PDA

View Full Version : Peer-To-Peer: Is it really dead...

Tecato97
07-10-2015, 04:17 AM
...or has it simply gone back underground? And even then, is it still really worth the hassle? Just curious.

astral_vibe
07-18-2015, 12:39 PM
In my opinion Peer-To-Peer is going more underground, but its also not worth the hassle to get in all of them, i think jsut some normal open trackers that sometime become invite only are good enough to provie you with what you need

powerstick
07-22-2015, 12:26 PM
In my opinion Peer-To-Peer is going more underground, but its also not worth the hassle to get in all of them, i think jsut some normal open trackers that sometime become invite only are good enough to provie you with what you need

I can not believe you asked the question. How can you say something that is used by over 150 million people dead?

Mr_Horse
10-26-2015, 03:44 AM
P2P never dies!
But scene is always half dead :P

whatcdfan
11-07-2015, 06:24 PM
P2P never dies!
But scene is always half dead :P

Scene is dead? how did you get to that conclusion sir? and just to the contrary, all the p2p and entire piracy system runs on the rips made by the scene. 99% of the pirated stuff originates from the scene itself. If ever scene dies, there'll be only open source softwares like Firefox and Chrome left to download from the p2p.

huhwat00
02-12-2016, 05:54 AM
It's never going to die. Even though I use Usenet more now, I still find myself going back to torrents.

charleyyang
07-02-2016, 04:42 AM
p2p is still alive,is it?

anon
07-02-2016, 05:49 PM

mjmacky
07-03-2016, 02:09 AM
If I ever left something back in 1995, and I need to retrieve it, I'm calling anon.

megabyteme
07-03-2016, 02:27 AM
Personally, I prefer to order my VHS tapes through Blockbuster, then make copies onto blank tapes using my 1 play/4 record system. I then mail copies to my closest friends. After they are done watching, they mail the tapes back so that I can fill them up again.

anon
07-03-2016, 04:08 AM
If I ever left something back in 1995, and I need to retrieve it, I'm calling anon.

Make sure to call before 8 PM, as that's when I get online.

VHS tapes

These can still be used to store data, if you don't mind slow speeds.

mjmacky
07-03-2016, 05:50 AM
Make sure to call before 8 PM, as that's when I get online.

VHS tapes

These can still be used to store data, if you don't mind slow speeds.
I have a lot of data to store and I want to make sure I can access it from anywhere, which is why I use zip drives

IdolEyes787
07-03-2016, 01:18 PM
I have an old Campy Super Record titanium derailleur.It's pretty sweet.:unsure:

This isn't mine as apparently I can't upload Polaroids to the interweb.

anon
07-03-2016, 05:01 PM
I have a lot of data to store and I want to make sure I can access it from anywhere, which is why I use zip drives

JAZ will win the format war in the end. 1 GB of space - that's like a hard disk that can be carried and used anywhere :snooty:

(I have a pile of those disks, untouched in their original package and plastic wrapping... how much do you think I could get for them? :unsure:)

megabyteme
07-03-2016, 07:47 PM

JAZ will win the format war in the end. 1 GB of space - that's like a hard disk that can be carried and used anywhere :snooty:

(I have a pile of those disks, untouched in their original package and plastic wrapping... how much do you think I could get for them? :unsure:)

LOTS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-abUtRbUS_U

Gribley
07-05-2016, 10:01 AM

I still have a 250MB zip drive hanging around..... but don`t think I have any disks for it :S

P2P is never really ever dead just gets reborn in the next format/protocol. I am still an NNTP fan but that is because I am just really old (44)

newzbie
07-17-2016, 02:55 PM
p2p has been shrinking IMO but it is not going away anytime soon

Livingghost
07-22-2016, 03:41 AM
Haha.. true.

Lol

xoooai
08-02-2016, 12:53 AM
I think it'll die soon when the new generation takes over and has no clue it ever existed

TankGrrl
08-04-2016, 06:32 PM
p2p is dead! long live p2p!

08-07-2016, 09:55 AM
yes now the majority of people on the internet only connect using one device: their phone. Running p2p on a phone is not convenient and streaming is taking over.

anon
08-08-2016, 01:05 AM
yes now the majority of people on the internet only connect using one device: their phone. Running p2p on a phone is not convenient and streaming is taking over.

This isn't a catch-all explanation. In my country, the best mobile plans have a 10 GB cap and are super-expensive (and the dirt on the floor is apparently worth more than prepaid customers, to the point the government introduced a price-controlled prepaid plan so that they would stop getting ripped off). Nonetheless, P2P usage is still decreasing. I would think it's because Netflix and Spotify are pretty cheap and you don't have to think too much to use them.

roobens
08-17-2016, 12:08 PM
It's not gone, but it definitely niche-fied and went underground. Not darknet underground, just not exactly easily accessible or knowable, if they weren't already before. Most of the first generation of private sites have members who, if they haven't dropped out of the ranks, are at an where their technical and sometimes legal expertise can and are being used to protect these sites as they've really become more communities as well. The focus is shifting though. Yes, internal rippers still exist, but they can't outpace the scene still, so it's back to the old school system of rare and overlooked stuff on most fronts, quality and quantity but more quality than anything else, but most of all technology is at a position where there are enough cheap seedboxes and actual VPNs and SSH tunnels (full disclosure: I may be involved in many of those aforementioned scenes, but they are all backed by observations and surveying the landscape) to allow content to remain accessible and they have become repositories. It's not the wild west anymore... as much at least.

anon
08-19-2016, 07:13 PM
It's not gone, but it definitely niche-fied and went underground. Not darknet underground, just not exactly easily accessible or knowable, if they weren't already before.

You can still buy an IPT invite with some upload credit for $20, though :smilie4:

redwyvern2
01-17-2017, 03:13 AM
I can't even imagine using my phone for P2P. I don't even use it for stuff like Netflix. To me, it's just too small of a screen for that.