PDA

View Full Version : Dvd Region Issues (ultimately A Hardware Issue)

GCNaddict
11-24-2003, 06:45 AM
this is a hardware question
:x
windvd4 horribly fucked my dvd burner up the ass

it changed my dvd region between 1 and 2 every time i inserted a regionless DVD, and now its screwed at region 2. is there a way i can reset the drive/fuck intervideo up the ass for what their bullshit product did to my pc?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PC Stats (if its helpful) btw its an SFF :wub:

p4 2.4c upped to 3.01ghz :ph34r:
Dominator fx5600plus overclocked to 367 mhz cpu clock
generic floppy
Generic DVD±RW 4xMAX
150watt p4supply
ddr400 corsair RAM dual-channel 512mb
intel 875 canterwood chipset

god damn... here are the random facts

CPU hacked to unlock clock rates (much harder to do with p4) B)
alternate fan in place for 5600plus
CPU heat stats on full load: 99°F (38°C, 311K)
CPU heat stats on idle load: 83°F (28°C, 301K)
5600 heat stats on full load (I mean 5900ultra load): 132°F (56°C, 329K) :blink:
5600 heat stats standard full load: 98°F (37°C, 310K)
5600 heat stats on idle load: 81°F (27°C, 300K)
number of case fans/other fans/main fans: 5 :nuke:
number of silencers: 3
total weight of silencing foam used: 3lb

:ph34r:

cpu and system heat scans are within .3 of a degree of eachother.

i kno that half of that crap didnt help you :(

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ending Q: how do i reset my dvd-drive's region?

3rd gen noob
11-24-2003, 06:55 AM
have a look here (http://www.doom9.org/) or here (http://www.dvdrhelp.com/)

also...i like how you've quoted temps in centigrade, farenheight and kelvin :)

3RA1N1AC
11-24-2003, 08:58 AM
without knowing the model of your DVD drive, it's impossible to fix. there's no way it's completely generic. if you really want to reset the region, pull that sucker out of the PC, read every label on the drive and find out what company manufactured it and what the model number is. then google it along with the words "firmware" and "hacked."

but you don't have to reset the region. get hold of a program called DVD Region Free. it will allow your computer to play any region DVD, regardless of what region your drive is.

cwctv
11-24-2003, 11:33 AM
http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php for Dvd firmware see if yours is on there.

GCNaddict
11-24-2003, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC@24 November 2003 - 08:58
without knowing the model of your DVD drive, it's impossible to fix. there's no way it's completely generic. if you really want to reset the region, pull that sucker out of the PC, read every label on the drive and find out what company manufactured it and what the model number is. then google it along with the words "firmware" and "hacked."

but you don't have to reset the region. get hold of a program called DVD Region Free. it will allow your computer to play any region DVD, regardless of what region your drive is.
its a friggin GENERIC DVD±RW!!!!!

its from IOMagic, but if its generic i dont see how it matters

clocker
11-24-2003, 01:17 PM
GCN,

I too, am impressed by the temps in Kelvin.
Nice touch.

What are "silencers" and how is the silencing foam deployed?

Sorry for the off-topic response.
I'm clueless re: regions/DVDs.

lynx
11-24-2003, 01:39 PM
GCNaddict, a few facts for you.

1. "windvd4 horribly fucked my dvd burner up the ass" - no, YOU fucked your dvd burner up the ass. windvd4 told you every time you changed the region that you only had so many changes left, and you ignored it.

2. 3RA1N1AC has already told you to get DVD Region Free, but you need to find out who makes your dvdrw to get a hack.

3. If you don't like the advice given here, go to a GENERIC web site, they can probably help you better.

GCNaddict
11-24-2003, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by clocker@24 November 2003 - 13:17
GCN,

I too, am impressed by the temps in Kelvin.
Nice touch.

What are "silencers" and how is the silencing foam deployed?

Sorry for the off-topic response.
I'm clueless re: regions/DVDs.

silencers: things that slow the fans when full strength cooling is unnecessary.

silencing foam: a type of foam padding which is carefully laid out on the inside of the case in order to reduce noise.

if the case is windowed, then logically, the foam is pasted on the portions where the window does not exist.

silencers (hiQ) are generally around $15 each
search on google for fan silencers or silencing foam/padding

now, back to the subj. ^_^

GCNaddict
11-24-2003, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by lynx@24 November 2003 - 13:39

1. "windvd4 horribly fucked my dvd burner up the ass" - no, YOU fucked your dvd burner up the ass. windvd4 told you every time you changed the region that you only had so many changes left, and you ignored it.

2. 3RA1N1AC has already told you to get DVD Region Free, but you need to find out who makes your dvdrw to get a hack.

3. If you don't like the advice given here, go to a GENERIC web site, they can probably help you better.
when windvd4 changes the region WITHOUT A FUCKING DIALOG INDICATING THE UPCOMING CHANGE, i say that IT fucked my burner. I DID NOT CHANGE THE REGION ON MY BURNER! I DIDNT MAKE A SINGLE FUCKING CHANGE!!!!! WINDVD4 CHANGED THE RANGE WITHOUT MY CONSENT!!!!!

ive got a 56k and i dont have the time to leave my PC on overnight to download dvd region free.

theres no such thing as a GENERIC website

there you go, now do you know WHY i started this topic in the first place!?!

lynx
11-24-2003, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by GCNaddict+24 November 2003 - 18:21--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (GCNaddict @ 24 November 2003 - 18:21)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-lynx@24 November 2003 - 13:39

1. "windvd4 horribly fucked my dvd burner up the ass" - no, YOU fucked your dvd burner up the ass.&nbsp; windvd4 told you every time you changed the region that you only had so many changes left, and you ignored it.

3. If you don&#39;t like the advice given here, go to a GENERIC web site, they can probably help you better.
when windvd4 changes the region WITHOUT A FUCKING DIALOG INDICATING THE UPCOMING CHANGE, i say that IT fucked my burner. I DID NOT CHANGE THE REGION ON MY BURNER&#33; I DIDNT MAKE A SINGLE FUCKING CHANGE&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; WINDVD4 CHANGED THE RANGE WITHOUT MY CONSENT&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

ive got a 56k and i dont have the time to leave my PC on overnight to download dvd region free.

there you go, now do you know WHY i started this topic in the first place&#33;?&#33; [/b][/quote]
There&#39;s also no such thing as a GENERIC DVD±RW.

You&#39;ve been given the advice but you don&#39;t want to listen to it or provide yourself with the available remedies, so I can&#39;t figure out why you started this topic.

I can only assume you wanted to demonstrate to all of us what a total fuck-wit you are.

Ariel_001
11-24-2003, 07:13 PM
try using dvd region free (http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=dvd+region+free&meta=)

GCNaddict
11-24-2003, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by lynx+24 November 2003 - 18:45--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (lynx @ 24 November 2003 - 18:45)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by GCNaddict@24 November 2003 - 18:21
<!--QuoteBegin-lynx@24 November 2003 - 13:39

3. If you don&#39;t like the advice given here, go to a GENERIC web site, they can probably help you better.
when windvd4 changes the region WITHOUT A FUCKING DIALOG INDICATING THE UPCOMING CHANGE, i say that IT fucked my burner. I DID NOT CHANGE THE REGION ON MY BURNER&#33; I DIDNT MAKE A SINGLE FUCKING CHANGE&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; WINDVD4 CHANGED THE RANGE WITHOUT MY CONSENT&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

there you go, now do you know WHY i started this topic in the first place&#33;?&#33;
There&#39;s also no such thing as a GENERIC DVD±RW.

You&#39;ve been given the advice but you don&#39;t want to listen to it or provide yourself with the available remedies, so I can&#39;t figure out why you started this topic.

I can only assume you wanted to demonstrate to all of us what a total fuck-wit you are. [/b][/quote]
ill give you the screenshot when I get home, and then i will watch you piss in your pants in pure embarrasment, you lameass mofo

next time, before you brag about your pseudointellect, :rtfm:

cuz some people here know what theyre talking about&#33; and its not cuz theyre born smart.

if you want to help, take what i give you, or piss into your eyesockets.

the label on the box sed "IOMagic dvd±rw"

windows sees it as a "GENERIC DVD RW 4x Max"

now shut your hole and pee, and get ready to pee more when i load the screenshot in 2 hours&#33;

now, i plan on getting my burner fixed, not using some sort of dildofied pseudoremedy which lets me "read" dvds from any region.

lynx
11-24-2003, 09:35 PM
We won&#39;t be holding our breath.

3RA1N1AC
11-24-2003, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by GCNaddict@24 November 2003 - 12:09

now, i plan on getting my burner fixed, not using some sort of dildofied pseudoremedy which lets me "read" dvds from any region.
if by "get it fixed," you mean you&#39;re going to pay someone, i hope the guy overcharges you for his five minutes of work since you&#39;ve acted like such a damned fool in this thread. it&#39;s a simple fix that comes down to realizing there is no such thing as a drive with no manufacturer-- either I/O Magic made it, or they bought it from a manufacturer and put their name on the box.

and if you don&#39;t like that, then there&#39;s DVD Region Free.

and if you don&#39;t like either solution, then you&#39;re a moron. if you&#39;re such an expert and all our advice is so dildofied, why is your drive jacked up and you&#39;re here looking for help? i have dvd drives, i&#39;ve reset the firmware plenty of times, i can use dvds from regions 0 through 9 with WinDVD without changing the drive&#39;s region-- my stuff works correctly, does yours?

lynx
11-24-2003, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC+24 November 2003 - 22:20--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (3RA1N1AC @ 24 November 2003 - 22:20)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-GCNaddict@24 November 2003 - 12:09

if by "get it fixed," you mean you&#39;re going to pay someone, i hope the guy overcharges you for his five minutes of work since you&#39;ve acted like such a damned fool in this thread. it&#39;s a simple fix that comes down to realizing there is no such thing as a drive with no manufacturer-- either I/O Magic made it, or they bought it from a manufacturer and put their name on the box.

and if you don&#39;t like that, then there&#39;s DVD Region Free.

and if you don&#39;t like either solution, then you&#39;re a moron. if you&#39;re such an expert and all our advice is so dildofied, why is your drive jacked up and you&#39;re here looking for help? i have dvd drives, i&#39;ve reset the firmware plenty of times, i can use dvds from regions 0 through 9 with WinDVD without changing the drive&#39;s region-- my stuff works correctly, does yours? [/b][/quote]
You are so subtle with your replies. ;)

3RA1N1AC
11-24-2003, 10:40 PM
yes.

GCNaddict
11-24-2003, 10:44 PM
http://www.angelfire.com/pokemon2/gcnaddict/dvdscreenshot.png

now, sure, i was acting like an ass, but does anyone have any idea as to who truly manufactures these "generic" drives and sells them to low-level companies like IOMagic? if so, then i can probly find a bios flash for it.

but next time, when someone sez something, and provides proof, believe it, cuz it wont fucking change if you dont

GCNaddict
11-24-2003, 10:49 PM
btw does anyone have any idea where to find a dvd region free which ISNT a trojan? cuz ive dloaded 3 and they were all trojans.

ill go check the verifieds brb

3RA1N1AC
11-24-2003, 11:38 PM
it prolly only says "generic" because the firmware (also called the BIOS, it&#39;s stored in the drive and contains the region setting) is labelled as generic to avoid confusing people-- so they won&#39;t say "HUH?&#33;? i bought an I/O Magic drive but it says it&#39;s from a different company." there aren&#39;t a huge number of companies that are technically capable of making DVD drives, but there are at least a few that I/O Magic could&#39;ve gotten it from.

the only 100% sure way to identify the model is to pull it out of the PC and see what the stickers on the drive say. one of them should list the manufacturer & model number. the firmware is usually only compatible with just a couple of drives, so that&#39;s why it&#39;s important to get that info-- so you can replace it with the correct firmware or at least get hold of a program designed to reset that specific drive&#39;s region.

if you have BitTorrent, you can get DVD Region Free from the "apps" section of Suprnova.org. whether or not you reset the drive&#39;s region, it&#39;s a good idea to have that program installed just because it will prevent your movie players from even trying to change the region. it intercepts the region info and feeds the appropriate setting to WinDVD, Windows Media Player, etc without changing the drive&#39;s "actual" region. it only requires a minute to configure it-- you just need to set DVD Region Free to start when you use WinDVD or any other DVD program. i&#39;ve used it on a few different PCs and it&#39;s never caused any problems.