PDA

View Full Version : Terminator Genisys

f1kid
07-05-2015, 08:32 PM
Box Office: It's Judgment Day In America For 'Terminator Genisys' With $44M Holiday Weekend

omg this one i would say was the best one yet

IdolEyes787
07-05-2015, 08:45 PM
I would say that you're out of your friggin' mind so that way at least one of us is right.

Btw just so I'll know, when exactly did they stop speaking English in England?

f1kid
07-05-2015, 08:48 PM
ups lmao dam key bourd batts gone .................................flat line

IdolEyes787
07-05-2015, 08:49 PM
Humour me, I'm only here for a few more days and then you can be as retarded as you want.
........................................................................................................................................
27% fresh.Best Terminator film ever. :lol:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/terminator_genisys/

Remember how horrible Terminator:Rise of the Machines was and it even managed a 70% fresh. :mellow:

Also even with the competition, $44 million over a five day "weekend" has to be seen as a major failure.

megabyteme
07-06-2015, 03:01 AM
Humour me, I'm only here for a few more days and then you can be as retarded as you want.
........................................................................................................................................
27% fresh.Best Terminator film ever. :lol:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/terminator_genisys/

Jeebus! In comparison, Ted 2 has a 45%. :pinch:

EDIT- Did expect Emilia Clarke to be a great casting for Sarah Connor, though...

piercerseth
07-06-2015, 04:59 AM
EDIT- Did expect Emilia Clarke to be a great casting for Sarah Connor, though...

It's an affront to Linda Hamilton's work ethic in T2. Her physical transformation alone made that role.

Clarke's idea of 'hardened' is using a darker shade to pencil in her eyebrows.

Anyways, I enjoyed the first 30 minutes. The attention to detail in the 1984 scenes was much appreciated.

megabyteme
08-09-2015, 12:04 AM
Finally gave it a watch last night now that a HDrip came out. Felt all but the very beginning was more of a Fan Fiction than a real part to the franchise. I felt no emotion for the characters, thought Emilia Clarke was to small and skinny to play the role, the John Connor thing was stupid, plot holes made the show weaker than it already was, no chemistry between the characters, no power from the performances.

If this had been the first Terminator, there wouldn't have been a second.

TL;DR version: Hollow, formulaic, weakly acted, unimaginative, and without chemistry.

IdolEyes787
08-09-2015, 03:28 PM
Finally gave it a watch last night now that a HDrip came out. Felt all but the very beginning was more of a Fan Fiction than a real part to the franchise. I felt no emotion for the characters, thought Emilia Clarke was to small and skinny to play the role, the John Connor thing was stupid, plot holes made the show weaker than it already was, no chemistry between the characters, no power from the performances.

If this had been the first Terminator, there wouldn't have been a second.

TL;DR version: Hollow, formulaic, weakly acted, unimaginative, and without chemistry.

Watched the first half and will watch the rest when I have time.In some places that would be seen as a pun.

Anyway thoughts so far.
First and seriously who the fuck casts this shit? Jai Courtney? Is Kyle Reese now suppose to be a MMA fighter or something?Like I said I haven't yet seen it all but I actual hope Reese dies in this one.
Next the writing is total shit in that what little plot there is is linked through a bunch of static dialogue scenes because whoever wrote it lacks the talent to tell a story otherwise.
Thirdly, it did feel like fan fiction which isn't a compliment and redoing a bunch of old stuff with a twist only demonstrated how much better the old stuff was.
Also, remember the great score from the original Terminator?This one doesn't have it.That and no poignancy* or artistry or intelligence.
Actually about the only thing it does have going for it is J.K. Simmons that and Emilia Clarke being hot albeit overdressed but then again God forbid someone make a movie for adults like they did in 1984.

Anyway in a alternate,better universe this would be an actual parody and not simply play like one. :mellow:

*Witness the difference between the nuclear blast scenes with one showing the kids in the park burned to ash and the other showing Golden Gate Bridge getting destroyed by a tidal wave and see what I mean.

For fuck sake.

User Reviews

Awesome!!!! i LOVED IT...30 June 2015 | by ericvr (United States)
All I can is... this is a great movie. Long time Terminator fans, you will not be disappointed. It's not disjointed; its just smart and unpredictable.

Arnold was an 15 out of 10. The two leads (no spoilers) had great chemistry. Sure there were some implausible parts, but who cares. This is the ultimate popcorn movie with heart, laughs and guts. After reading a few low nerd reviews, I almost got discouraged and was going to see something else. I am so glad I went! I will definitely see it a few times in the theatres and then buy it keepsake - add it to the T collection. It was totally CLASSIC. It was way better than the last one for sure. GO ENJOY THE MOVIE!!!!! Hasta la vista baby..

Whoever said that everyone's entitled to their own opinion was obviously wrong.

I'd also like to point out as someone who has seen all the Terminator movies that the "old" Arnold is depressing to watch and should have stay retired and maintained a bit of dignity and the computer generate Arnold is just creepy looking .

megabyteme
08-09-2015, 09:56 PM
We're entirely on the same page with our disappointment. Just like the "new" Durassic Park, the film makers couldn't be assed to come up with an original score, nor could they even come up with a new catchphrase of their own. :frusty:

JK Simmons was sadly only used for a bit of comic relief. Waste of his talent, IMO.

That review must be the result of bribing high school kids to write positive stuff about the movie, either that or Hollywood released fakes onto the filesharing community and we are all missing out on a TOTALLY better show.

The biggest hole I saw in the story (among many) was that the John Connor Bot could have been making thousands of human-terminators during his time waiting for the countdown. Instead of one, he could have replicated the fuck out of himself and created an invincible army to protect Skynet.

IdolEyes787
08-09-2015, 11:19 PM
Also the minute you saw who they had playing John Connor and the fact that he's a career bad guy sort nullified of the twist
.I mean even if you don't know who Jason Clarke is the fact Hollywood doesn't do subtle* and his face sort of gives it away.

*Arnie in the liquid metal vat after the spiel about it being harmless and it needs a chip to do anything.

I mean I know two year olds that would have said that was telegraphed.:mellow:

Again a far cry from in one of the previous movies his "red light" goes out and we get some satisfaction from what comes after.

Seriously, man for the amount of money these people make you'd think they'd at least try.

Oh no sorry I forgot about baseball.

Edit Still not as bad as Ted 2 but then probably nothing including dying a slow and agonizing death from leprosy is.

megabyteme
08-10-2015, 05:43 AM
I honestly did not know who Jason Clarke is going into the show. I did have an urge to punch him in the face, so I suspect he had a hand in the script.

Snee
08-10-2015, 10:39 AM
Terrible casting. Kyle Reese isn't supposed to be a meatball with douche-face. Emilia Clarke lacks Linda Hamilton's physique, and just doesn't seem nearly as tough as Sarah Connor should be.

I really don't know what's going on with John Connor either. The actor is more or less an unknown to me, which helped, but I didn't care much for that depiction of the character, either way.

I can definitely get behind Doctor Who being in the movie, though!1

For me, it helped that I hadn't watched a single trailer, and that my expectations were low after the previous movie.

I was pleasantly surprised by the intitial 1984 bits, and actually liked the 1984 Arnold/terminator, but after that, it went about as well as I'd expected.

Not good, but no surprises there, and I was still mildly entertained.

IdolEyes787
08-10-2015, 01:06 PM
Terrible casting. Kyle Reese isn't supposed to be a meatball with douche-face. Emilia Clarke lacks Linda Hamilton's physique, and just doesn't seem nearly as tough as Sarah Connor should be.

I don't think every movie has to be identical in how it tells a story,Cameron proved that with both T2 and Aliens two of the best action films ever but I do think that in a series there are certain things that you are bound to live by.

Kyle Reese circa The Terminator was a soldier from a desperate future who knew nothing of love, only terror and death who sort of irrationally clung to this picture of a woman as his one hope. I get none of that from Geniysys.Geez he's not even slightly uncomfortable around her or his situation.I don't think it would take a lot of tweaking or another ten million dollars in FX to convey that fact.

Cameron himself has said that the first Terminator was about a weak woman learning to be strong. After ten years of living and supposedly readying herself for the future this is suppose to be the "strong" version.
Linda Hamilton sold it,Emilia Clarke basically looked like she worked at Bloomingdale's only lessen battle-hardened. Like maybe pick up a weight or something.

As for Matt Smith,normally I would say this is a very good thing but since he is roughly a ten times more interesting actor than any of the schmucks in this and yet was relegated to 30 seconds of being a special effect, not so much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoVLhUxhdSw

That's the difference between England and the US.Matt Smith couldn't never be a leading man in the US because he doesn't conform to a certain aesthetic. Instead he get to suffer through talentless idiots like Jai Whateverhisnameis.:frusty:

megabyteme
08-10-2015, 05:30 PM
Matt Smith would have embarrassed all the other leads had they given him more than those 34 seconds. He certainly packed more power in that clip than was contained in the entirety of the movie. Fact. I cannot see anyone who's being honest saying differently.

Heck, I was tempted to rewatch that clip a second time already. The TARDIS would not be able to take me far enough forward in time for me to want to see Genesys again. :no:

IdolEyes787
08-10-2015, 05:46 PM
I've really got nothing against special effects but they seem to spend an inordinate amount of money on them and they really have shit to do with whether a movie is good or not.

megabyteme
08-10-2015, 06:57 PM
There was a time when SFX could blow people away with things we'd never imagined possible, and that added to the movie experience. Now there isn't anything that will blow us away more than a great, imaginative script with passionate, well cast actors (and actresses with great tits and minimal dialog).

I don't believe anyone involved in Genisys gave a fuck. Unfortunately, as long as these turds (somehow) manage to rake in the gazillions, we will continue to be inundated with them.

I still have hopes of Hollywood getting handed its ass by ambitious film producers from around the globe. These studios are growing, as their budgets increase, hopefully we'll see more Slumdog-level films.

IdolEyes787
08-10-2015, 07:42 PM
Special effects are there to allow a director to tell the story the way he/she envisions it.They were never intended to "be" the story.When that happens you get tripe like Battleship. :frusty:

megabyteme
08-10-2015, 08:57 PM
While we are on the topic of SFX used appropriately, I've been meaning to bring up Ex-Machina (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ex_machina/). One of the more satisfying movie experiences I've had in a while. Alicia Vikander is one to watch. She's had some good european roles prior to this and she will be in The Man from UNCLE this summer.

Snee
08-11-2015, 12:18 AM
Kyle Reese circa The Terminator was a soldier from a desperate future who knew nothing of love, only terror and death who sort of irrationally clung to this picture of a woman as his one hope. I get none of that from Geniysys.Geez he's not even slightly uncomfortable around her or his situation.I don't think it would take a lot of tweaking or another ten million dollars in FX to convey that fact.

I think he just looks off. I could believe the original Kyle Reese being a struggling, suffering survivor from some post-apocalytic wasteland, but the new guy looks like his struggle is mostly about loading up on carbs and going to the gym. He's got none of the intensity, either.

mjmacky
08-11-2015, 05:06 AM
This is a lot of back and forth for film that seems to have raped everyone here.

megabyteme
08-11-2015, 05:08 AM
We all grew up seeing these films. To an extent, we have become invested in the stories. For them to botch the job so badly, it is offensive, TBH.

mjmacky
08-11-2015, 05:15 AM
We all grew up seeing these films. To an extent, we have become invested in the stories. For them to botch the job so badly, it is offensive, TBH.
I have been trained to let them go. I love jumping into anime, but it's a field that tries to cash in time and again on original franchises with embarrassing results. There have been a few exceptions (e.g., Hunter x Hunter 2011 and FMA: Brotherhood), but the general trend holds the real truth.

I took a chance on a recent decade Terminator film, and I think my vaccination is good for like 16 years.

megabyteme
08-11-2015, 05:44 AM
Like children running to a white van with 'candy', we have our hopes, then consequences for venturing in... :'(

mjmacky
08-12-2015, 01:59 PM
Like children running to a white van with 'candy', we have our hopes, then consequences for venturing in... :'(
You can only hope the driver is willing to forego pitching and agree to play catch.

IdolEyes787
08-12-2015, 02:22 PM

Isn't "grown up" and "invested in these stories" sort of an oxymoron?

Also I think it's more like defacing a work of art like something by Rodin or one of those painting with the weird big eyes.

Macabrejr
08-14-2015, 10:35 PM
movie sucks