PDA

View Full Version : looking for a new usenet provider

goingape
10-07-2014, 09:35 PM
hi

i just tried to download a few files from usenet with astraweb

what a hell that was connection problems max limited connection messages no download halve downloads
it was no fun at all most of the time i was figuring out what the problem was but there was no problem

so now i had it

so does someone know a good usenet provider where you can download from and at least has stuff

astraweb has become a nightmare

sandman_1
10-08-2014, 12:24 AM
Welcome to the world of DMCA take downs. Like others have suggested, try getting a Euro provider along with Astraweb.

Screener
10-08-2014, 02:25 PM
I would try an supernews unlimited account and a blockaccount from blocknews as backup.

I downloaded over 6 tb with supernews!!! At the same time my blockaccount was charged with ca. 120 gb

justlooking
10-09-2014, 12:18 AM
Astraweb's European server doesn't take things down as quickly as the American server. Some newsreaders don't seem to be able to download from both servers properly. For example, Altbinz isn't downloading from the European server, but if I put only the Euro one in Newsleecher, the file is still there.

DngrMs
10-09-2014, 11:53 AM
Emphasis added:

...try getting a Euro provider along with...

...unlimited account and a blockaccount

This is really the only advice anyone needs, the number of times it needs repeating makes me weep.

sandman_1
10-09-2014, 11:21 PM
Emphasis added:

...unlimited account and a blockaccount

This is really the only advice anyone needs, the number of times it needs repeating makes me weep.

I bet it is tears of joy though. :D

Camel
10-18-2014, 03:05 AM
I like easynews. They include a web interface along with nntp service. The also have a global search site which helps find files etc. you can then create and download an nzb or the files themselves.

DngrMs
10-22-2014, 01:11 PM
There's actually nothing wrong with Astraweb...

Primary (AW) This Week: 57.6 GB
Backup (EUR) This Week: 160 MB

Nothing incomplete or at worst irreparable.

Edit: and lol my backup/block account is 500 GB... glad it's a "lifetime" account!

Johndon
10-22-2014, 02:20 PM
I would avoid us servers where ever you decide to go, as I hear some make a difference. Im looking for new plan myself, as everything seems to go down within 5 hrs these days.

Beck38
10-23-2014, 02:01 AM
everything seems to go down within 5 hrs these days.

Of course, if by 'everything' (which you and others seem to never specify) you mean pro-wrestling and/or p0rn, or (occasionally) captured pay-tv fare, you might be right. Then again, I get tons of that captured pay-tv fare weeks after it's posted, with no problem whatsoever, using the same settings as 'Dngrms' above, with a third and fourth fills (Blocknews and Giganews) that never seem to get used.

I haven't run into any 'movies' or even 'tvshow' posted blurays with missing pieces (either posted from the EU or from NA) for so long I almost don't remember (I'm talking 5+ years ago at least).

I continue to 'test' my postings going back too many years to count, on a weekly basis, even though due to some heavy hardware failures the last couple weeks (yes, Virginia, even WD Black drives, still within their 5yr warranty, take a dump), along with a 10yo crt monitor (replaced with a LCD/LED), and one of my large NAS machines (Seagate drives) having problems as well (still being worked on), means that my 'process' has come to a direct halt.

But I can still check on things from other still working machines.

Despite the 'sky is falling' of a year or two ago, the number of mainstream things that go off to the bit bucket are extremely minimal.

Johndon
10-24-2014, 12:38 PM
I meant mainstream tv/movies(I thought it was obvious).Nothing else I download seems to be affected. But the time frame may not actually be that small, but say something was released that night it's always gone by the morning for me.

Beck38
10-24-2014, 02:49 PM
I meant mainstream tv/movies(I thought it was obvious)

Nothing is 'obvious', then again, define your idea of what is 'mainstream'. If I adjust my eye/brain filter to the typical network broadcast tv fare, there does seem to be tons of it, all seemingly 'in the clear' (no obfuscation, no encryption) but the few things (from that kind of source) that make it to my DVR recorder 'series list' is pretty minimal. And I'll wait until it gets our on Bluray before making the decision to actually archive it away in one form or another.

There have been (in the recent past) high-profile (broadcast) network tv stuff that folks here and elsewhere reported being targeted pretty heavily, the one that sticks in my mind is 'The Arrow', although it's barely on stations that only loosely can be called a 'network' (what is it, the WB or UPN or what is it they're calling themselves this week?).

But again, whoever is going to the trouble of capturing it, processing it, and posting it, mostly isn't doing the most basic 'next step' of obfuscation/encryption, so at the end of the day, it's no wonder they get 'whacked'. But I guess they're relying on auto-grabbing schemes to distribute their 'work'. So if you aren't up with any of those, you're probably missing out.

Personally, I go that next step and like all the work I put into something, to LAST. But you're right, a lot of poster folks don't care, they're in a 'race' to post fast and get taken down fast.

chromatical
10-30-2014, 10:12 AM
Have a look at tweaknews.eu I use them and supernews. tweaknews is europe based and generally offers some quite reasonable packages. Also doesn't appear to suffer from takedowns