PDA

View Full Version : What is your media streaming choice at home and away?

Intr4ns1t
08-07-2015, 03:30 PM
I'm looking for a new way to access all my media on other machines than the torrenting computer, and I am looking for something simple to install, setup, and use. I don't want it to rename files or change them in any manner. What do you recommend?

jbloggs
08-07-2015, 06:55 PM
Plex works really well.

megabyteme
08-07-2015, 09:09 PM
I'd give a second nod to Plex. Works for me on PC-PC, PC-Phone (local and remote), PC-Tablet, and PC-FireTV. Very few problems.

Enlightened
08-08-2015, 12:05 AM
Roku 3 and chromecast ,"Play To " feature in windows 8.1 >> PC >> TV

megabyteme
08-08-2015, 03:11 AM

So you are suggesting he purchase 2 devices that he doesn't have, then hook his television to his PC.

Much better than a $5 (or free) program that will allow him to stream to any of his devices. :yup:

pootystomp
08-08-2015, 05:50 AM

So you are suggesting he purchase 2 devices that he doesn't have, then hook his television to his PC.

Much better than a $5 (or free) program that will allow him to stream to any of his devices. :yup:

Fuckin eh, Plex is amazing. I have used it for 5+ years and it's always getting better. The only problem I have is no support for video_ts, used to work fine but they stripped it out a few years ago. I am still slowly moving my collection to mkv.

You'd have to be high to use win 8.1 play to........oh wait, nevermind

Enlightened
08-08-2015, 08:40 AM

Fuckin eh, Plex is amazing. I have used it for 5+ years and it's always getting better. The only problem I have is no support for video_ts, used to work fine but they stripped it out a few years ago. I am still slowly moving my collection to mkv.

Yeah, I must be high to Upload 10 TB of my Media to Plex.LOL
Furthermore,with Chromecast, I can do screen mirroring,and choose any file I need to play instantly from any external drive,Roku 3 . I can watch Netflix, hulu +, HBO and 3,000 more channels,,,,,,I think we are comparing apples and Oranges

And one does not even needf a Smart TV to use roku 3 and chromecast.......

All u need is a HDMI ports

Intr4ns1t
08-08-2015, 04:25 PM
I would need to install Plex on all these devices then? What are the advantages/disadvantages of paying for it? Is it worth it to do so? I don't really need anything fancy, I just want to stream my stuff. Also, I don't even own a TV of any sort, so the Roku is out.

Enlightened
08-08-2015, 07:28 PM
I would need to install Plex on all these devices then? What are the advantages/disadvantages of paying for it? Is it worth it to do so? I don't really need anything fancy, I just want to stream my stuff. Also, I don't even own a TV of any sort, so the Roku is out.

Looks like Plex is the winner for u,if u do NOT EVEN OWN A TV then, I guess u can stream it onto your cell phone,ipad,Tablet?? - best of all, u won't have to spend a dime !!!

megabyteme
08-08-2015, 09:46 PM

You install Plex Media Server on your main PC, then find the appropriate Plex App for your device(s) does PC-PC, also. There's no real advantage to paying for it, but it is one of a handful that I have purchased anyway. They update regularly and aren't bothersome. They have a "premium" service which adds features and lets you use new ones before anyone else, but it is great as is.

NOT EVEN OWN A TV then, I guess u can stream it onto your cell phone,ipad,Tablet??

:dry:

idzeshan
08-20-2015, 02:13 PM
Roku 3 i think

toddkim
08-26-2015, 08:20 AM
Use Plex, it works.

shaina
09-05-2015, 07:53 AM
QUOTE=megabyteme;3771442]You install Plex Media Server on your main PC, then find the appropriate Plex App for your device(s) does PC-PC, also. There's no real advantage to paying for it, but it is one of a handful that I have purchased anyway. They update regularly and aren't bothersome. They have a "premium" service which adds features and lets you use new ones before anyone else, but it is great as is.[/QUOTE]

Just follow the link Meg and compare...:)

http://www.universalmediaserver.com/comparison/

Any .TS (true Blu-ray rip) , .iso (DVD) and a few more just don't work on plex, plus MKV video is degraded using plex :idunno:

megabyteme
09-05-2015, 09:02 AM
I've never degraded an MKV. Heck, I've got a friend who's an MKV... :no:

shaina
09-05-2015, 09:23 AM
I've never degraded an MKV. Heck, I've got a friend who's an MKV... :no:

You know what i meant smart-ass !!:) .mkv extension/encoding :D
If you read the specks on the media server you would see the difference, plus a lot of people prefer run a UPNP media server,and UMS puts all the software needed in the install, and it picks up every type player, so you don't have to load all those codec packs....
It definitely works better for me:yup:

:batman:

norway
09-10-2015, 09:43 AM
what you use for see this 3000 ch????

Funkin'
11-20-2015, 11:11 PM

Furthermore,with Chromecast, I can do screen mirroring,and choose any file I need to play instantly from any external drive,Roku 3 . I can watch Netflix, hulu +, HBO and 3,000 more channels,,,,,,I think we are comparing apples and Oranges

This is what I need to get then. Either this or a fire stick. I've been wanting to stream downloaded movies to my tv.

I mean I have xfinity and Netflix but they don't have everything.

So I stream hd from my computer to my hdtv with fire stick or Chromecast without installing any kind of app on it? Or do I need something for the dongle to read my external drives?

Plus do I keep the drives on the computer or hook it to my tv?

Dumb questions, new to this type of streaming.

Enlightened
11-21-2015, 03:47 AM

This is what I need to get then. Either this or a fire stick. I've been wanting to stream downloaded movies to my tv.

I mean I have xfinity and Netflix but they don't have everything.

So I stream hd from my computer to my hdtv with fire stick or Chromecast without installing any kind of app on it? Or do I need something for the dongle to read my external drives?

Plus do I keep the drives on the computer or hook it to my tv?

Dumb questions, new to this type of streaming.

If you decide to use PLEX, you can incorporate it to your Smart TV - Samsung Hub,ROKU 3 or 4,Chromecast using Chrome Browser,just cast from the Tab,with the PLEX Apps installed.

One of the great features of PLEX,i is it transcoder,which plays most Video format,except VOB files. With Chromecast, the best video player use is Videostream,which you have to pay for the Premium,if you want all the features, like Playlist and Subs.

With Roku 3 or 4, as long as you have the PLEX Media Server set up,all you need to do is install the PLEX apps and use the Remote of Roku to control your play,the PLEX apps with link tit to the PLEX server with a Code.

With my Samsung Smart TV,I install the PLEX App, and use my Samsung remote to control playback.

Yes, PLEX is a great App.. once, I realized how powerful this piece of Application and flexibility it offers

P.S, - I found PLEX to be a really great,when I run an entire TV season on a Playlist, and watch one episode after another and able to Resume anda timer ready to watch the next episode.

ajsahi
12-03-2015, 04:59 AM
i think Comcast and pelx are good for this

Enlightened
12-09-2015, 11:56 AM
Also, I found that if the Media files are compressed by Handbrake, the streaming is smoother,and again a Dual Band router would not hurt too....

Antibody
12-12-2015, 01:50 PM
Popcorntime or usequential

0ctane
02-07-2016, 07:07 PM
Use plex on all my devices recommended , also maybe try Emby it's like plex :)