoilers.html#~oNqwN77TstCFWK

Spoiler spoiler: The director left it vague and decisive and pats himself on the back for doing so. :ermm:

My thoughts when I saw it were that he pulled himself out of that last hopeless moment and was rescued by the ship.

--------------------

What did you think of the filum?

IdolEyes787
08-19-2014, 11:53 PM
Director discusses this starting at 2:54 http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/interviews/a539951/jc-chandor-on-robert-redford-all-is-losts-ending-spoilers.html#~oNqwN77TstCFWK

Spoiler spoiler: The director left it vague and decisive and pats himself on the back for doing so. :ermm:

My thoughts when I saw it were that he pulled himself out of that last hopeless moment and was rescued by the ship.

--------------------

What did you think of the filum?

Yeah I know.I read an article about how they tested a rough cut and in the stupid questionnaire* they audience was basically split down the middle on what actually happened.
Hated Life of Pi for the same sort for copping out.

If I'm in charge of how a movie plays out then I'm thinking I need both pay as a writer and a screen credit.

As for All is Lost,seemed to me to the opposite of a long story short so basically a short story long.Probably played much better on a big screen with the sound turned up to deafening levels like they do nowadays to really get a feeling of the sea.
I also read how Redford was the perfect choice for the role as it was more compelling or something to see a man of his stature be humbled and finally defeated but to me there isn't so much desperation in the struggle for life in someone nearer to death to begin with.

*Stories should be the result of a vision and not the result of a poll.That also means they should born from inspiration and not committee. That is one of the major reasons that films today seem so lacking risk and are so fucking homogeneous.

megabyteme
08-20-2014, 02:12 AM
Seems the film is even MORE pretentious at its roots than I thought. That's saying something. As for Redford, I just thought he was well-suited as his face now resembles driftwood.

More than the lack of definitive ending, I was left uncertain how he got where he was at the beginning of the film. No one just suddenly gets there.