PDA

View Full Version : Which service do you use for secure storage?

praveenrajan
02-02-2015, 05:48 AM
Which service or application do you use for secure data storage?

anon
02-03-2015, 01:45 AM
Keep copies of your data on multiple encrypted hard disks, and you can't go wrong.

Beck38
02-03-2015, 04:42 AM
Unless you get that data outside of your home/business/neighborhood/state/country you're probably asking for trouble.

There are lots of paid 'cloud' services, but they charge (usually) based on the size of the data stored, and then you're still taking a bit of a chance depending on how 'good' that service is, how much redundancy they have (in a single or multiple plants) and there may be an additional charge to retrieve the data (unknown) or charges based upon the speed of that retrieval (I've seen all kinds of charges this way or that).

In any case, you need to encrypt that data with your own system and keys (that may be 'built in' to the application said cloud service gives you) or maybe not, which means you need to encrypt with your own application.

I save all my data (that is on RAID array's to begin with) on Bluray discs AND on the worlds largest cloud infrastructure, USENET. Obviously, encrypted multiple ways, both in transmission (SSL encapsulated within OpenVPN) and in data (encrypted RAR sets). Once posted to one server, the data is automatically propagated to all other servers around the planet, in multiple nations on multiple continents.

Retrieval is done either with an unlimited account (on whatever server one wishes since the data is propagated to ALL services) or with a 'block' account that one only pays for the retrieval (at any time one wishes). The only thing necessary is a decent internet connection, to both post and retrieve. Since the Aug08 time, no data has 'rolled off' any of the major providers, so from that standpoint it's about as 'forever' as one could get.

There are commercial 'cloud' services that do pretty well, but the point is, at what cost? And it costs $x per byte every day/month/year that data is stored, not a single cost to first store and then retrieve.

piercerseth
02-03-2015, 07:05 AM
I "borrow" one of my company's LTO6 autoloaders on the weekends.

jmike314
02-03-2015, 12:45 PM
Home NAS backed up to encrypted drive once a month.

anon
02-03-2015, 09:27 PM
I "borrow" one of my company's LTO6 autoloaders on the weekends.

That's awesome! I once looked into tapes as a high capacity solution for archiving backups, but tape drives are so expensive. For the cost of one, I can buy many terabytes' worth of regular hard disks :blink:

piercerseth
02-04-2015, 07:49 AM
That's awesome! I once looked into tapes as a high capacity solution for archiving backups, but tape drives are so expensive. For the cost of one, I can buy many terabytes' worth of regular hard disks :blink:

That was mostly as an experiment and to cover myself in a real oh shit scenario. It's a shame current drives are pretty much enterprise-only. Your way makes way more sense. For the $5K I'd have to spend on the hardware + tapes I could buy a stack of reds (or blacks even) and replicate my zpool to a remote site.

andreta
02-14-2015, 09:47 AM
Keep copies of your data on multiple encrypted hard disks, and you can't go wrong.

This .

I have 3 copies of all my data on seperate HDs at all times; the most frequently used stuff is spread over 4 internal drives, and gets cloned almost daily (SuperDuper, on a Mac) to external drives .

praveenrajan
03-09-2015, 06:31 AM
Ya keeping a backup data in your home system is better than keeping it on cloud. I have seen many security breach incidents recently, i prefer to keep my important data in my home computer and will access it from anywhere by using basefolder application.