PDA

View Full Version : US servers blocked by Comcast Business?

coyote2
10-26-2014, 03:14 PM
This morning I couldn't get any Usenet data from news.giganews.com, downloads were all defaulting to my (lower priority) "fill server" news.tweaknews.eu

Giganews chat suggested I use news-europe.giganews.com instead and that fixed it. I'm using a Comcast Business account.

Beck38
10-28-2014, 11:46 PM
That is always something that lingers at the back of my mind, as I am on Comcast 'business class' as well, and there were reports several years ago about such crud happening with Comcast (but if my memory serves, not a 'fer sure' thing, it wasn't specifically something to do with their 'business class') but was basic residential service.

And this was back when they (Comcast) was playing around with 'caps' and such as well. What was going on with pinging them, or running a tracert (although you have to remember that Giganews uses a wacky 'forward routing' system that is supposed to route you to the nearest plant, either US or EU, depending on where you physically/internet wise, you are) and that can result in some fairly weird results.

But I use a VPN for virtually all my traffic (don't need Comcast snooping, using their 'deep packet inspection' machines) but that runs into the occasional problem as well. But not today, I just did a fair amount of NZBcc checks on Giganews/US and no problems.

But it might be their US (in Los Angeles) plant had something going on, you might try it again now or later and see what gives.

Beck38
11-12-2014, 06:43 PM
Like I said, 'lingers' in the back of my mind.

Ran into a bit of a problem with Slingbox the last couple weeks, in that I was getting a lot of disconnects (and reconnects) and slowdowns especially when I took it up to 'HD' quality from 'SD'.

Did a lot of testing, and figured out that it was indeed Mr. Comcast mucking around with Slingbox traffic, which I could get around by putting that traffic on my VPN (but because of some h/w limitations can't do my 'regular' stuff over VPN at the same time).

So it appears that the 'techniques' they have used in the past to muck around with P2P has how been swung around to target Slingbox traffic as well.

I can't wait to move out of Comcast territory and get on Muni broadband (fiber) where the speeds are 10x higher at half the cost (already researched out and have realty agents looking for a house there, some 100 miles from where I live now).