PDA

View Full Version : Is what.cd an outdated torrent website?

soulreaper
02-08-2015, 06:15 PM
So umm what's the point of having 2 mil torrents when you can't dl without worrying about your ratio? :blink:

And isn't their concept of "seed everything forever" an outdated and quite frankly ridiculous concept? I thought it would be a little more advanced in the 21st century. :rolleyes:

So they say upload but most of what you have is probably on the site anyway. Filling requests takes an unreasonable amount of time to find stuff with a decent bounty plus it costs money. Suppose you do get that cd/app to fill a request, someone else did it like 1 min before you and you're screwed. So money =wasted and 0 gigs uploaded. Again an IMPRACTICAL and unmanageable concept.

Then their "freeleech" which happens like what once a year? So to get some music that I like I need to wait a whole year? Seriously? :lol:

Let's face it, what.cd has grown so big it's become unmanageable and is facing a leecher crisis. People with seedboxes and pocket money+free time to upload stuff/fill requests can thrive there but for everyone else its almost like rapidshare, get a little and be happy. That defeats the purpose of piracy.

Why not open up the site for pay to leech? Why not have more freeleeches or hand out tokens more frequently instead of having it like once a year? How about stop being so damn stingy all the time? It's quite clear they're trying to coerce uploads and keep like 7 yo torrents seeded. So what are reseed requests for then?
I mean it's all nice n pretty, well organised but functionally what.cd just sucks cause the bottomline is you can't dl worth shit unless it's a freelech which happens once a year or some lame staff picks . If you dl FLAC goodluck being above the minimum ratio.

threelions00
02-08-2015, 06:57 PM
Damn those people forcing you to use the site.

Rart
02-08-2015, 07:42 PM
Didn't what.cd introduce some new ratio system a while back where as long as kept seeding your torrents the ratio requirements were lower? Is that still in effect?

Either way I really don't see the need for what.cd to be perfectly honest. Spotify pretty much satisfies all my needs in terms of music. For the small minority that still really cares about having pristine, locally stored flac rips of all their music, maybe they're willing to put up with all the hoops that what.cd forces you through.

Why not open up the site for pay to leech?

I don't think thats the right way to go about it for any site.

ca_aok
02-09-2015, 03:36 PM
Because unlike 0-day sites those 7 year old torrents are actually in demand when new leechers come looking for a certain album.

I hit Elite there on a crappy home connection in about 6 months through some hard work. It's not impossible.

Pay to leech is a terrible idea and destroys torrent retention, which is the entire point of the site.

And yes, the lower required ratio system is still in effect. 20GB of free music (quite a bit if you're grabbing MP3s) before you even have a required ratio, assuming you keep everything seeded. And a paltry ratio requirement afterwards.

IdolEyes787
02-09-2015, 05:29 PM
I hit Elite there on a crappy home connection in about 6 months through some hard work.

Yes but enough about your mental problems.

What I really want to know is how can there be a post-Rock when there's still Rock?

threelions00
02-09-2015, 06:28 PM
What I really want to know is how can there be a post-Rock when there's still Rock?

Sand.

soulreaper
02-10-2015, 02:53 AM
Damn those people forcing you to use the site.

padutch is that you? :lol:

Because unlike 0-day sites those 7 year old torrents are actually in demand when new leechers come looking for a certain album.

I hit Elite there on a crappy home connection in about 6 months through some hard work. It's not impossible.

Pay to leech is a terrible idea and destroys torrent retention, which is the entire point of the site.

And yes, the lower required ratio system is still in effect. 20GB of free music (quite a bit if you're grabbing MP3s) before you even have a required ratio, assuming you keep everything seeded. And a paltry ratio requirement afterwards.

Yo caaok, can u tell the what.cd mods to have that mug rusak distribute his 260 TBs to poorer members? Why does he need that much? :lol:

smcewa11
02-10-2015, 04:40 AM
It works for them, if you dont like it you could always spend all the real life money to buy the stuff you get there for free.

soulreaper
02-10-2015, 01:40 PM
It works for them, if you dont like it you could always spend all the real life money to buy the stuff you get there for free.

Thing is anyone without a seedbox with a regular line(lets say 100 KB upload which is most internet connections unless you're in Seoul or Stockholm) ;) have to go out of their way for upload credit. It's either fill requests or bust and finding torrents to fill requests isn't easy at all. They're basically saying to you "Upload torrents or gtfo" indirectly ofcourse. Why does every member expected to upload?

The seeder/leecher ratio = 88:25. Clearly overseeding is a problem in what.cd and the what.cd staff/reps keep deflecting from these problems. I mean even if I upload a torrent I won't get more than 1:1 with seedbox autosnatchers. The ratiosystem was designed to ensure everyone seeds back what they leech, but now others are seeding way more than they should preventing those who wanna share and thus inhibit their ability to download. That is a clear abuse of the system.

In short, seedboxers are killing regular users. Just ban the pricks, why don't they? Regular connections are fast enough to get your music, I don't see any reason for seedboxes besides buffering up to copious amounts that's probably never used. They're fucking up the ratio system, you know it, the staff know it yet they're allowed to abuse the system. Why?

I'm seeding 300 torrents and I haven't uploaded a byte for 2 weeks straight now. Seeding 300 torrents to gain 100 megs is already dumb. 100 megs is barely 1 album. LOL cmon get real.

The whole point of having a large "library" is that people are able to download whatever they want ,whenever they want. Most users have so much ratio anxiety that they go to rutracker and maybe even demonoid to get music and try to cross seed.....Defeats the purpose.Why have what.cd at all when people can't download comfortably? It's a broken system that needs fixing.

I mean why do people on let's say the piratebay upload? Do you think they get anything back? Nope they don't besides a thank you. TPB hasn't exactly crashed(besides govt raids), matter of fact they have one of the biggest selection of torrents. So why does what.cd complain about not having incentive to upload? That's a bullshit reason. Fact of the matter is those who like to upload will upload. Those who don't, won't like every other torrent site so I don't think those who don't wanna upload should be forced to do it....indirectly!

threelions00
02-10-2015, 03:34 PM
padutch is that you? :lol:

I don't know who that is. sorry

soulreaper
02-10-2015, 05:39 PM

Caaok I can't disagree with your points, they're totally on point. The problem I have is with your ideology of working hard on a torrent site. I find that thought disturbing. Why should you work hard on a torrent site? Think about that for a minute. Do you not see that there's something intrinsically wrong with that? I mean sure ok you do what they tell you to do and you get a ratio but at the end of the day we're all pirates leeching illegally. Tomorrow you get caught you'll be in jail and then you'll laugh about how serious you were. I don't think we should make a big deal about leeching freely. The whole point of torrenting is to get stuff for free and with ease. That's why people use torrent sites cause it's easy and you don't have to pay for it.

Don't you think there's something wrong with the system when you can't recommend a real life friend to what.cd given that it's the biggest music library on earth? If I invite someone and tell them how to keep a good ratio they'll think I'm crazy. What do you think about that?

Heck even waffles let you exchange points for freeleech or downloads, I wish what.cd let people buy tokens or implement some type of seed bonus system for those who just can't get any upload/upload too slow(like 100 mb/per month).

tgp
02-10-2015, 07:07 PM
Why should you work hard on a torrent site? Think about that for a minute. Do you not see that there's something intrinsically wrong with that?
No, not at all. Keeps the bums out. Use your brain, have some dedication and you'll be alright. If you can't cope, tough shit.

threelions00
02-10-2015, 07:29 PM
Sweet jesus. Stop ya moaning and move on to a different site. All sites have rules. Whatcd has rules. IPTorrent has rules. We don't all agree with how the sites are run so if we don't like it, then tough. Remember when you hit the sign up button? Pretty sure it had something like you accept the terms and conditions. Seriously, you are acting like an old dog that needs putting down to relieve you from your misery. So I think most will agree - you don't accept their system, then don't use their site. And as for all your 'hard' work…someone already suggested buying it instead.

soulreaper
02-10-2015, 10:23 PM
Sweet jesus. Stop ya moaning and move on to a different site. All sites have rules. Whatcd has rules. IPTorrent has rules. We don't all agree with how the sites are run so if we don't like it, then tough. Remember when you hit the sign up button? Pretty sure it had something like you accept the terms and conditions. Seriously, you are acting like an old dog that needs putting down to relieve you from your misery. So I think most will agree - you don't accept their system, then don't use their site. And as for all your 'hard' work…someone already suggested buying it instead.

Using your own retarded logic I'm not forcing you to read my post, so why are you whining about my whining? Put me on ignore if it bugs you so much. As a member of what.cd I do feel the need to raise this issue that not just me but tons of their users are downright fed up of and the apathetic nature of their admins is worth bringing up because they stopped caring since they get their torrents whether their members are happy/not. It's a pathetic attitude to have and downright capitalistic. So they should probably stop being such hypocrites and stop telling us beautiful stories about giving back to the community because that is a big fat lie.

Why should you work hard on a torrent site? Think about that for a minute. Do you not see that there's something intrinsically wrong with that?
No, not at all. Keeps the bums out. Use your brain, have some dedication and you'll be alright. If you can't cope, tough shit.

LOL@dedication. No I don't need to dedicate myself to a friggin torrent site.Tough shit. And what exactly do you mean by using my brain? I'm talking about downloading from what.cd without worrying about your ratio which is nigh impossible unless you have a 100-200 gb buffer. It's a failed system when one user has 260 TBs on his account while others can't get 10 gigs to save their lives.

Didn't what.cd introduce some new ratio system a while back where as long as kept seeding your torrents the ratio requirements were lower? Is that still in effect?

Either way I really don't see the need for what.cd to be perfectly honest. Spotify pretty much satisfies all my needs in terms of music. For the small minority that still really cares about having pristine, locally stored flac rips of all their music, maybe they're willing to put up with all the hoops that what.cd forces you through.

Why not open up the site for pay to leech?

I don't think thats the right way to go about it for any site.

I think I'll have to get upto speed with Spotify since these stubborn what.cd admins will do nothing to fix their broken ratio system. Can you listen to any song of any artist or just popular tracks?

smcewa11
02-11-2015, 12:00 AM
I dont get why you are not making your point on their site. They will tell you the same as us in that you like it or lump it.

There are scores of tactics/things you can do to boosts your ratio there but the problem is not them it is you because you want it all without doing anything in return.

As for all your seedbox envy, you can get one for yourself for under $10 a month then people can whine about you. You are already a fan of pay2leech so spending some cash should not be a problem for you. If they have a freeleech week get a seedbox for it and whore like a mofo, cost $5to $25 for a gb/sec box for a week and you will not have to worry about ratio again. No one elses ratio will be harmed by freeleech week seedbox frenzy.

Do what many others do and get as much as you can from sites other than what.

tgp
02-11-2015, 01:46 AM
I'm talking about downloading from what.cd without worrying about your ratio which is nigh impossible unless you have a 100-200 gb buffer.
Just because you can't doesn't mean it's impossible. I have over 10GB buffer on a 100kBps ul line. Never worry about ratio. You have to put in some work, download strategically, seed 24/7. It's like the real world: if you don't work, you starve. Entitlement won't get you anything.

Spotify or a seedbox are probably more your style. You can try Spotify, Rhapsody and other streaming services for free for a month. They have bigger archives than any torrent site, but I still find them lacking in certain genres. The ease of use can hardly be topped though. I still use the free ads version of Spotify to check out albums.

threelions00
02-11-2015, 03:34 PM
My retarded logic? Someone has to pity you. I class it as taking one for the team. You are the one blabbering like a baby on here. Your whining is actually quite funny. Like smcewa11 says, go and have it out with them! My point is that you should just move on mate. If they are not for you, then why bother going on about it? In many ways, I actually agree with you. And yes, the admins and owners have reached a point with their popularity that people will pay. I think they refer to that as a business. Yes, they may be selling out their users to make some dollar but welcome to the world. Torrenters are not exempt from this. How about you go off and find a site/app and then get back to us and turn this negative into a positive. Perhaps whatcd have done you a favour pushing you away from them. Anyways, people have offered sound advice to your needs so go with it and enjoy. Whatcd is not the only place out there! Good luck.

soulreaper
02-11-2015, 05:49 PM
I'm talking about downloading from what.cd without worrying about your ratio which is nigh impossible unless you have a 100-200 gb buffer.
Just because you can't doesn't mean it's impossible. I have over 10GB buffer on a 100kBps ul line. Never worry about ratio. You have to put in some work, download strategically, seed 24/7. It's like the real world: if you don't work, you starve. Entitlement won't get you anything.

Spotify or a seedbox are probably more your style. You can try Spotify, Rhapsody and other streaming services for free for a month. They have bigger archives than any torrent site, but I still find them lacking in certain genres. The ease of use can hardly be topped though. I still use the free ads version of Spotify to check out albums.

Ok sounds good. I didn't give Spotify much thought cause of selection and couldn't get it on my ipod mini.

I dont get why you are not making your point on their site. They will tell you the same as us in that you like it or lump it.

There are scores of tactics/things you can do to boosts your ratio there but the problem is not them it is you because you want it all without doing anything in return.

As for all your seedbox envy, you can get one for yourself for under $10 a month then people can whine about you. You are already a fan of pay2leech so spending some cash should not be a problem for you. If they have a freeleech week get a seedbox for it and whore like a mofo, cost $5to $25 for a gb/sec box for a week and you will not have to worry about ratio again. No one elses ratio will be harmed by freeleech week seedbox frenzy.

Do what many others do and get as much as you can from sites other than what.

Thought seedboxes cost 40-50 bucks a month,didn't know you get one for 10

My retarded logic? Someone has to pity you. I class it as taking one for the team. You are the one blabbering like a baby on here. Your whining is actually quite funny. Like smcewa11 says, go and have it out with them! My point is that you should just move on mate. If they are not for you, then why bother going on about it? In many ways, I actually agree with you. And yes, the admins and owners have reached a point with their popularity that people will pay. I think they refer to that as a business. Yes, they may be selling out their users to make some dollar but welcome to the world. Torrenters are not exempt from this. How about you go off and find a site/app and then get back to us and turn this negative into a positive. Perhaps whatcd have done you a favour pushing you away from them. Anyways, people have offered sound advice to your needs so go with it and enjoy. Whatcd is not the only place out there! Good luck.

I know my views are kinda utopic and they need a bit of out of box thinking to process, but thx anyway.

ca_aok
02-11-2015, 07:11 PM
Your views aren't utopic, they're irrational. The entire reason What.cd got to the place it is today is because of the difficulty seeding. It encourages both long term seeding and uploading every single random weird album possible, creating the largest music collection in a private tracker (Rutracker probably has more and it's probably a better site for someone with your ideals). Every single ratioless music tracker that's every been created has a terrible selection compared to What because there's nothing driving your average user to upload. This is fine for TV or movie sites because having a bot upload new scene rips suffices for content, but the music scene is much more selective in their releases.

I hit Elite there on a crappy home connection in about 6 months through some hard work.

Really I'd be more curious about how you're pushing 25000 posts here and still haven't bashed your head through a wall yet :P

As for your question, clearly it's short for poster-rock. An obvious mistake :rolleyes:

soulreaper
02-11-2015, 07:20 PM
Interesting,caaok. So you don't think there's anything irrational about seeding a torrent for 2-3+ years? I'm curious to know how is this system of having a torrent seeded till the end of time(because afterall that's what you're looking for a torrent to be ALWAYS seeded regardless of how old it is) a functional/practical one? You do realize that is the fundamental drawback of the bittorrent protocol that you're trying to mitigate right? You're trying to mimic a filehosting service where files will ALWAYS be available on a torrent site? Isn't that irrational?

Why not just keep the torrents instead of deleting them when there are no seeds and request for a reseed? KG does it and it works just fine? So lets say a user wants a very old torrent and if it doesn't have a seed then he could just request for one and that notification could go to all those who downloaded that file. Not only will this take away the burden of seeding every file forever but it would also test who's genuinely in it to help out this thirsty user. :P

I got a reseed request at BCG and I pulled out the file from my external and helped this guy out. See how genuine a sharer I am,caaok? :D

IdolEyes787
02-11-2015, 07:47 PM

Really I'd be more curious about how you're pushing 25000 posts here and still haven't bashed your head through a wall yet :P

As for your question, clearly it's short for poster-rock. An obvious mistake :rolleyes:

You hate me because you can't be me.

Anyway since you pretend to know stuff which btw is irritating and you should stop before someone makes you,please tell me how Mark Ronson is listed as the main performer on Uptown Funk and yet when Andy Williams sings Moon River nobody is wank enough credit Henry Mancini as the title artist?
It's because he's a Jew,right?

No wonder They has a bad reputation.

PS sorry to be off topic on this fascinating discussion which I don't actually give a fuck about.

PPS I have bashed my head through several walls so shows what you know,erstwhile type.

P2PDog
02-12-2015, 04:37 AM
Interesting,caaok. So you don't think there's anything irrational about seeding a torrent for 2-3+ years?

There's nothing irrational about that at all. It takes less effort to keep seeding something than not. To not seed something you have to select it and choose to delete it. To keep seeding it you have to do nothing, not a single thing. It will just sit there and keep on seeding. No effort at all.

I have some torrents at what.cd that have been seeding for almost 7 years. They're music files so they don't take up much disk space and it takes absolutely zero effort to just keep on seeding them. I've got lots of stuff that's been seeding for a long time. I do nothing and it just sits there gaining me upload credit which I can use to download anything and everything that catches my interest. I then leave those downloads seeding which gains me even more upload credit which I can use to download new stuff. See how that works?

Perhaps if you would keep your stuff seeding for longer periods of time you wouldn't have to whine about how hard it is to gain upload.

I'm curious to know how is this system of having a torrent seeded till the end of time(because afterall that's what you're looking for a torrent to be ALWAYS seeded regardless of how old it is) a functional/practical one? You do realize that is the fundamental drawback of the bittorrent protocol that you're trying to mitigate right? You're trying to mimic a filehosting service where files will ALWAYS be available on a torrent site? Isn't that irrational?

Why not just keep the torrents instead of deleting them when there are no seeds and request for a reseed? KG does it and it works just fine? So lets say a user wants a very old torrent and if it doesn't have a seed then he could just request for one and that notification could go to all those who downloaded that file. Not only will this take away the burden of seeding every file forever but it would also test who's genuinely in it to help out this thirsty user. :P

I got a reseed request at BCG and I pulled out the file from my external and helped this guy out. See how genuine a sharer I am,caaok? :D

Or, if they're small files, like most music for example, you could just keep them seeding in your torrent client and the person looking for them could just download them instead of having to request them.

megabyteme
02-12-2015, 06:37 AM
There's nothing irrational about that at all. It takes less effort to keep seeding something than not. To not seed something you have to select it and choose to delete it. To keep seeding it you have to do nothing, not a single thing. It will just sit there and keep on seeding. No effort at all.

I do tend to agree with this. As long as the file(s) are <150MB, they really aren't hurting anything. I've got a ton of audiobooks seeding at MAM, which can just keep going as far as I care. Like the site, so I'm supporting it that way.

whatcdfan
02-12-2015, 06:26 PM
If you want to download the free stuff "without an effort", you should know that there are people who have worked hard to make that stuff "freely"available for you.:mellow:

As ca_ok said for an 0day tracker it's different but can you imagine how much music albums are released every single day worldwide? far, far larger then any other type of media. It's impossible to build a music library that suffices your music desires without putting the effort What.cd motivates you to. Having said that it has a limit to it or the system will become so heavy that it will collapse on itself. Currently seeder/leechers ratio stands on 84. I obviously don't have any administrative knowledge to run a tracker but I hope staff knows what they are doing.

You're probably better of looking for stuff at other places. There are tons of blogs (which specializes in the genre's you listen to) and Scene does pretty much everything these days. Also, as someone has suggested, there is the mother of all trackers, the Rutracker. They won't force you to upload anything, still they have a mammoth music library probably because Russians are infected with some kinda upload motivating syndrome. rusak is Russian too. Last time I checked he was on 21 TB's not sure how he built that buffer in a matter of few years.

I have uploaded 736 torrents on Rutracker only because I like to upload and share music. 90% of which are perfect FLACS (most of them downloaded from What.cd) I don't seed a single torrent on there, I get a good bit of leechers to back up my uploads. I don't upload on What.cd unless I need buffer cuz my uploads are so rare music, whenever I upload, nobody downloads my stuff :cry:

mrnobody
02-12-2015, 07:21 PM
i consider sites like bib and what to be more like trade station. if you download something and in order to not poop on your ratio, you gotta upload something eventually.

i don't really like the concept but apparently it works. it somehow makes userbase upload more content. requiring users to upload in-order to advance in class apparently also does the job.

IdolEyes787
02-12-2015, 07:33 PM
If you want to download the free stuff "without an effort", you should know that there are people who have worked hard to make that stuff "freely"available for you.:mellow:

Musicians work hard learning their craft, measurably much harder than anybody of a torrent site and yet you don't seem to have the same sense of empathy when stealing their stuff.

You want to steal stuff,fine but don't have the affront to try and make me believe that "out of the goodness of anybody's heart" factors into the equation.

1000possibleclaws
02-13-2015, 12:55 AM
The system without a doubt is proven to work. The evidence is the the fact that it is able to retain such a ridiculously high number of active torrents.

Rart
02-13-2015, 03:36 PM
Your views aren't utopic, they're irrational. The entire reason What.cd got to the place it is today is because of the difficulty seeding. It encourages both long term seeding and uploading every single random weird album possible, creating the largest music collection in a private tracker (Rutracker probably has more and it's probably a better site for someone with your ideals). Every single ratioless music tracker that's every been created has a terrible selection compared to What because there's nothing driving your average user to upload. This is fine for TV or movie sites because having a bot upload new scene rips suffices for content, but the music scene is much more selective in their releases.

Playing the devil's advocate here. Given the effort needed to maintain a ratio at what.cd and considering the opportunity cost of that effort... wouldn't it be a more efficient use of your time to, you know, get a job (or work more at an existing one) and buy the music yourself?

megabyteme
02-13-2015, 05:05 PM
considering the opportunity cost of that effort... wouldn't it be a more efficient use of your time to, you know, get a job

"Why you not doctor yet?"- Rart's dad

P2PDog
02-13-2015, 07:00 PM
It's an "effort" to maintain a ratio at what.cd? Really? Are you guys so out of shape that you get winded clicking on a mouse or occasionally typing on a keyboard?

Not to mention that what.cd's ratio requirements are so ridiculously low that for all but heavy downloaders it's practically ratio free.

Rart
02-13-2015, 07:31 PM
I'm not a member at what.cd. Ca_aok's post seems to imply that you have to be careful and selective in your downloading habits, and scour the web/your local store to find and locate music that isn't on the site in order to upload it. Also you might potentially have to purposefully download music you're not interested in to pad your ratio (that's how I would try to get a buffer on a hard to seed site, although I haven't done that in a long time). Complaints from the other posts on this thread also seem to indicate that keeping a ratio is pretty difficult.

Keep in mind I prefaced my post by saying I was just playing devil's advocate for the sake of discussion. I'm simply curious as to how many people might have considered that if you don't like spending effort to manage a what.cd ratio, that simply working a bit and earning the money to actually buy the music might be a better use of your time. I think it's a fairly interesting point to discuss and a logical transition of the topic. Piracy is a response to unrealistic market tactics and prices. In a landscape where music is getting cheaper and subscription services are becoming more prevalent, is what.cd as necessary as it used to be?

whatcdfan
02-14-2015, 06:12 AM
Musicians work hard learning their craft, measurably much harder than anybody of a torrent site and yet you don't seem to have the same sense of empathy when stealing their stuff.

You want to steal stuff,fine but don't have the affront to try and make me believe that "out of the goodness of anybody's heart" factors into the equation.

+1 for the logic. And yes I do have sympathy and I hate myself for doing it. I thought about going all legal on my music but my finances don't yet allow me too. I'm on the very edge of giving up listening to music all together, my excuses for piracy won't suffices for my innocence I guess.

Until 2011 I purchased selective music. I know of the stores that will get you entire Qobaz release for 9 euros and Amazon V0's for under 2 euros. I'm so fucked up, I still can't get it legal, shame on me :slap:

smcewa11
02-14-2015, 12:08 PM
It is pretty rare for me to use What as I am not as big a rare music fan as it seems you all are. One day of seedbox time on it six or so years ago and I upped 300gb. That was with a 100mb box. Seedbox plus free leech equals win on What. It really is that simple.

soulreaper
02-16-2015, 01:32 AM
I'm not a member at what.cd. Ca_aok's post seems to imply that you have to be careful and selective in your downloading habits, and scour the web/your local store to find and locate music that isn't on the site in order to upload it. Also you might potentially have to purposefully download music you're not interested in to pad your ratio (that's how I would try to get a buffer on a hard to seed site, although I haven't done that in a long time). Complaints from the other posts on this thread also seem to indicate that keeping a ratio is pretty difficult.

Keep in mind I prefaced my post by saying I was just playing devil's advocate for the sake of discussion. I'm simply curious as to how many people might have considered that if you don't like spending effort to manage a what.cd ratio, that simply working a bit and earning the money to actually buy the music might be a better use of your time. I think it's a fairly interesting point to discuss and a logical transition of the topic. Piracy is a response to unrealistic market tactics and prices. In a landscape where music is getting cheaper and subscription services are becoming more prevalent, is what.cd as necessary as it used to be?

You put it more eloquently than I did so thank you for that. The thing about what.cd(those who don't have the time/inclination to scour the web for upload material OR those who don't have seedboxes which btw is the general torrenting populace) is that if it truly serves as a library then any member of that site should have the ability to download whatever they want whenever just like when you go to a library all you have is a membership card and you get whichever book you want as long as it's available. At what.cd you can't do that unless you have a huge buffer(which btw you have to work hard for in the first place which you don't have to at a library),you have to literally pick and choose what to download or wait for a freeleech which btw even those with massive upload credit wait for which just tells you their system is inherently flawed, just read their posts in the forums and you'll laugh. Just look at how many users complain about their ratios in their help forums yet the apathetic staff just post useless impractical links to ratio building. :lol:

Thus what.cd is not a library and it fails at being one since that's what they purport to be. The whole point of torrenting is not have to separately pay for it like netflix or any other paid subscription but you're doing it on what.cd either via renting a seedbox or filling a request by preordering CDs. If you're paying to torrent then that torrent site has failed and it becomes a paid subscription essentially. I'm actually totally ok if they called themselves a paid service like rapidshare because then the users aren't fooled into thinking that it's free so they can get what they want. I just love how music sites diss pay to leech because NEWSFLASH you are paying to leech either via renting a seedbox or preordering CDs which you maynot even hear to fill requests!

And these seedboxers are mostly kids with spare pocket money to waste let's be honest here. I'd rather spend that money on food, it's not that I'm a brokeass bum, its just that I don't like funding fraudulent orgs like what.cd and other torrent sites that coerce donations/uploads. Heck i'm a pirate, why should I pay a single buck to thieves essentially? I mean who's to say that these frauds wont' leak your payment info to the anti-piracy goons if they take them down which is gonna be what.cd's ultimate fate anyway. Lot of oink and SCT users were worried sick if their payment info like their credit card info was handed to these anti-piracy bullies, heck they still are.

smcewa11
02-16-2015, 10:30 AM
I was starting to write a large response but decided to delete it and just reiterate that it is their site, their rules, and if you dont like it you are free to start your own site with whatever rules you want.

Funkin'
02-20-2015, 08:38 AM
Somebody in this thread is completely right while everybody else are completely wrong.

IdolEyes787
02-20-2015, 06:00 PM
Somebody in this thread is completely right while everybody else are completely wrong.

I hate to inform you but no one is ever completely wrong. Of course I might be totally mistaken about that.

A
03-02-2015, 05:36 PM
Does ca_aok sound like cock or is it just me?

megabyteme
03-02-2015, 06:09 PM
Does ca_aok sound like cock or is it just me?

He's usually alright. :idunno: