PDA

View Full Version : BTN getting DMCA notices too???

Metalfr33k
04-25-2015, 02:56 AM

How did this happen? Thought BTN torrent site was secure and invite only?

How many more are coming?

http://prntscr.com/6xu2zs
http://prntscr.com/6xu297

Should i stop using the site from now on to be safe?

Note: Im really sorry for double post, it seems my first thread is not opening properly. Please delete other one and approve this one.

Thank you.

n00bz0r
04-25-2015, 03:56 AM

How many more are coming?

http://prntscr.com/6xu2zs
http://prntscr.com/6xu297

Should i stop using the site from now on to be safe?

Note: Im really sorry for double post, it seems my first thread is not opening properly. Please delete other one and approve this one.

Thank you.
Wouldn't go as far telling you what to do / which sites to use. But, just use common sense in such cases. :shifty:

megabyteme
04-25-2015, 04:42 AM
I got my first DMCA notices in years while seeding the leaked copies of GoT (eps 3 & 4). This happened on Sunday.

Seems HBO didn't like their stuff released ahead of schedule.

Interestingly enough, I was seeding the first two eps at the same time and did not receive such notices.

Rart
04-25-2015, 05:06 AM

Anybody that thinks a site with 35,000 users (heck, any site over 1000 users really) is safe from copyright trolls are kidding themselves.

DMCAs aren't a huge deal as long as you don't rack up too many of them, but if you're really worried about it I would just recommend avoiding pre-release/leaked content, such as that leaked Wolverine screener from a while back. If you stick to private trackers and content that isn't leaked, you should be perfectly fine.

megabyteme
04-25-2015, 06:24 AM
I should point out that the DMCA Notices came from seeding on IPT. As Rart mentioned, pre-releases should be considered a "hot potato" for the weary.

Interestingly, I had only seeded back about 50% on each of the two shows. Copyright dogs were taken off their leashes, it seems.

stan
04-25-2015, 01:30 PM
I should point out that the DMCA Notices came from seeding on IPT. As Rart mentioned, pre-releases should be considered a "hot potato" for the weary.

Interestingly, I had only seeded back about 50% on each of the two shows. Copyright dogs were taken off their leashes, it seems.

The 3rd and 4th episode was uploaded from IPT to Kickass by some kid. Trouble was instead of creating a new .torrent file for them he just added public trackers announces to it. Of course that even left his pass-key number in from IPT. So on public trackers both the IPT and Kickass swarms were intermingled.

megabyteme
04-25-2015, 03:08 PM

The 3rd and 4th episode was uploaded from IPT to Kickass by some kid. Trouble was instead of creating a new .torrent file for them he just added public trackers announces to it. Of course that even left his pass-key number in from IPT. So on public trackers both the IPT and Kickass swarms were intermingled.

That seems to fit with the timing of me switching to qBitTorrent. I need to make sure I've got all of the exterior tracker settings turned off.

Metalfr33k
04-25-2015, 04:55 PM
BTN Staff is best at hidding and lying to their members.
They requested their best friends PTP staff 312c to delete anything regarding BTN and hide DMCA notice warnings on reddit.. They just want to hide it and are not accepting their weakness!!!

Unfortunately reddit /r/Trackers is no more a trust-worthy section but only serves interest of 2-3 torrent sites which are BTN and PTP.

Anyone who posted or opened topic that they received DMCA notice on BTN are banned from BTN site and from reddit!!!

stan
04-25-2015, 05:25 PM
Its not QbitTorrent.Your IP appeared in the kickass swarm because the asshat uploader on kickass left his IPT pass key in it. It worked till IPT killed the passkey.

piercerseth
04-25-2015, 06:05 PM
BTN has confirmed they were having their peers stolen and injected into public swarm.

megabyteme
04-25-2015, 07:42 PM
Its not QbitTorrent.Your IP appeared in the kickass swarm because the asshat uploader on kickass left his IPT pass key in it. It worked till IPT killed the passkey.

isn't there a setting I could have turned on/off that would have prevented that?

stan
04-25-2015, 08:06 PM

isn't there a setting I could have turned on/off that would have prevented that?

Sorry but no. It is not an individual thing. The whole 3-6000 IPT swarm was exposed till IPT staff killed the passkey.

The BTN thing is different. Changing your client port number kills the connection.

megabyteme
04-25-2015, 09:30 PM

Sorry but no. It is not an individual thing. The whole 3-6000 IPT swarm was exposed till IPT staff killed the passkey.

The BTN thing is different. Changing your client port number kills the connection.

That's interesting. Surprised it isn't a bigger issue then. Maybe one of the masterminds of the community (paging anon, anon to the white courtesy phone, please :) ) can come up with a patch.

Metalfr33k
04-25-2015, 11:04 PM

Original information which was deleted by BTN staff and Reddit troll Mods. Full story and real story.

anon
04-26-2015, 03:41 AM
Maybe one of the masterminds of the community (paging anon, anon to the white courtesy phone, please :) ) can come up with a patch.

This isn't really something you can "patch". Some sort of protocol extension to authenticate peers as coming from a reliable source would be required. While drafts for such a thing exist[1] (http://www.rasterbar.com/products/libtorrent/auth.html), it is not an standard yet, and would require support from the tracker script's side too.

I can think of two workarounds:

enabling the "randomize port on startup" option or similar in your client
deliberately firewalling yourself to become off-limits to "foreign" peers, while you can still transfer to and from those received from the private tracker. It has the disadvantages we all know, of course (if everyone does it, you won't be able to download at all).

Other than that, you can't really do anything, because BitTorrent wasn't designed with private trackers in mind in the first place[2] (http://wiki.vuze.com/w/User:The8472/Private_trackers). If I have your IP and port and know you're serving a torrent with a specific info_hash I already possess the metadata for, I can connect to you. You could notice my attempts and block my address, sure, but that's not a viable solution when you're potentially exposed to thousands of ghost leechers, as is the case here.

And for the record, this isn't a new tactic[3] (https://torrentfreak.com/private-bittorrent-trackers-vulnerable-to-anonymous-leechers-070907/).

04-26-2015, 08:20 AM
merwais dont be a pussy and use your own account you already have here not some 1-day alt

absent_today
04-26-2015, 09:25 AM
@2501
:lol: the account was registered yesterday itself IPT :P

megabyteme
04-26-2015, 01:49 PM
That was a good read, anon. :) Since I've only encountered it once, it does not seem to be too much of a problem.

----------------

Guys, Malways is above that...Wait. No he isn't. What was I thinking?!

Hi, Malways. :dry:

stan
04-29-2015, 10:07 AM
BTN has confirmed they were having their peers stolen and injected into public swarm.

and now it appears to be PassThePopcorn's turn

oswald63
05-03-2015, 10:36 PM

and now it appears to be PassThePopcorn's turn

Anyone from PTP here? I've been a member for years. I can't get in.

"You have failed the snatchlist challenge too many times."

My emails offered to send a password reset are refused.

anon
05-04-2015, 12:49 AM
I would join their support channel and ask for help there.

jjmaden
05-07-2015, 09:06 PM
I'm just curious, would using a VPN service shield a user from this or do most users not go that route with a private tracker?