PDA

View Full Version : Tweaknews- another recent Highwinds/UNS acquisition

meatball
01-20-2015, 05:26 PM
Sorry if this already been discussed (I didnt see it) and I'm guessing a lot of you are aware but it's worth repeating: Tweaknews is yet another acquisition of Highlands goal of owning/monopolizing Usenet.

It appears to be official, Cambrium bites the dust...

Highwinds completed an acquisition of Base IP BV (as-euroaccess) in late spring/early summer 2014. In June 2014, Highwinds filed to form "Base Network Services B.V." (60916605) to hold the assets of Base IP BV.
Records for business # 60916605 were recently amended and is now known by the names "Base Network Services B.V." OR "Tweaknews"

cardboardbox
01-21-2015, 01:01 AM
Sorry if this already been discussed (I didnt see it) and I'm guessing a lot of you are aware but it's worth repeating: Tweaknews is yet another acquisition of Highlands goal of owning/monopolizing Usenet.

It appears to be official, Cambrium bites the dust...

Highwinds completed an acquisition of Base IP BV (as-euroaccess) in late spring/early summer 2014. In June 2014, Highwinds filed to form "Base Network Services B.V." (60916605) to hold the assets of Base IP BV.
Records for business # 60916605 were recently amended and is now known by the names "Base Network Services B.V." OR "Tweaknews"ugh, where do we go now? Tweak was the only reasonably priced provider who didnt do take downs instantly.

brap
01-21-2015, 02:43 PM
There's more discussion over at https://www.reddit.com/r/usenet/comments/2sxh7o/now_that_tweaknews_has_most_likely_been_acquired/

A nice services map: http://www.reddit.com/r/usenet/wiki/providers#wiki_usenet_services_map

And a list of European block account providers: http://www.reddit.com/r/usenet/wiki/blockaccounts

Usenetbucket (https://www.usenetbucket.com/en/) seems to be getting good reviews, but they don't offer block accounts. I might try SSL-News (https://www.ssl-news.info/index.php) for a block account when I've used up my TweakNews GB's.

cardboardbox
01-21-2015, 03:39 PM
There's more discussion over at https://www.reddit.com/r/usenet/comments/2sxh7o/now_that_tweaknews_has_most_likely_been_acquired/

A nice services map: http://www.reddit.com/r/usenet/wiki/providers#wiki_usenet_services_map

And a list of European block account providers: http://www.reddit.com/r/usenet/wiki/blockaccounts

Usenetbucket (https://www.usenetbucket.com/en/) seems to be getting good reviews, but they don't offer block accounts. I might try SSL-News (https://www.ssl-news.info/index.php) for a block account when I've used up my TweakNews GB's.usenetbucket is terrible for take downs. Similar to Highwinds from what I remember.

brap
01-21-2015, 04:06 PM
usenetbucket is terrible for take downs. Similar to Highwinds from what I remember.

So you've used them before? I'm happy to hear any other suggestions before moving from TweakNews.

cardboardbox
01-21-2015, 04:20 PM
usenetbucket is terrible for take downs. Similar to Highwinds from what I remember.

So you've used them before? I'm happy to hear any other suggestions before moving from TweakNews.
I've been with usenetbucket for the past 3 months and my account expires in 2 days. I was planning to go back to Tweak but with Highwinds buying them I am holding off. I did try the Tweak trial and it was much better than Bucket. Perhaps Tweak is not yet using the HW back end?

Yeah usenetbucket is pretty awful. If you dont grab something in less than 24 hours, very good chance its gone. I recently decided to try the tv show Arrow and I couldnt even get Web-DLs of some ep's of the current season on Bucket.

brap
01-21-2015, 04:41 PM
I've been with usenetbucket for the past 3 months and my account expires in 2 days. I was planning to go back to Tweak but with Highwinds buying them I am holding off. I did try the Tweak trial and it was much better than Bucket. Perhaps Tweak is not yet using the HW back end?

Yeah usenetbucket is pretty awful. If you dont grab something in less than 24 hours, very good chance its gone. I recently decided to try the tv show Arrow and I couldnt even get Web-DLs of some ep's of the current season on Bucket.

That doesn't sound good. To be honest, I'm more interested in a block account. I've still got about 100GB on TweakNews, so, hopefully, a decent alternative will emerge by the time I've used it up. It will also allow me to judge how bad TweakNews will have become after the Highwinds purchase.

Please let me know if you find a good alternative to TweakNews (and Usenetbucket). Thanks.

cardboardbox
01-21-2015, 07:34 PM

That doesn't sound good. To be honest, I'm more interested in a block account. I've still got about 100GB on TweakNews, so, hopefully, a decent alternative will emerge by the time I've used it up. It will also allow me to judge how bad TweakNews will have become after the Highwinds purchase.

Please let me know if you find a good alternative to TweakNews (and Usenetbucket). Thanks.
I've been waiting almost an entire day for cheapnews to activate a trial account for me. Not a good sign that it takes this long and I wasnt expecting much based on reviews. I'll likely get 1 month basic with Tweak since the trial I tested a couple days ago was much better than Bucket. I have a huge backlog of nzb's that I couldnt get on Bucket due to take downs and overall crappy completion. I'll buy Tweak monthly until I find a better provider or they turn into Highwinds crap.

Heard good things about Newsoo but at 8 euros its too expensive for me. Tempted to try it... If they had 3 mo unlimited for about 18 euros I'd try it.

brap
01-21-2015, 08:27 PM

I've been waiting almost an entire day for cheapnews to activate a trial account for me. Not a good sign that it takes this long and I wasnt expecting much based on reviews. I'll likely get 1 month basic with Tweak since the trial I tested a couple days ago was much better than Bucket. I have a huge backlog of nzb's that I couldnt get on Bucket due to take downs and overall crappy completion. I'll buy Tweak monthly until I find a better provider or they turn into Highwinds crap.

Heard good things about Newsoo but at 8 euros its too expensive for me. Tempted to try it... If they had 3 mo unlimited for about 18 euros I'd try it.

Yeah, I might try Newsoo, but there largest block account is only 40GB; however, it might be worth a try at only 5 Euros.

Jackamabob
01-22-2015, 05:01 AM
I was very bummed out when I heard this as they're currently my primary provider. Piercerseth posted this link (http://filesharingtalk.com/external/?https://www.reddit.com/r/usenet/comments/2svrxc/happy_new_year_from_highwinds_and_tweaknews/) in the Watch out for newshosting newsgroup server con game (http://filesharingtalk.com/threads/457570-Watch-out-for-newshosting-newsgroup-server-con-game)thread a few days ago. I haven't seen it fully discussed before though.

myself12345
01-22-2015, 08:04 PM
Usenetbucket sucks no only are the stupid expensive they don't offer block accounts they also don't allow proxie and if you download too much they can cancel, suspend, or decline to renew service

https://www.usenetbucket.com/en/legal/acceptable-use-policy/

There are other resellers of the same back-end that don't have this stupid rules.

stuhere
01-23-2015, 06:52 AM
i like using supernews

cardboardbox
01-23-2015, 07:24 PM
I ended up buying 3 months of Tweak and 3 months of Usenetbucket, both 10Mbps, for a total of $19.38. I want to figure out something cheaper before my 3 months are up.

So far, I'm able to get more from Tweak than Bucket. Hoping the two combined is enough but a lot of stuff I used to not have problems getting is completely gone from both of them.

meatball
01-24-2015, 10:48 PM
Once the tweaknews/Highwinds transition fully takes effect, Tweak will be a disaster. HW responds to pull down requests in under 60 min now. That coupled with the fact that they are clearly trying to monopolize the industry, it's important as consumers we dont give them out money. Like any other monopoly, once they officially have a stranglehold on the usenet vertical, we're guaranteed that prices will go up, service will get worse and speeds will slow. Plus it's seemingly becoming clear (have no proof of this) that they are in collusion with the big hollywood groups. Those groups flood the smaller independent providers with pull down requests to the point where they can't keep up. They dont have the resources or capital to comply or if they do try, the profit margins dissipate to the point where t's no longer viable to stay in business- which makes them ripe for the picking. Highwinds is in the business of acquiring companies, plain and simple.

piercerseth
01-25-2015, 08:53 AM
That's a nice sentiment, but when 98% of users are unabashed leeches and/or frequent automated indices, it kinda falls on deaf ears. They simply don't give a fuck. HW will consolidate til they're blue in the face, and then folks will be like the Little Red Hen.

Beck38
01-26-2015, 12:13 PM
Quite frankly, it's been so long since I've tripped across anything that's been ('redacted' seems to be the proper term for things DMCA'd perhaps?) due to all the ways folks hide things (without even falling to private encryption schemes) I don't know what to think anymore. The amount of 'stuff' that's still completely 'in the clear' without any obfuscation is still pretty large, with what appears to be no attempt whatsoever in whacking it that I can see.

I used to, when all this started (about when a couple of popular indexing sites went under a few years back) re-post lots of those items that did get nailed, using a obfuscation scheme of my own 'invention', and they are still in existence on the major servers last time I checked (although they may have 'rolled off' of the current indexing sites).

Then again, I don't follow what appeared to be, in the past, the heavy targets (pro-wrestling an p0rn) so who knows. But I think the folks who DO at least some obfuscation have proven that minimal effort does pay off, and I still maintain a 100% record of everything I've ever done is still there, days/weeks/months/years later.

Bottom line is, if folks are seeing their 'work' disappear quickly, then they aren't doing that minimal 'due diligence' in trying to hide it. I'm sure they are relying on 'quick download' schemes instead of using 2nanowatts of brainpower to obfuscate.

Hypatia
01-26-2015, 10:19 PM
Beck38

Once there are only highwinds scums and gigashit left uploading will become almost impossible due to them banning left and right uploaders accounts.

Another thing, I'm pretty sure Highwinds and MAFIA has some sinister plans for usenet. I won't be surprised that once they acquire all available infrastructure they will turn it into something else, probably into "paid content on demand" service.

vigalent
01-27-2015, 06:27 AM
Tweak has been great to date, I wonder how long before it turns complete rubbish :(

MrBogus
01-27-2015, 08:43 AM
Tweak has been great to date, I wonder how long before it turns complete rubbish :(
I totally agree with you. This is really bad news.

phillyc
01-27-2015, 11:37 AM
awaits the "download your nzb in x seconds" message while stupid ads play in the background.

Beck38
01-27-2015, 10:22 PM
Beck38
Once there are only highwinds scums and gigashit left uploading will become almost impossible due to them banning left and right uploaders accounts.

I don't think it's 'quite' to the 'sky is falling' stage yet. Yes, it looks like highwinds is following the Comcast (US) corporate takeover scheme in gobbling up a lot/most/all? of the smaller operators. Perhaps it's the cost analysis of trying to compete against Astraweb/Giganews, adding to the plants while not allowing anything to 'roll off', so some industry-wide concentration is bound to happen.

dwa
01-28-2015, 12:33 AM
Sad news, I'll think 2 times before my incoming renewal

PossumK
01-28-2015, 06:23 AM
Doh, just renewed for another 3 months recently. Hope it's not affected for a while.

02-11-2015, 08:54 PM
Tweak's servers have now switched over, headers look like a typical highwinds setup & no more X-Trace

221 0 <[email protected]> head
Path: news.astraweb.com!border6.a.newsrouter.astraweb.com!news.astraweb.com!border5.a.newsrouter.astraweb.com!bcyclone05.am1.xlned.com!bcyclone05.am1.xlned.com!posting5.xlned.com!feeder.cambriumusenet.nl!feed.tweaknews.nl!posting.tweaknews.nl!fe54.am1.POSTED!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: alt.binaries.teevee
Subject: Re: [231876]-[FULL]-[#a.b.teevee@EFNet]-[ Modern.Family.S03E18.BDRip.XviD-DEMAND ]- modern.family.s03e18.bdrip.xvid-demand-sample.avi
References: <part1of36.2nqrXG0Yq1XZY9H6&[email protected]>
Lines: 2
Message-ID: <[email protected]>
X-Complaints-To: [email protected]
NNTP-Posting-Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 20:47:31 UTC
Organization: Tweaknews
Bytes: 667
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 20:47:31 GMT
X-Received-Bytes: 699
X-Received-Body-CRC: 3276776729

cardboardbox
02-13-2015, 07:28 PM
Tweak's servers have now switched over, headers look like a typical highwinds setup & no more X-Trace
sigh, I have 2 months and 9 days left on tweak. Last I checked I was able to grab a lot more from them than usenetbucket but I guess thats going to change.

spiralout9
02-14-2015, 09:03 AM
That sucks. I'm glad I held off on paying for a Tweaknews account.

gooberling
02-14-2015, 10:37 PM
Yeah, I'm glad I held off on renewing as mine's expiring in a few days. I get that these guys have to do take downs, but do they have to do them immediately? Anybody know how long they have under DMCA rules to comply?

voodu
02-16-2015, 06:05 PM
My tweaknews account stopped working on 11th Feb and no record of it in my dashboard. There is a notice that they had trouble migrating some accounts and are working 'as fast as possible' to fix it but 6 days to migrate some accounts seems pretty excessive.

NNTP
02-16-2015, 10:03 PM
My tweaknews account stopped working, too. After waiting for two days I contacted support and got issued a new account with new login credentials. I had the basic plan with about 5 weeks remaining and got a new 3-month basic plan.

voodu
02-17-2015, 12:05 AM
I thought it would be pointless to contact them initially because I saw their notice that they were working on it and assumed everything would be migrated by the time they replied.

But yeah, considering 6 days have passed with no update, I will contact them now to see if they can sort it out. Thanks for your feedback.

dlee021772
02-17-2015, 07:03 PM
Darn, I thought TweakNews was good. I hope it takes a while for DMCA takedowns!

Quickman
02-18-2015, 04:40 AM
Even the free 1 Mbit address no longer works. Not that it would have been much use anymore. God damn highwinds! :(

bubjet
02-20-2015, 02:51 AM
I have a block account with Tweak. I used them as a backup server due to their more lax takedowns. Does anyone have a good alternative for this?

meatball
02-28-2015, 05:47 PM
Yeah, I'm glad I held off on renewing as mine's expiring in a few days. I get that these guys have to do take downs, but do they have to do them immediately? Anybody know how long they have under DMCA rules to comply?

That's the thing, the dmca laws are poorly written which is why they get abused. All of them auto-dmca I'd guess, it's just a matter of timing. Currently highwinds and Xsnews are the fastest takedowns

gooberling
03-03-2015, 04:37 AM
Well, I went back to Astra. Guess I have to be quicker on the jump to grab stuff.

knightmire
03-09-2015, 12:20 AM
I'd been using tweaknews for a long time but recently a lot of removed tv shows and stuff. I just reupped for 6 months then the same day decided to try bucket. I was so impressed I updated from the free to a 6 months there. Stupid tweak wouldnt let me cancel or downgrade or anything. F those guys. Just gave the account to a friend.

david25
04-12-2015, 07:47 AM
I have a block account with Tweak. I used them as a backup server due to their more lax takedowns. Does anyone have a good alternative for this?

Seconded, what is the next best alternative please?

NNTP
04-13-2015, 01:51 AM
If you're looking for a lifetime block account that is not served by Highwinds, basically all that's left is Astraweb, Newsoo and XSnews (+ resellers). So it's actually not too expensive to just get accounts at all of them and see whichever works best.

gloster
04-19-2015, 12:42 PM
My 3 months Tweaknews subscription expired Friday, I knew it was coming but usually get sent a renewal discount email, though didn't happen this time and no discount offered.

Since dumping torrents about 7 years ago I've been with Hitnews, XLned and most recently Tweaknews which I note are all Highwinds based on the Reddit list. Am currently giving UsenetBucket a try, Im aware it receives mixed reviews on here but I seldom download really old stuff, the only problem I can recall was trying to get series one of Person Of Interest. Finally there was little benefit to signing up for a 3 month account so will try it month by month. Other than that might try Cheapnews or return to a Highwinds provider.

I think the key is to stay away from Public trackers and or grab fast to avoid DMCA issues (remembers a nightmare several years ago trying to grab the last of the Batman trilogy).

cardboardbox
04-21-2015, 11:29 PM
My 3 months Tweaknews subscription expired Friday, I knew it was coming but usually get sent a renewal discount email, though didn't happen this time and no discount offered.

Since dumping torrents about 7 years ago I've been with Hitnews, XLned and most recently Tweaknews which I note are all Highwinds based on the Reddit list. Am currently giving UsenetBucket a try, Im aware it receives mixed reviews on here but I seldom download really old stuff, the only problem I can recall was trying to get series one of Person Of Interest. Finally there was little benefit to signing up for a 3 month account so will try it month by month. Other than that might try Cheapnews or return to a Highwinds provider.

I think the key is to stay away from Public trackers and or grab fast to avoid DMCA issues (remembers a nightmare several years ago trying to grab the last of the Batman trilogy).I've been using both bucket and tweak for the past three months and tweak has been far better for takedowns. My bucket just expired and I think my tweak account will expire in a couple days. Thinking of giving Astraweb a shot if I dont get the discount email from tweak. Or might try Frugal. I know, just another highwinds reseller, but its good enough until I find something better.