PDA

View Full Version : Looking For A Book

CoolMac
11-23-2003, 10:14 PM
Always wanted to know some basic programming....

3rd gen noob
11-23-2003, 10:18 PM
what language would you like to learn?

CoolMac
11-23-2003, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by 3rd gen noob@23 November 2003 - 22:18
what language would you like to learn?
by languaje you mean : If possible in spanish (easier 4 me 2 understand
But if not english will do

If you mean computer languaje......Just the basics of making a very small program, altering existing programs

Thanx

Darth Sushi
11-24-2003, 02:54 AM
You just asked a loaded question. It would be better to state a specific goal such as: build a website, create games, become a programmer, write a MS-Word Macro, etc...

There are many computer languages for many situations: pascal, C, C++, cobol, JCL, Basic, Pearl, SQL, Visual Basic, Java, Fortran...etc.

When I went to college, pascal was used as a learning tool but it's not used in the real world. C is a good language to start with and will help you if you decide to learn C++, Visual C, etc. I do not recommend learning an object oriented or visual language as your first language (some may disagree). Languages like Visual Basic does not mean it's a simple language. :D To date, I have learn Pascal, C, C++, Visual C, Basic, Visual Basic, COBOL, Fortran, JCL, IMS, Telon, SQL, DB2, just to name a few.

"Altering existing programs" is not as simple as it sounds. If you have the source code, it would be pretty easy. But if you don't, that's hacker territory or at least a few years of serious programming experience. Source codes and compiled code are very different things. This will only make sense if you understand what a compiler does.

Like I said, give a specific goal and I'm sure someone can point you towards the right direction.

CoolMac
11-24-2003, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by Darth Sushi@24 November 2003 - 02:54
You just asked a loaded question. It would be better to state a specific goal such as: build a website, create games, become a programmer, write a MS-Word Macro, etc...

There are many computer languages for many situations: pascal, C, C++, cobol, JCL, Basic, Pearl, SQL, Visual Basic, Java, Fortran...etc.

When I went to college, pascal was used as a learning tool but it's not used in the real world. C is a good language to start with and will help you if you decide to learn C++, Visual C, etc. I do not recommend learning an object oriented or visual language as your first language (some may disagree). Languages like Visual Basic does not mean it's a simple language. :D To date, I have learn Pascal, C, C++, Visual C, Basic, Visual Basic, COBOL, Fortran, JCL, IMS, Telon, SQL, DB2, just to name a few.

"Altering existing programs" is not as simple as it sounds. If you have the source code, it would be pretty easy. But if you don't, that's hacker territory or at least a few years of serious programming experience. Source codes and compiled code are very different things. This will only make sense if you understand what a compiler does.

Like I said, give a specific goal and I'm sure someone can point you towards the right direction.
I think that c will do to start such as you speak of it to begin with
Where do i get an e-book with this?

thanx 4 the info

ps:I want to know what is the source code

Darth Sushi
11-24-2003, 03:26 AM
Originally posted by CoolMac@24 November 2003 - 04:03
I think that c will do to start such as you speak of it to begin with
Where do i get an e-book with this?

thanx 4 the info

ps:I want to know what is the source code
You're going to find out that C ebooks are harder to find than C++. Here's some C++ ebooks: http://klboard.ath.cx/index.php?showtopic=31855.

My advice is go to a bookstore or amazon.com and look at the selections available and read the customer response to the book. You'll find most programming books will clearly state what credentials are required to study.

BTW, source code is code written by the programmer in a specifec programming language. The compiler converts the source code into a format the computer understands (binary and hex).

CoolMac
11-24-2003, 03:31 AM
like sending encripted e-mails??

CoolMac
11-24-2003, 03:32 AM
Originally posted by Darth Sushi@24 November 2003 - 03:26

http://klboard.ath.cx/index.php?showtopic=31855.

plenty of stuff.....

bigboab
11-27-2003, 11:12 PM
You should try some of the second hand shops Mac. You find a lot of old computer books in them. 'C' can prove difficult for some people just learning. Pascal is a better introductory language and is generally used as a precursor to 'C' in some colleges.

CoolMac
11-29-2003, 01:08 AM
thinking it twice it looks too much difficult 4 a begginer.....

however you said that it's better 4 begginers??

Darth Sushi
11-29-2003, 01:23 AM
bigboab makes a valid point for pascal as a beginner's language. My concern is finding a Pascal Compiler these days. I forgot to mention, there are beginner's books that comes with a free CD that has a compiler you use and learn with. I know you wanted ebooks but it's hard to learn without a compiler.

CoolMac
11-29-2003, 01:44 AM
well e-books in general

i don't mind using notepad or whatever
i'm sure decompiulers can be found on any p2p programme

ooo
12-26-2003, 05:00 AM
i say first language to learn should be html... you get a basic understanding on programming althought it doesnt really help you w/ anyother language lol...

javascript is helpful since its pretty similar to other languages...
c++ wasnt that hard either... after you know a language you can easily catch on to them..

TRshady
12-26-2003, 02:32 PM
I think learning php, mysql and css is the way forward in programming :D
Then again, if not web development, the go for c++. I wanted to learn it earlier this year, (some may remember my post asking for guides/books), but gave up on the first paragraph where they go .... "ok, compile this" ..... wtf? :blink:

Then spent another week finding out where to get a compiler and how to set it up. Saw a snippet of php ... shady was conveted :D

CoolMac
12-27-2003, 12:44 AM
i already know html, php, mysql and a bit of asp

i got a good guide in spanish for c too

bob_the_alien
12-27-2003, 07:15 AM
A good non-visual programming language to start with, is Q-Basic. You have to learn how to setup a program in advance with it, because you have nothing visual to start with, so you need to know what your doing. It also gives a good way into Visual Basic, and the C languages, because it's their fore father, and while many things have changed, you will still find many things the same. Q-basic and Visual basic are indeed similar, so you can move directly into Visual Basic from Q, and then on to the C, cuz they are more similar to Visual basic.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents on the matter of which programming language to start with. As for books on the matter, I really have no idea, I used a combination of internet searching and High school and college classes to learn the programming languages I know.

CoolMac
01-01-2004, 03:02 AM
I got an excellent guide for java in spanish, the problem is that i forgot were did i took it...

Afronaut
01-02-2004, 02:07 PM
Im sharing books you might want to see, (c++ professional programmers handbook for example)
in SoulSeek (http://klboard.ath.cx/index.php?showtopic=45353).

Hop in and PM me there.

Cheers:
-GS-