PDA

View Full Version : Ribbed Shank

JPaul
10-25-2015, 10:37 AM
Wahey

I just heard the bloke on Shedheads saying "This screw has a ribbed shank"

It was like innuendo overload.

I really had to look it up on the interweb obviously and this is an explanation supplied.

"My intuition is that the quarter inch of steeply pitched fluting is designed to ream out the passage in the outer member being joined, or at least ream out the outer 3/4" of 'hole'. Conceivably, this might reduce friction when driving in the screw over the final 3/4""

The interweb is the best thing in the World ... ever

Something Else
10-25-2015, 07:20 PM
:lol:

That was so disgusting / I'm very turned on.

I made it my mission to glitter up everyone in the club last night. Managed about 70% coverage. I made friends with all the staff tho' and they invited me back for free drinks any time. :smilie4:

JPaul
10-25-2015, 07:53 PM
You made friends with all of the staff and they invited you back for free drinks.

Grooming is clearly alive and well, though it may have lost it's taste.

Something Else
10-26-2015, 01:05 PM
I also did some cottaging and bought RedBulls for the toilet attendants. True story.

JPaul
10-26-2015, 09:53 PM
Cottaging, with toilet attendants.

You really are as posh as a nice oxblood brogue.

Something Else
10-26-2015, 09:54 PM
Chased thro' the halls by a fag, no doubt. It's all gone a bit Stephen Fry-shaped.

TheFoX
10-31-2015, 12:45 PM
Why didn't they just say, 'Self Tapping'?

JPaul
10-31-2015, 04:49 PM
I can only guess, but I think it's because that's a different thing.

TheFoX
11-07-2015, 06:10 AM
You think? You're not sure though, are you?

I used ribbed flute self tappers all the time, when attaching a timer module to the controller body, as it cuts nicely into the aluminium casing.

JPaul
11-07-2015, 05:10 PM
You think? You're not sure though, are you?

I used ribbed flute self tappers all the time, when attaching a timer module to the controller body, as it cuts nicely into the aluminium casing.

Clearly you can't read, I was replying to your question "Why didn't they just say, 'Self Tapping'?"

I don't actually know why they didn't say "Self Tapping", I can only conjecture on the reason. Hence, my answer.

Re you using something which is both "self tapping" and has a "ribbed flute". Whilst I am sure it is a fine product (I wouldn't know, it sounds awfully like manual labour) that does not make "self tapping" and "ribbed shank" synonymous.

You do know that "flute" and "shank" are different words ... or am I assuming too much.

Rat Faced
11-08-2015, 09:16 PM
Maybe he was was using a ribbed flute and self tapping whilst having a shank? :unsure:

JPaul
11-09-2015, 06:10 PM
I think that's the only sensible explanation.

Something Else
11-09-2015, 06:24 PM
A Bill Shankly fluted ribbing to be precise.