PDA

View Full Version : Is Kodi the new Napster

macca22
07-20-2015, 06:40 AM
Just throwing it out there for discussion on this great website for filesharers how possibly the advent of Kodi for most devices and the large media libraries available through addons will see a decline in p2p etc?

megabyteme
07-20-2015, 07:24 AM
I would not say that it is anything like Napster, in particular. It is a substantial resource for playing movies, television, and (from what I seem to remember) podcasts. Files are not shared from personal 'share' folders, but uploaded by elves (I presume) to large servers.

I use it for one-time viewings of shows I do not find any need to keep. My daughter (5 y/o) has an easier time with Plex than she does finding reliable servers to play the desired files.

I would like to see a feature added to Kodi that would auto-locate the best, most reliable server for the playback so that the frustration is taken out of doing so manually.

shaina
07-20-2015, 10:16 AM
I would not say that it is anything like Napster, in particular. It is a substantial resource for playing movies, television, and (from what I seem to remember) podcasts. Files are not shared from personal 'share' folders, but uploaded by elves (I presume) to large servers.
I use it for one-time viewings of shows I do not find any need to keep. My daughter (5 y/o) has an easier time with Plex than she does finding reliable servers to play the desired files.
I would like to see a feature added to Kodi that would auto-locate the best, most reliable server for the playback so that the frustration is taken out of doing so manually.

Meg isn't plex more a internal media player , where you have the physical files on your own server or hard drive??

Or can it be used like Kodi or XBMC where you are using outside internet streaming from other peoples PC or servers??

And to have a rating on those would be great but the person can shut down the connection anytime they want how can you rate that??
I have seen list after list of a movies and you have to click on 5 or more til you get one that stays on (I think that is what you meant)...
But when you save that in memory , the next time you try that connection again , it could be gone......
I now just download everything store on my own drives and run it throughout the house , the kids request something I find it and that is that....

But I don't use plex , even know it is recommended even on some of my TVs ... Does it work like XBMC ??

megabyteme
07-20-2015, 06:28 PM
Sorry for the confusion, Shay. I was comparing the two as different ways of watching files. Plex uses files that are already downloaded; Kodi streams from outside servers. It is typically easier for my daughter to play local files through Plex.

shaina
07-20-2015, 07:05 PM
Sorry for the confusion, Shay. I was comparing the two as different ways of watching files. Plex uses files that are already downloaded; Kodi streams from outside servers. It is typically easier for my daughter to play local files through Plex.

Thank you for confirming what I thought.... But I do think Kodi or XBMC Is the way the future is going but I am still trying to figure out how much bandwidth savings there is in streaming from the internet instead of downloading files...I do see Netflix and that really hoggs internet bandwidth speed (never metered the download count tho , plus I have unlimited anyways so there is no affect on me when it comes to that) , but internal streaming really does nothing to bandwidth speed for me.
And it is way easier for my whole household to do it with internal server (exactly what you said) , just more work for me LOL!!
And I Use still Universal Media Server , a offshoot of PS3 Media Server on Steroids ... Great file system and easy to use.

megabyteme
07-20-2015, 07:53 PM
PS3 Media Server. :lol:

shaina
07-21-2015, 01:28 AM
PS3 Media Server. :lol:

What is so funny ..... It is easy to use and I like it :tease: and I said "Universal Media Server" !!!!

megabyteme
07-21-2015, 05:17 AM
It just brought back memories of having high hopes for PS3MS, then finding out it sucked balls. Plex is SOOOOOOO much better.

shaina
07-21-2015, 09:35 AM
It just brought back memories of having high hopes for PS3MS, then finding out it sucked balls. Plex is SOOOOOOO much better.

Before you say that .....read more about transcoding on plex vs UMS.....

megabyteme
07-21-2015, 01:22 PM
Yo mamma transcodes poorly. :snooty:

shaina
07-21-2015, 01:50 PM
Yo mamma transcodes poorly. :snooty:

Shit.. I now need Idol to the rescue from a hostile environment ...OH VEY!! :O

norway
08-21-2015, 07:59 PM
kodi coming never be napster

ravikmr
08-28-2015, 08:45 PM
ya why not it is possible

norway
09-01-2015, 12:24 PM
its not same and kodi are diff to napster, one day are file there nest day are not same like tv ch there

Gribley
09-01-2015, 01:54 PM
This is just a one off return (I shall not repeat).

Really can KODI (XMBC/XBMP) really be the total solution. Yes it can but why the hell would you stream when you can just download from Idols personal vault of all good TV shows via NNTP? Sorry he is actually just a torrent boy....

Anyway get yourself a Pi2, setup an NFS server and enjoy. You can then fanny about with the XXX channels as much as you like within TVaddons (a KODI addon)

Meg:- I transcode to with no I-frames, I`m hard core

megabyteme
09-01-2015, 03:50 PM
This is just a one off return (I shall not repeat).

Really can KODI (XMBC/XBMP) really be the total solution. Yes it can but why the hell would you stream when you can just download from Idols personal vault of all good TV shows via NNTP? Sorry he is actually just a torrent boy....

Anyway get yourself a Pi2, setup an NFS server and enjoy. You can then fanny about with the XXX channels as much as you like within TVaddons (a KODI addon)

Meg:- I transcode to with no I-frames, I`m hard core

:lol: Welcome back, Grimley.

As for your post, I tend to agree. XBMC is great when you find a server offering what you want, but lacks and permanence for a variety of reasons.

Gribley
09-01-2015, 04:25 PM
Just the one more post.... (I`m not coming back and replace my B as much as you like)

It can work via TVaddons and a few extensions but is a pain and why would anyone really bother.

Yes the extensions from Kodi are problematic at best. It is not a good way and I would not choose it myself to watch TV/Films/Other myself. I go only with what I could pass to my parents to use and this isn`t it :(....

The only alternative is really getting on Idols private super secret network or card sharing. Whichever works out cheaper with soul selling.

Meg :- your evil doggy was still the best. Now you have a cute singing penguin so I am very consfused

megabyteme
09-01-2015, 05:56 PM
Now you have a cute singing penguin so I am very consfused

You need to be a fan of Adventure Time to get my joke. This will give you some idea, but what the soul-eating vampire says is true...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k84GYej4_io

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNb0QTdSWFM

IdolEyes787
09-01-2015, 06:37 PM
It can work via TVaddons and a few extensions but is a pain and why would anyone really bother.

Yes the extensions from Kodi are problematic at best. It is not a good way and I would not choose it myself to watch TV/Films/Other myself. I go only with what I could pass to my parents to use and this isn`t it :(....

The only problem with demanding everything to be perfect is that nothing really is.

shaina
09-02-2015, 02:43 AM
Welcome back, Gribley.

Fixed ;)

And I second that!!

Nice to see you here Gribley and sharing your thoughts :D

The only problem with demanding everything to be perfect is that nothing really is.

So what format do you prefer to stream or use??

I still like to use .avi first and foremost for everyday movies, mp4 for tv series, and full action movies .TS(true BD rips 30-50gigs) or .mkv.
All of those seem to play in anything and can be streamed without any degrading (wired not Wi-Fi).
I am really noticing a few guys posting using .mp4 in 720 and 1080 formats with smaller files (loose sound quality)...
And any re encode is going to have lesser quality from the true BD rip..

IdolEyes787
09-02-2015, 02:04 PM
So what format do you prefer to stream or use??

I still like to use .avi first and foremost for everyday movies, mp4 for tv series, and full action movies .TS(true BD rips 30-50gigs) or .mkv.
All of those seem to play in anything and can be streamed without any degrading (wired not Wi-Fi).
I am really noticing a few guys posting using .mp4 in 720 and 1080 formats with smaller files (loose sound quality)...
And any re encode is going to have lesser quality from the true BD rip..

Generally as a rule, trout.

Then again I was raised on the principle that what a fish looks like isn't as important as it's taste.

PS Until this precise moment I wasn't aware that you were ghey.Not that I didn't have my suspicions mind you.

Oh sorry,shay. I thought I was talking to Grimbley.

Gribley
09-02-2015, 03:04 PM
Oh sorry,shay. I thought I was talking to Grimbley.

Why because he wasn`t being a direct arse or just because you couldn`t read an English sentence?

... and now I`ve posted once more where I said I wouldn`t. Some might think me an a-hole if I offered up fake torrent share invitations so at least I can bubble up beyond that pond scum level

For shay (as I already replied anyway).
My fav is going for NFS shares from the main PC (on 24/7 anyway and has own UPS - bit overkill granted). I then use TVersity as a UPnP service (but I have to softice each time to get past the online license check but that is fine for personal use :)). NFS services are supplied via HaneWIN nfs server.
Clients are:- my tv (the upnp requirement) and a couple of Pi2`s (bedroom and kitchen). Network wise is all cat5e with a switch in the loft (attic?) and one down in the living room (lounge?). Kitchen is serviced via a powerline adaptor (just because it was easy and nothing more required)

I must recommend a Pi2 with OpenElec.... unless I was Idol, in that case I would install a gudgeon and boast a lot about the size of my fish based server

I now return to waiting for the 1/2 Gb update for World of Tanks (couple on mins). I hope to meet Idol one day on the battlefield

mjmacky
09-02-2015, 04:01 PM
What the fuck? Meg, why do you keep describing Kodi as a niche external streaming player or whatever definition you gave? It plays local files just like Plex, and there are extensions that allow it to play linked, external content.

The original question is poorly thought out. Shame. Shame. Shame.

IdolEyes787
09-02-2015, 04:02 PM
The difference between you and me Gribly is that I only pretend to think I know everything while you apparently honestly believe you know everything.

Concerning those "fake" invites .I suggest you ask about their veracity to the people that I gave them to.

PS Not an actual battlefield. Anyway my preferred form of conflict resolution involves more understanding and compromise and failing that alcohol and parking lots and less the ghey pixels and pastie skin so highly unlikely.:)

Gribley
09-02-2015, 04:13 PM
The difference between you and me Gribly
OK you still can`t spell my handle/name. Well done on that front, I`m am very upset.

Did you not pretend to leave and ask people to beg for invites that you offered? Do I know if anyone ever got an invite?, no... and why would I as you did it private

If you want to go to your local parking lot and show yourself as you really are (and if you walk away) then I`ll be happy to take your living status as not the a-hole you project

IdolEyes787
09-02-2015, 04:31 PM
Did you not pretend to leave and ask people to beg for invites that you offered?

No and no.I wanted to leave as this place is like banging your head against a brick wall only not nearly as fun but I'm apparently a junkie and this is my crack and I did give invites away and not that you care, obviously but to my regret as several of those people turned out to be dicks.:smilie4:

Sorry I didn't understand the last part beyond "wahhhh" so I can't comment on that except why do people, supposed adults no less use stuff like a-hole or f@#k when everybody viewing it simply reads it as asshole and fuck anyway?

Before you reply please remember that you said you were only going to post the once and you've already gone back on that word,liar.

Gribley
09-02-2015, 04:32 PM
Going to call it enough now.

I know the way this will go and is yet again nothing to do with the original topic.

I am going back to the happy NZB section and ignoring your fine self Mr Idle

I posted this without reading your latest episode. Do I cry, yes, just like all real people.

IdolEyes787
09-02-2015, 04:37 PM

I know the way this will go and is yet again nothing to do with the original topic.

ie Things didn't go the way I wanted so I'm taking my toys and going home.

Before that though it should noted that you were the one that originally derailed it , unnecessarily bringing your unhealthy obsession with me into it.:mellow:

Gribley
09-02-2015, 04:42 PM
That will indeed be your point of view forever

IdolEyes787
09-02-2015, 04:59 PM
Probably because it's true. :smilie4:

Also there you go with the absolutes, thinking that you somehow know everything.

Answer me this.Did you or did you not try to bait me in your first two posts in this thread, knowing full well what would likely follow?

Seriously Gribey is you need someone to blame for what has transpired maybe first consider yourself.

Gribley
09-02-2015, 05:11 PM
Did you or did you not try to bait me in your first two posts in this thread, knowing full well what would likely follow?
True, I need to stop and so should you too :- On a general posting baiting level thread

Rgds
Grib (or grim if you like)

megabyteme
09-02-2015, 05:16 PM
What the fuck? Meg, why do you keep describing Kodi as a niche external streaming player or whatever definition you gave? It plays local files just like Plex, and there are extensions that allow it to play linked, external content.

The original question is poorly thought out. Shame. Shame. Shame.

I'll play around with that functionality. Suppose I am a creature of habit, going with what has worked well for me. You are right, it will do just about anything media wise.

shaina
09-02-2015, 07:06 PM
I posted this without reading your latest episode. Do I cry, yes, just like all real people.

There is plenty of room for everyone here and there is no need for you to feel uncomfortable of anybody.... There is people here that do appreciate your presence here and also your help or opinions...
I find ignoring the bad parts of some people do turn them around here, and they do show there good sides sooner or later...
I will not take sides on anybody anymore, But I can say "Two Wrongs Don't Make a Right" :yup:....
I think there is room for everyone that wants to post here and choose who they want to respond too....
It would be nice if everyone could get along but we know that is not going to happen, but don't ever think there is not people here who don't appreciate your presence here and that goes as well for Idol...
It is time to bury the hatchet and move on, no matter how hard that is, this place is just words on a page, some good, some bad, some helpful, and some you just need to ignore ...
In my opinion here, you are both assets to this place :hug: , and have your purpose.......

Probably because it's true. :smilie4:
Also there you go with the absolutes, thinking that you somehow know everything.
Answer me this.Did you or did you not try to bait me in your first two posts in this thread, knowing full well what would likely follow?
Seriously Gribey is you need someone to blame for what has transpired maybe first consider yourself.

Are you trying to make yourself out as an Angel?? LOL!!

You just have to realize not everyone here gets you, and your sense of humour:idunno:
You really are an acquired taste.......:whistling

I looked up Kodi's format support... It looks like it plays everything... well??, I have no clue, but then again, I don't own anything that uses it.
Maybe In the future, but not right now....

mjmacky
09-02-2015, 11:08 PM

Shut up and go away. I tried asking Meg an on topic question, but you keep distracting the thread with your off topic banter.

I lied when I said banter, but I'm not going to apologize because it really fit the tone and syntax.

shaina
09-02-2015, 11:47 PM
Shut up and go away. I tried asking Meg an on topic question, but you keep distracting the thread with your off topic banter.
I lied when I said banter, but I'm not going to apologize because it really fit the tone and syntax.

:nono: :noes: :nono: :noes:

Gribley
09-03-2015, 06:33 AM

Valid comment, I was dicking about with-in the subtext whilst including actual real detail to cover. Yes I will stop

shaina
09-03-2015, 07:07 AM
Valid comment, I was dicking about with-in the subtext whilst including actual real detail to cover. Yes I will stop

Jeez!!... if you and Macky stick around more, I am going to move to the word section only. I can't understand all these technical words you are using :unsure:

Remember I am just a simple guy posting here :drunk: :stars:

mjmacky
09-03-2015, 07:09 PM

I wanted to paste the definition of gullible from the online version of the Merriam-Webster dictionary, but it doesn't even show up in the search results.

Then, I looked up irony, and it said it was an adjective describing something with a metallic appearance or taste.

shaina
09-03-2015, 08:56 PM
I wanted to paste the definition of gullible from the online version of the Merriam-Webster dictionary, but it doesn't even show up in the search results.
Then, I looked up irony, and it said it was an adjective describing something with a metallic appearance or taste.

I don't get it...:idunno:, could you explain in a more simplified manner in the future :lol:

mjmacky
09-04-2015, 06:04 AM

I don't get it...:idunno:, could you explain in a more simplified manner in the future :lol:
Simply put, I'm a rotten liar.

shaina
09-04-2015, 04:12 PM

Macky.... I feel the conflict in you...... Release the hate!!:lol:.... So the Good will come out!!!:unsure:

:batman:

mjmacky
09-06-2015, 08:26 PM

Macky.... I feel the conflict in you...... Release the hate!!:lol:.... So the Good will come out!!!:unsure:

My spermies aren't as vengeful as you make them out to be.

shaina
09-07-2015, 04:47 AM
I meant your mind Macky, not your creation stick :huh:

mjmacky
09-07-2015, 05:50 PM
Don't be so coy just because I explicitly addressed what you were shyly thinking. You have all kinds of linear, spherical, and tear drop shapes swimming in your mind.

shaina
09-09-2015, 02:17 PM
Don't be so coy just because I explicitly addressed what you were shyly thinking. You have all kinds of linear, spherical, and tear drop shapes swimming in your mind.

:unsure: :idunno: :huh:

mjmacky
09-11-2015, 04:15 AM

Cock thoughts have that effect.

shaina
09-11-2015, 07:03 AM

Ya what female pussy or ass to put it in.... If I have given you any other reasons to think otherwise, you are mistaken, I don't do farm animals:lol:

mjmacky
09-12-2015, 10:37 AM

Ya what female pussy or ass to put it in.... If I have given you any other reasons to think otherwise, you are mistaken, I don't do farm animals:lol:
Don't knock farm animals until you've knocked farm animals. Just ask Meg. Better yet, ask Art the next time he pops in.

megabyteme
09-12-2015, 08:02 PM
Still disturbed about Art's farm hand story with the horse. :sick:

mjmacky
09-13-2015, 01:09 AM
Still disturbed about Art's farm hand story with the horse. :sick:
You sure? I was thinking that's what inspired you to set up your own.

twenty1
10-05-2015, 12:05 PM
Just wanted to pipe in with my 2 cents...

I've used Plex (still do) over the last God knows how many years. It is very easy to navigate and there isn't any waiting for streams to load or buffer issues and the quality is whatever quality I download.

I went back and forth with XBMC for a long while. I finally broke down and got a fire stick. Threw Kodi on it...took about a week to add TV shows and movies in my favorites and library and fully customize it. My 13yr old has no issues navigating and playing the shows. My 8yr old 90% of the time watches sports via sportsdevil on kodi and doesn't have any problems navigating to it since it's on the homescreen.
When watching TV shows on Kodi I usually just choose "LQ" for no buffering issues. The quality isn't crap so it all works...for me
The only recent issue I had was with sportsdevil and the streams not loading. Quick search on google let me know that it needed an update :-)

Time from time the kids will use plex for some TV shows, but they mostly use Kodi for that now and Plex for movie watching since everything is in the highest quality :-)

postcd
11-24-2015, 10:25 AM
So is/will be there any functionality to the Kodi that will allow media file sharing like in Napster?

Funkin'
01-15-2016, 01:13 AM
I'll be ordering a fire stick tomorrow. And instead of searching I'm just coming to this thread to ask a million questions about it and Kodi.

Just a heads up fools

megabyteme
01-15-2016, 02:57 AM
I'll be ordering a fire stick tomorrow. And instead of searching I'm just coming to this thread to ask a million questions about it and Kodi.

Just a heads up fools

Consider buying the $100 version, if possible. You'll be happier long-term, I think.

Good to see you, Funkin'. :happy:

mjmacky
01-15-2016, 09:37 AM

Just a heads up fools

Get an Android media box instead of an Amazon branded product. You'll have probably twice the amount of questions, but it'll be worth it. I have a cheaper generic one, but I've been completely happy with it ever since I set it up.

megabyteme
01-15-2016, 12:36 PM
Get an Android media box instead of an Amazon branded product. You'll have probably twice the amount of questions, but it'll be worth it. I have a cheaper generic one, but I've been completely happy with it ever since I set it up.

What are the benefits, Mary? Personally, I enjoy the heck out of my Amazon Prime benefits. What am I missing out on by using the Amazon boxes?

anon
01-15-2016, 04:33 PM
Semi-related: it says Napster in the thread title, and I stumbled upon a quite interesting article about that recently.

http://thoughtcatalog.com/ali-aydar/2014/08/do-you-remember-napster-this-was-what-it-was-like-working-for-them/

mjmacky
01-15-2016, 09:41 PM

What are the benefits, Mary? Personally, I enjoy the heck out of my Amazon Prime benefits. What am I missing out on by using the Amazon boxes?
I'm in a situation where I can't rely on streaming speeds, so it's all schedule for download and watch in a few days.

They simply handle the content with ease, and there's a stable version of Kodi that runs on Android. I control it with my phone, and it has optical out for my soundbar. It's like, ideal. I only wish I spent a little more to get the one that can decode H.265 so that I can feel superior.