PDA

View Full Version : which router to try?

fpsfreak
08-23-2014, 12:48 AM
i have the medialink 300 router and i think it sometimes does hiccups.which router should i give a try? budget is about $70

megabyteme
08-23-2014, 12:54 AM
First off, what are your primary and occasional uses? Are you an online gamer, use streaming services (Netflix/Amazon, etc.), do large amounts of downloading, etc.? Are you using it for a single room, or as a wireless hub for a whole house? Would your budget stretch for more advanced features available in alternative firmwares?

Price may not be the number one factor in helping you decide on the right choice, although just about everyone wants reliability, speed, connectivity. Give us some info, and I'm sure you'll get some good advice here.

fpsfreak
08-23-2014, 12:59 AM
well 1 desktop+1 laptop.xbox 360 gaming.two tv's with netflix.i have 50mb comcast connection.we just do alot of youtube,browsing emails,netflex.when sisters come over computers is at around 5-6 max.

piercerseth
08-23-2014, 01:29 AM
If you're willing to put in a little effort, Asus RT-N16 w/ custom firmware. Amazon and NewEgg have em for right around 82USD. If you need 5GHz the N56 is about 88USD.

EDIT: the only other model that I'm aware of at that price point is the DIR-655, which I don't care for. Although, it is a bit cheaper.

megabyteme
08-23-2014, 04:23 AM
I have personal experience with the DIR-655, which lasted me quite some time. It is an older model, which does not accept custom firmwares. I'd skip it for a more modern unit, honestly.

I also had an Asus N56, which was decent enough. I was not overly pleased with the way the unit stands. Once you get it loaded up with cables, they wanted to drag it off my window sill. I also prefer a unit that has adjustable/replaceable antennas. I returned this unit for its (few) shortcomings, and the fact I was given a Linksys WRT610N. It also does not have external antenna, but has been suitable broadcasting from our lower level to the upstairs.

If you are on a single level, I'd give the nod to the Asus N56 at its current price. If you are trying to cover a larger area, it may not be the best option.

TP-Link also has some offerings in the price range. Read enough reviews first, and there may be a worthwhile option there.

piercerseth
08-23-2014, 06:43 AM
I have personal experience with the DIR-655, which lasted me quite some time. It is an older model, which does not accept custom firmwares. I'd skip it for a more modern unit, honestly.

I also had an Asus N56, which was decent enough. I was not overly pleased with the way the unit stands. Once you get it loaded up with cables, they wanted to drag it off my window sill. I also prefer a unit that has adjustable/replaceable antennas. I returned this unit for its (few) shortcomings, and the fact I was given a Linksys WRT610N. It also does not have external antenna, but has been suitable broadcasting from our lower level to the upstairs.

If you are on a single level, I'd give the nod to the Asus N56 at its current price. If you are trying to cover a larger area, it may not be the best option.

TP-Link also has some offerings in the price range. Read enough reviews first, and there may be a worthwhile option there.

:yup: Sound advice. I'm a huge fan of external (removable) antennas. It sucks the 66r/u's are so much more money. (At that point you could start shopping 80211AC gear)

megabyteme
08-23-2014, 09:05 AM
We are both very much on the same page here, ps. The only other thing I would add is that the router is so central to every device it touches that being tight fisted (not that $80 is entirely unreasonable) here will bite the user in the butt for the entire lifespan of the device. Considering the amount of time one sends data through the router, we are talking about numerous hours waiting for lag (we've all waited for leg, haven't we... :P ) while we could be more productive/enjoying our games, etc. that the difference between $80 and $130 ($50 additional now) comes to pennies per day of use. Just a thought.

turin
08-23-2014, 02:56 PM
I have two routers from D-link, a wired and a wireless. Both are working nicely!

FlyDrago
09-18-2014, 08:16 AM
I'm Using Netgear and its working amazing

NZBgrog
01-26-2015, 12:42 PM
i like the netgear nighthawk.

anon
01-26-2015, 05:25 PM

Wi-Fi? What's that?

Mutantx
01-29-2015, 05:35 PM
Custom firmware has been mentioned before but depending on sort of tweaking you like to do. Almost everyone loves their Asus routers but may not be the route for you if $ is a factor.

-Mutantx

rango3221
02-05-2015, 01:44 PM
the firmware on the asus routers is very stable out of the box when compared to some other manufacturers. If you like to tweak things and want to squeeze a little more performance out of your asus routers, it is easy to do so with a custom firmware.

usekitty
02-06-2015, 03:34 AM
the firmware on the asus routers is very stable out of the box when compared to some other manufacturers. If you like to tweak things and want to squeeze a little more performance out of your asus routers, it is easy to do so with a custom firmware.

I second this. I too have an asus and love it. Totally recommend it.

vinnyb
02-21-2015, 02:02 PM
I would also recommend asus...I just got a asus n66u..use to have a lot of dead zone but know I can even go outside and sill works.

shaina
03-18-2015, 06:23 AM
I find with high speed services today all the internet providers offer there modem router combination as a free rental bonus I just got the hitron cg3 ac technology modem router and it seems to work great
the wifi range has definitely expanded my backyard is quite long and it works great and I have my modem router on the second floor
and with the new speeds the providers are offering they force you to use there equipment or the hi speeds are not offered
the only problem I had was setting up my network was a little buggy but speeds were unbelievable (300Mbps) and constant

I would check with your internet provider and see what they offer