PDA

View Full Version : Finally cutting the cable cord.Need advice.

IdolEyes787
03-12-2015, 05:15 PM
I'm wondering what's the best reasonably priced option,full-on HTPC,media extender or android streaming device as I'm seeing this as a TV/movie playing device with no storage or gaming options needed(?)

Feel free to elaborate at length or talk down to me .I've built a couple of PCs but when it comes to this sort of home theater/ xmbc streaming stuff I'm an absolute noob.

Skiz
03-12-2015, 11:58 PM
I can't speak for them first hand, but if you're looking to just stream, I continually hear good things about the ASUS Chromebox if you're looking to run XBMC/Kodi.

edit: Found this list on their boards and it also lists it as a good basic setup. http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=94268

I would go for the "futureproof" option but maybe that's just me. I just hate setting things up and they aren't to my picky high standards.

[The "I Want The BEST Kodi Experience Possible. Period. And I Demand it Be Future Proof!" Category]

This is still dominated by Nvidia+Linux (or Windows 7+AMD) in my opinion. But the difference between the best and a Chromebox is slight. You will need to build a custom rig, preferably with a GT 630 V2 GPU (aka the best HTPC GPU ever) or better to even make it worthwhile. That GPU plays all my h264 2160p files, and runs Aeon Nox at 4k perfectly at 60fps so I can recommend it also for older system you want to make into Kodi machines. Here is a good starting point for the quest of building a HTPC:

http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/rmp_sg_whirlpoolpcs_htpc

Honestly only freak shows like me who care that their interlaced VC1 files are played perfectly should be building a box for Kodi if you are starting from scratch. Or gamers. Like one of my primary systems is this overclocked i5 rig so it can launch Wii games out of Kodi. That needs more than a Chromebox, but none of that is Kodi.

The only REAL benefit just for media purposes is the upgradability. Soon we will have cheap Nvidia GPUs that decode the meanest HEVC like nothing, and that means a custom built box can accept that upgrade some day. But if you have a new nice 1080p TV you really like then just buy a Chromebox.

IdolEyes787
03-13-2015, 01:01 AM
Thanks Skiz, the Chromebox certainly seems like the sensible choice but I'm concerned about the tiny storage if I decided I wanted to run a couple additional programs on it.
If I move up the Ausus line into something "better" I'm very quickly approaching mid range build your own HTPC price territory.

As much as I'm sick of paying $110 a month for cable when there's practically nothing ever on worth watching, I see I'm going to have to do some serious research and number crunching before I make a decision.
I think I really need to better wrap my head around it being built for a certain (limited) function and not needing to be another desktop computer.

I would go for the "futureproof" option but maybe that's just me.

No I'm pretty sure no one really needs a Rolex over a Timex either but they still seem to sell a lot of Rolexes

megabyteme
03-13-2015, 01:09 AM
I didn't remember Chromebox being so inexpensive ($159). That does make it an interesting choice for XBMC. The plus with Amazon's Fire TV is that their dashboard gives access to Netflix, Amazon Prime, apps, etc. It has similar specs (2GB RAM/ 8GB SSD) and can be had on sale for $85 w/ remote.

As for storage, I've been fine with the 8GB. Use Plex for all of your network-saved files (on a PC) and you've got all the room you want.

Skiz
03-13-2015, 02:14 AM
As much as I'm sick of paying $110 a month for cable when there's practically nothing ever on worth watching, I see I'm going to have to do some serious research and number crunching before I make a decision.

$500 for a badass Windows PC that delivers everything you could ever want, fully versatile to run bittorrent and everything else you're used to as well. And that's a PC that you won't have to upgrade for a very long time. Likely not until it just flat breaks and doesn't work anymore. Grab a remote to go with it if that helps. That's how I do it. The new-ish Kodi remote control app on iOS is also fantastic, not sure about Android; prob the same. Pay that $500 and never look back. Don't think about it too long or you'll have another $110 in cable that you could have put toward it. :)

You could always just load it all on your current PC and test it all out as well. I assure you tho, Kodi is the way to go.

Gribley
03-13-2015, 06:54 AM
I'm wondering what's the best reasonably priced option,full-on HTPC,media extender or android streaming device as I'm seeing this as a TV/movie playing device with no storage or gaming options needed(?)

Feel free to elaborate at length or talk down to me .I've built a couple of PCs but when it comes to this sort of home theater/ xmbc streaming stuff I'm an absolute noob.

I have no problems at all with Raspberry Pi2. Kodi (OpenElec) runs very smooth, supports CEC over HDMI so can use normal TV remote to navigate (or use Yatse on your Android/XBMC remote iPhone)..... silent, small and now very fast with its' little quad core SOC.

All that for £30 don`t see how you can go wrong. Would definitely suggest you try one before investing in a HTPC (you can always sell it on with a minor if anything loss on ebay). OpenElec is free http://openelec.tv/get-openelec you just need a microSD card (and who doesn`t have a few of those hanging around)

I use mine with TVersity on my PC (it is on 24/7 anyway) but you don`t need a UPnP server stuff. I also have a few NFS shared drives available to my network with my collections of movies/tv and generally the Pi is used against those. It can also link to NextPVR TV tuner on the PC, stream icefilms etc (tvaddons plugin)... the little bugger can do virtually anything

IdolEyes787
03-13-2015, 11:49 AM
Could you repeat that except this time in English?

You could always just load it all on your current PC and test it all out as well. I assure you tho, Kodi is the way to go.

Been doing that for a while as I'm not as dumb as Rart looks.

. The plus with Amazon's Fire TV is that their dashboard gives access to Netflix, Amazon Prime, apps, etc. It has similar specs (2GB RAM/ 8GB SSD) and can be had on sale for $85 w/ remote.

Basically none of those have any functionality in Canada.Even Netflix is a mere shadow of it's US counterpart.You have to be very aware here of what works and what doesn't.

And no I'm not gong to get a VPN or do a lot of elaborate hacks.

Gribley
03-13-2015, 12:48 PM
Could you repeat that except this time in English?

I`ll take that as to me. Buy this > http://www.element14.com/community/community/raspberry-pi/raspberrypi2?CMP=KNC-PS-G-EU-RPI-LAUNCH

Install openelec on your MicroSD card (I am more than happy to talk you though that if you have a PC)
Be happy

Patches and addons get a bit more complex depends what you are after but again will help out. Limited really on that front as UK blocks a lot now but know the basic ideas :)

IdolEyes787
03-13-2015, 03:50 PM
I`ll take that as to me. Buy this > http://www.element14.com/community/community/raspberry-pi/raspberrypi2?CMP=KNC-PS-G-EU-RPI-LAUNCH

Install openelec on your MicroSD card (I am more than happy to talk you though that if you have a PC)
Be happy

Patches and addons get a bit more complex depends what you are after but again will help out. Limited really on that front as UK blocks a lot now but know the basic ideas :)

On one hand you seem to be some kind nerd but on the other hand you have been helpful.Now my brain is conflicted on whether I should punch or thank you.:unsure:Anyway Mom used to say that it's usually best to err on the side of mindless violence so I guess I answered my own question.

Btw please pay attention as I've don't have a bunch of microthings lying around and as I've stated on multiple occasions I'm determined to be the last person in the Americas without a mobile phone.
However to prove that I'm not stupidly knee jerk against new technology as long as it isn't insidious or ghey I do have two pair of these.:)

IdolEyes787
03-13-2015, 03:51 PM
And yes the last one was for you Meg.

Gribley
03-13-2015, 04:03 PM
Anyway Mom used to say that it's usually best to err on the side of mindless violence so I guess I answered my own question.

I take that in the way intended (I think :S) but if you really don`t know anything (or really don`t want to know) then go with something off the shelf. I like the Xtreamer stuff if that is the way you want to go, Sidewinder 4 http://www.xtreamer.net/SideWinder4 looks good and is cheap (currently cheaper with the extra DVB-T2 tuner than without - interesting marketing they have going on)

megabyteme
03-13-2015, 04:47 PM
And no I'm not gong to get a VPN

With a VPN, it would almost be like you live in a 1st-world country. Talk about an inexpensive upgrade! :w00t:

IdolEyes787
03-13-2015, 07:13 PM
With a VPN, it would almost be like you live in a 1st-world country.

If that means I have to give up my camel then I don't think it's worth it.:no:

Whitemus
03-15-2015, 01:34 AM
$40 firestick from Amazon with Kodi installed. Can't beat it for the money!

Gribley
03-15-2015, 06:25 PM
$40 firestick from Amazon with Kodi installed. Can't beat it for the money!

I really don`t know so how does that match up with a Pi2? I already got mine (two of `em) but that is also cheap and if out of the box ready then sounds good. Probably about the same cost (albeit Pi with some manual crap setup) but how is the performance??

megabyteme
03-15-2015, 08:48 PM
I've got both the Stick and the regular Fire TV. I do not have any experience with the Pi2, but I'd expect power to be about the same for running XBMC, but the Stick/Fire TV are both limited to 8GB internal memory. Pi2 uses removable microSD IIRC. All other things being equal- Netflix, Hulu, etc., I'd suspect Pi2 would be more flexible for the hand-on individual. Modding the Fire TV is fairly easy once you find and follow the installation program instructions. It is mostly automated now.

I have Amazon Prime (video), so their dashboard and services make it a plus to use their devices.

IdolEyes787
03-15-2015, 09:27 PM
I ended up just sticking a wireless adapter on my old computer.I figured free>aesthetics.:mellow:

megabyteme
03-15-2015, 10:15 PM
I figured free>aesthetics.:mellow:

Says all the guys who've had secks with you.

Gribley
03-16-2015, 11:50 AM
I ended up just sticking a wireless adapter on my old computer.I figured free>aesthetics.:mellow:

It is maybe just me, but would still say get a Pi2 or that Amazon do-hickey - think of the power required for you`re old PC and if you are booting it up when required and the fan noise etc.....

It is a cheap way if you have an old PC hanging about but some new tech is actually worth a try. Again you can always resell on ebay if you don`t like and you`ll likely get back 90+% of what you spent to have a go.

Just a thought.... give it a try Idol

Skiz
11-24-2015, 04:22 PM
So 8 months later, what is your setup looking like now, Idol? :)

IdolEyes787
11-24-2015, 08:37 PM
Given the current state of movies and TV, I threw out all my electronic stuff and built a library.

I'm not even lying and here's a actual calotype I took to prove that it's true.

megabyteme
11-24-2015, 08:43 PM
After being without electricity for 6 full days, I accept the shit media offerings.

IdolEyes787
11-24-2015, 08:59 PM
After being without electricity for 6 full days, I accept the shit media offerings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIdIqbv7SPo

:console:

Also I've decided that from now on I'm going to communicate solely through the use of Motown music.